AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 1,401 - 1,425 of 1,497 comments

prez1989
prez1989 on December 1, 2007 at 9:15 pm

ok well good news and bad news… the attendance has gone up. so have our scores and prices and our employed people. now for the bad news…i am no longer with the theater BUT i still talk to people who work there so im still able to answer any quistions you have.

John Fink
John Fink on December 1, 2007 at 7:28 am

He has a point: early digital was awful – it sucked the life out of the movie (when I had been going to see movies at the what was Crown Palace in Hartford I always bought tickets to the non-digital show – but this was years ago). I’ve seen improvements, last time I was in Hartford, Showcase/Cinema De Lux Buckland Hills has a digital package from Dolby that’s really great and really sharp (but that theater always had pretty flawless projection). AMC Rockaway doesn’t have great projection, in fact I avoid it for that fact – digital might save it as the systems become more sophisticated. I saw Beowulf at Garden State and thought the presentation was great, they seem to jack-up the brightness to compensate for the polarization.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on November 30, 2007 at 10:37 pm

Beowulf 3d digital is the best 3d movie ever produced..2k is clear bright and always the same sharp picture as the first day..

You can not compare the perfection of digital to 35 mm film ..

tcjarvik
tcjarvik on November 30, 2007 at 9:10 pm

I went to a new AMC theater in Cupertino to see Beowulf in 3D. 3D was overrated. It had some depth to it, but there wasn’t much popping out of the screen. The 2K digital projection is a little darker than regular film. That’s the problem with digital projection. The digital projectors of today are not quite that good at reproducing colors. Blacks are not quite black, but dark gray. Add to the fact that the 3D glasses are like sunglasses made the film very dark and dim. At least, with digital projection there were no scratches or dust, but I’ve rarely seen problems with dust or scratches at theaters in my area. The overall dimness of 2K digital projection is a big drawback.

New 4K digital projectors are out, but they are very rare and expensive. There’s one 4K projector at AMC Empire 25 in New York. However, most films are scanned at 2K, so you’re stuck with a lower resolution viewing anyway. Give it a several more years and then maybe digital projection will get better. However, as of now digital projection still has half the resolution of film and colors seem muted. Digital is over-hyped.

moviebuff82 on November 24, 2007 at 4:40 pm

btw, has attendance at this theater increased from a year ago?

moviebuff82 on November 24, 2007 at 1:48 pm

went out to see “No Country for Old Men”, a decent Coen Bros. movie that has a bad ending. It was in one of those smaller screens, and the crowd behaved fine. The worst part during my movie trip? The traffic getting out was a bit tough, since right now is the busiest time of year for the mall rather than the theater. Seems that Rockaway Mall is now making more money that AMC and that Clearview’s Parsippany and Succasunna theaters get more than the shopping centers since those theaters are not near big malls and have better projection and customer service than AMC, which employs a mixture of old and young customers with hard to read accents. At least they added the AMC 16 tag to the entrance sign to the mall.

moviebuff82 on November 16, 2007 at 8:11 pm

one word of warning if u try to c beowulf..the cashier will say it’s not in 3d. many people asked the theater if it will play this decent but not great movie in 3d. at least the presentation was good, the service great, and the preshow back to normal since my last visit. too bad the met opera wont be hitting here, but in parsippany, which i haven’t been to since i took a tour of the place with my coworkers from employment horizons, a nonprofit group located not too far from the theater.

moviebuff82 on November 16, 2007 at 12:05 pm

Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of AMC’s return to theaters. On that same weekend, there are quite a few interesting films worth watching, such as Beowulf (not in 3-D), Mr. Magorium, and Cholera. Maybe next year this theater will have the technology like the other theaters surrounding the area. The only bad thing about this theater is that it forced only one theater to close, the Newton Twin, and leave Sparta open in its place. I wasn’t there that weekend when the theater opened, but the next weekend I went I really liked it. What future plans for this theater remain to be seen. About the only thing that changed this year was the prices. Despite that, this theater is the closest near where I live right now and is my favorite theater.

moviebuff82 on November 7, 2007 at 12:32 pm

just like the amc in rockaway, its nemesis, the clearviews in parsippany and succasunna raised their prices to $10.25. It’s still half a dollar cheap there compared to AMC, even though AMC has the cheapest matinee program anywhere with AM Cinema. Too bad most of AMC’s screens show 35mm for the feature and trailers and digital projection for the preshow.

moviebuff82 on November 3, 2007 at 6:51 am

Last night I went to see “American Gangster”. The presentation of the movie and trailers were great, but the preshow was a noshow. The reason? The colors were washed out…but the sound was loud and decent. Hopefully on my next visit they’ll fix the problem. Another thing worth noting is when my dad bought the tickets, there were no people tearing the tickets and telling them which theater it is, which is strange. And Michael D, I got your info and it’s true, first the concessions, and now the ticket prices are up. But not the AM Cinema, which is still 6 dollars!!!

moviebuff82 on November 2, 2007 at 12:05 pm

just checked out the website, and they raised ticket prices by .50. Also worth noting when I checked out the times for beowulf…no digital 3d, just plain old 35mm when it opens in two weeks. Hopefully this will change in the future as Beowulf will be the first major movie to be on 1,000 3d screens. Rockaway is not one of them, and when I see Beowulf, I won’t care if it’s in 3d or not, I’ll just enjoy watching the movie with a much larger screen and bigger surround sound.

prez1989
prez1989 on October 20, 2007 at 9:48 pm

well i dont know when the last time you were at the theater but we have just upped the price in our concession stand, seeing as how thats where the most money is spent. so this may be a hint that bigger things are comeing im sayin MAYBE because i dont know nobody is answering questions.

moviebuff82 on October 20, 2007 at 3:46 pm

just went to amc’s website for the upcoming sawfest next thursday, and looks like this theater won’t participate. the closest one is in clifton, which could be a nightmare for die hard saw fans in the morris county area. this adds more insult for this nearly year old theater, which isn’t keeping up to date on technology like the clearviews in succasunna and parsippany. one reason is taxes and the credit crunch. this theater was built before all that happened. as of this weekend, not a single movie is playing on two screens, a result of this weekend’s record count of new releases. the only movie not playing at this theater is that sarah paranormal flick, not to mention the jessie james film. next summer will be a successful summer for amc in rockaway, when indiana jones will return since his last crusade ended at the old amc. by then, amc will return to the stock market and hopefully dlp arrives before 2009, when that strike could bring fewer good movies and the first box office slump in four years!

Michael R. Rambo Jr.
Michael R. Rambo Jr. on September 29, 2007 at 9:36 pm

I just checked out Movie Tickets.com, and you can buy for AMC Rockaway 16. You can’t use Fandango.com for AMC Rockaway 16. Not sure about Movie Tickets.com’s “mobile.movietickets.com” Cell phone services.

moviebuff82 on September 28, 2007 at 3:37 am

BTW, the plasma TVs are too small to watch than the ones at the Clearview in Succasunna, but they show the same stuff as you’d expect at the theater with the first look thing. While I was at the theater last weekend, when I first sat into one of those seats, it squeaked for a while before quieting down. The armrests in each seat lack the leather that others have.

prez1989
prez1989 on September 27, 2007 at 6:09 pm

justin good catch on that BUT if you read the thing it accualy says movietickets.com/moviephone or soemthing like that i accualy have never even tryed to go to the website. and i would like to point out the addition of 2 new plasma tvs in the lobby one of them doesnt work(sent a bad tv.) and as for the 3d we are aware of the fact that it IS the next big thing but we need to save up the money for it. its VERY expinsive.

