AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 1,276 - 1,300 of 1,497 comments

moviebuff82 on November 14, 2008 at 4:49 pm

Hey PeterApruzzese, I saw a James Bond movie on the same showtime as the other one in your comment. Quantum of Solace, which is way shorter than Casino Royale. Lots of fast action, very little storyline. Sound was decent, although they needed to turn on the right channel for the music to be in stereo (surrounds and center channel were working and the bass too). Also, near the very end, the very bottom of the screen was a bit dark, making reading the numerous subtitles very hard although I wear glasses. Crowd was well behaved, and the food was good (I had a popcorn and diet coke which I shared with my Dad). No splices during the movie too!!!

moviebuff82 on November 9, 2008 at 12:19 pm

Just came back from a 12:55 showing of Zack and Miri…great movie. Projection was a bit blurry and there were some minor splices, and the sound mix was a bit buzzy, plus there were only like 10 or so people in one screen compared to Madagascar 2’s four screens with lots of kids and their families!!! BTW, I hope they show “The Dark Knight” in IMAX digital since it might be re-released by Warner that month for Oscar consideration.

moviebuff82 on November 9, 2008 at 8:55 am

I checked AMC’s website again and they now have a section devoted to IMAX. Upon checking the coming soon section, the rollout date for the new IMAX theater is now coming out on January 23 of next year, although there is an asterisk warning that the date might change based on economic conditions and the like. I’m going to the AMC today to see Zack and Miri, the first Kevin Smith movie to be shown at this theater and the first since Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back at the old AMC. As for the IMAX, I guess The Day the Earth Stood Still will be the first one since it’s the last of 2008’s films to be shown also in IMAX.

moviebuff82 on November 2, 2008 at 3:25 pm

I checked the AMC website and three new movies are available for advanced ticketing…all of which will not be shown in DLP. Madagascar 2 for the kiddies, Twilight for the teens, and the one I want to see, the new James Bond movie Quantum of Solace, which is the shortest Bond movie in terms of length and will be shown on multiple screens. This is the second Bond movie to play here, as Casino Royale was one of the first movies to be shown at this theater even though I saw it on DVD. It has done great business over in England and other European countries, so it should do well here in America.

moviebuff82 on October 24, 2008 at 4:26 pm

just came back from a showing of Max Payne in theater #13, and me and my dad are the only two people in the theater since most of the crowds went to see either HSM3 or SAW V. Only one splice during the film…but the sound was loud and clear and the presentation was perfect. The popcorn served at this theater is the same as Clearview, good old Orville Redenbacher. Don’t care for the new Queen concert playing next thursday since I liked the band when Freddie Mercury was the lead. Next movie I’m attending will be Zack and Miri with my cousin and her husband.

moviebuff82 on October 17, 2008 at 12:24 pm

for the second straight year, there will be no sawfest at this theater next week just in time for the second saw movie to play at this theater. Maybe next year if they ever make a saw vi.

moviebuff82 on October 13, 2008 at 10:58 am

my mistake..it will be a digital flat imax theater. transformers 2 is the first film that will be shown.

moviebuff82 on October 10, 2008 at 4:43 pm

Went to see a 4:25 p.m. showing of Body of Lies, the second movie from Ridley Scott to play at this theater. No splices during the feature and previews, although after the preshow ended the film screen was tiny and then the projectionist increased the screen. Crowd was well behaved, although the film was masked off by a bit when it began. Popcorn and soda were good, and pretty soon Coca Cola Zero will be offered as a fountain drink just in time for the new James Bond movie, as soda cups have “Coca Cola Zero Zero Seven”.

moviebuff82 on October 6, 2008 at 11:26 am

I changed my mind and now will try to go see Body of Lies at this theater or Mansfield. BTW, has the economic crisis affected the theater (excluding the mall)? Pretty soon just in time for the holidays prices will go up again; my dad always gets free AMC movie passes from the local dentist over in Denville, Dr. Genung., which I can use on any movie.

moviebuff82 on September 19, 2008 at 3:08 pm

I checked out the alternative content section on the AMC website, and Rent isn’t playing here, but good news….the Met series will be finally here for opera fans to enjoy, starting next Monday. The series will conclude next May of 2009. I’m planning on going to Rockaway next week to see Eagle Eye.

moviebuff82 on September 15, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Also before the movie began they showed a trailer that was made shortly after the parent company was accused of child labor violations (underage people), check this link out…
http://tinyurl.com/6aga52 And on Google Streets and Maps, you can see the theater from Route 80; just drag the guy onto the area near the tetris-like shape of the theater and you’ll see what i mean.

moviebuff82 on September 13, 2008 at 4:43 pm

Went to see a 3 p.m. showing of “Burn After Reading”, a great Coen Brothers movie, and the crowd behaved very well. Presentation was very good, with only a splice in the middle of the movie and some minor blotches toward the end. Sound was good and dialogue was clear and loud. Next movie I’m checking out is Eagle Eye, although it won’t be in IMAX at this theater since the next IMAX movie slated to open at the ROckaway will probably be the next Night at the Museum movie.

moviebuff82 on September 6, 2008 at 12:04 pm

aren’t they already investing in a current 70mm format? AMC is working hard with IMAX on converting one of their screens to a mini-IMAX screen for opening on the weekend after Memorial Day of next year, which should bring moviegoers back to Rockaway ever since Clearview upgraded its popular theaters to digital projection and 3-d.

