TCL Chinese Theatre

6925 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 1,426 - 1,450 of 1,591 comments

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 1, 2006 at 10:31 pm

The Chinese Theater was an awesome and amazing sight for someone from the New York area like me. Almost all our movie palaces have been destroyed. A famous Chinese-American actor, Keye Luke, designed and painted the murals, wall and ceiling decorations in the theater, and they are truly beautiful.

blegua
blegua on June 1, 2006 at 9:26 pm

Hello all, I’m a college student in southern California doing a research paper on Grauman’s Chinese Theater. I was hoping I could get a few questions answered, preferably by someone Chinese-American, who knows China’s cultural art, and has personally seen the theater. But anyone is free to answer any questions, any answers are greatly appreciated. Please respond ASAP.

Do you think the theater depicts China’s culture accurately? Please explain.
Do you the global exchange of Chinese architecture was a great idea for Hollywood? Why/why not?
What was it like for you when visiting the theater?
Anything else you would like to add.

Thank you for your time and I can’t wait to see your response.

spikewriter
spikewriter on May 11, 2006 at 10:20 pm

Posiedon at least had its premiere at the Chinese — I was down there yesterday afternoon and they were getting ready for the festivities (Hollywood Blvd. westbound closed down in front of the theatre, the sidewalk in front of the theatre itself blocked and the tackiest blue carpet I think I’ve ever seen, bored security guards). Lots of disappointed tourists who wanted to see the footprints and weren’t necessarily willing to wait in the heat to see the stars. So, instead of wandering among the footprints after a not-that-satisfactory job interview, I wandered up the “Arcade of Awards” at the Kodak and enjoyed the Intolerance-style elephants.

Coate
Coate on May 10, 2006 at 8:36 pm

“Duck Dodgers in the 24th ½ Century” was shown in 70mm with “Star Wars” at the Cinema 21 in San Francisco.

Hal
Hal on May 10, 2006 at 6:31 pm

I just read some of the Star Wars stuff up above, I saw the original Star Wars in 70mm at the Chinese way back when and thought I’d get someone else’s memory going! I seem to recall that they were running a 70mm copy of “Duck Dodgers” (remember that great Daffy Duck Cartoon!) along with the film, and someone told me that it was a request of George Lucas. I also remember Star Wars as having been one of the first films to use the full 20th Century Fox “CinemaScope Fanfare” in years, it was really a knock-out in 70MM Dolby!!! The Chinese is another one of those wonderful theatres where even a “crappy” movie some how looks and sounds great! Not living in or near LA I have only seen a few films there, but seeing Star Wars there was outstanding, unfortunately, when I got home I had to run the film in 35MM mono, we did get Dolby several weeks into the run but no 70mm.

Hal
Hal on May 10, 2006 at 6:31 pm

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on April 19, 2006 at 9:31 pm

M:I3 is already booked for The Dome. I suspect Poseidon will play at Chinese (since Warner Bros. owns 50% of Mann Theatres). The DaVinci Code will undoubtedly play at The Dome (I saw the trailer there when I saw King Kong) and X3 will probably play at Chinese.

timquan
timquan on April 16, 2006 at 2:08 pm

So have they announced which films will play at the Grauman’s Chinese during May? There are 4 big films opening in May (MI3, Poseidon, The DaVinci Code, and X-Men 3), and only two big-screen theatres in Hollywood that can play them: The Grauman’s Chinese and the Dome at Arclight Hollywood. And isn’t it shocking that Grauman’s Chinese showed a trailer for ‘United 93’ nearly a month ago, and it would cause a lot of bad feedback from patrons?

kmarie628
kmarie628 on April 10, 2006 at 11:08 pm

Anyone know where I might be able to find a floor plan of the entire theater for a school project? I’m having quite a bit of trouble…thanks very much!

4fun
4fun on April 1, 2006 at 2:41 pm

The original rendering of the Chiinese Theater by Raymond Kennedy just went on eBay! If you want to see what the original colors of the theater were, go to eBay. Click on “Buy”(you wont be committed to buy anything) then Art>Drawings> Modern(1900-1949). It went on a few days ago so there are a lot of things that have gone on sale since that time so the easiest way to find it is by “sorting by price-highest” or some other search in that category. I was surprised it is so valuable. It is being sold along with the drawing for the construction of the theater curtain that was interestingly made of woven ASBESTOS fibers! There are some good pictures of that original curtain. Both are quite beautiful drawings!!

dennis906
dennis906 on March 26, 2006 at 12:39 pm

Anyone planning a trip to Los Angeles must put this theatre on their must see list of places to visit in Los Angeles.

dennis906
dennis906 on March 26, 2006 at 12:10 pm

“Earthquake” was moved from the Chinese to the Paramount theatre across the street during it’s run in 1974?

jims222
jims222 on March 15, 2006 at 9:10 am

I’ve not been here but its on my list of top 10 places in the world to visit!

4fun
4fun on March 3, 2006 at 3:07 pm

I just received a post card announcing that the original 1925 Raymond Kennedy architectural rendering of the theater is going on auction on eBay on March 30. It states that this is the only signed, color version in existence. The original color rendering for designing the asbestos theater curtain is also going to be auctioned.

tomdelay
tomdelay on December 27, 2005 at 12:16 am

The famed Grauman’s Chinese Theatre opened in 1927 with a 3 manual
17 rank Wurlitzer organ. The organ was shipped from North Tonawanda, NY on 12/20/1926 and is known as Opus 1541. The organ chambers are above the auditorium, just in front of the stagehouse. The style 260-special organ with a “small” set of 32' Diaphone pipes installed backstage, the organ was removed from the Chinese Theatre in the early 1950s.

