Syosset Triplex

565 Jericho Turnpike,
Syosset, NY 11791

Coate
Coate on August 25, 2005 at 4:48 pm

Neither link worked for me.

AndrewLerner
AndrewLerner on August 25, 2005 at 3:44 pm

PICTURE PICTURE PICTURE View link PHOTOGRAPH PHOTOGRAPH PHOTOGRAPH 02/24/1976

AndrewLerner
AndrewLerner on August 25, 2005 at 2:55 pm

SYOSSET THEATER PICTURE: View link PHOTOGRAPH 1973 PICTURE_______________________________________________________________

BobT
BobT on August 22, 2005 at 12:30 pm

Oh yeah McDonald’s had a great location and that was for the young'ins but I couldn’t count how many I broke a show and heard someone say “Let’s go to the diner for coffee and cake!” to top off the evening.

BobT
BobT on August 22, 2005 at 12:26 pm

Ah “Hercules”, I only remember that CaptRonLI because I was there for the last night. I came up from my theatre to say goodbye because I knew what fate was instore the old girl. A fate completely underserved.

RonMotta
RonMotta on August 22, 2005 at 11:17 am

Bob, how could I have forgotten about that cinematic masterpiece that was Lou Ferrigno in “Hercules”? :–) “Superman III” was, I think, the last movie I saw there (although I sort of remember seeing the “Star Wars” trilogy there before it was converted into a triplex…but I could be mixed up).

Like I said this was a great place for a teen growing up in Syosset back in the 80’s. Your ‘rents would drop you off at the movie theater and you could pop into McDonald’s right next door for a pre- or post-movie meal. If you’re feeling really adventurous, you could walk down to the diner or Carvel.

AndrewLerner
AndrewLerner on August 22, 2005 at 10:40 am

I finally took the Syosset Theater photograph I took in the 1970ies out of my long lost photo album to scan it, and am now having problems with my scanner!

az50plus
az50plus on August 7, 2005 at 12:56 pm

Growing up in Syosset I remember going to a movie was an event. I remember seeing such classics as The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins & Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad…World. I can even remember going to the theater to celebrate mass because of reconstruction or something going on at St. Edwards. My most memorable event was sneaking off to see Woodstock & having the manager throw everybody out before the show started due to his impatience with certain people smoking pot in the theater. I was mad because I didnt get to see the movie that day and I lost my dollar!

BobT
BobT on August 2, 2005 at 10:09 am

Hey nhp bob, you sure the school trip to “Godspell” was for the UA Syosset and not the UA Cinema 150 down the street? The last feature to play The Syosset before it was mutilated was actualy the prestigious booking of Lou Ferrigno in “Hercules”. “Superman III” opened on June 16, 1983 and Herc followed it on August 26th for a week. The Syosset was a great place to see a big show. It was not as ornate as say The Bayshore but it’s 70MM was first rate. The Syosset had “The Towering Inferno” while The 150 had “Earthquake”. Opening night of ‘Alien" was an event, waiting for the sold out crowd to exit, outside online on a warm night, not knowing what to expect. Why was waiting outside on line for theatres like The 150, The Syosset, The Bayshore or The Hicksville North/South no big deal? Some of Syosset’s big exclusive engagements included, “All The Presidents Men”, “The World According To Garp”, “The Way We Were”, “A Star Is Born” and “For Pete’s Sake”. Streisand did very in Syosset.

RobertR
RobertR on July 13, 2005 at 7:14 pm

Here is an ad to order tickets for the roadshow of “This is Cinerama"

RobertR
RobertR on June 10, 2005 at 1:29 pm

I forgot to add Cinerama started here June 26, 1959.

RobertR
RobertR on June 10, 2005 at 1:27 pm

The Sunday before “This is Cinerama” opened at the Syosset, there was a ½ page ad in the NY Times with an order form to order advance seats. Adult prices varied between $1.35 and $2.80 and children were .90 at all times.

