AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 1,101 - 1,125 of 1,497 comments

moviebuff82 on May 17, 2009 at 6:17 am

Hey Jezebel, how’s work going on the digital projection? I hope it’s installed for the upcoming Up movie in 3-D, although advance tickets say it’s not in 3d. If that’s true, then I’ll wait until Ice Age 3-D comes out.

moviebuff82 on May 16, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Just came from from a 3:45 showing of Star Trek, and while I enjoyed the movie (a big improvement from other Trek movies and sci-fi prequels), there were a few issues before and during the movie. During the last few minutes of the pre-show, the sprint commercial that warns moviegoers to turn off their cell phones was interrupted near the end of the movie and was replaced by a blank screen while the same commercial aired, followed by the AMC Emergency Exit trailer and then an ad for Glenn Beck Live. Then music started playing (Movietunes) and the film started to begin. During the movie, the first 20 minutes of it, late into it, a fire alarm blared. At first I thought it was one of those new sound effects done by Ben Burtt for the new movie, but it turned out to be a siren. THankfully someone noticed it and walked to the manager’s office to turn it off, which thankfully was over as the movie got into gear. The projection was a bit blurry, especially during close-ups of the crew and when the movie was in motion. The surround sound was top-notch, and the crowd behaved well and enjoyed the movie. Nearly packed house, I say. This movie will live long and prosper in this house!!!

moviebuff82 on May 16, 2009 at 7:17 am

Seat count should be 3300.

moviebuff82 on May 14, 2009 at 11:51 am

I’m planning on going to see Angels and Demons this coming Saturday…hopefully it will be better than that DaVinci Code flick!!!

moviebuff82 on May 12, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Here’s an interesting article by a celebrity who shelled out $5 to see Star Trek in IMAX and was dissapointed with the small IMAX screen…

moviebuff82 on May 11, 2009 at 4:06 pm

The lfexaminer website still lists AMC as getting an IMAX more than a month from now in the Rockaway theater. How is progress going on that? I can’t wait to see Transformers 2 and Harry Potter 6 in IMAX!!! Too bad Star Trek and Night at the Museum won’t be playing in that format!!!

moviebuff82 on May 11, 2009 at 3:52 pm

New pricing has been added to the AMC Rockaway webpage at AMC’s website, this only includes the Summer MovieCamp tickets which cost $1.

moviebuff82 on May 11, 2009 at 1:37 pm

Will digital 4k be installed for this weekend? Angels and Demons is one of the first major summer releases that was shot in 4k.

moviebuff82 on May 7, 2009 at 3:39 pm

FYI, Next Day Air won’t be playing at this theater tomorrow. The closest AMC theaters that I know that will play this piece of junk will be the Garden State 16 and the Clifton Commons theater. I predict a fast death for that movie as it will get phased out by Star Trek, which opens tonight. Tickets are still available for all shows; I think the IMAX is selling more than the 35mm and DLP versions…this is what Rockaway might need later this year if it needs to be profitable.

moviebuff82 on May 6, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Have the fire alarms at the theater been fixed so that they work properly? I read some complaints online on other forums that during showings of a movie that the screen would go black and a loud siren blares, forcing moviegoers to evacuate for around 20 minutes while local fire and police cars come to the scene. This happened once in February; any other instances recently in which the theater had issues? So far during my moviegoing experience at the theater there have been no problems regarding alarms.

moviebuff82 on May 5, 2009 at 3:45 pm

For the third consecutive year, AMC will have its Summer Movie Camp program starting in June. I’m sure that most of the kids have seen these movies on blu-ray and dvd rather than on the big blurry screen and the loud bassy surround sound!!!

moviebuff82 on May 4, 2009 at 12:07 pm

One complaint I had during the wolverine screening was during quieter parts of the movie and a baby was coughing and said she had an accident, and some moviegoers told her to be quiet. Very helpful of the moviegoers to do that, since at the AMC, “Silence is Golden”. I sat a row up the row where there is a guardrail near the front seats, which I rarely sit because the screens is too big and blurry.

moviebuff82 on May 2, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Speaking of 3D movies, Rockaway won’t be showing Up in 3D according to what I checked out on the listings. That might change in a few weeks as AMC is slowly progressing with the digital changeover at its theaters, which will take three years or more depending on the economics of the theater industry and the box office.

