AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 1,226 - 1,250 of 1,509 comments

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on January 21, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I think with all the 3-D craze today, these theaters should have at least 4 auditoriums equiped for 3-D. Though I’d like to see them projected on a 50ft wide screen with 400-500+ seats, because they’re being installed in the smaller auditoriums at most places.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 21, 2009 at 12:02 pm

The biggest out of all these 3D films will be Monsters vs Aliens…one could play on a 3D screen and the other will play on a 2D screen. Theater #8 is a perfect choice to show 3D content…check this link out…

JJD
JJD on January 21, 2009 at 11:45 am

Thanks Jezebel for the update…finally, some encouraging news. We don’t really need full-blown IMAX. We do need 3D. You didn’t mention whether the digital system will be RealD, IMAX, or Dolby, but I suppose it doesn’t matter just as long as it can show any and all of the 3D releases scheduled this year and beyond. I read that “Beowulf” was the first movie to be shown in all three formats so it sounds like there shouldn’t be a compatibility issue. My only concern is “How will only one screen be able to handle overlapping releases? I think that’s what hurt "U23D” because “Hannah Montana” was held over. With the dozens of 3D films on the horizon, that might be a problem unless they stagger the showtimes each day until they can add another screen. Again, thanks.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on January 20, 2009 at 9:11 pm

DietMAX wasn’t gonna be nothing special anyway. Real IMAX are those with the 5-7 story tall screens.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on January 20, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Okay, Justin, you can chill now. No IMAX at the Rockaway. None. Zippo, zilch. DLP sounds good though. At least you’ll have ONE auditorium that will show a bright, scratch free, colorful presentation all the time, every time. Too bad its not THX certified. I guess you can’t get it all…. ;)

jezebel34
jezebel34 on January 20, 2009 at 8:29 pm

no insane traditional imax at our theater for a long time.

jezebel34
jezebel34 on January 20, 2009 at 8:22 pm

As an AMC employee I can tell you that we are getting new projection to go digital in house 8. It will enable us to have 3-d movies. We will not be remodeling. We’re were supposed to get the projection in time for my bloody valentine but the company did not return our calls. I promise you, we are working on it.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 17, 2009 at 11:27 am

At this website…
there’s no mention of AMC Rockaway. Is it delayed?

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 16, 2009 at 11:58 am

Check this link out….
search for “AMC theatres” in the page and you’ll read about a drug check at the theater; security is improving quite a bit at this theater.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 16, 2009 at 11:50 am

I checked the AMC website, and the weekend after MLK Day will be big. Not only is AMC bringing back The Dark Knight to a regular screen and an IMAX screen (buying a ticket will also get the moviegoer a $5 concession voucher), but the Oscar nominated films will be showing as part of AMC’s annual marathon day of movies called the Best Picture Showcase. I wouldn’t be suprised if Dark Knight is one of those films. As for going to see the Dark Knight (or Watchmen) in IMAX, I would go see an early morning show during the weekend so that it’s not sold out so that I can spend some money on snacks.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 13, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I was on the online ticketing site for this theater, and at the top of the showtimes, there’s a notice…“To find a film presented in 3D, look for the "Digital 3D” description. Some locations do not have Digital 3D available". So for its midnight showings on Thursday, My Bloody Valentine will not be in 3D, just plain old 2D, on the week before the IMAX theater opens.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 12, 2009 at 12:05 pm

My favorite place to sit when I go to this theater is sitting near the guardrail above the non-stadium seats, in the middle of the row, so that I’m close to the screen as possible. However, when I sit back up to the wall, the picture is easier to see. Will the new IMAX theater have the guardrail removed? I’ve been to a regular IMAX theater and they don’t have it, just all stadium seating from top to bottom right next to the immersive screen. Tickets for the IMAX will be $3 more than the regular price.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 9, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Several new movies open at this theater….none of which will do good. January is usually a month when the focus is on award movies. Unlike last year, when there were plenty of good Oscar worthy movies and the occasional blockbuster, there are few to choose from. The thing I’m excited about is the arrival of the IMAX theater in two weeks, unless the date is changed. The closest AMC Imax theaters near me is the one in Lincoln Square, which is true IMAX, and the one in Times Square, the Empire 25, which is digital IMAX, and the one in Palisades Center, which is true IMAX.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 5, 2009 at 6:20 pm

The conversion of the AMC here in Rockaway will be different, since it’s a theater outside a mall and requires time and patience. Maybe this weekend they’ll start doing it as January is a quiet month for good movies playing here although there are Oscar-worthy flicks coming out after limited release like Gran Torino and The Wrestler.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on January 5, 2009 at 5:35 pm

At AMC Neshaminy 24 with IMAX, the conversion was the same way as what was done at the two National Amusements locations, except we added two “mini hallways” at the end of the curved wall to wall, floor to ceiling screen, mainly because the outside walls of aMC Neshaminy 24 with IMAX were pre-fab, with one outside side wall forms a 90 degree angle with the outside wall of House #2, and the other outside side wall also supports the mall entrance.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 5, 2009 at 12:28 pm

I think so, John. While Digital IMAX is not as large as regular IMAX as some people say, the screen size will be larger and taller than a 2k/4k auditorium. Plus the sound will be louder, clearer, and livelier. This theater could lose another big movie if the new Watchmen movie doesn’t come out due to the battle between WB and Fox over who owns the rights. Then the next big movie could be Monsters vs Aliens, which has a 3d trailer coming out during the Super Bowl. After that, Star Trek, then Night at the Museum 2, and Transformers 2.

