AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 1,101 - 1,125 of 1,509 comments

moviebuff82 on June 3, 2009 at 11:34 am

I mean nearly next month, since “Ice Age 3” opens. In the meantime, I’m going to ask my dad to drive over to Mansfield to see Up in 3-D since that’s the only stadium seating theater showing it in 3-D.

moviebuff82 on May 31, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Went to a 3:35 showing of “Angels and Demons”, and it was worth enjoying. Nearly full house, movie was shown with a few splices but not as blurry projection and a decent pre-show. Hopefully Rockaway gets 3-D for next weekend when “Ice Age 3” plays.

moviebuff82 on May 31, 2009 at 10:59 am

The first two Toy Story movies played at the old AMC in Rockaway, and hopefully the third one will be shown in 3D next year. That’s when 3D movies will be the de facto standard for mainstream audiences, as more theaters will add digital projection that can show stereoscopic imagery. This past weekend, Up became the highest grossing debut for a 3D movie, beating out Monsters vs Aliens, and got the best reviews since “Star Trek”. 3D or not, this movie will still play for a long time and fare better than the kiddie sequels.

moviebuff82 on May 29, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Here’s a link to the theaters near the AMC in Rockaway…
Out of 10 theaters, 4 are digital and 6 don’t. I’m planning on seeing Angels and Demons on Sunday at the theater. Hopefully they won’t ring any fire alarms, splice any reels, or blur the projection!!!!

moviebuff82 on May 28, 2009 at 11:54 am

According to what I read on Google movies, Up 3D is playing not only in many of the digital Clearviews, but also at the Hawthorne theater and at select AMCs. Hopefully by the time Ice Age 3-D comes out, then I’ll see it in 3D. Also is the IMAX system on track to debut at this theater when TF2 comes out? Pretty soon AMC will need to raise some cash in order to stay alive.

moviebuff82 on May 26, 2009 at 2:59 pm

CHecking advance tickets, no 3-D showtimes for Up. Oh, well….

moviebuff82 on May 24, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Most recently, AMC restated its earnings, with three previous quarters of losing money. Hopefully when the economy improves, AMC will make money and not waste it on mini-IMAX theaters.

moviebuff82 on May 24, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Once the economy improves, then it will happen. In the meantime, I’ll be probably sitting all the way back to the wall and see the movie as sharply as possible.

JJD
JJD on May 24, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I was at the theater today and asked two employees if UP will be shown in 3D and both said no. Both said digital is coming and it’s in the budget along with other things. So, once again, we’re getting conflicting information coming out of this theatre. I will believe NOTHING until I see it with my own two eyes (and hopefully will be wearing 3D glasses at the time).

moviebuff82 on May 22, 2009 at 12:38 pm

But according to an email I got from AMC as part of being a Moviewatcher, it will be in 3D on one screen and 2D on another. Maybe they’ll install it in house 8 just in time for that movie next week, and keep it playing for a few weeks until Ice Age 3 comes out. If it does well, then the next major 3D movie this summer, Final Destination 3D, will have to play in a 2D version.

moviebuff82 on May 19, 2009 at 3:33 pm

So far, Up won’t be in 3D next weekend…

moviebuff82 on May 18, 2009 at 11:43 am

According to what I read online…
the installation of the digital projection will begin at the end of this summer, just in time for the upcoming Avatar movie, and will slowly affect all theaters by 2012 or later.

moviebuff82 on May 17, 2009 at 6:17 am

Hey Jezebel, how’s work going on the digital projection? I hope it’s installed for the upcoming Up movie in 3-D, although advance tickets say it’s not in 3d. If that’s true, then I’ll wait until Ice Age 3-D comes out.

moviebuff82 on May 16, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Just came from from a 3:45 showing of Star Trek, and while I enjoyed the movie (a big improvement from other Trek movies and sci-fi prequels), there were a few issues before and during the movie. During the last few minutes of the pre-show, the sprint commercial that warns moviegoers to turn off their cell phones was interrupted near the end of the movie and was replaced by a blank screen while the same commercial aired, followed by the AMC Emergency Exit trailer and then an ad for Glenn Beck Live. Then music started playing (Movietunes) and the film started to begin. During the movie, the first 20 minutes of it, late into it, a fire alarm blared. At first I thought it was one of those new sound effects done by Ben Burtt for the new movie, but it turned out to be a siren. THankfully someone noticed it and walked to the manager’s office to turn it off, which thankfully was over as the movie got into gear. The projection was a bit blurry, especially during close-ups of the crew and when the movie was in motion. The surround sound was top-notch, and the crowd behaved well and enjoyed the movie. Nearly packed house, I say. This movie will live long and prosper in this house!!!

moviebuff82 on May 16, 2009 at 7:17 am

Seat count should be 3300.

moviebuff82 on May 14, 2009 at 11:51 am

I’m planning on going to see Angels and Demons this coming Saturday…hopefully it will be better than that DaVinci Code flick!!!

moviebuff82 on May 12, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Here’s an interesting article by a celebrity who shelled out $5 to see Star Trek in IMAX and was dissapointed with the small IMAX screen…

moviebuff82 on May 11, 2009 at 4:06 pm

The lfexaminer website still lists AMC as getting an IMAX more than a month from now in the Rockaway theater. How is progress going on that? I can’t wait to see Transformers 2 and Harry Potter 6 in IMAX!!! Too bad Star Trek and Night at the Museum won’t be playing in that format!!!

moviebuff82 on May 11, 2009 at 3:52 pm

New pricing has been added to the AMC Rockaway webpage at AMC’s website, this only includes the Summer MovieCamp tickets which cost $1.

moviebuff82 on May 11, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Will digital 4k be installed for this weekend? Angels and Demons is one of the first major summer releases that was shot in 4k.

moviebuff82 on May 7, 2009 at 3:39 pm

FYI, Next Day Air won’t be playing at this theater tomorrow. The closest AMC theaters that I know that will play this piece of junk will be the Garden State 16 and the Clifton Commons theater. I predict a fast death for that movie as it will get phased out by Star Trek, which opens tonight. Tickets are still available for all shows; I think the IMAX is selling more than the 35mm and DLP versions…this is what Rockaway might need later this year if it needs to be profitable.

moviebuff82 on May 6, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Have the fire alarms at the theater been fixed so that they work properly? I read some complaints online on other forums that during showings of a movie that the screen would go black and a loud siren blares, forcing moviegoers to evacuate for around 20 minutes while local fire and police cars come to the scene. This happened once in February; any other instances recently in which the theater had issues? So far during my moviegoing experience at the theater there have been no problems regarding alarms.

moviebuff82 on May 5, 2009 at 3:45 pm

For the third consecutive year, AMC will have its Summer Movie Camp program starting in June. I’m sure that most of the kids have seen these movies on blu-ray and dvd rather than on the big blurry screen and the loud bassy surround sound!!!

moviebuff82 on May 4, 2009 at 12:07 pm

One complaint I had during the wolverine screening was during quieter parts of the movie and a baby was coughing and said she had an accident, and some moviegoers told her to be quiet. Very helpful of the moviegoers to do that, since at the AMC, “Silence is Golden”. I sat a row up the row where there is a guardrail near the front seats, which I rarely sit because the screens is too big and blurry.

moviebuff82 on May 2, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Speaking of 3D movies, Rockaway won’t be showing Up in 3D according to what I checked out on the listings. That might change in a few weeks as AMC is slowly progressing with the digital changeover at its theaters, which will take three years or more depending on the economics of the theater industry and the box office.