The organ was removed and seriously modified and reinstalled in St. Finbar’s R.C. Church in Burbank. In the early 1980s, the organ was either completely removed or again modified. The original Chinese Theatre Wurlitzer console is now playing the superb 20-rank Wurlitzer in the Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto, CA.

The late theatre organist George Wright (who actually recorded some never-released recordings of the Chinese Wurlitzer) described the organ as having a very pleasing, but distant sound.

The elaborate cieling organ screen is dozens of feet from the actual chamber openings. The organ sound was transported via a large, smooth surface “tone chute”.

Like Grauman’s Egyptian Theatre (across and down Hollywood Blvd. from the Chinese), the Chinese Wurlitzer console was not on a lift
but sat in a fixed position in the orchestra pit. (The Egyptian Theatre Wurlitzer was the same Wurlitzer style 260 as the Chinese Wurlitzer but was installed in 1922.)

4fun
4fun on December 13, 2005 at 4:31 pm

For those that are interested, a short history of Raymond M. Kennedy, the architect of the Chinese Theater has been recently posted on Wikipedia. Once you are at the Wikipedia web site just type in Raymond M. Kennedy into the search box and click on Go. For some reason if you click search after typing in his name it does not go to his page.

UKuser
UKuser on November 2, 2005 at 8:11 am

CALLING ALL THEATRE / MOVIE ENTHUSIASTS!!!

T'he Los Angeles Theatre' on South Broadway, LA is playing host to the UK television show ‘Dead Famous LIVE’. We are currently looking for people who would like to come along as part of the studio audience.

‘Dead Famous LIVE’ is a studio entertainment show all about Hollywood History and the paranormal. We will be welcoming celebrity guests on to the show and investigating famous locations around Hollywood which are rumoured to be haunted including the Los Angeles Theatre itself.

This is an invaluable chance to get access to the Los Angeles Theatre, the place where Charlie Chaplin’s ‘City Lights’ premiered in 1931 and to have a thoroughly great day out! (And its free!!)

We’re transmitting ‘Live’ back to the United Kingdom so expect it to be exciting and fun!

We will be filming on three days from 11th – 13th November between 11.30am – 4pm. If you are interested in coming on one or all of these days then email me for tickets!

.uk

I look forward to your responses!

MrFootprint
MrFootprint on September 13, 2005 at 4:30 am

My grandfather, Jean Klossner was on the original Meyer & Holler construction crew that built the Egyptian, Chinese, Mayan and American theaters (among others) ….. After the opening of the Chinese, he performed the footprint ceremonies for over 40 years. He said Sid Grauman always wanted to open a complete chain, each theater with a different theme …. So different than the “Multiplex Giants” of today ……

bruceanthony
bruceanthony on August 27, 2005 at 8:20 pm

Theatre chains need to worry about above comments. Presentaiton is a key elemnet missing in many of our theatres across the country. The experience of going to a theatre must competed with DVD’S in todays world. In the old days bad behavior in a theatre wasn’t tolerated.brucec

GeorgeStrum
GeorgeStrum on August 27, 2005 at 6:22 pm

My apology to those who read my comments and were puzzled by the facts. The actual film I was referring to was BATMAN BEGINS . Sorry, I must have been so flustered by my experience I had forgotten the name of the film I saw or in this case didn’t see since I left well before the ending. People with stinky feet and cell phones should be banned from any theatre. Were was security or ushers to keep an eye on such nonsence, especially a place like Grauman’s!

MagicLantern
MagicLantern on August 27, 2005 at 6:18 pm

This theatre features prominently in the film “Fade to Black” (1980).

MarkNYLA
MarkNYLA on August 27, 2005 at 3:52 pm

Stevebob: I absolutely remember the plastic mold machine; it sat on the extreme right of the forecourt (facing towards the entrance) next to the entrance of the gift shop. I last saw it in the early 1990s, but it has gone now. How I wish I had actually made one of the little pagodas on one of my many visits, now the opportunity is lost.

There’s something else that’s missing from the forecourt. Many years ago (in the 1940s, maybe), the theatre held a contest that would allow the winner, just any average Joe, to place his name and prints in cement just like the celebs did. The deal was that the cement slab would remain there forever, just like all the others. Eventually, of course, the slab was moved to an out-of-the-way spot waaaayyyy to the right, not far from the plastic machine mentioned above. I remember seeing it there at the same time I last saw the mold machine. Now, it has gone too. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the winner who was so immortalized, but I remember the words ‘contest winner’ were on the same slab with his prints.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 27, 2005 at 1:52 pm

It’s just bats, man.

Coate
Coate on August 27, 2005 at 1:36 pm

“I attended a showing of Batman Returns at one of the multiplex screens not the original theatre” (Valencia, Aug 27, 2005)

“If memory serves, and it does so less than it used to, ‘Batman Returns’ would have played when the twin was still next door and not the current 6 plex in the new center.” (Manwithnoname, Aug 27, 2005)

I saw “Batman Returns,” the 1992 entry in the movie series, on opening night in the Chinese’s original, main auditorium. So either Valencia is confusing one “Batman” movie with another or saw the movie after it had been playing a while and the print had been moved to one of the smaller screens next door.

Manwithnoname
Manwithnoname on August 27, 2005 at 11:01 am

I don’t remember the pagoda machine. Marineland had one that made sea animals and The L.A. Zoo still has some.