John Fink
John Fink on January 4, 2009 at 8:08 pm

I seriously doubt they’d combine three screens. The theater’s footprint – in which each side consists of 4 large theaters and 4, shorter smaller theaters would make this undertaking nearly impossible. It’s posable they’d combine 2 theaters but unlikely. Unlike MikeRA I haven’t seen an AMC IMAX conversion – the two National Amusements conversions I’ve seen involved the installation of a wall to wall, floor to ceiling screen, slightly tilted, bottom towards the audience to make it larger, and the removal of the first few rows of seats. Other modifications may include moving the emergency exists, and additional speakers.

The results were mixed at the two conversions I saw – City Center is credible, a large screen without being truly annoyingly overpowering, while Buckland Hills is far too small. What I haven’t seen any of lately is theaters opening with a big-screen IMAX that had been planned for in the design process. Is it cheapening the experience that IMAX has become an afterthought?

JJD
JJD on January 4, 2009 at 5:28 pm

I think you mean it would become the AMC Rockaway 14 (13 screens plus the IMAX which would consist of the remaining 3 screens).

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on January 4, 2009 at 5:04 pm

With three screens becoming one, the AMC Rockaway 16 would become the AMC Rockaway 13, which is one screen more than Parsippany but one screen less than Mansfield, both Clearviews if the IMAX is completed. If they do construction, does that mean part of the theater will be closed? I don’t know for sure; hopefully they get it in before the flood of new movies come out in the IMAX format.

JJD
JJD on January 4, 2009 at 7:47 am

Sorry for the continued rants on Rockaway’s IMAX. It comes from two sources, frustration and ignorance. We have a beautiful new 16-screen theater with stadium seating, great sound, and large slightly curved screens but no digital 3D presentation. Most of all, there seemed to be a lack of vision on the part of AMC to forsee and invest in the coming digital 3D revolution prior to construction. Personally, I could be satisfied with RealD on those screens but that doesn’t seem to be in the works. When I heard IMAX was coming, naturally I thought traditional IMAX, not IMAX-lite. Who would not get excited – hence, all the questions. I now defer to you guys, the experts. Thanks for providing some clarity. I’m still trying to visualize what the screen will look like if it is to fill the width of three auditoriums with no additional height. Anybody?

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on January 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm

In the Philadelphia/South Jersey area, the projectors are run by our projectionists, as well as our Operation Coorinators, and Projection Manager. And, no, I am not a projectionist, but I know a former booth manager who been running projection booths for AMC and, before that, for Sameric Theatres and Budco Theatres.

and we do get the tecknitions that come out from both IMAX (for our Digital IMAX Theatre) and Christie Digital (for our regular Digital projector, Slide projectors and in-lobby HDTV’s)

markp
markp on January 3, 2009 at 10:01 pm

Beg your pardon there MikeRa, I assume since you work for AMC you are a non-union projectionist, I mean operator, but when I ran 70mm IMAX my theatres had complete digital sound. But as JodarMovieFan pointed out, everyone has been warned. And yes I am a UNION projectionist who has almost 34 years in the business.

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on January 3, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Pretty soon, there will be more Digital IMAX Theatres than there are the 5 stories 70mm iMAX Theatres and the Omnimax 70mm IMAX. And the screens in the Digital IMAX Theatres are not the same size as the 1.85:1 “Flat” screens.

And, no, they will not raise the roof on the Rockaway 16 for the Digital IMAX. They did not raise the roof on the Digital iMAX Theatres at AMC Neshaminy 24 with IMAX, AMC Hamilton 24 with IMAX, AMC Cherry Hill 24 with IMAX, AMC White Marsh 16 with IMAX, AMC Century City 15 with IMAX, REG Sheepshead Bay Stadium 14 and IMAX, REG Aliante Stadium 16 & IMAX, or AMC Burbank 16 with IMAX, amung the new Digital IMAX Theatres at AMC and REG.

The Empire 25’s Digital IMAX theatre has a theatre above and below it. Also, the Digital IMAX uses two projectors, and the theatres have 1 other thing the 70mm IMAX do not have, and that is complete digital surround sound.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on January 3, 2009 at 5:03 pm

OMG, my virtual ears are ringing from these incessant posts about IMAX!! :)

I’ve had the privilege of experiencing many ‘IMAX’-lite presentations at the AMC installs in the DC area and let me tell you its nothing to write home about. For one things its not true IMAX with the multi story high screens. The immersion aspect of drawing you into the movie is barely there and if only you sit at the back row, of the first tier of seats.

You all rattle on like its the second coming or something, or as if motion pictures just discovered sound. Its not all that. And you’ll probably be disappointed. Don’t tell me I didn’t warn you… :)