Gem Theatre

Kannapolis, NC 28081

Patsy
Patsy on April 29, 2005 at 4:17 pm

GREAT PHOTOS!

RobertR
RobertR on April 28, 2005 at 5:18 pm

Here are some pictures of the Gem, this is such a great survivor of by-gone neighborhood house days.

Patsy
Patsy on March 3, 2005 at 1:49 am

After walking inside and looking at the molding along the ceiling, the marquee, etc. I can report back here that the theatre is art deco. And the special part is that it’s all original since the 40’s. The ticket kios is still there, but not being used anymore.

Patsy
Patsy on March 3, 2005 at 1:46 am

Well, today was the day! I found the Gem and had a nice chat with the owner. At the time a group of elementary children were seeing the movie entitled Because of Winn Dixie. We were able to walk inside the darkened auditorium and make out the 2 illuminated phoenix birds in the deco sections near the stage/screen. This theatre along with about 3 others in the town were all built by the Cannon family. One of the theatres was for the black population and is now a funeral home, but wasn’t able to find it so will try again in the near future. Another theatre is now a grocery store, but spoke to an older lady who is the cashier and she recalled going to see movies at that location for 12 cents! The Gem is truly a gem and we plan to go see a movie some evening in Kannapolis!

Patsy
Patsy on December 23, 2004 at 3:33 am

Now that I’ve found this ‘gem’ I plan to pay it a visit in the near future!

decepter28027
decepter28027 on July 9, 2004 at 9:40 pm

on july 5th i went o the gem theatre with my 2 children and my wife and for about 20 dollars we watched spiderman 2 and had popcorn sodas and candy for all it was a great deal i go there very often couple weeks ago i went and watched the day after tomorrow by myself and had popcorn and large soda for under 5 dollars total..The Gem is the best deal going!!!!!!!!!!

Tammy
Tammy on March 11, 2004 at 1:12 pm

I have lived in kannapolis for many years and my family enjoys the Gem theatre very much. I have family in Monroe area and they will drive up here (40 minutes) to attend a movie here since you only have to pay $4 for adults and $2 for children and watch a 1st run movie. The candy, drinks and popcorn prices are cheap too. I have a middle school child and the middle and high school kids love it too. They get to go to the movies more often at these prices rather than spending $20.00 for 1 movie with popcorn & drink. It’s a great place for a family to have a evening out with out breaking the budget. tnt

mickmc
mickmc on January 16, 2004 at 5:30 pm

the gem does show 1st run movies and my 11 yr old and i attend this wonderful theatre most fridays.with a price of $4 per 1st run this theatre has my vote every time.my daughter thinks that it is the greatest place and food and drink prices are exceptional.highly recommend this “GEM” to all.

UAGirl
UAGirl on January 19, 2002 at 1:07 am

The Gem has now stopped playing first run films. Management lost too much money having long contract times with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

BigD
BigD on January 7, 2002 at 6:25 pm

You can go to this link and see a picture of the theater.

UAGirl
UAGirl on December 14, 2001 at 9:47 pm

The Gem theatre is quite possibly the crown jewel of the city of Kannapolis, NC. She is located in Cannon Village across from Cannon Mills plant #4.The Gem Theater was built in 1938. She was burned down in 1942 and was rebuilt in 1948.

The auditorium has a seat count of 960. The auditorium itself has beautiful dark draperies flowing down the main wall. The deco sections nearest to the screen/stage are covered in these two brilliantly illuminated phoenix birds. She ceiling is a grand domed top with very simplistic yet decorative stucco designs. Inside concession area and box office are in a stream line styling with beautiful silver highlights. The upstairs balcony lobby is surrounded with mirrors on all of the walls.The carpet is a lovely burgundy/purple hue. All original signs and lights remain. Her booth contains a Cristie projector and platter system. The sound is standard Dolby surround

Function wise she plays second films 60% of the time and first runs 40% of the time. I believe that on Sundays though a local church has service in the theatre.

I will provide the site with more photos as I get my film developed.

Hope this helps, UAGirl *the other theatre manager down the street in Concord,NC :)

davidearl
davidearl on November 24, 2001 at 3:00 pm

very historic theatre now used for discount 2nd run movies i believe. i have not been in but have drove by a few times. i plan to visit it soon. amazed no officials of the city or theatre have contacted this site with pictures or more info. this theatre appears to be a real gem!