Wiltern Theater

3790 Wilshire Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90010

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on February 5, 2004 at 3:44 pm

Oh okay, off Sunset. I have since left Hollywood for Long Island. I work for United Artists (can you believe that?) at a six and twelve plex; and I work for Loews at an eight and ten plex. Before leaving L.A., I was free-lancing with a guy named Charles Massa at some of the stars' homes.

William
William on February 5, 2004 at 3:39 pm

My booth is near Crossroads of the Worlds.

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on February 5, 2004 at 3:35 pm

Is it through Local 150?

William
William on February 5, 2004 at 3:33 pm

Yes, in the booth keeping the movie running. A single screen.

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on February 5, 2004 at 3:31 pm

Are you still working in the biz today?

William
William on February 5, 2004 at 3:28 pm

During those days we had a operator in every booth. It was great working during that time. Not like todays theatres.

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on February 5, 2004 at 3:19 pm

It was all in the family back then.

William
William on February 5, 2004 at 3:18 pm

Richard’s daughter Jennifer was dating Tom the projectionist over at the Winnetka 6 Drive-In.

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on February 5, 2004 at 3:13 pm

I don’t know if I met her.

William
William on February 5, 2004 at 3:10 pm

I meet Richard back in around 1980-81 when he was over at the Picwood Theatre in West Los Angeles. He was with his girlfriend Robin, who was also a projectionist.

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on February 5, 2004 at 3:05 pm

Geezzz, you got it!!!

William
William on February 5, 2004 at 3:02 pm

Are you thinking of Richard Smith??

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on February 5, 2004 at 3:00 pm

Well, Carl may have been there, but another projectionist, who was also an attorney, was there when I was there. I forget his name now. He went on to become business agent in the mid 80s. Later, Kemp was back in and, eventually, Belfor became business agent.

William
William on February 5, 2004 at 2:46 pm

Didn’t Carl Belfour also work there during that time? Carl said he closed that theatre when Pacific left.

Meredith Rhule
Meredith Rhule on February 5, 2004 at 1:38 pm

I did relief projection there in the mid 80s. The place is gorgeous, but the pipe organ flutes ran shivers down my back, as if the Phantom Of The Opera would somehow appear. :)

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on January 16, 2004 at 11:45 am

In 1970 I sat with my cousin Vic and watched a double Bill of Two Mules for Sister Serrs and Sweet Charity. In the Late 1980’s I was at the Wiltern for a screening of 42nd St with Ruby Keeler in attendance. This is a wonderful theatre and thank god it was saved.Brucec

KPORCHE
KPORCHE on January 16, 2004 at 11:02 am

WHAT SUNDAY IN MARCH 2003 WAS THE JAHEIM CONCERT HELD AT THE WILTERN THEATER???

sdoerr
sdoerr on November 24, 2003 at 5:29 pm

Such a beautiful and unique theatre. Easily one of my favorites just by looking! 2 cheers for restoration!

DavidT
DavidT on November 24, 2003 at 7:08 am

To see a 1931 exterior view (grand opening) of the Warner Bros Western click here:
To see a 1931 interior view of the Warner Bros Western click here:

Mia
Mia on November 9, 2002 at 8:01 am

This site is such a great resource. As student of interior design I have just found my calling.

I was lucky enough to see the Rolling Stones at the Wiltern (!), and was so overwhelmed by the interiors I spent just as much time looking around, as at the band. Thanks.

William
William on October 2, 2002 at 12:55 pm

In the late 70’s Paramount Pictures made a film called “American Hot Wax”. They redressed the Wiltern Theatre to look like the Brooklyn Paramount Theatre for the Rock and Roll concerts that DJ Allen Freed held. Paramount placed new neon on the vertical theatre sign and marquee. And Universal used the Wiltern for “Streets of Fire” and Chuck Norris used it for a location of one of his movies.

JustOldBob
JustOldBob on September 14, 2002 at 5:18 pm

How do you say you fell in love with a theatre…hehe…well, the first time I saw this place in about 1940, I just could not get enough of it, I could use superlatives all day about it. I was in the “attic” area once, and I swear, you could have put a small one story two bedroom house up there. The one place I always recognize, besides the front, is that long metal ramp at the rear on the west side. In the movie made just a few years back, The Shadow, with Alec Baldwin, I saw that ramp with a 1946 Ford police car by it, and knew it right away. Yes, I will always remember that place, and long may it live.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on May 8, 2002 at 2:18 am

The Rolling Stones have just announced they will play this theater on No. 4th.

BHousos
BHousos on February 24, 2002 at 7:12 am

The theater opened 0ctober 7, 1931. Building Architects were Morgan,Walls & Clements. Theater architect was G. Albert Lansburgh, along with theater decorator Anthony Heinsbergen.

William
William on August 20, 2001 at 9:13 am

This theatre opened as the Warner Bros. WESTERN theatre. The theatre is located at the corner of Western and Wilshire Blvd. (Wiltern). An Art Deco delight. The organ in the Wiltern came from another local Warner House just south of it on Pico Blvd. (The Forum theatre). The last chain to operate the Wiltern was Pacific Theatres. Just before this was to close, Pacific removed the organ and placed it in storage (as of the mid 80’s).