Uptown Theater

3426 Connecticut Avenue NW,
Washington, DC 20008

Giles
Giles on December 20, 2010 at 2:44 pm

from what I got from asking the knowledgable staff member at the Uptown:

first of all it isn’t a Sony 4K system … thank god.

1) it’s a new Christie 3D2P (DLP) (dual projector) system – some kinks are being worked on, specifially the second projector is not properly displaying the highest luminence/brightness and is also resulting in a slight fish eye image/display, the upper left, lower left, lower right of the screen are curved, but not in the right direction (as JodarMovieFan noted). Once this is corrected, AMC is full recognition of this flaw, and is fixing it, the image will be much brighter and will fit the screen properly. (fingers crossed)

2) it’s a new silver screen

3) no new speakers, but more ampage was added to compensate the audio dynamic range of digital projection’s lossless sound.

4) the 35mm/70mm projector is officially history (i.e, uninstalled)

interestingly, the beginning (and end) of ‘Tron Legacy’ is 2D and I watched them withouth the glasses – once again, and as I have noted before the tinting of the glasses ads unnecessary darkness

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on December 20, 2010 at 6:15 am

I saw Tron in 3D over the weekend as my experience was a mixed bag. The picture and previews were clear but dark. I am guessing they did not install a new screen. The movie had an upward curvature at the bottom corners probably because of the screen’s curved nature. At least that annoying screen rip that I experienced watching “Revenge of the Sith” and “Dreamgirls” is gone. An interesting observation was during the flashbacks, the movie seemed more pixellated. Is this DP’s version of ‘aged film’? I want to see the film again…maybe at the Regal Magestic 20’s IMAX-lite theater since it is new. At least the $10 matinee price is much more palatable at the Uptown’s w i d e screen then $17.50 at an IMAX-lite one.

Showmanship was lacking once again as the curtain was not in use. Surrounds were very good as was the bass but not as booming as say Cinemark’s XD, AMC’s IMAX-lite houses, or the bigger THX auditoriums. There was a warning at the box office about the movie’s presentation and dark spots, but I didn’t notice them. I suspect there needs to be more tweaking to whatever 3D system they have in place. AMC went out of their way to solicit patron experiences as a card was handed out to log on and blog about it. Since I’m a Moviewatcher card holder/member, there was a guest survey request in my email when I got home, which was completed.

For the price and in anticipation of system tweaks, I’d definitely come back. :)

RobertAlex
RobertAlex on December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I sincerely hope that AMC will NOT install a Sony 4K on at the Uptown, the screen is too large and curved for that projector to be effective.
Hopefully they will use a Barco, as Regal did with their large auditoriums out here such as the Ontario Palace, and the Big Newport. Those screens are about 75 foot and 80 feet wide, and although I hate to admit it, both screens now look way better then they did when they used 35mm. Let’s hope the same for this theatre.

I come out to DC two to three times a year for work, and I always make a trip to this gem. By far the best theatre in DC and perhaps the mid Atlantic.

Giles
Giles on December 13, 2010 at 2:22 pm

yeah, I’m eyeing that Thursday midnight show too. As for the sitting not too close, that’s the fun of the Uptown, I know when I was a kid it was blast sitting in the front row, the swoop into the trench of the Death Star in ‘Star Wars’ – weeeeeee, however being older it’s not as fun as say ‘Cloverfield’ with it’s shakey cam which made me want to hurl.

Of the one time I was up at King of Prussia IMAX – the screen size didn’t wow me, although the movie ‘Final Destination 3’ was an utter blast on the large screen: blood, gore, dead teenagers – woohoo!, I’d sooner go west and see an IMAX movie over at the Whitaker Center in Harrisburg – which will be showing ‘Tron Legacy’ in 3D and 15/70mm (IMAX)

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on December 13, 2010 at 6:08 am

Noooooo. I do not feel like driving up to King of Prussia. Though a shopping trip would be nice…

There is a post on the Ziegfeld theatre side about silver screens and that if you aren’t looking at it straight on, then the screen may look ‘dimmer.’ Though I usually try to be seated centered, but to the front of a theater, it explains why some of my viewing experiences may have been darker than expected.

The Uptown is great if you’re centered but not too close to the screen. I remember getting motion sick when I saw Born on the Fourth of July (70mm, ‘88) sitting in the front row. The jerky (docu-style) camera shots were just horrible to watch.

Fandango indicates a midnight Thu showing..hmmm.

Giles
Giles on December 12, 2010 at 8:16 pm

unfortunately JodarMovieFan, Tron Legacy is not opening at any of the three Smithsonian IMAX screens :( they will more than likely show it later in it’s run since Toy Story 3 is playing at Air & Space, and Harry Potter 7 is due shortly over at Natural History.

So I assume the silver screen will not only produce the 3D imagery properly, but also help the colors and brightness have more ‘pop’ – I’m just worried that the Sony system doesn’t hinder either of these on the Uptown’s screen, I know that over at the Cinemark, they boost the light output higher for the 3D engagements, at the time National Amusements were none to pleased when I hadn’t told them about the poor 3D engagement of ‘Bolt’ over at their Fairfax 14 screens – the darkness was the sole problem – they solved the screen AND the light adjustments after I had brought it up. So… to sum all these issues up, I’m really curious to know what AMC has exactly done in converting the Uptown to 3D Sony LCoS Digital projection.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 12, 2010 at 11:15 am

JodarMovieFan, 3 D screens are silver, so the Uptown needs a new screen. I would hope it would be curved. I don’t see 3 D but when I see 2 D at the Uptown, would like to have the curved screen.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on December 12, 2010 at 11:10 am

New (flat) screen? Oh oh. I just thought if they were to go digital, the image would be cropped at the sides given the current screen’s curvature. I’ll probably see Tron 3D in real IMAX at the Smithsonian and catch it here later just to see what they’ve done to the place.

