Radio City Music Hall

1260 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 101 - 125 of 2,970 comments

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on November 13, 2013 at 9:07 am

There was a problem with e-mail notifications for a couple of weeks, which has now been fixed.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 12, 2013 at 5:35 am

I’m not getting the emails either. I just dropped by to post a picture and saw all the responses….

The interior “proscenium” was put in 3 years ago for the content from the digital projectors. We had to re-lens the film projectors because it shrunk the image size (yes, the picture was even bigger than it is now). The video walls are what they are. They look like crap close up but it’s good enough I guess. I’m very surprised about the theater not being cleaned well from the show before. They usually are very good about that.

HenryABax
HenryABax on November 11, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I went to see the Christmas Show on Friday November 8. The good things first: 1) the show is impeccably done and is up to the usual standards, 2) the organ was used before the show and during it, 3) the new number “Snow” was quite nice, 4) the hideous speakers have been removed. Overall it was an excellent experience.

Now the bad things: 1) the theater had not been cleaned since the earlier show. There was popcorn everywhere. I complained. 2) there were hawkers selling stuffed animals and urging that customers get their photos taken with a Rockette—very tacky, 3) the organists play exactly the same thing every year. They should listen to Leibert’s Christmas albums, 4) there is an “interior” proscenium fit into the larger one that diminishes the size of the opening, 5) the video game number is horrible. Let us hope that it disappears soon.

In spite of the things I didn’t like, I’m deeply grateful that the theater still exists and is in excellent condition. It really is beautiful. I’m also grateful that the organ has not been trashed and that it is still used.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 11, 2013 at 10:10 am

Why am I not getting comments via e-mail

markp
markp on November 8, 2013 at 5:50 am

Hello rcdt55b and vito, and others. Saw the Christmas show last night. As you all know my wife is a wardrobe dresser there. A few things. One, I came in a few minutes late and missed the trailer for the spring show. Came in on the dancing bears. My seats were 2 rows from the stage. I am assuming the scene with the bus and the video of NYC in the background was on a video wall correct? You could clearly see the seams between each panel. This bugged me because I set these up at the arena in Newark NJ and we are always careful not to let this happen. I also still cannot stand the video game part of the show. Has nothing to do with Christmas. The snowballs were cool, but I can see where if one fell to the audience, someone would be seriously hurt. Finally, the Nativity was spot on perfect as it should be.

Vito
Vito on November 5, 2013 at 9:13 am

No it doesn’t rcdt, guess we will have to see how it looks to form an opinion. I knew the use of film was to good to be true….oh well.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 5, 2013 at 8:04 am

No premieres in the near future. Vito, they may be bringing in more digital projectors for the spring show. It looks like they will not be using film now for the spring show. This is what we heard yesterday from someone. Info does not travel well to us hear so that may still change. The trailer for the spring show is 90 seconds and being shown on the 3D wall. It looks amazing on the wall…….if you like the look of content on a cinderblock wall with cold colors……..makes no sense at all.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 5, 2013 at 4:00 am

Any more movie premieres soon?

Vito
Vito on November 5, 2013 at 1:20 am

rcdt Please tell us more about the trailer is it on film? and is that why you wrote a while back that more projectors would be used this year? Thanks

DavidM
DavidM on November 4, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I’m going to be there this Friday morning for the first performance.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 4, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Didn’t see any during spring show rehearsals. “Snow” was only thing added for Christmas Show.

DavidM
DavidM on November 4, 2013 at 12:24 pm

rcdt, I meant for “Hearts and Lights”. And have they added a number to replace “Let Christmas Shine”?

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 4, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Other than “snow”, which has a kick line, same show as last year

DavidM
DavidM on November 4, 2013 at 12:09 pm

rcdt, from what I’ve read thus far, it appears Haberman and Co. are not putting in any “kick” numbers for the 36. Is this true?

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 4, 2013 at 11:55 am

That was a great response David. Also, this just in……..we will be running a “trailer” at the beginning of every show for the spring show……

DavidM
DavidM on November 2, 2013 at 11:51 am

rcdt55b, I agree with your assessment about “Snow”. It may be impossible to liven that number, short of having the skaters get married in Central Park. It could be made timelier if it was a same-sex marriage. That said, I have a go-to mantra during the slow sections of the show. I meditate, breathe and keep repeating, “The Hall could have been a parking lot.” I can’t wait to see the spring show.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 2, 2013 at 10:49 am

“Snow” is putting me to sleep. Some spring show testing going on as well.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 23, 2013 at 12:36 pm

rcmh was the subject of a jeopardy answer last night in a category devoted to abbreviations.

Vito
Vito on October 23, 2013 at 9:05 am

Mark and redt55b thanks for that update sure glad to hear 70mm film is staying for the 3D.

DavidM
DavidM on October 23, 2013 at 7:38 am

I’m glad “Let Christmas Shine” is out. I kind of felt sorry for the six, count ‘em, six singers on the Choral Staircases. They looked so lonely. I hope its replaced with a good, old-fashioned Rockette tap number. And who is going to make the sophomoric joke about Radio City having “balls”? Oh, that would be me.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 23, 2013 at 7:08 am

The “shine” number is gone. Snow scene was added. There will be large snowflake “balls” flying around the house…(this is a lawsuit waiting to happen)…..Some new content added to the digital projectors. 3D film staying the same and on film (as it should be).

markp
markp on October 22, 2013 at 8:49 am

Vito, my wife is going to a meeting tom'w for all the wardrobe dresses. She heard thru the grapevine there might be some new numbers, but I don’t know if this will affect the booth.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 21, 2013 at 12:42 pm

And all those people in the 1940’s going into the theater in the middle of the show, and staying until they got to the part where they would say “this is where we came in…!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on October 21, 2013 at 12:13 pm

The only lines i can recall that are the longest are those for the xmas spectacular, the easter show, and celebrity jeopardy. Even sold out concerts by big name artists can have long lines as well as the annual nfl draft.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on October 21, 2013 at 11:57 am

I remember, when I was a kid, those lines used to zig-zag along a cordoned off path in the plaza between 51st and 50th Street, like the queue for a popular theme park ride. I’m pretty sure it fed from the plaza directly onto 50th Street and then up to the main box office. I suppose that helped contain the line as much as possible from having to use precious cross street sidewalk space. Of course, the crowds were no where near as large in the ‘70’s as they probably were during the Hall’s height as a cinema.