AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 1,126 - 1,150 of 1,546 comments

moviebuff82 on June 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm

The idea of brining the Met series to this theater was from a resident of the township who lives in the Fox Hills development located not too far from the mall, who is an avid opera fan and has been to the real met. AMC responded, and the result became a success. I hope they continue to show these live shows as well as the NCM Fathom showings in order to keep this theater alive while others jump into the digital backwagon.

moviebuff82 on June 6, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Tell me a description of the new policy trailers, Slim Shady. What about the Silence is Golden trailer? Did they change that? THat’s my favorite of all the AMC trailers, cause it warns moviegoers to be quiet, and reminds me a bit of the THX trailers.

JJD on June 6, 2009 at 4:43 pm

I totally agree with you. We also had cashiers who counted out change instead of just handing it to you…and always said “thank you”…and movie houses with character instead of cookie-cutter multiplexes…not to mention movies (double features even) with stories instead of headache inducing camerawork, loud soundtracks and themes which are designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator of moviegoer. My list goes on and on. I think you made my point. This is not so much about 3D itself (which I will heartily defend) but about digital and how the technology has changed so much that the once noble profession of “projectionist” has been reduced and handed down to button-pushing kids. In fact, I would have guessed that the introduction of 3D would have been an added challenge to the projectionist of your day since it once involved dual strip synchronized projection which had to be right. I think 3D’s initial demise was not so much about bad films (they’ve always existed) but more about how they were projected, which caused eyestrain and headaches. I’ll stop here but I just wanted to express my support for 3D as an enhancement to movies (and don’t want to see it disappear just because of the new way it’s being projected) while totally agreeing with you about how your profession has changed dramatically.

markp on June 6, 2009 at 3:52 pm

To each his own. But just remember one thing JJD, in my day we had projectionists, people who knew how to make changeovers, trim carbon rods and the alike. These so-called projectionists today are nothing more than the kids who sell you your popcorn and just have to push one button. Nothing hard about that.

geniusdj2 on June 6, 2009 at 8:55 am

on your next visit to AMC, dont forget to check out the new and improved Coming soon and feature presentation trailer….

moviebuff82 on June 5, 2009 at 7:16 pm

I agree. 3D will bring people back to the movies. I think Avatar will be the first 3D movie that will change everything about moviegoing. They are also making a videogame that will also be in 3D too.

JJD on June 5, 2009 at 4:16 pm

May I weigh in? If I were a projectionist for as long as you have been, I might agree with you. Having never been in your shoes, I can’t speak to whatever you are experiencing. However, is it about 3D itself, or digital projection (whether 2D or 3D)? Or maybe change in general. My first 3D movie was “Bwana Devil” in 1953 (I was 8 years old) and I have been waiting for this moment when they finally got 3D right. I agree with those who believe it is the next logical step to enhancing the movie experience (after sound and color). And, done right, can be very effective. I believe 3D is worth the effort and the digital technology certainly adds clarity and color purity. I also believe a new generation of projectionists may have an easier time adapting to new technologies, much like they do with anything new. I grew up in the 50s and still have trouble getting out of it. Hang in there! 3D is here to stay this time.

markp on June 5, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Let me make this as clear and easy to understand for everyone. As a union projectionist for 34 years, the answer to larry 2’s question is…NO !!!!!!

larry on June 5, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Does anyone really think that 3D is worth the effort?

markp on June 5, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Giles, no there hasn’t been a truce yet, not according to the owner I work for. And to all those including our good buddy justin who this digital thing is the next big wave, well when they were installing it at the place I work, the tech was saying theres already disputes about who can play what on which digital, and if you play this you breach this, so as I see it, these film companies, who along with companies like AMC and Regal are going to ruin yet another thing in this once proud movie industry. I just hope something breaks my way and the union can get me out before the bottom drops. As my owner said to me, after this summers wave of 3D, he’s going to rethink the whole thing. Boom!!!

moviebuff82 on June 5, 2009 at 11:44 am

Advance ticketing is now available for Transformers 2.

