25th Street Theatre

6 JVC TM-9U color video monitors
1 Kinyo UV 512 cassette rewinder
1 JVC RM-86u Editing control unit
1 Optimus Sta 300 digital received
3 Sony Umatic BVU-920 SP video cassette players
2 Panasonic Video Camcorders

That is all I have listed for what was in 25th Street and Arcadia. Info copied out of DJ Times Sept 1995 issue pg. 57

mebryan

1 Rane MP24 DJ Mixer
1 Rane ME 15 micrographic EG
1 Biamp TC 60 pro amp
1 Technics 1700 reel to reel
4 Cerwin Vega V35D Speakers
8 Cerwin Vega L36P Speakers
1 Innova 7 Watt Argon Coherent (Laser Systems Limited Projector)
1 Laser System Maestro-S8000B Laser Controler
1 32’ Video Screen
1 Pulsar 24 Chanel Touch Panel

More to come

mebryan
mebryan on October 7, 2004 at 4:05 am

Jake this is Matt Bryan from Whitney. Give me a call if you can. 314-803-0357 cell. I live in St. Louis now, but I can try to help. OK x-cellent!

Matt

NickShoop
NickShoop on September 8, 2004 at 5:59 pm

Wow, just found the website and glad to see that something is at least being considered if not done to bring back this wonderful place that I “think” I remember spending a lot of time at! 25th Street Theatre was a place my folks saw movies on the screen when they were at BU and that I saw movies in my head when I was there. It is a huge part of my (de)formative years. Hi Rob Bob and all…waller on the couch!

Nick Shoop
Dallas, TX

glyda
glyda on August 30, 2004 at 12:36 pm

Our family lived in Waco from Fall, 1951 to Fall, 1954. My brother and I used to go to the Saturday afternoon matinees at the 25th St.
I remember seeing “Hondo” and “Charge at Feather River” in 3-D there.
I also saw my first CinemaScope film at the 25th St.—“River of No Return”. Other films I remember seeing there from 1951-1954 were: “Arrowhead”, “Duel in the Sun” (re-release), “Abbott & Costello Go to Mars” (single feature), “The Caddy”, “My Paul Gus”, “Shane”, “Take the High Ground”, “Pony Express”, Walt Disney’s “The Living Desert”, “The Vanishing Prairie”, “Rob Roy” and “Peter Pan”, “Hell and High Water” and “Dangerous When Wet”.

Gerald Lyda
San Antonio, TX

rej25th
rej25th on August 27, 2004 at 2:28 pm

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy” – Martin Luther King Jr.

rej25th
rej25th on August 22, 2004 at 1:29 am

jake,

surprised to read your comment on cinema treasures and see your new phone number. the last time we spoke, you had no way to contact the “outside world”. you said you would contact me as soon as you could. no big deal.

as far as my comments about richard’s father’s involvement in the restoration efforts of 25th: i do not know if you are aware of all the details regarding little richard’s relationship with his father and brother? i can tell you one thing, little richard would never go to them for this. now if the only thing richard’s father is involved in is handing the keys over free and clear to an organization to restore 25th – that is okay. but if he will benefit in any way from any transaction, that is not okay. if richard’s father or brother benefits in any way, it will be blasphemy in the face of little richard and will not honor him in any way.

the last time we spoke, you were very cryptic about 25th being saved and little richard’s father’s involvement. over the course of the last couple of months (or whenever it was the last time we spoke), i thought long and hard about richard’s father being somehow involved with saving 25th.

i stand by what i typed on cinema treasures and big richard is in agreement with me.

as i mentioned above, if his only involvement is his handing over the keys and deed to the city of waco or to the “save the 25th organization”, i am in full support. however, if he or his brother will benefit financially or otherwise from this transaction, i will be in full disagreement because little richard’s memory will be smeared by that action.

to change the subject, i hope you are doing well. i have not heard from you in awhile. i got a message on my cell phone with an old 25th street radio ad – was that you? you did not leave a voice message and did not leave any phone number to call you back.

with regards and best wishes,

robert bob

iluvme72
iluvme72 on August 21, 2004 at 10:16 pm

Jake—I went to Connally, graduated in 1990. Let me know if it was school or just around!

