Showing 76 - 100 of 119 comments
The Santa Rosa opened on December 20, 1946. The premier feature was “Canyon Passage” with Dana Andrews and Brian Donlevy.
The Garden Oaks opened on July 10, 1947. The premier feature was “The Sea of Grass” with Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn.
The Almeda opened on August 9, 1940. The premier feature was “Road to Singapore” with Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Dorothy Lamour. The Cliff Drescher Cowboy Band was slated to play in front of the theater. The Almeda’s first manager was Tom A. Howell.
The Heights opened on May 14, 1929. The premier feature was “Sunset Pass” with Jack Holt and Nora Lane.
November 28, 1939 was opening day for the River Oaks. Hugh Potter, mentioned above, was the master of ceremonies for the grand opening. The River Oaksâ€™ color scheme was maroon and cream, according to that day’s news reports.
The OST opened on February 15, 1947. The premier feature was â€œRendezvous with Annieâ€ with Eddie Albert and Faye Marlowe. The OST’s general contractor was Paul Marxten and the structural engineer was Francis J. Niven.
The Loewâ€™s Sharpstown opened on February 26, 1958. The opening night double feature was Jerry Lewisâ€™ â€œThe Sad Sackâ€, plus George Montgomery’s â€œPawnee.â€ Movie stars Chill Wills and Barbara Lang were slated to participate in the grand opening ceremonies.
This multiplex was originally named the Greenway 3 Theatres, so two screens were added later. It opened at noon on February 1, 1974. The premier features were Goldie Hawnâ€™s â€œButterflies Are Freeâ€ (screen 1), Ernest Borgnineâ€™s â€œThe Neptune Factorâ€ (screen 2), and Woody Allenâ€™s â€œPlay It Again, Samâ€ (screen 3). The correct zip for this address is 77046.
The Broadway opened on May 23, 1947. The premier feature was Walt Disneyâ€™s â€œSong of the South.â€ The Broadwayâ€™s original ad described it as â€œmodern, beautiful, the finest equipment, a perfect showplace dedicated to community service and entertainment.â€ During the opening weekend, organist Norma Ballard was featured on a Hammond organ in the Broadwayâ€™s lobby.
The Fulton opened on September 26, 1947. The premier feature was â€œFun on a Weekendâ€ with Eddie Bracken and Priscilla Lane.
I found the original ad for the Spectrum Cinema. It opened on June 24, 1988. The Spectrum was billed as â€œthe return of the elegant theater.â€ According to the ad, the Spectrumâ€™s popcorn was served with real butter. Each cinema featured Dolby Surround Sound, with Lucasfilm THX sound in three of them. The Spectrum had marble floors and artwork by John Noestheden, and it was originally a Cineplex Odeon Theater.
The Gables Augusta Apartments now stand on the Spectrum’s site.
The correct zip for 12920 Northwest Freeway is 77040.
The correct address is 7703 W. Bellfort Street, Houston, TX 77071.
The correct zip for 13155 Westheimer Road is 77077.
The Tower opened at 7:30 p.m. on February 14, 1936. The premier feature was â€œBarbary Coastâ€ with Miriam Hopkins, Edward G. Robinson, and Joel McCrea. Opening night festivities included a 30-piece symphony orchestra and Blackstone the Magician. The correct zip code for this theater is 77006.
The Eastwood opened at 7:30 p.m. on March 6, 1936. The premier feature was â€œBarbary Coastâ€ with Miriam Hopkins, Edward G. Robinson, and Joel McCrea.
The Metropolitan’s premier feature was â€œStranded in Parisâ€ with Bebe Daniels and James Hall.
The premier feature for this State Theater was â€œStrawberry Blondeâ€ with James Cagney and Rita Hayworth. The State was advertised as â€œHouston Owned – Houston Operatedâ€.
The August 15, 1941 opening date is correct. The premier feature at the Village was â€œRoad to Zanzibarâ€ with Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Dorothy Lamour.
The McLendon Triple’s grand opening was at 8:00 p.m. on May 7, 1971. George Peppard participated in the grand opening ceremonies. The Drive-in was slated to be named the McLendon Astro, but the Houston Sports Association filed an injunction citing trademark infringement. The premier features were â€œBig Doll Houseâ€ (Screen 1), â€œHorror Houseâ€ (Screen 2), and George Peppardâ€™s film â€œOne More Train to Robâ€ (Screen 3).
The Alabama Theatre’s grand opening was at 7:15 p.m. on November 2, 1939. The premier feature was â€œMan About Townâ€ with Jack Benny and Dorothy Lamour. The building contractor was George P. Oâ€™Rourke Construction Co.
The Navaway Theatre’s premier feature was â€œMan of Conquestâ€ with Richard Dix and Joan Fontaine.
The Yale Theater’s grand opening was at 7:30 p.m. on May 20, 1938. The Yale was originally managed by John Arnold. The premier feature was â€œNavy Blue and Goldâ€ with Robert Young and James Stewart. The Yaleâ€™s sound system was Western Electric wide range sound.
The Delman Theater’s grand opening was at 6:15 p.m. on November 28, 1934. According to the Houston Post for that day and the next, the Delman was built by I.B. Adelman, owner/operator, and managed by L.O. Daniel, Jr. W. Scott Dunne was the architect. The premier feature was â€œBaby, Take a Bowâ€ with Shirley Temple and Jimmy Dunn. The Delman was Houstonâ€™s first theater to be built especially for sound pictures. The projection and sound equipment was “the newest and most expensive type, an exact duplicate of that of Radio City Music Hall”. The auditorium was finished with acoustical plaster to absorb echoes and permit best sound presentation. The Delman was heated and air-conditioned.