Palace Theatre

1564 Broadway,
New York, NY 10036

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 30, 2008 at 8:49 am

Not Life, Warren, that was me. There was no identification on the photo.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 29, 2008 at 6:59 am

It took me a long time to spot the Palace (on the far left) because I never saw a parade march UP Broadway and my bearings were off; I guess when it was a still a two-way street, why not!

LuisV
LuisV on November 29, 2008 at 6:16 am

Thanks Ken mc for the photo. I never realized that the old Howard Johnsons was once a Childs!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 27, 2008 at 11:43 am

The Palace marquee is on the left in this 1948 photo from Life Magazine:

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on November 23, 2008 at 7:14 pm

Advanced search feature doesn’t seem to be working; what is/was the Fulton Theater?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 19, 2008 at 1:41 pm

The RKO Palace can been seen in this 1951 photo from Life magazine. This is a new collection of photos that has been added to Google.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 23, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Liza’s at the Palace. December 3 thru 14th.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on October 16, 2008 at 11:40 pm

From next Feb, yes.

MPol
MPol on October 16, 2008 at 9:37 pm

Is this the same Palace Theatre that will be hosting the new Broadway stage revival of the musical “West Side Story”, btw? Just curious.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on September 4, 2008 at 11:04 am

That’s pure, vintage Bosley C. My guess at the bottom of the page is that the film opening at the RKO Albee that day was “Weekend in Havana,” with Alice Faye and … Carmen Miranda! It would have been a better choice for the Palace to have followed the paradigm of “Falcon” and Bomber" by booking that film instead.

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on September 4, 2008 at 8:54 am

“The Maltese Falcon” opened at the Strand on 3 Oct ‘41, with Jan Savitt and His Tophatters, plus Hi Lo Jack and the Dame (Radio’s Most Unusual Rhythm Makers) on stage. WB’s premier venue, the Hollywood, was showing “Sargeant York” on a long hold-over run.

The Palace in those days ran a double-feature bill that cherry-picked the two main-feature films current on the RKO nabe circuit—in this case, “Dive Bomber” (with Errol Flynn), the feature attraction at the RKO Manhattan theaters, plus “Sun Valley Seranade” (with Sonja Henie!), the feature attraction at the RKO Albee, slated to follow “Dive Bomber” onto the Manhattan screens.

Nostalgic footnote: The World Series was evidently in progress, and the RKO advertisements boasted: “World Series Returns Announced.” I had almost forgotten that at that time of year in those pre-instant-newsflash days, the projectionist periodically muted the film’s sound track to announce the Series (and Pennant) scores at the end of each inning. Though barely more than a toddler, I hated that desecration of the movies and consequently developed a life-long indifference to America’s Favorite Passtime: who, in any case, should ever have so much time to squander on a leather ball?

edblank
edblank on September 3, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Robert, When exactly was that? Was it a moveover engagement of “Maltese Falcon”?

RobertR
RobertR on September 3, 2008 at 3:06 pm

The 3 Stooges sharing a bill with Bogie

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on June 13, 2008 at 7:50 pm

Does anyone have the stage dimensions of this theatre?
Thanks.

edblank
edblank on May 24, 2008 at 9:04 pm

One final, memorable Palace experience:
I was scheduled to attend a Wednesday matinee of “Woman of the Year” for review purposes and to interview Lauren Bacall’s co-star, the very affable Harry Guardino, immediately after the matinee. This would be time taken out of his dinner break before the evening performance.
After the matinee, I made my way to the stage door, but the press agent intercepted me with the news that Rock Hudson (Bacall’s co-star in “Written on the Wind”) and film producer Ross Hunter had attended that matinee, too, and had come backstage to pay courtesy calls on Bacall (first) and then Guardino.
I cooled my heels backstage, dressed in a suit and tie and holding my pocket-size tape recorder, waiting for the “all clear” sign.
I had hoped to see Hudson and Hunter leaving, but from the area backstage where I was sequestered, I did not.
Eventually the press agent reappeared and told me to take the backstage phone-booth-size elevator up to Guardino’s dressing room, which was on the third or fourth floor.
I hadn’t really minded the delay. The news about Hudson and Hunter being there was a little extra column fodder for me.
So I entered to the mini-elevator and pressed the appropriate button, and at the last minute a woman appeared unexpectedly, entered the elevator with me and, without a word, pressed another button.
There we were, chest to chest, and in a flash I realized it was Bacall. I spontaneously and cheerfully said, “Oh, hi.” She did not make eye contact, and she did not respond. Hey – her privilege. But how much effort does it take? Guardino, on the other hand, apologized for the delay and could not have been friendlier.
Both before and later, I heard Miss Bacall could be, well, unapproachable.
Sixteen years later, almost to the day, when she was a shoo-in to win the supporting actress Oscar for “The Mirror Has Two Faces,” and I don’t think there was an Oscar forecast anywhere that didn’t pick her, she lost the Oscar to an astonished Juliette Binoche (“The English Patient”).
I’ve always wondered if, over the years, enough non-celebrity members of the Motion Picture Academy had had cool close encounters with the actress and if experiences mirroring my awkward elevator ride in the Palace had possibly – just possibly – caught up to her and canceled out a sure Oscar win.
But that Palace memory trumps the many more pleasant ones. – Ed Blank