JV2k4
JV2k4 on August 21, 2004 at 9:35 pm

Hey everyone …..Sorry its been awhile.
Things are moving along slowly with the theatre but like the old saying goes ROME WASNT BUILT IN A DAY…..so be patient…
Kenna give me a call…254-723-2227.
Robert Bob…..Mr. Olsens only involvement is letting us take over and get something done, which is more than anyone else has tried to do.
Melanie Kirby…..Didnt we go to school together?

KennaD
KennaD on August 20, 2004 at 9:54 pm

Bob
I have to respect and trust that what you and another person I have spoken to know more about this than most. I trust your opinion is backed with objective, sound evidence that involving his father would not be the way Richard would choose to do this. Unfortunately, I don’t think anyone directly involved with this rather covert “revitalization” of the 25th Street Theatre is interested in assistance from any of us. As in most situations involving people like Richard’s father, money talks, I bet he has his price and it’s probably disgustingly cheap.

rej25th
rej25th on August 20, 2004 at 9:11 pm

AGAIN, I APPEAL TO ALL OF YOU, PLEASE HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH SAVING 25TH IF IT MEANS THAT RICHARD OLSEN’S FATHER IS INVOLVED WITH THE EFFORT. see my message above for further details.

KennaD
KennaD on August 20, 2004 at 4:40 pm

Many people have offered their support, we’re just waiting to be called to action. Obviously, this place is near and dear to many people for many reasons. The potential is overwhelming, as well as the undertaking. It is so exciting to hear and see the list of concerned 25 veterans grow. What’s next? big hugs to all..

Kenna

rej25th
rej25th on August 20, 2004 at 2:36 pm

“that which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. not that the nature of the thing itself has changed, but our power to do it has increased” – emerson

iluvme72
iluvme72 on August 19, 2004 at 11:10 pm

This is good to know. I definitely would not want to hurt someones' memory. 25th is definitley about the good memories and pictures. I would love to share good times with anyone. The 80’s were the best especially when 25th was open. me and my sister used to sneak to Waco to go and there were many times that my dad would come looking for us in an old cowboy hat, some ruff clothes and old lawn mowing cowboy boots. How can anyone forget that? Anyway, I’m sure that many of us know each other by face, but that was quite a while back. Maybe someone can put together a 25th club kid reunion. LOL!

rej25th
rej25th on August 19, 2004 at 10:58 pm

hello all you x-heads,

this is robert-bob. i am sure that any of you out there in the ether net who partied at 25th will certainly remember me. i have often wondered over the years if anybody used to sit back and think of 25th and me like i have thought about all of you. there are just a few of “us” who are personally connected to 25th and richard olsen, such a myself, big richard, jake vanek, chris pinero, christopher carrow, keith lindemann, michael sullivan, thurman jackson. i knew little richard for over ten years and indeed, part of my soul is missing since he was murdered. with that said, there is nothing that should stand in the way of this grand ol' lady from being demolished if the only way to save it is through little richard’s father. little richard would never want us to save this building if it meant that we had to go to his father. it is an abomination that richard’s father is somehow involved in the effort to save 25th from being demolished. i tell you right here, right now that little richard himself would push the button to dynamite the building before he would have his father involved. this is just the plain truth. it is hard to hear. but if little richard’s father is involved in the effort to save 25th, we must all abandon efforts to save it. it IS what little richard would want us all to do. we all have our memories and they will last our lifetimes. i appeal to all of you, please have nothing to do with saving 25th if it means that little richard’s father is involved with the effort. thank you – thank you very much.

iluvme72
iluvme72 on August 19, 2004 at 9:49 pm

Oh My gosh! I stumbled upon this website and I am so happy that others feel the same way as me about 25th St. I cried when I heard they were going to tear it down. I miss everything about 25th St. the club in general, the music, the friends and the excitement. Anyway, I would love to see the old videos and see old pictures. I am going to try to look for my old pictures. I am ready to help in whatever way to save this place. Trina and Kelly, Hello! Anyone else who remembers me, please get in touch!

