Biograph Theater

2433 N. Lincoln Avenue,
Chicago, IL 60657

Horace
Horace on June 27, 2005 at 2:02 pm

As has been an annual tradition for years, the JOHN DILLINGER DIED FOR YOU SOCIETY will convene outside the Biograph on the evening of July 22, 2005. The public is invited. Also, Dillinger’s alley is still there. Contrary to popular belief. tho, the telephone pole there has been replaced many times.

Broan
Broan on June 3, 2005 at 10:05 am

I don’t think it really was about that. It was open right up til Victory Gardens announced their purchase, and they had been investigating it for a long time. And the ownership shuffle probably didn’t help, but that was largely a matter of bankruptcies. Granted, VG has seemingly done very little renovating so far (funding?). It’s good to see it in the hands of someone who will use it rather than tear it down, even if their plan isn’t totally ideal. It should at least look better.

cinemajunkie
cinemajunkie on June 3, 2005 at 9:19 am

The thing I can’t understand is how can 3 Penny keep surviving but Biograph seemed unable to stay afloat? It is not like I want 3 Penny to close anything but the Biograph is across the street and people seemed like they just didn’t want to go to Biograph .

Broan
Broan on March 16, 2005 at 9:36 am

The Dillinger alley is still there, the buildings around it have just changed. View link This shows a diagram of the Dillinger Shooting; the grocery was demolished recently and a coldstone and qdoba now occupy its site. The 3 Penny is still there, twinned. As far as I know, the only theatre just off Argyle was the Argmore, but that closed in the 50s. Perhaps you’re thinking of the Bryn Mawr, directly next to the Bryn Mawr stop? The Century Centre, and all the other theatres you mention are all listed on this site.

motogal
motogal on March 16, 2005 at 7:17 am

Ken, the Three Penny is directly across the street from the Biograph. Regarding The Century, it continues to expand and there are now seven movie screens on the top floor of the mall; they show artsy and foreign films these days.

kenraney
kenraney on March 16, 2005 at 3:16 am

The alley where Dillinger was shot no longer exists as a building was built over it. I saw Rocky Horror there as well in 1978-79. The show was well established and regulars brought all the props. The show was always packed. I maybe confusing locations, but wasn’t there a small “Arts” theater called the Three Penny across the street?
I recall a revival theater opening off the Argyle “EL” stop. I saw The Wizard of Oz on the big screen there for the very first time. I was thrilled to see details I never saw on all the years I’d seen it on tv.
Living on the northside in what was then called “New Town”, Belmont was my EL stop and I often saw films at the Lakeshore Theater.
I worked in an old theater on Clark Street that had been converted into an mini-indoor shopping center. The ornate white stone facade was all that was left and it was called The Century. Anybody know anything about it?
Ken Raney

QUIXOTE
QUIXOTE on January 21, 2005 at 11:16 pm

I only saw one film at the Biograph, back in the early 1970s… A DAY IN THE LIFE OF IVAN DENISOVITCH. Don’t remember the last of the film tho; I and the Lady I was with had smoked our brains out on weed before coming in, and we fell asleep! <<grin>>

Back then, the whole area was a hippie hangout; right across the street was the old folk music club, “Somebody Else’s Troubles”.

motogal
motogal on October 10, 2004 at 8:21 pm

Brian Wolf & br91975, the Biograph has (or had, as the case may be) three screens: one main one on the first level and two smaller ones upstairs. On thing I found charming was the old-fashioned ticket seller’s box.

br91975
br91975 on September 9, 2004 at 10:18 pm

The Biograph was a three-screen house although, having never seen a film there, I can’t attest to the layout.

Broan
Broan on September 9, 2004 at 9:58 pm

Also, I believe this was a three screen, as there were only three placards and three films booked. But never having been there I can’t confirm this.

Broan
Broan on September 9, 2004 at 9:55 pm

The Biograph Theater has now closed. This despite the listings showing it open today. Oh well.

Broan
Broan on August 22, 2004 at 3:56 pm

You’d have to contact the owner, Village theatres. http://www.villagetheatres.com

mikeylikey
mikeylikey on August 22, 2004 at 1:46 pm

Are there any old pa amplifiers from the Biograph available for purchase… That is, of course, if they are not going to be otherwise used.

Michael

markymark
markymark on July 3, 2004 at 10:05 am

I attended “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” at The Biograph from 3/80 to 6/83 and it holds very special memories for me.
Anybody know if the beautifully ornate building a little to the north which once housed Wax Trax records was of any historic signifigence?

fmtheis
fmtheis on June 28, 2004 at 1:21 pm

I just returned form a trip to Chicago which included a family reunion and a tour of the Biograph. (My great grandfather built it, owned it until 1922 when it went to a holding company controlled by his wife Lena and brother Charles… and then it was transferred to his 7 children in 1947. My grandmother sold her interest in 1972 – I am curious which relative Mr. Lubliner is?. Part of my documentation includes tax payments (really neat, and cheap by today’s standards)and floor plans throughout its history.

The theater is going to be turned into a ‘legitimate’ theater in the next few months, significantly changing the interior structure (little remains of the original). The main theater will lose half of its seats when a stage is built, and one the upper theaters will be modified with flate (rather than raked) floors. Exploratory tests have shown some original work may be hidden beneath the dropped ceilings, but it is too early to know what can/will be preserved.

fmtheis
fmtheis on May 25, 2004 at 11:44 am

The Biograph Theater was built by Henry Ericsson & Co, general contractors. Henry Ericsson also owned the building into the 1920’s. (Henry Ericsson was my great-grandfather). He built other theaters in Chicago including the Roosevelt, The Cort Theater, and The Lane Court.

richardrubin
richardrubin on May 21, 2004 at 9:54 am

The Biograph was also owned by my grandfather, Harry Moses Lubliner back in the ‘20-'30.

JohnSanchez
JohnSanchez on January 16, 2004 at 4:21 pm

The Biograph was a hugely popular art house in the 1970’s. So much so that the owner decided to add two smaller theaters upstairs that he called the Ritz and the Roxy. For some reason people became confused by the names and it was soon just named the Biograph 1-3. Every year on the anniversary of Dillinger’s shooting the theater would play the same movie (Manhattan Melodrama) that was showing that night. The admission price was the same as it was that evening and customers were encouraged to dress in 1930’s clothing. The seat where Dillinger supposedly sat is painted a different color from the other seats and is quite easy to notice (left hand side about two thirds down, first seat off the aisle to the left).The Biograph was also the first place in Chicago to start the midnight showings of “Rocky Horror Picture Show” which lasted a few years. When the theater closed in late 2000 it was dark for over a year with the exception of the occasional film festival. They have since re-opened but one wonders for how long. There are no ads in the Chicago Sun-Times for the Biograph, only in the Tribune. The last time I was there I saw “Rules of Attraction” in one of the tiny theaters upstairs with 4 others. When checking out the big theater, which was showing “Sweet Home Alabama” there were only 2 people in the 7pm show.

JamesPiscitelli
JamesPiscitelli on October 12, 2003 at 11:28 pm

The Biograph was once known for showing independent films (besides the Music Box and the Fine Arts downtown). It went through several chains from Plitt to Cineplex Odeon to Loews/Cineplex to Meridian to Village Theaters.

abbyworld
abbyworld on July 4, 2002 at 1:56 pm

As of yesterday, July 3, the Biograph has reopened as a first-run theatre. It’s being run by the Village Entertainment mini-chain.