moviebuff82 on May 1, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Just came back froma 4:15 showing of X-Men: Wolverine, and it was better than I expected. Presentation was good, with a minor splice during the middle of the movie and some discolored frames and minor scratches during the print. For the film’s release, there are two secret endings after the movie’s over. I saw the one in which Wolverine sips some saki at a Japanese restaurant; I won’t spoil it for everyone on CT. The sound mixing was good, not as crowded as I expected to be, since all the showtimes are not selling out like fast. Near the front desk and the ATM machines there are signs saying Monsters vs Aliens is playing only in 2D and that moviegoers can ask the manager or a theater employee for more info. BTW, how is work going with the digital installation? I don’t mind seeing a movie if it’s in 3D or not, just that the tickets will be more expensive.

moviebuff82 on April 29, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I agree with ur comment, CinemarkFan. Lens flares are awesome. It will make Star Trek more stylistic and appeal to those who are not Trekkies. Same thing with the new X-Men movie for those who don’t know who wolverine is.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on April 29, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Why the fudge would anyone complain about lens flares? That is one of the most attractive things about anamorphic cinematography.

I’m thinking of making a t-shirt with the words, “I heart lens flares”.

moviebuff82 on April 29, 2009 at 2:59 pm

There’s an article online that says that if you go see Star Trek next week, some people have complained of lens flares shots in the movie.

moviebuff82 on April 29, 2009 at 11:26 am

I agree. Slumdog millionaire lasted longer at the AMC in East Hanover and other indie venues rather than the AMC in Rockaway. Rockaway should show more indie and foreign products like the imaginasian in NYC, which caters to Asian films. THey should also show older older movies like what the AMC in Essex Green did many years ago.

JJD
JJD on April 29, 2009 at 7:38 am

Where are you seeing “Battle for Terra” on anybody’s list for this weekend? According to Movietickets, everybody in this area is holding over “Monsters vs. Aliens” and other digital screens are showing other movies. Even Parsippany and Succasunna don’t list it. Also, it would be nice if Rockaway occasionally showed some of the foreign films that are being released and reviewed on Rotten Tomatoes or mentioned at awards shows but never seen around here. They tend to focus more on story and character than on whizbang effects. Instead we keep seeing films that continually cater to the lowest common denominator (recycled dumb comedies and films that rely on computer-generated effects, violence, explosions, car-crashes, or comic book characters.) And it gets worse during the Summer. I know it’s all about what sells but, with 16 screens, it would be nice to slip something intelligent in once in a while.

moviebuff82 on April 28, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Sorry for the misspelling. It was received. X-Men Origins will be on four screens, Obsessed (last weekend’s no. 1 movie) is on two screens, tied with Ghosts of Girlfriend’s Past, and eight other movies are on eight screens, including Battle for Terra, which won’t be in 3D. I hope I see the new Pixar movie Up later next month in digital 3D, or else Rockaway gets digital 3D by the time Ice Age 3 comes out or better yet, this Xmas' Avatar might convice the theater to adapt to the technology once the economy improves for the cinema chains and the studios.

moviebuff82 on April 27, 2009 at 3:41 pm

I’m planning on seeing the new X-Men movie this coming Friday. I’ll post a review of how well the film was recieved at this theater.

moviebuff82 on April 24, 2009 at 11:54 am

I checked again and showtimes are available for purchase online again for all movies for today.

moviebuff82 on April 23, 2009 at 5:25 pm

One or two of these movies can also be played on two screens.

JJD
JJD on April 23, 2009 at 5:19 pm

I never used online ticketing but I always thought that if a particular time was grayed out it just meant online ticketing was not available for that showing, but the movie would still play at that time. As far as closing some screens, wouldn’t the list of movies be much shorter? I still count 15 movies playing, some of them with totally grayed out showtimes.

moviebuff82 on April 23, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Probably some of the screens showing the movies are closed for installation of the projectors on each screen. Wayne has showtimes that are available and so is Meadow Six and Ridgefield Park. How about the Paramus theater, which has only two screens with Digital projection (2k)?