AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 1,401 - 1,425 of 1,509 comments

JasonS
JasonS on January 18, 2008 at 3:53 pm

(Sorry about the break, but I’m afraid that I’ll exceed the character limit)

Even before that experience, I saw Sweeney Todd (a wonderful movie) at the wonderful Ziegfeld in New York. There was only one screen, but so much space (about 1100 seats!). In the “shoebox” theatre, on the other hand, I hated how the space was intentionally limited just to get another screen in the building. This is an example of an attempt by the AMC corporation to sacrifice quality and space for $$$. I mean, what’s the purpose of such a small theatre just for the sake of an extra screen? Add to that the unneccessary commercials (previews are fine) and overpriced refreshments, and that’s why I hate the multiplexes in general (even though in my area- Morris County, NJ- there’s no other choice).
Believe it or not, I am in high school, and I am of the multiplex-going generation. However, after reading the various comments on small-town theaters (I was curious), I happened to overanalyze my thoughts on movie theatres (I like to analyze a lot). I started to agree, and have agreed ever since, that the local theaters, when not subdivided into smaller cinemas, provide the incentive for MANY PEOPLE to see the movie comfortably, as a COMMUNITY. If you want to add another screen, that’s fine, but don’t subdivide a big screen for that reason! I would just build a big one-screen theater, and if another was necessary, I would build another one close to it (if not directly next door).There, the focus would be QUALITY and SERVICE, not money and greed. (That’s why I want, one day, to go to the Lafayette- that may be the only place left like that)
Say, why are the movie slumps occuring? Because MONEY is the incentive for moviemaking, not originality or talent, and the operations of the multiplexes (in general) are based upon MONEY, not SERVICE. This is the end of the Golden Age of moviegoing…

JasonS
JasonS on January 18, 2008 at 3:38 pm

I remember going to this theatre a couple of weeks ago and went through one of the worst movie experiences I’ve experienced. It wasn’t the great movie (I Am Legend) or the comfortable seats. It wasn’t the concept of stadium seating, which is a good concept. It was the amount of space in the “shoebox” theatres.
That day, I went with a friend to see the movie. As I walked down the corridor towards Theater 4, I noticed the number of seats on the walls. Theatres #1 and 8 had about 360, and Theatres #2 and 7 had about 250 (I don’t remember exactly what it was). However, Theatres 3 and 4 had 146 seats, and 5 and 6 had 123.
The tickets said that the movie was in Theater 4. My friend and I walked in ten minutes before the show started, and the movie was out for a couple of weeks already, yet the place was PACKED. We looked at the stadium seats- no room for two. We were forced to look at the front row (which I hate)– no room for two. We literally had to SPLIT UP to find seats. Yes, I had to sit next to a complete stranger. It could have been worse, for the person was rather nice instead of a complete asshole, but it was still disappointing that I couldn’t sit with my friend.

moviebuff82 on January 11, 2008 at 12:05 pm

Checking the recent movie listings, AMC didn’t have advance tickets for Cloverfield; only Clearview has the advantage. Too bad they won’t show the u23d and hanna montana movies….this theater will get a different kind of digital system in the form of an HD version of Imax which will increase business at this theater, which is doing quite well. BTW, when will the IMAX equipment be installed? I can’t wait, probably have to save my AMC gift cards for those flicks!!! I hope 2 see the new batman in that format.

moviebuff82 on December 31, 2007 at 4:25 am

just went to see golden compass in one of the small screens, number 5, this past saturday at 1:30 and during the film’s darker scenes the light from the projection room appeared on the right of the screen. i sat in a seat near the front and the picture was ok.

prez1989
prez1989 on December 8, 2007 at 11:04 am

it will eaither be theyre biggest or on of the smallest like theater 4,5,12,or 13.

moviebuff82 on December 7, 2007 at 7:11 pm

my bad. The system which will be installed at this theater by around summer 2008 will be a new version of the Imax 3-D system that eliminates the need for bulky film, hence it will be digital and will charge $2-4 more per ticket. BTW, which of the 16 screens will be retrofitted for the IMAX 3-D, or will it be an additional screen? Only time will tell.

moviebuff82 on December 7, 2007 at 12:46 pm

This just in….Looks like the AMC in Rockaway will have IMAX!!!
I’ll also post this as a news item. IMAX will be a much welcome addition to this theater and will increase traffic and money. IMAX tickets are more expensive than digital 3-D and 35mm combined. It’ll be nice to see an IMAX movie in Rockaway rather than drive all the way to manhattan or west nyack.

prez1989
prez1989 on December 6, 2007 at 4:58 pm

well it looks like loews because it was originally going to be one thats why if you look it has theyre signiture spotlight designs on the floors and walls outside and inside.

tcjarvik
tcjarvik on December 5, 2007 at 7:15 pm

http://maps.live.com shows the AMC Rockaway when it was under construction and almost completed.