JJD
JJD on September 27, 2007 at 3:07 pm

While waiting for my movie to start I approached an employee who looked like he might be able to answer my question about…what else…digital 3D capability. I asked if it would be coming to this theater anytime soon. I sensed a softening of the “not very likely” answer I got several months ago. I mentioned the surge of new 3D movies coming out, “Beowulf”, “Journey 3D”, “Avatar”, “Monsters vs. Aliens”, “U23D”, re-release of “Nightmare Before Christmas”, and ALL of Dreamworks' animated offerings by 2009. I also mentioned the push by Real D to equip 5000 screens by (end of?) 2008. Hence, the pressure will be on for Rockaway 16 to “keep up with the Joneses”. Digital 3D is the future!!! He understood all that and did not disagree. The problem right now is the cost. I asked how Clifton Commons managed to get two screens equipped and was told they have a higher volume of patrons. Hmnn! I thought Rockaway was doing rather well and certainly ideally located for volume and, while digital installation is expensive, it would bring in additional revenue. Anyway, he was very courteous and appeared to suggest that “someday” they hope to go digital but it wouldn’t be anytime soon. Frustrating! Now I know how the Clearview chain got its name. With regard to, at least, this subject, their view of the future is clear.

moviebuff82 on September 26, 2007 at 1:05 pm

Just checked out the theater’s ticket site and tickets are not for sale on the web via movietickets.com, just only on moviefone.com. Why is that? It seems more people visit moviefone than movietickets.com.

moviebuff82 on September 21, 2007 at 6:29 pm

As for that black poster, it’s for American Gangster, that new Ridley Scott film that will be a hoot at this theater…seems that this theater has more Oscar-worthy fare playing at this theater than any other theater in Morris County, save for some of the smaller art-house chains not owned by big companies!!! The crowd during the movie was well behaved. One reminder, don’t go early to the movie until the cleaning crew has done its job after the credits roll so that you enjoy a clean experience. Most of the staff has been better trained now than it was a few months ago…too bad the arcade is smaller than the theaters itselfs and that the theater lacks a cafe due to the surrounding restaurants in a mall area.

moviebuff82 on September 21, 2007 at 6:25 pm

While going to see Resident Evil Extinction with my dad in one of the two auditoriums with the most seats (360 each, according to the sign near the theater), both of which played this so-so horror action bang of a movie, I indeed saw that poster for Poltergeist, which I hope will come to Rockaway for the first time in 25 years. Back when the original ghost movie opened, it was at either the inner or outer 6 (the megaplex’s predecessor), and it made some good money for the most popular horror film of 1982. My guess it will be presented in the same format as the digital preshow, which pales in comparison to DLP. One good note about this theater…the restrooms are well cleaned and have the most powerful hand dryers in any restroom, period!!!

moviebuff82 on September 11, 2007 at 4:28 pm

i still enjoy going to this theater…it’s worth it. During the preshow they show a lot of local ads much like how cablevision (parent of rival clearview) shows ads during cable shows on tv. They really try their best to be as local as a theater gets without hawking cable services much like Cablevision does at its cinemas. This makes AMC more like a movie theater company rather than a division of a huge media conglomerate. I remember when Loews used to be owned by Sony, when that happened, a lot of Sony ads were playing in the theaters, and most of the screens featured SDDS, not to mention playstation kiosks at the theaters. By the time the Loews Cineplex deal came, Sony left for good.

prez1989
prez1989 on September 11, 2007 at 4:15 pm

i think it was an animay kinda thing like yugioh or one of those….and as far as us getting dlp write to the company headquarters and talk to managers and stuff…we listen to suggestions and stuff so if you suggest it it brings us one step closer. and as far as most people are concerned they dont really see the diffrence in dlp and regular or 3d so its a had call on the theaters part.

moviebuff82 on September 11, 2007 at 1:32 pm

very funny. btw i hope this theater gets dlp or else i go to parsippany or succasunna.

prez1989
prez1989 on September 11, 2007 at 1:28 pm

if you read the posters that are along the wall there are accualy a few of them were promoting. one is for poltergist and the i forget the otherone but its on a black poster stand on the left side of the doors when you walk in…hope thats helpful

moviebuff82 on September 10, 2007 at 3:40 pm

just went by the theater today and there was an ambulance along with some cop cars near the entrance; my best guess was someone choked on some popcorn and a lucky moviegoer called 911 to notify st claire’s about it. good thing that the theater was still open and not busy as most people went back to school and work.