Los Angeles Theatre

615 S. Broadway,
Los Angeles, CA 90014

stevebob
stevebob on February 27, 2008 at 7:33 am

The mysterious metal cylinders were located in the “hall of urinals,” too:

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on February 26, 2008 at 10:48 pm

In regard to the cylindrical objects in the mens room, I don’t recall them being there in the 1960s. I suppose they might have been spittoons, or maybe places to discard cigar or cigarette butts (I believe such devices were called silent butlers), but their tops were pretty close to the floor for either of those functions. It’s an interesting mystery.

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on February 26, 2008 at 7:36 pm

Could thay be some kind of ashtray?

That is what thay look like to me.

stevebob
stevebob on February 26, 2008 at 11:26 am

This photo (from the California State Library collection) is of the men’s lavatory:

Does anybody know what those cylindrical objects are on the floor along the wall? Spittoons, perhaps?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 26, 2008 at 10:49 am

It says I have to log in to see the page.

Edward Havens
Edward Havens on February 26, 2008 at 10:43 am

I’ve finally posted some of the photos I took during last summer’s Los Angeles Conservancy sponsored screening of “Roman Holiday” at the Los Angeles Theatre.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on February 21, 2008 at 9:22 pm

I have a vague memory of having read in a magazine or newspaper article forty or so years ago that the two extra aisles in the Los Angeles Theatre were converted for seating during the boom years of WWII, when many downtown theatres remained open 24 hours and still had full houses for may performances. I know that some movie theatres had their orchestra pits covered over to provide more room for seats during that time.

This photo shows that the aisles were about wide enough for two additional seats per row. I would suspect that, to minimize the cost of the change, the existing seats would have been left in place and the new seats would have simply been bolted into the rows (probably after the removal of the decorative end-pieces on the seats adjacent to the aisles), adding only one additional armrest between them, but I don’t know for sure. Of the 150 or so images of the theatre in the 9 folders in the state library collection (search “Los Angeles Theatre”), all are from the period before the change.

As for the prism device in the basement lounge, I know it wasn’t working in the early 1960s, when I went to the theatre frequently. The restaurant was gone by that time, too, but I remember the aisle-side lighting strips still glowing. They were blue.

stevebob
stevebob on February 21, 2008 at 10:13 am

Does the Los Angeles presently have 2,200 seats, or was that the number with which it opened?

My question relates to the original seating plan, in which individual blocks of seats were no more than five or six across. There were more aisles then! (I haven’t been inside since the early 1980s, but even at that time one could see where these original aisle doors had been sealed off from the lobby.)

Does anyone know when these “extra” aisles were filled in, and how the overall seating capacity was affected by that change? Were new seats merely added in the former aisle spaces, or were entire rows replaced?

I’ve always wondered about this — and some other chronological details concerning the Los Angeles, too, such as when the downstairs restaurant closed, when the prism device for displaying the movie in the downstairs lounge was removed, and when the neon strips in the aisle floors that once guided patrons to their seats stopped functioning.

CHICTH74
CHICTH74 on February 21, 2008 at 9:07 am

All i have to say is GREAT!!!

It is a wonderful theatre it is hard to grasp that it has only 2200 seats it looks like a 4000 or more seat palace.
Great just great.!!!

William
William on February 14, 2008 at 2:36 pm

You can see the downstairs lounge with all that wood paneling in the current Kia commercial for President’s Day (Millard Fillmore). It is currently running in the New York market.

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on January 30, 2008 at 11:40 am

I read the article in the LA Times and I think its a step in the right direction. I wouldn’t close the street to cars it would do more harm than good this is not Santa Momica. I like the idea of a street car going up an down Broadway. I do not agree with the professor from UCLA, the street has declined as a destination for Latinos from the 1970’s thru 2008. There is more competition for Latino shoppers in other areas. The population growth of 20,000 in the last 5 years are urban professionals which will double in the next few years which should spur restoration and development along Broadway. If the city was smart Broadway should start catering to Downtown’s growing population as a diverse destination and not just the shrinking shopping destination for Latinos. Downtown LA is coming back in a major way and Broadway should not be left behind.I think the City should concentrate along with the private sector and improve the curb appeal of the street. I think the City should have a plan that improved proper signage along Broadway and steer away form the swapmeet look of Broadway. Make sure you save all the historic signage along Broadway as well as the historic theatre marquees.brucec

KramSacul
KramSacul on January 28, 2008 at 5:42 pm

Sounds pretty good. Anything to make that area live again.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 28, 2008 at 4:10 pm

There was a story in the LA Times today about an ambitious plan tp renovate the Broadway district, including the remaining film houses. This isn’t the first time we’ve heard this, of course, so we will see what happens.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on January 18, 2008 at 5:59 pm

The city that never sleeps (well, not exactly):

vokoban
vokoban on January 18, 2008 at 8:05 am

It’s always half-past something at the Los Angeles.

Bway
Bway on January 2, 2008 at 10:38 am

Wow, this theater is a real gem! I remember passing by it last time I was in the Los Angeles area.

vokoban
vokoban on November 29, 2007 at 9:41 am

I already have my tickets in my sweaty little monkey paws. The only thing that bugs me is that this was originally supposed to be at the Palace. I guess there was a problem so now its at the Los Angeles. I wanted to see if they have done anything to the inside of the Palace since the outside looks fabulous now after a cleaning.

cinemala
cinemala on November 29, 2007 at 9:37 am

There will be a special screening of MGM’s “Meet Me in St. Louis” at the Los Angeles Theater on Sunday, December 2nd at 2pm. The event is being sponsored by the Los Angeles Conservancy and tickets are only $10. It’s also a freshly struck archival print of the 1944 film!

vokoban
vokoban on November 29, 2007 at 9:32 am

Wow…just testing to see if Ian is ‘bothered’ by this message. I love the photo posted by ken mc from Aug. 19 that shows the north wing of the retail space on the building. Someone over the years either removed or covered all detail so it is basically a box now. You can see how it looked in that photo. I’m glad the south wing has remained untouched.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on November 12, 2007 at 7:26 am

Ive never taken that option on this theatre as i have on so many others. Its very annoying. maybe if i take the option then i wont get bothered.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 12, 2007 at 7:23 am

I’m not Board, but when I receive messages they all have at their end, an option to opt out for that theater. That option always works for me.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on November 12, 2007 at 7:21 am

COULD THE BOARD PLEASE ENSURE THAT I DONT GET NOTICES FROM THIS THEATRE LISTING!!!
IT ISNT ON MY ‘REPLY WHEN MESSAGE POSTED’ or ‘MY FAVOURITES’ LIST AND IT COMES UP ALL THE TIME AND IS VERY ANNOYING!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 12, 2007 at 7:07 am

This 1/24/31 ad in the LA Times preceded the formal opening of the theater:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 28, 2007 at 4:32 pm

The Unique would have been a few doors south. If they were projecting something on the Unique-O-Scope, would that qualify it as a theater? The ad is from 1906: