Loew's 46th Street Theatre
4515 New Utrecht Avenue,
15 people favorited this theater
Built for the Universal Pictures chain, the Universal Theatre opened October 9, 1927 with the movie “Alias the Deacon” staring Jean Hersholt, and a stage show “Giggles of 1927” staring Eva Puck and Sam White. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer theatre organ. Designed by architect John Eberson in an Atmospheric/Italian Renaissance style, one side wall of the auditorium had the façade of an Italian garden, while the other side wall had a balustrade, fountain and wall gates. The ceiling replicated a moonlit sky, with twinkling stars and clouds rolling by. Within a year of opening, in September 1928 it was taken over by Loew’s Inc. and was renamed Loew’s 46th Street Theatre. Loew’s closed the theatre showing movies in 1970. It re-opened as the 46th Street Rock Palace, presenting concerts. That closed in 1973.
It was converted into retail space as a furniture store. To enable this, a wall was added just below the balcony. Everything between the wall and the original entrance became a retail space. Everything beyond the wall, towards the original screen, has remained relatively intact and is used for storage.
The balcony seats are still in place. The auditorium has survived with little damage. Stage and dressing rooms are also intact.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater