Loew's 46th Street Theatre

4515 New Utrecht Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11219

fifty
fifty on September 29, 2008 at 3:18 pm

Great Photo!!! Does anyone have a photo of Loew’s Boro Park.

ERD
ERD on September 3, 2008 at 8:05 am

Thanks for letting us see the photo, RobertR. It brings back lots of memories.

Bway
Bway on September 3, 2008 at 6:01 am

The 46th St had a really nice marquee.

RobertR
RobertR on September 2, 2008 at 4:19 pm

A great shot when Jerry Lewis made an appearance.

Elena1
Elena1 on August 19, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Big stain on the screen of the beverly for YEARS everyone in the neighborhood knew it and still remember it 35 years later looked like someone threw an egg at it. it dripped down and no one ever cleaned it and depending on the scene you’d see the stain on someones face or whatever was going on in the movie at the time hilarious.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on August 19, 2008 at 11:28 am

Thanks, Staten Island Ellie ! Please tell us about the big stain on the screen !

Elena1
Elena1 on August 19, 2008 at 11:14 am

I kid you not I saw him on the stairs and this is like 30 years ago and he had his hand on the gun in his right pants pocket. i wouldnt know if it was real or not but what he was doing on stairs in the middle of the crowd is beyond me and again thats the only memory i have of the entire concert. i guess it really stuck in my mind. and he was the only one id recognize in the band. luckily there was no problems. i cant even remember who i went with. but i think thats the only event i attended at the 46th street because they had concerts. as for movies i lived closer to the beverly. another story-the big stain on the screen hahahahaha but walking distance and movies for $1 and the planet of the apes marathon all 5 in one day amazing.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on August 18, 2008 at 1:39 pm

A gun half-in, half-out, of the performer’s pocket ! Sort of an Altamont-in-reverse, Staten Island Ellie !

Elena1
Elena1 on August 18, 2008 at 1:31 pm

I saw Jay and the Americans there I think in the 70’s. I remember the crowd was unruly. I think we weren’t use to having concerts in the neighborhood. Anyhow I recall seeing Jay walking up the steps with holding a gun half in and half out of his pants pocket. Scary. Thats the thing that stands out in my memory about the concert.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on August 7, 2008 at 11:18 am

Good for you, SheepsheadTony. Rock on !

Anttheknee
Anttheknee on August 6, 2008 at 2:29 pm

As I said, I can’t recall. Everything is kind of a blur. I just remember having a good time.

PeterKoch
PeterKoch on August 6, 2008 at 2:24 pm

Good for you, Sheepshead Tony ! Welcome to CT !

Whom did you see at the taping of Don Kirschner’s Rock Concert ?

Anttheknee
Anttheknee on August 6, 2008 at 1:38 pm

I saw a few concerts at the 46th St. Rock Palace back in the 70’s. For some reason, I can’t remember too much about them, it might have something to do with alcohol and illegal substances. Inexplicably, I do remember J.F. Murphy and Salt playing there. And I do remember being at a taping of Don Kirschner’s Rock Concert.

boroparkjon
boroparkjon on April 9, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Thanks for the info, Warren.

boroparkjon
boroparkjon on April 7, 2008 at 8:05 pm

Much thanks for the photos, Warren. Would you know what years those photos were taken, and when the marguee shown was changed to the one that is still partly in place today? Also, could you tell us the source of those photos? Is it a book that’s available on the market?
Thanks again.
BKJ

ERD
ERD on February 23, 2008 at 9:12 am

Nicely expressed, bkj.

PKoch
PKoch on December 28, 2007 at 11:18 am

I know what you mean, bkj.

boroparkjon
boroparkjon on December 28, 2007 at 9:37 am

Thanks for the link, 55tbird. A nice christmas present. Seeing that photo is sort of like suddenly remembering a dream long forgotten, or seeing a ghost.

PKoch
PKoch on December 26, 2007 at 7:15 am

Yes, 55 TBird, many thanks for posting your photo. From your photo’s balcony viewpoint, it looks like it’s still a theater, with a play taking place on the larger-than-usual stage, a play that makes use of lots of furniture, maybe a play that takes place in the furniture dept. of a large department store.

It looks as much like it’s still a theater as does the RKO Keith’s Richmond Hill, much more so than the former RKO Madison, in which the most prominent former theater feature still visible, is the curve of the front of the balcony, as a change in elevation of the drop ceiling.

ERD
ERD on December 26, 2007 at 6:51 am

I noticed the statues and many of the orniments(Vases, etc.) on the side were gone. The auditorium’s condition looks very sad. As I mentioned in earlier posts,the religous sector who control the neighborhood will never allow this theatre to be restored. Property is very expensive in this area, and I believe they will eventually rip down this building and put something up that will make a profit.
I thank 55 TBird for letting us see this picture.

Five5TBird
Five5TBird on December 25, 2007 at 11:40 pm

Here is a wonderful recent photo of auditorium used as a furniture storeroom. It looks relatively intact, minus lower lever seats, definitely looks like it could be restored. The photo is not dated, and doesn’t give a date, hope it will remain on the site a while, after reading the postings about it, I was consumed with curiosity about what it looked like now. Hope you enjoy!

PKoch
PKoch on August 20, 2007 at 11:59 am

Thanks, Warren. Interesting that it’s 10 to 7 blocks uptown of Claremont Avenue on Broadway, adjacent to CCNY, rather than Columbia.

PKoch
PKoch on August 20, 2007 at 11:40 am

Thanks, Warren. Would that have been on or near Claremont Avenue, north of 116th Street, between Bway and Riverside Drive, near Columbia University ? Do you recall when the change occurred ? Does the Claremont have its own page on Cinema Treasures ?

PKoch
PKoch on August 20, 2007 at 10:59 am

Thanks, Warren and ERD. The Bushwick section of Brooklyn most certainly had its share of auto dealerships. I think the one at Bushwick Avenue and Decatur Street had a signboard outside displaying info from World Series baseball games.

I’m not sure about the relationship between car dealerships and theatres, however : if one was ever used as the other.