Regency Bruin Theatre

948 Broxton Avenue,
Los Angeles, CA 90024

larrygoldsmith
larrygoldsmith on April 27, 2008 at 1:29 pm

No matter what site your in, don’t even bother if “PHOTOBUCKET” is available for pictures……they’re never there, just deleted.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on April 10, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Some of the links are dead. They are all posted by users, rather than by the site, and sometimes the users don’t keep their Photobucket (or Webshots or whatever site they’ve linked to) accounts, or they run out of space and remove older photos to make room for new ones. I do still see hollywood90038’s three photos of the Bruin linked on October 28 last year, though.

Clarkus
Clarkus on April 10, 2008 at 10:11 pm

Am I the only one who gets the message “This image or video has been moved or deleted” when I click on the countless Photo Bucket links on this website?

BradE41
BradE41 on February 12, 2008 at 10:47 am

I tried to cover the same time period for the Bruin as I did for the Village; this is what I remember for Summer 1979 through 1986. My memory is shaky during early 1983 so I did not pursue dates.

1979

6/15 PROPHECY (5 Weeks)
7/20 THE FRISCO KID (4 Weeks)
8/17 MONTY PYTHON’S LIFE OF BRIAN (6 Weeks)
9/28 TIME AFTER TIME (5 Weeks)
11/2 RUNNING (6 Weeks)
12/14 CHAPTER TWO (14 Weeks)

1980
3/28 SERIAL (4 Weeks)
4/25 WHERE THE BUFFALO ROAM (3 Weeks)
5/16 THE HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS (5 Weeks)
6/20 ROUGH CUT (2 Weeks)
7/4 AIRPLANE! (12 Weeks)
9/26 ORDINARY PEOPLE (11 Weeks)
12/10 THE COMPETITION (12 Weeks)

1981
3/6 ALL NIGHT LONG (5 Weeks)
4/10 NIGHTHAWKS (6 Weeks)
5/22 OUTLAND (6 Weeks)
7/3 S.O.B. (4 Weeks)
7/31 VICTORY (4 Weeks)
8/28 GALLIPOLI (4 Weeks)
9/25 CHARIOTS OF FIRE (12 Weeks)
12/18 SHARKY’S MACHINE (7 Weeks)

1982
2/5 PERSONAL BEST (8 Weeks)
4/2 CHARIOTS OF FIRE (RE:4 Weeks)
4/30 PARTNERS (3 Weeks)
5/21 THE ROAD WARRIOR (3 Weeks)
6/11 GREASE 2 (2 Weeks)
6/25 BLADE RUNNER (4 Weeks)
7/23 THE WORLD ACCORDING TO GARP (11 Weeks)
10/8 LOOKIN’ TO GE T OUT (2 Weeks)
10/22 IT CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD (2 Weeks)
11/11 LOVE CHILD (1 Week)
11/18 TEX (3 Weeks)
12/10 THE TOY (?)

1983
THE LORDS OF DISCIPLINE, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (Re-Issue), MAN, WOMAN AND CHILD, EXPOSED, HAMMETT, TRADING PLACES, BEYOND THE LIMIT, THE DEAD ZONE, TERMS OF ENDEARMENT

1984
POLICE ACADEMY, THE NATURAL, GREMLINS, CLOAK & DAGGER, FLASHPOINT, PLACES IN THE HEART, THE LITTLE DRUMMER GIRL, FALLING IN LOVE, CITY HEAT

1985
TUFF TURF, THAT’S DANCING!, WITNESS, GOTCHA!, FLETCH, MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME, SUMMER RENTAL, KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN, AFTER HOURS, THAT WAS THEN THIS IS NOW, JAGGED EDGE (MO), SPIES LIKE US, CLUE (one week), SPIES LIKE US (switched back after a week with Regent who took CLUE booking)

1986
DOWN AND OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS, GUNG HO, AT CLOSE RANGE, POLTERGEIST II:THE OTHER SIDE, FERRIS BUELLER’S DAY OFF, TOP GUN (MO), CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD, CROCODILE DUNDEE (MO), LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS

William
William on December 6, 2007 at 6:53 pm

That last shot of the interior of the Bruin was taken from the Mann Theatres web site.

markinthedark
markinthedark on October 29, 2007 at 6:00 pm

In light of what is happening with the National, the Rialto and other single-screeners, I was a bit disappointed that the Cinematreasures are holding their meeting to discuss theatre preservation etc. at the brand-spanking-new Landmark 12!!! Less than 2 miles away from Westwood Village, the densest grouping of open single screeners in the country. Are they serious? Are they serious about preservation?

I expressed my disappointment here:

Feel free to express your feelings as well.

BradE41
BradE41 on October 9, 2007 at 9:47 am

I worked at the Village (1980-1982) and remember the backstage not being too deep beyond the screen.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on October 9, 2007 at 9:44 am

William, I’ve been in all the Westwood Village theaters, but I don’t know the Village’s stage size or whether it could be expanded. If you or others know, please comment directly on the Village page rather than here, on the Bruin page.

