Pantages Theatre

6233 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

William
William on November 3, 2006 at 5:41 am

Yes, Los Angeles still has a good number of palaces still in operation whether it be film or touring Broadway shows.
In Hollywood:
Pantages (Broadway/Concerts)
Chinese (Film)
El Capitan (Film/Special Events)

In Los Angeles:
Wiltern (Concerts/Special Events)
Los Angeles (Special Events/Filming Location)
Orpheum (Special Events/Filming Location)
Palace (Special Events/Film Location)
United Artists (Church)
Million Dollar (closed)
State (church)

In Beverly Hills:

Wilshire (Special Events/Concerts)

Others:
Hollywood Pacific (closed/maybe planning tobe restored soon)
Warner Huntington Park (closed/people are interested in it)
Warner Grand (San Pedro) (Movies/Concerts/Special Events/Filming)
Village (Movies)

Those are some of the true places that are still standing and operating.

Vito
Vito on November 3, 2006 at 4:48 am

It must be nice to have so many grand theatres still intact.
Here in New York, with the exception of Radio City Music Hall, all of the wonderful old theatres have either been torn down or converted into small little movie theatre boxes. The young New Yorkers will never experience the thrill of watching a movie in a real movie palace.

William
William on November 2, 2006 at 4:21 am

The four Norelco DP70’s are still there. You can see alittle bit of the lobby in the movie “Phat Girlz”, during a dream at the start of the movie.

The Pantages has been doing the touring Broadway show route and has had a few concerts and been a site for awards shows and filming locations in recent years

Vito
Vito on November 2, 2006 at 3:57 am

Recently, on television, I saw the magnificent Pantages in a horror/sci fi award show which was held there. I had not seen the theatre since the last time I was in LA back in 1958. What a beauty she is! I was not interested in the award show but watched it in order to see what the theatre looked like. I must say, seeing it restored and looking so grand was a thrill.
William mentioned in another post that the theatre was still capable of showing film and I wondered if that was still the case and when the last time the theatre was used for that purpose. Are those Norelco’s still in the booth? Also what type of stage curtain is in use now?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 14, 2006 at 3:06 pm

Here is a 1937 photo from the USC archive:

clvee
clvee on February 28, 2006 at 3:24 am

The last time I went to the Pantages it was a double feather in the after noon. Must have been 1960. They were ‘Sink the Bismark" and “The Blob”. Lots of free parking but not many cars. The price was about 60 plus cents. What a come down for the grand ole theater?

frankie
frankie on January 11, 2006 at 9:09 am

JustOldBob: Patty McCormack & Robert Wagner NEVER
took home the “magic statue”, although Patty was nominated.

GWaterman
GWaterman on December 26, 2005 at 4:18 pm

When I first came to Los Angeles, one of my first jobs was working as a stagehand running a followspot for Riverdance at the Pantages. What an incredible building! My spot was mounted on a vertical tower set just in front of the proscenium. It was really something to be sitting up on top of a piece of steel so close to the plaster.

This is an incredible theatre. I remember how magnificent the lobby was! When we ran control cable for the PA system, I was sent down into the plenum below the seats to run the cable. Found several old theatre programs down in there, from other Nederlander shows.

In later years I sat in the audience for “The Producers”, and was just in awe of my surroundings.

Just idle curiosity —– is this the Pantages in the lyrics of the Ricky Lee Jones song?

God knows there are plenty of Pantages theatres on the west coast, but I am assuming she meant the Hollywood one in the song.

stevebob
stevebob on November 11, 2005 at 1:35 am

For ken mc: Warners Hollywood > Warners Cinerama > Hollywood Pacific > Pacific 1-2-3. It’s already listed as one of your favorites: /theaters/18/

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 25, 2005 at 3:32 pm

Can someone place these two theaters on Hollywood Boulevard for me? They must be here under different names, particularly the Warner’s theater. Thanks. The photo is from yesterdayla.com:

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on July 12, 2005 at 9:39 am

Biography(Leslie Ann Warren) last night showed a bit of the Pantages at the time of the world premiere of Disney’s Happiest MIllionaire.

teecee
teecee on July 12, 2005 at 9:29 am

Caption: “Academy Awards: 31st Annual,” Pantages Theater. 1959.
Source: MPTV

LarryGardner
LarryGardner on June 8, 2005 at 2:43 pm

Just wished to comment that in the new Academy Award nominated film, “The Aviator”, starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes, we see DiCaprio as Hughes attending a premiere at the Pantages in 1939. How do we know it is 1939? Because a poster in the Boxoffice street lobby has a poster advertising as a coming attraction, MGM’s “The Women”! This is an error. Being an MGM production, “The Women” never played at this theater, an RKO property. Further, at that time and through the second world war years, all posters at the first run theaters in Hollywood had specially made, unique, and expensive hand-cut posters that were NOT paper sheets printed by National Screen Service, as was the case with all other theaters everywhere.
The Director of “The Aviator”, Martin Scorsese, never caught this error. LarryGardner