CinemarkFan
CinemarkFan on September 2, 2008 at 3:32 pm

AMC should invest in this too. Provided that they have large screens with side masking

moviebuff82 on September 2, 2008 at 2:25 pm

starting this weekend, Mamma Mia will be shown with on-screen lyrics that the audience can sing to, similiar to what Sing a Long Sound of Music did a few years ago. Other new releases include Bottle Shock, Bangkok Dangerous, among notable releases. Someday AMC needs to catch up on what Clearview is doing and that is digital projection for regular movies rather than NCM Fathom stuff. At least the new IMAX system will be ready for next year, when one of its screens will be turned into a mini-IMAX for the next summer season.

moviebuff82 on August 24, 2008 at 11:58 am

Sorry for the unclickable link….here it is again…
BTW, I went to see “Pineapple Express” with my aunt in theater #2. Sound was great and projection was decent, quite a few people during a 11:35 showing. While at the box office, the cashier gave me a free ticket for that movie while my aunt paid for her own ticket. This is because I used my moviewatcher card. The only movie playing here that’s on more than one screen is Tropic Thunder. Nothing much has changed since I last visited here except that they now sell UNO pizza here finally!!!

moviebuff82 on August 21, 2008 at 1:58 pm

Here’s a video showing some guys doing the rick roll outside the theater…http://tinyurl.com/5nqm64

moviebuff82 on August 16, 2008 at 5:24 pm

The recent delay of the new Harry Potter movie could mean good news for the Rockaway AMC theater, as the IMAX screen will open just in time for a few major releases, such as Transformers 2, Night at the Museum 2, but not Watchmen. With the Dark Knight still making moolah, may a re-release come soon? I doubt it, with the increased revenue from dvd and blu-ray sales. BTW, has anything improved at the AMC in Rockaway besides the NCM Fathom thing?

moviebuff82 on August 11, 2008 at 11:43 am

FYI, the digital projection used for the NCM Fathom is the same equipment used for the digital preshow, which looks blurrier than what Screenvision does for Cablevision’s Clearview chain. Among the summer movies that will be shown on the new IMAX screen in Rockaway will be the next Transformers movie, which promises more robots, explosions, and romance. BTW, Dark Knight is still playing on four screens and will still play for a month or two and become the longest running movie in this theater before hitting the DVD store just in time for the holidays.

moviebuff82 on August 8, 2008 at 1:01 pm

it will be a domed screen and will show 3d and regular imax movies.

moviebuff82 on July 29, 2008 at 1:03 pm

6/30/2009 is when the imax system comes out…i cant wait!

moviebuff82 on July 26, 2008 at 8:46 am

I was surfing Google News for this theater, and here’s an interesting article from a local moviegoer complaining about the seats not big enough for his big body…

moviebuff82 on July 19, 2008 at 4:58 pm

on the day hancock opened, 800 dollars of cash were stolen from cash registers at the theater. this info i read from a local website. a few days ago, there was a jewelry robbery at the mall. looks like a job for batman, as his new movie is selling out. all eight midnight showings were sold out! thankfully, i went to mansfield to c dark knight in dlp cause it was closer to my dads house and not sold out.

moviebuff82 on July 15, 2008 at 1:07 pm

speaking of batman, it will play on four screens tomorrow at midnight. At least one of the shows is sold out. Starting tonight, advance ticketing for the movie will expand more showtimes; I guess the DLP will be used after the Beck ‘08 Live show for one of the auditoriums, as the NCM Fathom events come to this theater in two days. The Dark Knight will rule this theater this weekend, and with the movie being sold out, there are a couple of other movie choices for audiences to see, even though Mamma Mia and Space Chimps are getting so-so to terrible reviews. Next week should see the arrival of X-Files 2 (the second time this movie has been in town) and Step Brothers, which looks dumb. AFter batman, next movie I’m checking out is the next mummy movie. The last mummy movie was shown at the Rockaway 6, and I saw a trailer for Mummy 2. Too bad I saw it at what would become another AMC theater, Clifton Commons.