William
William on October 9, 2007 at 9:36 am

In your travels Howard tell us about the stage at the Village to put on shows.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on October 9, 2007 at 9:22 am

In 3 years the leases are up on the Village & Bruin. I’ve heard they are both in the red (despite premieres) & won’t still be operated by Mann. Both exteriors are legally protected, but interiors could become retail, restaurant, etc. In my opinion, “saving” the Village for continued entertainment including some movies (perhaps like the Warner Grand in San Pedro and the Alex in Glendale but also with some premieres) is very important, more so than the National which appears doomed altogether. Don’t expect Mann to plex around them like the Dome. Look for somebody else!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 11, 2007 at 7:33 pm

I went to a premiere of a Bond film in 1985 at the Bruin. My roommate worked for Mann Theaters at the time. As we were filing in on the red carpet, someone in the audience shouted out “How did those two losers get in?”. People are cruel. After the movie, we tried to get into the food area but were tossed by the guards. We ended up at Hamburger Hamlet.

haineshisway
haineshisway on August 29, 2007 at 6:21 am

Nope, sadly the Hamlet is now a Jerry’s Deli. Feh.

ronhale
ronhale on August 29, 2007 at 6:13 am

We moved away from L.A. 12 years ago. Is there still a Hamburger Hamlet directly next door to the Bruin? We would eat there and could watch as the line formed. When the line reached the middle of the Hamlet, we knew it was time to get in line.

markinthedark
markinthedark on August 21, 2007 at 10:20 am

Saw Drew Barrymore there once…

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on June 12, 2007 at 2:15 pm

HOW DOES THE THEATER DO ….

mistertopps
mistertopps on June 12, 2007 at 2:02 pm

One of the best screenings I’ve ever been to was at the Bruin. For the Thursday sneak of Snakes on a Plane, someone brought two huge trash bags full of rubber snakes, and would throw them throughout the audience at the appropriate times during the movie. There was constant hissing as well. And when Sam finally exclaimed his classic line (“I want these mf snakes of this mf plane”), there was literally a standing ovation. You couldn’t even hear him finish his line because everyone was cheering at the top of their lungs. Cinematic experiences like that are truly priceless.

Oh— and Heather Graham was there too. How random!

haineshisway
haineshisway on May 25, 2007 at 6:47 am

I attended many movies at the Bruin, all throughout the mid-50s to the present. If you’d like to see classic shots of the exterior and interior from days of old, it’s featured in John Frankenheimer’s first film, The Young Stranger, with great exterior shots and lobby shots (as well as street shots of then Westwood – it’s available on a region 2 DVD), and, from the earlly 60s, Hall Bartlett’s The Caretakers, where we get great exterior shots of Polly Bergen walking up to the theater and buying a ticket, then great lobby shots as she enters the theater, and best of all, great auditorium shots when she goes beserk and runs up in front of the screen.

Amusingly, I saw a sneak preview of The Caretakers AT the Bruin – it was quite odd to be sitting in the auditorium watching Miss Bergen go berserk in the same auditorium!

MovieDude
MovieDude on October 27, 2006 at 12:28 pm

(Sorry, Gang…there appears to have been a glitch in the Matrix.)

MovieDude
MovieDude on October 27, 2006 at 10:19 am

Thanks, William! I have a call into Carl. Another projectionist recommended I do the same in contacting him.

I’ve done the platter projectionist thing back in Ohio for what was $3.50/hr, I think. Tragic. That was over ten years ago. I still think there are niches of opportunity out here, I just imagine they’re not to the multitude of Hollywood’s former glory.

Thanks, again!

MovieDude
MovieDude on October 27, 2006 at 10:18 am

Thanks, again!

MovieDude
MovieDude on October 27, 2006 at 10:00 am

Thanks, again!

MovieDude
MovieDude on October 27, 2006 at 9:59 am

Thanks, again!

William
William on October 26, 2006 at 11:50 am

Try calling Local-150 and talk to Carl the Business Agent about work in the Los Angeles area. Because theatre projection does not pay the good rates as it once did. Because most of the staffing is done by the managers & assistants or the ushers types nowadays. Your about 10 years late on making fair money at this trade in Los Angeles. I use to work the Bel-Air circuit in Beverly Hills, Bel-Air and Malibu and the studio stuff, when I was based in Los Angeles. There was so much work and theatres to work at that time. Other then working in management or as a usher/projectionist, you might give Carl a call.

MovieDude
MovieDude on October 26, 2006 at 9:48 am

MESSAGE FOR THOMAS L. and OTHER PROJECTIONISTS!

Hey Gang! My name is Todd and I learned the trade on carbon-arc projectors in college back in 1988. I currently freelance as a projectionist in Los Angeles in people’s private homes, at talent agencies, etc. I also work the Palm Springs Int'l Film Festival in January.

I’m wondering if any esteemed and tenured fellow projectionists know of any full or part-time work at your own wonderful venues or in the L.A. area in general. I simply love this work…and have the greatest respect for it!

Thanks in advance for any help!