smoothjazz61
smoothjazz61 on August 12, 2004 at 5:10 pm

As a resident of this neighborhood, married to a native of this neighborhood who has fond memories of movies at the 25th, I would love to see this theater revived. From a purely commercial standpoint as a small business owner, I think it would help revitalize the neighborhood commercially. Look at the downtown area.

chrispy
chrispy on July 12, 2004 at 4:52 pm

KennaD,

You won’t remember me by name, but YOU, my dear, are unforgettable. It’s so nice to read your kind words. You obviously understand what the 25th Street Theater represented on a more sublime level – not just a nightclub, but a place for misfits like us to find companionship and acceptance. Such was Little Richard’s heart – larger than life, always wanting to help others. Big Richard was the silent partner in that outward expression of compassion. Jake, Rob-Bob and I have been exchanging numerous messages these last few weeks. It has been a sort of therapy, exorcising all the old ghosts. All of us took Richard’s murder very personally. We never had the chance to thank him for everything he did for us. This forum is such a blessing for all of us. It is so good to hear from any and all the regulars (and irregulars!) from that period. Please send me an e-mail message to the following address: I have a link to some of Richard’s favorite music I’d like to share with you.

Chris P

KennaD
KennaD on July 12, 2004 at 4:34 pm

Richard-

I wanted to add to my earlier comment a little “thank you” for letting me come in every Friday and Saturday night. You didn’t have to but I think you kind of understood that most of us who came to your doors seeking shelter from an otherwise boring an lothsome teenage experience, you let us in. We or at least my friends and I respected that and never did anything illegal within a few blocks of the club. Anyway, without getting all hokey on ya, literally, I would not be here today if that club had not been available to me as a teen and young adult. Many Thanks!!

Kenna

KennaD
KennaD on July 12, 2004 at 4:11 pm

It’s so comforting to know that some of the beautiful people who used to frequent the club are still that way, beautiful, kind and interested in reviving/saving this local treasure. As one of the “under-age regulars”, I’m in my 30’s now, I was there even on the nights when the place was virtually empty, you see, being a mature, rather strange 15 year old, I had no where else to go. I found many friends there and I was accepted, this place was a constant for me for many years. It is very dear to me and I’m very interested in doing what ever I can to help. Jake, I’ve emailed you. BTW, Has anyone contacted KXXV about possibly getting the tapes from that 25th Dimension Show? It used to come on Sunday nights, remember, most of the footage was taken when the house was packed wall to wall, might be worth looking into.

rickeiff
rickeiff on June 25, 2004 at 9:21 pm

Jake: I e-mailed you.

Richard

JV2k4
JV2k4 on June 25, 2004 at 7:47 pm

Oh My God!!! Big Richard how in the hell are you doing? I hope all is well with you. All is good with me.
I have returned to Waco and found out the status of the 25th, and with luck have met Mr. Olsen and another man who is trying to get things done. So far the progress is going good, but tons more needs to be done. Please email me at

rickeiff
rickeiff on June 25, 2004 at 12:35 am

Richard would be happy to know that he had so many friends who love him and cherish his memory.

Richard Keiffer, (Big Richard)

JV2k4
JV2k4 on June 23, 2004 at 2:57 am

Yes the sketch was still in that room against the wall, but it has been moved to a dryer spot on the stage, surprisingly its the driest area of the theatre….the rest of the upstairs is a complete mess. Lots of water damage from the roof leaking over the years. The brunt of the water damage is in the auditorium. The mural is pretty much gone. As is the plaster which has collapsed all the way down to the brick. Several spots on the ceiling the plaster has fallen. But the roof is still in one piece, and is in no danger of going anywhere as is the rest of the structure. As I mentioned on April 30, 2004: there is something in the works and I am proud to be apart of it, but am limited on what I can let “leak” out.

rej25th
rej25th on June 23, 2004 at 2:28 am

hey chris, the sketch of the mural was traced by consuelo and another woman. the plastic sheets were rolled up and put in the marque letter/number room upstairs next to the projection room. after richard’s murder, andy and big richard came to 25th to clear out all the video editting equipment to bring it up to arcadia in dallas. the last i knew, the mural tracings were still in that room along with some old records, etc.