Someone in the know should post something about this new system…Steve? Somebody?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 12, 2010 at 8:41 am

I saw yesterday “Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows” Uptown wasn’t using its curtain, but does some days. I wish they’d turn house lights down during the trailers. Surround sound in the balcony was excellent.

They are aiming to equip for 3 D for Tron 3 D, but not sure yet. It is a challenge to obtain huge new screen.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on December 9, 2010 at 2:10 am

I suppose we’ll just have to check this one out … :D I doubt AMC would close it now after investing money into this new projection system. Sell it? Maybe.

Giles
Giles on December 8, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I would assume since AMC has favoured Sony 4K I don’t think it’d be anything less… of course if AMC wasn’t wedded to Sony, the Christie and Barco (4K DLP) systems are more ideal for ultra large 75+feet screens (i.e, Seattle’s Cinerama with the first commercial installation of Christie’s Solaria 4K DLP projector) – even though AMC had initially planned to ETX the Uptown’s screen, which would have made the ticket price even higher, under that scenario they might have put BACK some of the speakers, (an extra subwoofer and two heights speakers behind the screen

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on December 8, 2010 at 10:16 am

Hmmm. IMAX or Uptown? IMAX supposedly has what..40,000..watts of power to their speakers? Is their DP system 4K? I haven’t enjoyed a really decent Uptown presentation in years. And remember from Steve Guttag’s post about AMC decontenting the theater by taking out speakers?

Giles
Giles on December 8, 2010 at 10:15 am

pessimistic aren’t we?

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on December 8, 2010 at 10:01 am

Another AMC theater that they will probibly close because it’s a single screen theater.

Giles
Giles on December 8, 2010 at 9:45 am

It’s official! Fandango has denoted that the Uptown will be presenting ‘Tron Legacy’ in REAL-D 3D – max ticket price of $14.75

Giles
Giles on November 12, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Warner’s is REALLY pushing the new Harry Potter film (Deathly Hollows) not only is there a 12:01 (Friday morning) screening, but there’s also a 3:30AM (!) screening too – I’d be very surprised to know who goes to THAT screening.

Giles
Giles on September 10, 2010 at 1:51 pm

the plus of having digital projection on such a big screen, would be that the image and specifically the light output and consistent color balance would be superior to the subpar mass produced 35mm prints the Uptown sometimes gets.

back to XTC, like XD there are more speakers used behind the screen to produce a fuller soundscape – similiar to what IMAX screens use. XTC and XD screens also can playback 7.1 sound – I’m not sure that is what the Uptown needs, since alot of the audiences – those sitting in the balcony wouldn’t be able to hear the side channels of sound

Giles
Giles on September 10, 2010 at 1:43 pm

XTC screen is AMC’s theatre version of Cinemark’s XD screen – it’s the IMAX alternative so they can playback any movie on the digital projection system. Because of the size of the Uptown’s screen it’d make sense to have a system that can playback 4K enchanced DLP – Barco, Christie and NEC projector’s can do this as well as Sony’s digital projection system.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 10, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I don’t see what’s so special about 2 k digital projection. What’s an XTC screen?

Giles
Giles on September 10, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I don’t know how many speakers are implemented on AMC’s XTC’s screens but hey why not go with the flow and have AMC convert the Uptown screen as such. I’d assume there are at least 6 speakers behind the screen already. I’d think that with Barco DP system able to display such a bright and colorful image on the Cinemark Egyptian screen there ’s no reason why the Uptown can’t have digital projection as well. Is the curved screen really that problamatic?, isn’t the screen comparable to the Arclight’s screen size and curvature?

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on September 9, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I guess the lobby work ad on 2001 was thrown in the trash.I wouldn’t card it a lobby card.Never seen a lobby card that big.Never noticed other theatres promoting 2001 in such a big way.Would have loved to had it.I do have the original one sheet from 1968.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on September 9, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Interior, also from Jack Coursey:

Lkoger
Lkoger on July 22, 2010 at 7:14 am

The revival of “Ben Hur” at the Uptown in ‘99 or '00 was 35mm. They held it for a week. Despite the fact that it wasn’t in 70mm, it was still a sight to behold on the Uptown’s massive Cinerama screen. And as a bonus, it was presented in it’s original “Roadshow” presentation – Overture, Intermission, Entr'Acte, and Exit music. Now that’s entertainment!

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on July 21, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I doubt it was 70mm. AFI had it in 70mm last year or fairly recently. I missed it. :P Or maybe it was 10 Commandments.

If they can do digital now on 60ft screens at the IMAX-lite and Cinemark XD venues, they should try retrofitting the Uptown for digital. With the curved screen, they may have to reduce it.

Giles
Giles on July 21, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I thought there waa revival showing of ‘Ben Hur’ in 1999 or 2000 – does anyone remember if it was 35mm or 70mm?