Giles on June 3, 2009 at 8:09 pm

what’s the current deal with ‘Ice Age 3’ (3D)? – I remember hearing on NPR that Fox didn’t want to provide glasses for theatres showing ‘Ice Age 3’, the theatre chains balked and were threatening to book only it in standard digital projection and 35mm but not the 3D version – has there been a truce?

moviebuff82 on June 3, 2009 at 7:34 pm

I mean nearly next month, since “Ice Age 3” opens. In the meantime, I’m going to ask my dad to drive over to Mansfield to see Up in 3-D since that’s the only stadium seating theater showing it in 3-D.

moviebuff82 on June 1, 2009 at 12:13 am

Went to a 3:35 showing of “Angels and Demons”, and it was worth enjoying. Nearly full house, movie was shown with a few splices but not as blurry projection and a decent pre-show. Hopefully Rockaway gets 3-D for next weekend when “Ice Age 3” plays.

moviebuff82 on May 31, 2009 at 6:59 pm

The first two Toy Story movies played at the old AMC in Rockaway, and hopefully the third one will be shown in 3D next year. That’s when 3D movies will be the de facto standard for mainstream audiences, as more theaters will add digital projection that can show stereoscopic imagery. This past weekend, Up became the highest grossing debut for a 3D movie, beating out Monsters vs Aliens, and got the best reviews since “Star Trek”. 3D or not, this movie will still play for a long time and fare better than the kiddie sequels.

moviebuff82 on May 30, 2009 at 3:06 am

Here’s a link to the theaters near the AMC in Rockaway…
Out of 10 theaters, 4 are digital and 6 don’t. I’m planning on seeing Angels and Demons on Sunday at the theater. Hopefully they won’t ring any fire alarms, splice any reels, or blur the projection!!!!

moviebuff82 on May 28, 2009 at 7:54 pm

According to what I read on Google movies, Up 3D is playing not only in many of the digital Clearviews, but also at the Hawthorne theater and at select AMCs. Hopefully by the time Ice Age 3-D comes out, then I’ll see it in 3D. Also is the IMAX system on track to debut at this theater when TF2 comes out? Pretty soon AMC will need to raise some cash in order to stay alive.

moviebuff82 on May 26, 2009 at 10:59 pm

CHecking advance tickets, no 3-D showtimes for Up. Oh, well….

moviebuff82 on May 25, 2009 at 3:20 am

Most recently, AMC restated its earnings, with three previous quarters of losing money. Hopefully when the economy improves, AMC will make money and not waste it on mini-IMAX theaters.

moviebuff82 on May 25, 2009 at 12:20 am

Once the economy improves, then it will happen. In the meantime, I’ll be probably sitting all the way back to the wall and see the movie as sharply as possible.

JJD on May 24, 2009 at 8:29 pm

I was at the theater today and asked two employees if UP will be shown in 3D and both said no. Both said digital is coming and it’s in the budget along with other things. So, once again, we’re getting conflicting information coming out of this theatre. I will believe NOTHING until I see it with my own two eyes (and hopefully will be wearing 3D glasses at the time).

moviebuff82 on May 22, 2009 at 8:38 pm

But according to an email I got from AMC as part of being a Moviewatcher, it will be in 3D on one screen and 2D on another. Maybe they’ll install it in house 8 just in time for that movie next week, and keep it playing for a few weeks until Ice Age 3 comes out. If it does well, then the next major 3D movie this summer, Final Destination 3D, will have to play in a 2D version.

moviebuff82 on May 19, 2009 at 11:33 pm

So far, Up won’t be in 3D next weekend…

moviebuff82 on May 18, 2009 at 7:43 pm

According to what I read online…
the installation of the digital projection will begin at the end of this summer, just in time for the upcoming Avatar movie, and will slowly affect all theaters by 2012 or later.

moviebuff82 on May 17, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Hey Jezebel, how’s work going on the digital projection? I hope it’s installed for the upcoming Up movie in 3-D, although advance tickets say it’s not in 3d. If that’s true, then I’ll wait until Ice Age 3-D comes out.