Paris Theatre

4 W. 58th Street,
New York, NY 10019

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 27, 2019 at 6:35 pm

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 27, 2019 at 6:35 pm

At the 1:30 PM screening today of “Pavarotti” the curtain opened, after having been closed (as always) with music playing. One trailer, “Judy” was shown. The City Cinemas trailer appeared. Then the movie! As the movie finished, the audience applauded, and the curtain closed. Customers asked staff if the theater is closing? I hope the Paris is not closing forever! But from news reports, I fear it might be. The Paris is a very cool place to see excellent films.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 23, 2019 at 2:41 pm

Hello-

speaking of City Cinemas. does anyone have any inside info on the rather abrupt closing of the 86th East? it was so abrupt even the staff was taken aback.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 23, 2019 at 8:26 am

I wish that article’s indications would come true! However, at least one article indicated that the theater is not booking new films because allegedly the building owner is not going to keep it as a theater. This month, August, I believe is the last month of the 10 year City Cinemas lease. Again, I truly wish the reports of the theater’s pending death are exaggerated & that the Paris could live on with more movies, but I fear the worst.

br91975
br91975 on August 23, 2019 at 8:21 am

The time to eulogize the Paris might NOT be near: http://vanishingnewyork.blogspot.com/2019/07/well-always-haveparis.html

Trolleyguy
Trolleyguy on August 23, 2019 at 7:02 am

There have been a number of articles in the New York press about this theatre closing sometime this summer. With nothing scheduled past August 29 that might be the case here.

curmudgeon
curmudgeon on August 23, 2019 at 5:02 am

Just checked the Paris web-site. Nothing listed under “coming soon”.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on August 22, 2019 at 5:37 pm

I just uploaded a few exterior picutres today at the Paris.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 19, 2019 at 5:18 pm

Unfortunately, if you google “Paris Theatre NYC closing” you will find many articles. It is sad, very sad, since so many people love this theater, myself included.

ridethectrain
ridethectrain on August 19, 2019 at 5:11 pm

This theatre will show films for a three to four month run. Can’t imagine it closing, they put reserved seating 2 years ago.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on August 19, 2019 at 3:30 pm

Hello-

granted its still open but its still playing “Pavarotti”. it makes me worry they haven’t boked another film.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on August 19, 2019 at 3:26 pm

from what I can figure, August is the last month of the 10 year lease that City Cinemas holds. The theater’s last day may be this Thursday, or next Thursday, or whenever, but I fear it is coming!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 19, 2019 at 3:04 pm

It’s already august and the theater is still open…

vindanpar
vindanpar on July 13, 2019 at 12:44 pm

Yes! I liked them. I thought they were pretty funny. They might be also in the souvenir program which is somewhere…

terry
terry on July 13, 2019 at 11:25 am

‘Paint Your Wagon’ was the last ‘proper’ roadshow at my Newcastle (UK) theatre, the Essoldo (later ABC) when it was still a single auditorium. The run was 22 weeks from 13 Apr 1970 and the cinema seated 1,975…..

When the theatre reopened as a twin on 23 July 1971 another Paramount picture, ‘Love Story’ ran for 29.5 weeks ( the first 6.5 weeks being in both screens) although its popularity amazes me to this day……..

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on July 13, 2019 at 11:07 am

He went ahead and made “THE GREAT GATSBY” to spite Ali McGraw for whom he had bought the rights. Remember those desperate Peter Max posters trying to make “PAINT YOUR WAGON” mod?

vindanpar
vindanpar on July 13, 2019 at 10:43 am

Good book and documentary though I don’t remember him talking about those films. But there’s a lot of info and I remember mostly about Steve, Ali and what an ungrateful wretch Ryan was(is.) Who did he blame Great Gatsby on?

Paramount in ‘70 and '71 stayed true to the Music Hall.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on July 13, 2019 at 7:43 am

According to Evan’s book (THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE), those big budget musicals were already in progress when he took over the studio and he was unable to stop them. Of course, no studio head will admit sole responsibility for a box office flop.

vindanpar
vindanpar on July 12, 2019 at 8:21 pm

But isn’t it interesting that at the very same time Paramount was investing heavily in roadshow movies? Paint Your Wagon, On a Clear Day and Darling Lili. Though the last two because of the tanking of roadshow presentations were severely cut and released on a continuous perf basis. Beaton finally getting to see Clear Day when it opened in London in ‘71 records in his diary his dismay and anger at the waste. His work in the film that one sees is amazing(I don’t think Streisand has looked more beautiful and her singing is at its best) and yet he laments that his best work was cut out!

I’ve already written about him fleeing Paint Your Wagon during intermission at the world premiere at Loew’s State 2. Well I liked it.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on July 12, 2019 at 3:48 pm

bigjoe, they had dome the same research as for any roadshow but audience behavior was rapidly changing and movies not aimed at the youth market were failing.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on July 12, 2019 at 3:38 pm

Hello-

to Al A.–

I am assuming Paramount must have done some sort of market research before the ads for Romeo and Juliet’s roadshow engagement at this theater first appeared in NYC newspapers.

I wonder how many other people kept the postcard you received when you sent in your reserved ticket order and then the letter you got when they changed the exhibition policy.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on July 12, 2019 at 3:23 pm

“Romeo and Juliet” was removed from a roadshow run when audience studies showed that the film appealed to a core audience of teenagers and college students. That same audience had made a hit out of “2001”, although that film had terrible pre-sales but always seemed to sell out at showtime. Robert Evans targeted the “Goodbye, Columbus” and “If…” audience instead of the “Shrew” audience.

vindanpar
vindanpar on July 12, 2019 at 2:52 pm

Sorry, I get lazy. Film Forum. Taming of the Shrew.

In Cactus Flower Hawn and Matthau come here to see Romeo and Juliet.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 12, 2019 at 2:09 pm

Why write in code? what’s FF? TOTS?

vindanpar
vindanpar on July 12, 2019 at 1:48 pm

I didn’t care about the Ziegfeld but I care about the Paris. A wonderful intimate and yet not too small theater where the screen is beautifully placed head on. If only FF had a theater like this.

Interesting that R and J was originally supposed to be a roadshow. I wondered why it wasn’t after all it was released at the peak of the craze. TOTS was roadshow albeit an eastside roadshow(which in my mind is kind of like well if it’s not in a downtown theater it’s not a real roadshow presentation!) I had read FZ wanted it released continuous perfs because he was going after a younger market. And here I am reading all these years later in reality it was simply because of a poor advance sale. They probably made a lot more money anyway. Anybody know how many months it played exclusively here? I remember my parents going to see it at a suburban art house in the summer of ‘69.

As long as Chinese, Russian and Arab billionaires are buying them up and keeping them empty and thereby destroying the city while enriching politicians and brokers I guess yes we indeed do need another deluxe condo tower.