RobertR
RobertR on February 18, 2005 at 4:58 pm

I loved this theatre and the D-150. They will never be able to be replaced.

charlesanne
charlesanne on February 18, 2005 at 3:03 pm

The Cinerama Flims were shown in this order, This is Cinerama, Seven Wonders of the World, then in March1960, Can Can in Todd-ao, it was Shown on the Cinerama Screen that was a real hoot. Then Cinerama Holiday, Windjammer, and South Seas Adventure, the Cinerama Screen was removed in August 1961. And was reinstalled in 1963, for the Wanderful World of the Brothers Gimm, and How the West was Won.

deleted user
[Deleted] on January 12, 2005 at 11:18 am

The Syosset Theatre was located at 565 Jericho Tpke. Seating was 1450 as stated previously.

charlesanne
charlesanne on January 12, 2005 at 10:39 am

Yes, it did close for Three weeks in 1959, to install Cinerama. And Reopened on June 24th, This is Cinerama. And the Ad’s said, “Cinerama Comes To Oyster Bay, Home of Cinerama”! Those were the good ole days.

deleted user
[Deleted] on January 2, 2005 at 12:11 pm

I read that the Syosset Theatre closed for a brief time in 1959. Was this closing due to equipment upgrade to 70mm or was there another purpose for the closing?

RobertR
RobertR on December 23, 2004 at 1:34 pm

This site has pictures of the program from when Windjammer played here in Cinemiracle. Also tickets from West Side Story playing here roadshow.

DonRosen
DonRosen on December 15, 2004 at 8:15 am

I saw the Windjammer in either Cinemiracle or Cinerama here. I remember seeing Mutiny on the Bounty (1963), A Star is Born (1976), and Fiddler on the Roof (1972) here, as well. La Dolce Vita had a long run here in the early 60s.

RobertR
RobertR on October 23, 2004 at 1:09 pm

The confussion started when they closed the older Syosset triplex. Up until then the other theatre was know as Cinema 150. When Cinema 150 was remodeled the older theatre had closed so UA renamed it The Syosset.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on October 13, 2004 at 11:55 pm

This theater was known as the UA Syosset/

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on October 13, 2004 at 11:50 pm

That is an awesome site and it lists Syosset/Syosset Triplex/The Syosset and the theatre down the road Cinema 150/The Syosset. Some confussion when The Syosset gets listed twice. As best as I can tell this theatre opened in 1956 and started out as a 70mm Todd-AO Theatre showing roadshows. It went to 3 strip CINERAMA from 6/25/59-5/26/64. I have seen photos of the Able and Charly booths sticking out of the sides of the building. It played CINERAMA type travelogue programs until August 1961. When no CINERAMA product was available other films would be shown. It had a 146 degree louvered screen with a 30 foot radius that was placed in front of the Todd-AO screen. It went to 70mm CINERAMA on 5/27/64. The style of this theatre should not be listed as unknown, but should be CINERAMA.

moviebluedog
moviebluedog on October 11, 2004 at 1:27 am

Dear Cinema Treasures Readers,

After years of research, Michael Coate and I are proud to announce that “70mm In NY” has been posted on our site, www.fromscripttodvd.com

To navigate directly to this part of the site, copy and paste the following into your browser:

We’ve included a number of interesting features about “70mm In NY,” including an introductory article about the history of 70mm In NY; a theatre list of 70mm equipped houses; a list of the longest running 70mm engagements in NY, and much, much more.

We feel the most exciting part of the site is the list of 70mm engagements. You can click on any year from 1955 through 2004 and find out information on which films played in the NYC-region in 70mm.

As we’ve seen on this wonderful site, there are quite a few 70mm fans from the New York/New Jersey region, and we hope that you will enjoy this look back on 70mm presentation in your area.

There are some sections of “70mm In NY” that are coming soon, so we please check back.

We encourage your feedback.

Best regards,