Syosset Triplex

565 Jericho Turnpike,
Syosset, NY 11791

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 3, 2005 at 6:33 pm

So, in other words, more than a full year passed before “Oklahoma!” played a full engagement at the Syosset in Todd-AO, and by that time the movie was also being distributed in a CinemaScope version.

moviebluedog
moviebluedog on September 3, 2005 at 2:54 pm

There is more information about “Oklahoma!” engagements in the New York City area here:

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on September 3, 2005 at 12:33 pm

I believe that “Oklahoma” was shown here only on the theatre’s gala opening night to demonstrate its Todd-AO capabiltiy, though the movie later returned for a roadshow engagment. Here are some views from November or December 1956 with a double-feature of “Between Heaven and Hell” and “Stagecoach to Fury.” Note the opening flags still draped on the exterior:
www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/137-3723_IMG.jpg
www.18.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/137-3717_IMG.jpg

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 1, 2005 at 5:46 pm

Capt. Ron: Here’s an excellent explanation of the roadshow concept from Marty Hart’s American Widescreen Museum site:

You shouldn’t feel ignorant about it – the concept was practically dead by the early 1970’s, sad to say.

RonMotta
RonMotta on September 1, 2005 at 5:03 pm

Okay, I feel really stupid for asking this, but I’ve gotta know….

I grew up in the 70’s and (mainly) 80’s, so I’m not familiar with movie theater lingo. What, exactly, is a “roadshow”?

Again, I apologize for my ignorance! :)

Coate
Coate on August 29, 2005 at 1:10 pm

I believe the NYC roadshow run of “Young Winston” played at the Columbia.

U.S. premiere, by the way, was held at Grauman’s Chinese during FILMEX, Nov. 9, 1972. L.A. roadshow run began the following day at Loew’s Beverly.

World premiere, I believe, was in London.

RobertR
RobertR on August 28, 2005 at 5:39 pm

I have never heard of this roadshow “Young Winston”, does anyone know where it opened in Manhattan?

Coate
Coate on August 25, 2005 at 9:48 pm

Neither link worked for me.

AndrewLerner
AndrewLerner on August 25, 2005 at 8:44 pm

PICTURE PICTURE PICTURE View link PHOTOGRAPH PHOTOGRAPH PHOTOGRAPH 02/24/1976

AndrewLerner
AndrewLerner on August 25, 2005 at 7:55 pm

SYOSSET THEATER PICTURE: View link PHOTOGRAPH 1973 PICTURE_______________________________________________________________

BobT
BobT on August 22, 2005 at 5:30 pm

Oh yeah McDonald’s had a great location and that was for the young'ins but I couldn’t count how many I broke a show and heard someone say “Let’s go to the diner for coffee and cake!” to top off the evening.

BobT
BobT on August 22, 2005 at 5:26 pm

Ah “Hercules”, I only remember that CaptRonLI because I was there for the last night. I came up from my theatre to say goodbye because I knew what fate was instore the old girl. A fate completely underserved.

RonMotta
RonMotta on August 22, 2005 at 4:17 pm

Bob, how could I have forgotten about that cinematic masterpiece that was Lou Ferrigno in “Hercules”? :–) “Superman III” was, I think, the last movie I saw there (although I sort of remember seeing the “Star Wars” trilogy there before it was converted into a triplex…but I could be mixed up).

Like I said this was a great place for a teen growing up in Syosset back in the 80’s. Your ‘rents would drop you off at the movie theater and you could pop into McDonald’s right next door for a pre- or post-movie meal. If you’re feeling really adventurous, you could walk down to the diner or Carvel.

AndrewLerner
AndrewLerner on August 22, 2005 at 3:40 pm

I finally took the Syosset Theater photograph I took in the 1970ies out of my long lost photo album to scan it, and am now having problems with my scanner!

az50plus
az50plus on August 7, 2005 at 5:56 pm

Growing up in Syosset I remember going to a movie was an event. I remember seeing such classics as The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins & Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad…World. I can even remember going to the theater to celebrate mass because of reconstruction or something going on at St. Edwards. My most memorable event was sneaking off to see Woodstock & having the manager throw everybody out before the show started due to his impatience with certain people smoking pot in the theater. I was mad because I didnt get to see the movie that day and I lost my dollar!

BobT
BobT on August 2, 2005 at 3:09 pm

Hey nhp bob, you sure the school trip to “Godspell” was for the UA Syosset and not the UA Cinema 150 down the street? The last feature to play The Syosset before it was mutilated was actualy the prestigious booking of Lou Ferrigno in “Hercules”. “Superman III” opened on June 16, 1983 and Herc followed it on August 26th for a week. The Syosset was a great place to see a big show. It was not as ornate as say The Bayshore but it’s 70MM was first rate. The Syosset had “The Towering Inferno” while The 150 had “Earthquake”. Opening night of ‘Alien" was an event, waiting for the sold out crowd to exit, outside online on a warm night, not knowing what to expect. Why was waiting outside on line for theatres like The 150, The Syosset, The Bayshore or The Hicksville North/South no big deal? Some of Syosset’s big exclusive engagements included, “All The Presidents Men”, “The World According To Garp”, “The Way We Were”, “A Star Is Born” and “For Pete’s Sake”. Streisand did very in Syosset.

RobertR
RobertR on July 14, 2005 at 12:14 am

Here is an ad to order tickets for the roadshow of “This is Cinerama"

RobertR
RobertR on June 10, 2005 at 6:29 pm

I forgot to add Cinerama started here June 26, 1959.

RobertR
RobertR on June 10, 2005 at 6:27 pm

The Sunday before “This is Cinerama” opened at the Syosset, there was a ½ page ad in the NY Times with an order form to order advance seats. Adult prices varied between $1.35 and $2.80 and children were .90 at all times.

RobertR
RobertR on February 18, 2005 at 9:58 pm

I loved this theatre and the D-150. They will never be able to be replaced.

charlesanne
charlesanne on February 18, 2005 at 8:03 pm

The Cinerama Flims were shown in this order, This is Cinerama, Seven Wonders of the World, then in March1960, Can Can in Todd-ao, it was Shown on the Cinerama Screen that was a real hoot. Then Cinerama Holiday, Windjammer, and South Seas Adventure, the Cinerama Screen was removed in August 1961. And was reinstalled in 1963, for the Wanderful World of the Brothers Gimm, and How the West was Won.