AMC Uptown 1

3426 Connecticut Avenue NW,
Washington, DC 20008

sguttag
sguttag on August 2, 2017 at 4:06 pm

The Uptown is not owned by AMC so they have no option of selling it. They can walk away when their lease is up (whenever that is).

While the UPTOWN sign is saved, they plan to remove the iconic neon tubes and replace with LED. To me, that isn’t good either and I think the community has a card to play here. AMC plans to add an AMC sign above the UPTOWN one. Fine, in order to do that you not only have to retain the neon of the original sign, the added AMC sign should be required to also be neon to match (it should look like it belongs).

And with that, get a stipulation that they are required to maintain the signs such that the letters cannot remain non-functional for any extended period of time. Say, 3-weeks or so after a portion has failed, they should be compelled to have it working again.

Myrna38717
Myrna38717 on August 2, 2017 at 3:41 pm

bigjoe59 — Yes. There are a couple of other second-run theaters, and the Air & Space Museum does do 1st run features on the Imax screen, but the Uptown is the only non-museum single screen 1st run movie theater in DC. I think.

Mikeoaklandpark & moviebuff82 — AMC doesn’t own the Uptown. They lease it from the Pedas family, which used to run it (along with many other DC movie houses) up till the 1980s. Not sure when the lease is up or how well AMC does with it. It’s a bit of a mystery. When I go, there’s usually a good-size crowd but sometimes it’s pretty empty, and it’s been years since I’ve seen it full.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 2, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Hello From NYC-

Is the Uptown the last single screen 1st run movie theater in D.C.? there’s only 1 left in Manhattan, the Paris.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 2, 2017 at 10:43 am

Smart move given that AMC is in a world of hurt right now…http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-amc-stock-20170801-story.html I’m surprised that this theater has survived so long.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on August 2, 2017 at 10:10 am

I am amazed that AMC has not sold or closed this theater since they hate operating single screen theaters. Point in case Lowes 72nd East in NYC

jeffpiatt
jeffpiatt on August 1, 2017 at 9:08 pm

it was part of the current CEO of AMC Entertainment plans to get every theater they run signed under one of 3 brands AMC, AMC Classic, and AMC Dine-in. Apparently no one thought to check if the community liked the old sign before requesting to replace it with the AMC logo text. looking at the size it might get rebranded to the Classic sub brand for smaller theaters in low traffic markets. they should have just stuck to replacing the street level signs.

Giles
Giles on July 31, 2017 at 1:36 pm

well those plans were quickly dismissed:

‘AMC Nixes Plan to Replace Iconic Uptown Theater Sign’

Giles
Giles on July 31, 2017 at 1:13 pm

One would think and hope this is the case but the public / neighborhood outcry has begun -the public meeting is scheduled for the latter end of September

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 31, 2017 at 1:00 pm

I thought the exterior was legally protected by the local historic commission so IF like here in Philly, permission would need to be asked to remove iconic Uptown letters.

Giles
Giles on July 31, 2017 at 12:52 pm

I recently went to see a 3D screening of ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ and it was by the most underwhelming presentation, visually. Even with the glasses slightly diminishing the colors and brightness I was rather surprised the dimensionality was retained. Outside of the drained colors, the image had this murky graininess hampering the image – if this were laser projection this wouldn’t be an issue. The very top of the image was ever so cropped but wasn’t too visually distracting. The 5.1 sound was great probably the best part of the experience, but this is one theater that AMC seriously needs to consider installing a Dolby Atmos sound system, why they are being so bullheaded over this is beyond me. Lastly speaking of AMC, they are in the process of removing the iconic vintage lighted ‘Uptown’ sign from off of the building – ?!? (why?) They way they have been treating this theater I’m surprised they want to install a tacky AMC on the front …. unreal.

JonT
JonT on September 18, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Made my last visit to the Uptown to see “Prometheus” and left before it was half-way through; couldn’t believe that this theater was showing a projected image that did not fit the screen, most distracting — unbelievable!

patryan6019
patryan6019 on September 3, 2016 at 1:16 am

Howard…No I am not a projectionist, AR would be 2.2 and at 2.76 the image on a screen with a height of 30 feet would need to be 7.5 feet wider on each side.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 2, 2016 at 3:30 am

As to Ben Hur, would it have projected 2.2 aspect ratio? Would’ve lost a bit of the 2.76 aspect at left and at right?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 2, 2016 at 3:12 am

Thank you, patryan. Were you are projectionist there?

patryan6019
patryan6019 on September 1, 2016 at 11:21 pm

Howard…Of those 6 films, only Fiddler and Ben-Hur were in 70mm, the latter using the 69 reissue that did not have the original extra wide image.

Coate
Coate on September 1, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Recently published: “Khartoum”: The Roadshow Engagements, which, of course, includes a mention of its run at the Uptown.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on September 1, 2016 at 5:21 am

Patryan, I had known re Fiddler on the Roof but neglected to mention it above. Are you saying that Amadeus, GWTW, and Lawrence of Arabia were all shown then in 35mm? And, that Dr Zhivago was shown 35mm? Was Fiddler on the Roof in 35mm? Was Ben Hur shown in 35mm or 70mm? I don’t think the ads or whatever were clear to me as to Ben Hur & Dr Zhivago format.

patryan6019
patryan6019 on August 31, 2016 at 11:56 pm

Fiddler played between DZ (not 70mm) and WSS. The others ran as you listed, but were also not in 70. Prior to Boys in 70 was 1st run Black Robe for 3 weeks.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 31, 2016 at 10:24 am

Ah, right, then For the Boys would’ve been the next release. Kwai was a faded print.

Coate
Coate on August 31, 2016 at 9:23 am

Thanks, Howard. Your comment suggests my notes are incomplete on the matter of the 70mm festival (and the 1990s-era Uptown bookings). Those details were jotted down many years ago while researching for evidence of a screening of a 70mm print of “The Bridge on the River Kwai.” I came across them while pulling some notes recently for another project and thought readers might find them of interest. Anyway, I doubt “For the Boys” was a part of the fest, since it was a new movie getting its initial release that November (unless there was a pre-release screening that concluded the fest).

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 29, 2016 at 2:42 pm

Hello-

to patryan6019 thanks for your take posted on Jan.14 about the souvenir program for “Krakatoa……”. it must have been odd for patrons to buy a program the first two pages of which describe the “new” Cinerama yet the film they’re about to watch isn’t “in Cinerama”.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 28, 2016 at 3:28 pm

Coate, the 1991 film festival didn’t conclude with Dr Zhivago. On Oct 12, I saw West Side Story in 70mm. My notes of films before West Side Story (and after Dr Zhivago) are Amadeus, GWTW, Lawrence of Arabia, and though my notes don’t indicate whether 70mm or not, probably. My notes after West Side Story are For the Boys, again my notes no indicate format.

Giles
Giles on May 29, 2016 at 8:35 am

thanks Coate posting the 1991 70mm fest – I remember seeing ‘Ben-Hur’ and ‘Alien’ – the latter in particular since my first time I saw the movie was on a small 13 inch TV (in no way to see or experience it) – the 70mm version was far and out the best way to see and hear it – the airduct scene I was digging my fingers into the arm rests.

Coate
Coate on May 28, 2016 at 9:53 pm

[off topic]

Paging patryan6019…. Did KHARTOUM play “in Cinerama” roadshow runs in Birmingham, Chattanooga and Providence? Answer here, or email me, please (michaelcoate[at]thedigitalbits[dot]com).

Giles
Giles on May 25, 2016 at 1:09 pm

^ sad

I think the theater you are thinking of JodarMovieFan is Portland’s Hollywood Theater