edblank
edblank on May 24, 2008 at 8:25 pm

I’ve covered many Broadway shows at the Palace since it went legit and once had a cordial dressing-room interview with George Hearn during the run of “La Cage aux Folles.”
Was there for a final preview of “Break a Leg,” which promptly folded opening night. I had taken an elderly friend named Tom Bate to the Saturday matinee of the comedy starring Julie Harris and directed by Charles Nelson Reilly.
After the show, Mr. Bate, who was 80-something, asked if I’d mind waiting while he made a quick trip downstairs to the men’s room. After an inordinately long wait, during which the theater had finished emptying and the staff was closing the theater until the evening performance, someone came up to the lobby and asked if I was Mr. Blank.
Mr. Bate, it turns out, has been pistol-whipped by someone who was hiding in one of the stalls after the performance. My friend bled profusely. While Mr. Bate and I waiting for an ambulance to take him to a nearby hospital, director Reilly stopped for a few minutes, and Julie Harris stayed with us until the ambulance arrived. Both were so kind to en elderly man who, though a member of the actors' union, they did not know. – Ed Blank

edblank
edblank on May 24, 2008 at 8:15 pm

The first movie and possibly the only movie I saw at the Palace was “Bedtime Story,” with Marlon Brando, Shirley Jones and David Niven, in late July 1964. I still think it’s a funnier movie than it was given credit for being. – Ed Blank

LuisV
LuisV on December 31, 2007 at 8:36 am

I have many memories of the Palace. I saw one of my first Broadway shows at The Palace; a performance of Man of La Mancha in the late 70’s with Richard Kiley. I remember that it was a Tuesday evening and I was in high school. I was wearing a tie and was horrified that virtually every other man was wearing a jacket and tie. I have never felt more undressed than that evening.

Years later in the mid 80’s I went to see La Cage Aux Folles and it was apparent that audinece dress codes were dropping. This time I was appropriately dressed in a jacket and tie. I remember seeing a couple walk in dressed in JEANS and t-shirts! I couldn’t believe it. The were sitting directly in front of me in the front mezzanine. Just before the end of the first act, as the show stopper “I Am What I Am” is being sung on stage, the woman throws up in her seat! My first thought was, “well I guess that’s why she wore jeans.” They managed to clear out of their seats just before the lights went up for intermission. The girl I was with said to me, “I hope they clean that up before they get back.” I said to her, “They’re not coming back! I wouldn’t come back to my seat if I just threw up into it!” Anyway, the theater staff was excellent and cleaned up the mess before the start of the second act.

No, the underdressed couple didn’t come back.

How times change! Nowadays, people wear jogging outfits and flip flops on planes and are just as bad at the theater. The only night of the week that you see people dress up somewhat is on Saturday nights. However, I did go to see the god awful “Lestat” at The Palace and remember that there was some guy wearing a Tank Top (no it wasn’t summer) and he was sitting in one of the boxes. No Class.
:–)

jeffdonaldson
jeffdonaldson on December 24, 2007 at 11:55 pm

Warren and saps, thank you for your help. I only recently arrived at this terrific site, so I have much to learn. I have been to NYC several times beginning in 2001. It just kills me that I wasn’t able to experience these theatres in their glory days. I know a number of the Los Angeles theatres but, pending the discovery of a time machine, I’ll have to rely on the experiences available here. And that’s pretty good. Thanks again.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on December 24, 2007 at 8:06 am

Also, you can use Advanced Search and look under the former names feature.

jeffdonaldson
jeffdonaldson on December 24, 2007 at 1:51 am

I cannot find a Cinema Treasures page for the Mayfair theatre next to The Palace theatre in Times Square. I searched Mayfair and RKO Mayfair but got nothing. They appeared to be right next to each other in the picture I saw. Were they connected somehow? It did seem to have a separate marquee so the Mayfair should have its own page. What am I doing wrong?

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on October 4, 2007 at 8:28 am

I love this theater.

Bway
Bway on March 27, 2007 at 2:01 am

Forget the last 15 years, while that is no doubt true, I can’t believe how much it’s evcen changed in the last 5 years! Everytime you go there, if you haven’t been there for a few months, it looks totally different.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on March 26, 2007 at 5:18 pm

Will Rogers Follies ran at the Palace from May of 1991 through September ‘93, if that helps date the top photo. I can’t recall when the building on the site of the old Castro showroom building went up – it is shown still under construction in your photo.