AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 1,126 - 1,150 of 1,500 comments

moviebuff82 on April 24, 2009 at 1:25 am

One or two of these movies can also be played on two screens.

JJD
JJD on April 24, 2009 at 1:19 am

I never used online ticketing but I always thought that if a particular time was grayed out it just meant online ticketing was not available for that showing, but the movie would still play at that time. As far as closing some screens, wouldn’t the list of movies be much shorter? I still count 15 movies playing, some of them with totally grayed out showtimes.

moviebuff82 on April 24, 2009 at 12:51 am

Probably some of the screens showing the movies are closed for installation of the projectors on each screen. Wayne has showtimes that are available and so is Meadow Six and Ridgefield Park. How about the Paramus theater, which has only two screens with Digital projection (2k)?

JJD
JJD on April 24, 2009 at 12:43 am

What is going on with these grayed out showtimes? I can’t make any sense out of the pattern. Some screens have EVERY show grayed out, some have EVERY OTHER show grayed out, and some don’t have any grayed out. East Hanover has everything grayed out. Clifton Commons just about the opposite. What exactly affects online ticket availability and why this crazy pattern? I’m not so sure I would make the leap and say it has something to do with installing digital. If so, how?

moviebuff82 on April 22, 2009 at 7:32 pm

I got an email from AMC that’s a printable coupon; $3 off a large popcorn when I pay to see “The Soloist”, the first movie from Robert Downey Jr. since Tropic Thunder that also stars Samuel L. Jackson. They had the huge poster outside for some time now, as the movie was supposed to come out last winter but was delayed.

moviebuff82 on April 21, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Just in time for Earth Day, the feature film adaptation of “Planet Earth” arrives at this theater tomorrow, although the movie came out elsewhere around the world two years ago. I noticed on the AMC website that some of the showtimes for tomorrow’s movies are grayed out; I wonder if that has to do with the digital projection installation that I hope will happen once I see the new “X-Men” movie.

moviebuff82 on April 20, 2009 at 7:21 pm

that’s nice to hear, although it’s not heavily advertised on tv as much as Wolverine or Star Trek.

Giles
Giles on April 20, 2009 at 4:42 pm

not to digress regarding the Rockaway, but I believe all the pre-release festival showing of ‘Battle for Terra’ (originally just ‘Terra’) were not 3D, I saw this at last Fall’s Virginia Film Festival, and enjoyed it.

moviebuff82 on April 20, 2009 at 1:28 am

I agree with you. Variety is like the Fox News of entertainment news. I usually check out indie sites like Film Tech and Cinematour to scout industry news. BTW, I hope digital projection gets installed just in time for the new X-Men movie and the first 3-D movie of the summer, Battle for Terra, which looks interesting.

tcjarvik
tcjarvik on April 20, 2009 at 1:23 am

Variety is not a reliable source of information. Look at their other articles. It is just baseless rumors and amateur opinions. Look at the article on Obama’s favorite TV shows. Companies routinely shuffle people into different job positions within their companies.

AMC would lose money from a merger with Cinemark. Cinemark has hundreds of theaters that are old, outdated, and without digital sound or stadium seating. These have done so poorly that they have converted them to dollar cinemas. That is a death sentence for most theaters. It is a last ditch effort to survive.

moviebuff82 on April 18, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Check this article out…
The closest Cinemark theater, and the only one in NJ that will be affected by the merger, is in Somersdale, NJ and like Rockaway, is a 16 plex.

moviebuff82 on April 17, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Unlike 35mm, computers will have bugs. Imagine what would happen if an error screen popped up during a 4k screening of “Star Trek” or if there are pixelation issues or sound sync issues with the showing. That’s the downside of digital projection vs 35mm. Another issue could be a massive computer worm like the Conficker virus that would infect the 4k systems and the theater would be closed for a computer checkup during the off hours. Recently AMC’s profit was down as audiences went to cheaper theaters.

markp
markp on April 17, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Hey Justin, FYI, I run digital where I work, along with 35MM. There is NO art to running digital. Its a computer and all you do is push a button. Any idiot can do that. I want to see someone make reel-toreel changeovers like I use to. THAT"S an art.

moviebuff82 on April 17, 2009 at 11:56 am

Advance tickets are now available for the new “X-Men” movie as well as “Star Trek”.

moviebuff82 on April 14, 2009 at 1:50 am

any word on when the new sony 4k projectors get installed? If it happens, then the projectionists who run the 35mm projectors will lose their jobs and be replaced by technicians who will master the art of showing digital movies.

moviebuff82 on April 4, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Check this link out…
Out of all these theaters, Rockaway is not listed. Also, starting this weekend, $25 “Star Trek” gift cards are on sale featuring characters from the upcoming “Star Trek” movie, which I’ll definitely see on the big screen at this theater, as well as the new “X-Men” movie instead of watching it on a tiny computer screen!

moviebuff82 on April 3, 2009 at 7:29 pm

I’ve been checking the showtimes for upcoming movies, and no movie says digital projection. When will it be installed at this theater?

moviebuff82 on April 2, 2009 at 1:50 am

Once all 16 screens are fitted with 4k, then people will come to this theater to experience what they can’t see on a blu-ray disc or on an HD cable service.

moviebuff82 on April 1, 2009 at 7:21 pm

I dunno….AMC at one time tried to show movies with 16mm projectors in the early years and it didn’t fare well.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on April 1, 2009 at 5:21 pm

All of which will be outdated and needed to be replaced in a decade.

But how many times does a 35/70 projector need to be replaced?

Giles
Giles on April 1, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Hah! AMC are a bunch of boneheads – great to hear the latest news with Sony and it’s 4K system rollout, but talk about flip flopping, DLP, IMAX-Digital, REAL-D and now Sony… jeesh make up your flippin' minds (?!)

moviebuff82 on March 31, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Thanks for the comment, SlimShady.

geniusdj2
geniusdj2 on March 30, 2009 at 11:42 pm

^^ yep that is correct… Sony 4K will be used… the date could’ve been moved up because it’s still tentative…