BhillH20
BhillH20 on June 4, 2005 at 5:25 pm

It is a pleasure to see this magnificent art deco masterpiece reach its milestone 75th anniversary today!!!

uncleal923
uncleal923 on April 1, 2005 at 6:27 pm

I just visited California and saw the Pantages. I come from Long Island, New York. I would like to say that this is still a beautiful theater from the outside. I did not go inside.

teecee
teecee on April 1, 2005 at 12:42 pm

The Florodora Girl (1930) was the first film which opened the famous Pantages Theater at Hollywood and Vine.

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on February 28, 2005 at 11:57 am

The Pantages was showcased on Good Morning America on ABC as the morning after the Oscars. They really showed off the theatre during the interviews which took place in the Lobby. The Oscars were held here from 1949-1959.They also took you into the Auditorium and mentioned the theatre during the whole hour of the telecast. brucec

trooperboots
trooperboots on February 7, 2005 at 7:25 pm

brucec…. Just wanted to say that I own the DVD of the restored “A Star is Born” and even though still shots were used, the movie shows what an enormous talent Judy Garland was. The range of emotions and her singing and dancing run through the entire picture. Vic and Ron did a great job and the film is as much a tribute to them as it is to Judy. She must be smiling in heaven with them. Thanks for the note.

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on January 31, 2005 at 10:24 am

I saw the movie “Klute” with Jane Fonda and Danald Sutherland at the Pantages with my cousin Vic who passed away yesterday. He was head of the Audio Visual Dept at the LA County Museum of Art for a number of years. He introduced me to all the great movie palaces in the LA area when I would make trips to LA when I was a child.He worked with Ron Haber at the museum who was responsible for the restoration of “A Star is Born” with Judy Garland which had a huge premiere at the Pantages in 1954. I will miss my cousin who always took me to the movies in Hollywood and Westwood and sometimes Downtown.It will always be a magical time in my life and I was fortunate to have such a wonderful cousin.brucec

trooperboots
trooperboots on January 19, 2005 at 8:08 pm

Hi Warren, as far as I know, it has simply been “the Pantages”, however, for some of us who have lived in the Los Angeles area for a while, we often refer to it as the “Hollywood Pantages” to avoid confusion with the “Los Angeles Pantages” at 7th and Hill Streets, later renamed the Warner Theater, which is only a few miles away. In San Diego, there was also a “San Diego Pantages”, as well. They all were operating in the 30s and 40s under the same name from what I can tell…

The story of the Los Angeles Pantages at Cinema Treasures
/theaters/491/

The story of the San Diego Pantages at San Diego Historical Society

trooperboots
trooperboots on January 19, 2005 at 12:25 pm

Hi GerryC. There are 2 theaters seen in “Ed Wood” . The first theater scene, where the crowd goes wild and is throwing popcorn is where the cast of “Plan 9” exits in a hurry and the film that is on the marquee is “Bride of the Monster”. The theater used for that scene was in Torrance and was called “The Stadium” theater but renamed especially for the film as “The Aurora”. It has since been demolished. The story of that theater is at /theaters/1908/

As you mention, the Pantages was the theater we see Ed and the cast of “Plan 9 from Outer Space” attend the premier of, but only Ed and his bride-to-be exit to the pouring rain at the end of the movie. I am not sure which theater “Plan 9” actually had it’s premier, but I don’t think it was the Pantages… however, the Pantages did give the movie that triumphant feel that Ed Wood actually accomplished his goal of being a movie director to be recognized. One note: Ed meets Orson Welles in a restaurant… that real life place is a few blocks from the Pantages and is called “Musso and Frank Grille” and has been a fixture on the boulevard for about 90 years. A bit of old Hollywood that still looks pretty much the same as it did in the 50s when I first went there as a boy.

Does anyone else know where the Wood films first showed? Do those venues still exsist?

Englewood
Englewood on January 19, 2005 at 10:46 am

In the 1994 film “Ed Wood,” there is a scene of Ed Wood and his cast from ‘Plan 9 From Outer Space’ leaving the Pantages Theater after viewing same. Ironic. “Plan 9 From Outer Space” at the Pantages?

uncleal923
uncleal923 on January 4, 2005 at 8:40 pm

Is the Producers still playing there?