John is right. AMC Rockaway looks almost identical to Loews Alderwood at 18421 Alderwood Mall Pky, Lynnwood, WA 98037. The Bird’s Eye View shows the theater and you can spin around and see from it from 4 different views. It’s like virtual reality.

prez1989
prez1989 on December 2, 2007 at 9:05 pm

by scores i mean our rateing by secret shoppers and what not its a score based out of ten and thats how we get our rankings. and i quit the theater due to gas prices and distance. i didnt work at the old one but i did go there alot. as for 3d…well…the best i got is that theyre working on it

moviebuff82 on December 2, 2007 at 10:20 am

Just checked out the amc website for the upcoming Hannah Montana 3D movie, and guess what…amc rockaway isn’t one of them. Seems like next year rockaway will get 3d after its competitors got it first. To me, 3D movies would be expensive and cost too much for the average person living in a low-income suburb like Rockaway, compared with more trafficked areas like Parsippany, Clifton, Paramus, and even Succasunna. Even Clearview’s Mansfield theater isn’t fit for 3d, just that other Warren County theater, the Pohatcong, that has digital (and that’s a Regal, which is AMC’s #1 competitor in the megaplex business). BTW, what is the #1 16 screener owned by AMC? Let me know…

moviebuff82 on December 2, 2007 at 7:57 am

what you do mean by scores? And why did you get fired from the amc in rockaway? Did you used to work at the old AMC in Rockaway before it was closed down? Anyways, it seems that the theater is the number one attraction at the mall these days since it opened in late 2006. I’m sure this coming summer will be a good one for the theater.

prez1989
prez1989 on December 1, 2007 at 9:15 pm

ok well good news and bad news… the attendance has gone up. so have our scores and prices and our employed people. now for the bad news…i am no longer with the theater BUT i still talk to people who work there so im still able to answer any quistions you have.

John Fink
John Fink on December 1, 2007 at 7:28 am

He has a point: early digital was awful – it sucked the life out of the movie (when I had been going to see movies at the what was Crown Palace in Hartford I always bought tickets to the non-digital show – but this was years ago). I’ve seen improvements, last time I was in Hartford, Showcase/Cinema De Lux Buckland Hills has a digital package from Dolby that’s really great and really sharp (but that theater always had pretty flawless projection). AMC Rockaway doesn’t have great projection, in fact I avoid it for that fact – digital might save it as the systems become more sophisticated. I saw Beowulf at Garden State and thought the presentation was great, they seem to jack-up the brightness to compensate for the polarization.

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on November 30, 2007 at 10:37 pm

Beowulf 3d digital is the best 3d movie ever produced..2k is clear bright and always the same sharp picture as the first day..

You can not compare the perfection of digital to 35 mm film ..

tcjarvik
tcjarvik on November 30, 2007 at 9:10 pm

I went to a new AMC theater in Cupertino to see Beowulf in 3D. 3D was overrated. It had some depth to it, but there wasn’t much popping out of the screen. The 2K digital projection is a little darker than regular film. That’s the problem with digital projection. The digital projectors of today are not quite that good at reproducing colors. Blacks are not quite black, but dark gray. Add to the fact that the 3D glasses are like sunglasses made the film very dark and dim. At least, with digital projection there were no scratches or dust, but I’ve rarely seen problems with dust or scratches at theaters in my area. The overall dimness of 2K digital projection is a big drawback.

