Uptown Theater

3426 Connecticut Avenue NW,
Washington, DC 20008

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 12, 2010 at 7:41 am

I saw yesterday “Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows” Uptown wasn’t using its curtain, but does some days. I wish they’d turn house lights down during the trailers. Surround sound in the balcony was excellent.

They are aiming to equip for 3 D for Tron 3 D, but not sure yet. It is a challenge to obtain huge new screen.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on December 9, 2010 at 1:10 am

I suppose we’ll just have to check this one out … :D I doubt AMC would close it now after investing money into this new projection system. Sell it? Maybe.

Giles on December 8, 2010 at 8:18 pm

I would assume since AMC has favoured Sony 4K I don’t think it’d be anything less… of course if AMC wasn’t wedded to Sony, the Christie and Barco (4K DLP) systems are more ideal for ultra large 75+feet screens (i.e, Seattle’s Cinerama with the first commercial installation of Christie’s Solaria 4K DLP projector) – even though AMC had initially planned to ETX the Uptown’s screen, which would have made the ticket price even higher, under that scenario they might have put BACK some of the speakers, (an extra subwoofer and two heights speakers behind the screen

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on December 8, 2010 at 9:16 am

Hmmm. IMAX or Uptown? IMAX supposedly has what..40,000..watts of power to their speakers? Is their DP system 4K? I haven’t enjoyed a really decent Uptown presentation in years. And remember from Steve Guttag’s post about AMC decontenting the theater by taking out speakers?

Giles on December 8, 2010 at 9:15 am

pessimistic aren’t we?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on December 8, 2010 at 9:01 am

Another AMC theater that they will probibly close because it’s a single screen theater.

Giles on December 8, 2010 at 8:45 am

It’s official! Fandango has denoted that the Uptown will be presenting ‘Tron Legacy’ in REAL-D 3D – max ticket price of $14.75

Giles on November 12, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Warner’s is REALLY pushing the new Harry Potter film (Deathly Hollows) not only is there a 12:01 (Friday morning) screening, but there’s also a 3:30AM (!) screening too – I’d be very surprised to know who goes to THAT screening.

Giles on September 10, 2010 at 12:51 pm

the plus of having digital projection on such a big screen, would be that the image and specifically the light output and consistent color balance would be superior to the subpar mass produced 35mm prints the Uptown sometimes gets.

back to XTC, like XD there are more speakers used behind the screen to produce a fuller soundscape – similiar to what IMAX screens use. XTC and XD screens also can playback 7.1 sound – I’m not sure that is what the Uptown needs, since alot of the audiences – those sitting in the balcony wouldn’t be able to hear the side channels of sound

Giles on September 10, 2010 at 12:43 pm

XTC screen is AMC’s theatre version of Cinemark’s XD screen – it’s the IMAX alternative so they can playback any movie on the digital projection system. Because of the size of the Uptown’s screen it’d make sense to have a system that can playback 4K enchanced DLP – Barco, Christie and NEC projector’s can do this as well as Sony’s digital projection system.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 10, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I don’t see what’s so special about 2 k digital projection. What’s an XTC screen?

Giles on September 10, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I don’t know how many speakers are implemented on AMC’s XTC’s screens but hey why not go with the flow and have AMC convert the Uptown screen as such. I’d assume there are at least 6 speakers behind the screen already. I’d think that with Barco DP system able to display such a bright and colorful image on the Cinemark Egyptian screen there ’s no reason why the Uptown can’t have digital projection as well. Is the curved screen really that problamatic?, isn’t the screen comparable to the Arclight’s screen size and curvature?

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on September 9, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I guess the lobby work ad on 2001 was thrown in the trash.I wouldn’t card it a lobby card.Never seen a lobby card that big.Never noticed other theatres promoting 2001 in such a big way.Would have loved to had it.I do have the original one sheet from 1968.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on September 9, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Interior, also from Jack Coursey:

Lkoger
Lkoger on July 22, 2010 at 6:14 am

The revival of “Ben Hur” at the Uptown in ‘99 or '00 was 35mm. They held it for a week. Despite the fact that it wasn’t in 70mm, it was still a sight to behold on the Uptown’s massive Cinerama screen. And as a bonus, it was presented in it’s original “Roadshow” presentation – Overture, Intermission, Entr'Acte, and Exit music. Now that’s entertainment!

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on July 21, 2010 at 9:24 pm

I doubt it was 70mm. AFI had it in 70mm last year or fairly recently. I missed it. :P Or maybe it was 10 Commandments.

If they can do digital now on 60ft screens at the IMAX-lite and Cinemark XD venues, they should try retrofitting the Uptown for digital. With the curved screen, they may have to reduce it.

Giles on July 21, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I thought there waa revival showing of ‘Ben Hur’ in 1999 or 2000 – does anyone remember if it was 35mm or 70mm?

Giles on June 21, 2010 at 6:42 pm

oh wow, ‘The A-Team’ looked AND sounded great!! – a nice change from the occasional ratty looking 35mm pirnts the Uptown sometimes gets.

Giles on May 26, 2010 at 8:33 pm

oh I know they don’t give a crap about the Avalon – and given that my money always goes to the non-profit independent theatre – AMC can suck it.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 26, 2010 at 8:20 pm

I’m familiar enough with all these theaters, having written or rewritten their introductions on this website, and seeing movies each year in them. It IS unusual for the same movie to be at all of them. However, I doubt AMC is thinking one bit about the Avalon. I’m guessing AMC is only thinking of one thing: how much money the chain will make at the theaters it is placing this movie at.

Myself, I’m not going to see “Sex and the City 2” at all.

Giles on May 26, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Oh I don’t doubt ‘Sex and the City 2’ won’t be a megahit, I just think it’s rather assholish on AMC’s part to book this at the Uptown and at Mazza (DC/Maryland’s ‘Rodeo Drive’) when the Avalon wants the piece of the pie as well â€" and they should, since they deserve the money more so, in my opinion. Sure AMC has the clout and power to book anything it wants but they continually screw the Avalon over when it comes to the summer Hollywood fare. I’m really surprised that the closeness and proximity between the Avalon and Mazza is not being compromised, I’m sure though AMC would supercede the Avalon’s booking ability

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 26, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Don’t be so harsh. Clearview booked “Sex and the City 2” at the Ziegfeld, so perhaps it is perceived as a mega hit.

Giles on May 26, 2010 at 7:34 pm

in a completely asinine move on AMC’s part: AMC has booked ‘Sex and the City 2’ at the Uptown (and Mazza for that matter) I was hoping for ‘Prince of Persia’ – but no luck.

AGRoura
AGRoura on April 25, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I remember when the Uptown was a neighborhood house in the 50’s. Cinerama was shown at the Warner in downtown.