Ford Center for the Performing Arts Oriental Theatre

24 W. Randolph Street,
Chicago, IL 60601

300bowler
300bowler on March 22, 2007 at 2:38 pm

Could someone if they have the movie listings for the Oriental e-mail the movie listings from say the mid 50s until it closed in 1981?

300 bowler

Mikehaack
Mikehaack on March 8, 2007 at 7:11 pm

For the Organ enthusiast, The original organ console is, as of today, on display in the Lower Lobby of the FCPA/ORIENTAL.

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on February 5, 2007 at 3:25 pm

Enjoy the show! :)

reginamom
reginamom on February 5, 2007 at 11:51 am

Thanks for your help, “CHI74” and “Life’s too short”. I’ll try to be brave!
Reginamom

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on January 17, 2007 at 12:54 am

Also if you want picture of the inside of the Orential try the yellow pages in the front of the book their is a few pages for theatres and if i recall rigt their is a pic of the Orential small but it may just give you an idea.

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on January 17, 2007 at 12:51 am

This is true, the dress circle and the loge mostly when you are on the loge floor and you look up you then get the point of the 1 ½ stories. But it realy is not that high but if you have a problem as i said before ask to speak to the House MGR.
Other then that have fun and enjoy the show.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on January 16, 2007 at 8:18 pm

As I recall, the balcony of the Oriental isn’t too steep. I think you should feel safe. The only problem I can see would come into play if your seats are right up on the railing. It will be obvious at that point that you are about 1 ½ stories from the main floor.

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on January 16, 2007 at 8:06 pm

TO reginamon :
If you would like to see the Orential Balc pic you can try the broadway in chicago site that is the offical site for the Orential if you look at the top of the profile you will see a link for it onder related websites. If that cant halp you when you get to the theatre before you go to your ticked seat ask to speak to the HOUSE MGR. you might be able to get a relocation pass for your self but not the whole group. But as i sayed before before you go to the balc ask to speak to the HOUSE MGR. and see what he/she can do .
Have a great time and enjoy the show. :)

reginamom
reginamom on January 16, 2007 at 8:41 am

My Girl Scout troop will be attending the play Wicked soon at the Oriental Theatre and of course we have balcony seats, because cookie money doesn’t go very far! I am deathly afraid of heights and I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find pictures of the interior of the theatre so that I can mentally prepare for how high up the seats are before we go.
Thanks
Troop leader

DimitriusStrong
DimitriusStrong on December 18, 2006 at 1:24 am

Awesome, invaluable info. Thanks very much BW.

Broan
Broan on December 17, 2006 at 10:30 pm

The United Artists was at the SE corner of Randolph and Dearborn, The Woods was at the NW Corner, with the Cinestage and Michael Todd on Dearborn next to it. Next to the Woods on Randolph was the Garrick, which was long gone by the 80s, as was the Apollo a little north of it. Another block down was the Palace, which also did live shows as the Bismarck. Also next to the Chicago in the Walgreens building was the small Loop theater, and across from Field’s was the Roosevelt. These were the major theaters of the “Randolph Street Rialto”.

Thanks for all your recollections!

DimitriusStrong
DimitriusStrong on December 17, 2006 at 9:56 pm

Werent there several other theaters up and down the same street The Oriental was located? I was very young then to remember what they were named, but I do remember several more up and down the same block. Anyone who can name them for me, it would be greatly appreciated to further my research of these amazing theatrical palaces.

Broan
Broan on November 28, 2006 at 12:30 pm

Here is a 1960s shot of the Oriental reflected in a restaurant across the street.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 20, 2006 at 3:03 pm

Wish I could have seen it in person.

Broan
Broan on November 20, 2006 at 11:55 am

1927 views of the Oriental Marquee can be seen by searching http://www.wttwdigitalarchives.com/searchres.php for 26128 or 26129.

Broan
Broan on November 17, 2006 at 11:21 am

Here is the marquee in its ‘Wicked’ glory.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on November 1, 2006 at 3:23 pm

Amazing photo. I remember taking a bus from that Trailways depot when I was a really little kid.

Broan
Broan on November 1, 2006 at 2:14 pm

Here is a postcard view of the Oriental.

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on October 5, 2006 at 7:27 pm

As i have written in the other post in the Chicago Mag October edition.
on page 116 their is a very nice pic of the Orential sign and marquee
i think it is from the 401s judgeing from the car in the pic.

Broan
Broan on August 20, 2006 at 12:57 pm

Here is a 1950s view of the glitzy Randolph Street Rialto.

Broan
Broan on August 20, 2006 at 12:30 pm

Here is an early postcard view of the New United Masonic Temple Building/Oriental Theater

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on August 3, 2006 at 10:58 am

Thank You for the HAARGIS photo i forgot how the Orential looked back then. Thank You for your time :)

Broan
Broan on August 3, 2006 at 8:30 am

Here is an early 1990s HAARGIS photo of the unrestored Oriental from across Block 37.