New 4K digital projectors are out, but they are very rare and expensive. There’s one 4K projector at AMC Empire 25 in New York. However, most films are scanned at 2K, so you’re stuck with a lower resolution viewing anyway. Give it a several more years and then maybe digital projection will get better. However, as of now digital projection still has half the resolution of film and colors seem muted. Digital is over-hyped.

moviebuff82 on November 24, 2007 at 4:40 pm

btw, has attendance at this theater increased from a year ago?

moviebuff82 on November 24, 2007 at 1:48 pm

went out to see “No Country for Old Men”, a decent Coen Bros. movie that has a bad ending. It was in one of those smaller screens, and the crowd behaved fine. The worst part during my movie trip? The traffic getting out was a bit tough, since right now is the busiest time of year for the mall rather than the theater. Seems that Rockaway Mall is now making more money that AMC and that Clearview’s Parsippany and Succasunna theaters get more than the shopping centers since those theaters are not near big malls and have better projection and customer service than AMC, which employs a mixture of old and young customers with hard to read accents. At least they added the AMC 16 tag to the entrance sign to the mall.

moviebuff82 on November 16, 2007 at 8:11 pm

one word of warning if u try to c beowulf..the cashier will say it’s not in 3d. many people asked the theater if it will play this decent but not great movie in 3d. at least the presentation was good, the service great, and the preshow back to normal since my last visit. too bad the met opera wont be hitting here, but in parsippany, which i haven’t been to since i took a tour of the place with my coworkers from employment horizons, a nonprofit group located not too far from the theater.

moviebuff82 on November 16, 2007 at 12:05 pm

Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of AMC’s return to theaters. On that same weekend, there are quite a few interesting films worth watching, such as Beowulf (not in 3-D), Mr. Magorium, and Cholera. Maybe next year this theater will have the technology like the other theaters surrounding the area. The only bad thing about this theater is that it forced only one theater to close, the Newton Twin, and leave Sparta open in its place. I wasn’t there that weekend when the theater opened, but the next weekend I went I really liked it. What future plans for this theater remain to be seen. About the only thing that changed this year was the prices. Despite that, this theater is the closest near where I live right now and is my favorite theater.

moviebuff82 on November 7, 2007 at 12:32 pm

just like the amc in rockaway, its nemesis, the clearviews in parsippany and succasunna raised their prices to $10.25. It’s still half a dollar cheap there compared to AMC, even though AMC has the cheapest matinee program anywhere with AM Cinema. Too bad most of AMC’s screens show 35mm for the feature and trailers and digital projection for the preshow.

moviebuff82 on November 3, 2007 at 6:51 am

Last night I went to see “American Gangster”. The presentation of the movie and trailers were great, but the preshow was a noshow. The reason? The colors were washed out…but the sound was loud and decent. Hopefully on my next visit they’ll fix the problem. Another thing worth noting is when my dad bought the tickets, there were no people tearing the tickets and telling them which theater it is, which is strange. And Michael D, I got your info and it’s true, first the concessions, and now the ticket prices are up. But not the AM Cinema, which is still 6 dollars!!!

moviebuff82 on November 2, 2007 at 12:05 pm

just checked out the website, and they raised ticket prices by .50. Also worth noting when I checked out the times for beowulf…no digital 3d, just plain old 35mm when it opens in two weeks. Hopefully this will change in the future as Beowulf will be the first major movie to be on 1,000 3d screens. Rockaway is not one of them, and when I see Beowulf, I won’t care if it’s in 3d or not, I’ll just enjoy watching the movie with a much larger screen and bigger surround sound.

prez1989
prez1989 on October 20, 2007 at 9:48 pm

well i dont know when the last time you were at the theater but we have just upped the price in our concession stand, seeing as how thats where the most money is spent. so this may be a hint that bigger things are comeing im sayin MAYBE because i dont know nobody is answering questions.

moviebuff82 on October 20, 2007 at 3:46 pm

just went to amc’s website for the upcoming sawfest next thursday, and looks like this theater won’t participate. the closest one is in clifton, which could be a nightmare for die hard saw fans in the morris county area. this adds more insult for this nearly year old theater, which isn’t keeping up to date on technology like the clearviews in succasunna and parsippany. one reason is taxes and the credit crunch. this theater was built before all that happened. as of this weekend, not a single movie is playing on two screens, a result of this weekend’s record count of new releases. the only movie not playing at this theater is that sarah paranormal flick, not to mention the jessie james film. next summer will be a successful summer for amc in rockaway, when indiana jones will return since his last crusade ended at the old amc. by then, amc will return to the stock market and hopefully dlp arrives before 2009, when that strike could bring fewer good movies and the first box office slump in four years!