AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 126 - 150 of 1,497 comments

moviebuff82 on May 11, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Saw avengers in reald 3d and while the movie was a good one the 3d sucked. There were two 2d trailers and four 3d trailers. Can’t wait for Prometheus in 3d!!!!

moviebuff82 on May 2, 2012 at 11:58 am

This weekend it’s all “Avengers” as the movie plays in digital 2D, fake reald 3d, and fake liemax 3d. Expect huge crowds for this film throughout the month of May.

moviebuff82 on April 6, 2012 at 12:49 pm

the movie was amazing, the projection,so so. It was intheater #7, which was dim, and was next to the imax theater playing wrath of the titans. During quiet moments in hunger games, i can hear sound coming from the imax and hear a rumble or two.

MGrennille
MGrennille on April 4, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I loved the books…That being said, it was fantastic. They definitely skipped on some of the ending, but it was already 2.5 hours, so can’t really complain. I am actually hearing great things about Titanic in 3D. May have to check it out.

moviebuff82 on April 3, 2012 at 3:40 pm

How was it, MGrennille? It’s still doing gangbusters after two weeks of release. Titanic is back in 3D, only real d 3D according to fandango. Also the prices for Prometheus on fandango are $17!!!

MGrennille
MGrennille on March 22, 2012 at 4:45 pm

As of 6:30, there were “rope lines” going up for The Hunger Games. Last count, I saw 10 screenings at midnight tonight. Movie is getting great reviews. Can’t wait to see it on Saturday.

moviebuff82 on March 17, 2012 at 4:45 pm

advance tickets are now on sale for the avengers (midnight showing only) as well as Prometheus. Pretty soon they’ll have tix for Dark Knight rises!!!

moviebuff82 on March 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Went to a 4:30 showing of the Lorax in Imax “Tree-D”, and enjoyed it a lot!!! It was the best Imax Digital 3D presentation I’ve seen and heard ever. Colors were bright and sharp and the surround sound was amazing. The 3-D was pretty awesome too. The trailers that played before the film were not in Imax 3D except for the amazing 3d trailer for To The Arctic which was shot in Imax 3D. It comes out on Earth Day, 2012.

moviebuff82 on February 29, 2012 at 12:56 pm

according to fandango, The Artist returns following its Oscar win on sunday night, Hugo is showing for two times only in 3d, The lorax comes out in Real D 3D, 2D, and Liemax Tree-D, and Project X (not the 1987 movie) comes out.

moviebuff82 on February 27, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Last night, Hugo won a bunch of awards, mostly for its acclaimed technicality. If the AMC in Rockaway was nominated for an award, it would get a Razzie for high prices, blurry 2D projection on dim 3D lenses, and bad imax subwoofer bleeding into the theaters.

moviebuff82 on February 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Here’s the link to what’s coming soon at this theater….http://bit.ly/wl8rFy One issue that I had while watching Star Wars Episode I 3D was the bleeding subwoofer issue from the next screen over and that the volume was much lower than a Dolby Digital presentation. The background images were blurry but some of the CGI looked sharp. The Ice Age short I’ve seen before in 2D but in 3D is amazing, not to mention the digital preshow starring The Lorax. The preshow didn’t end with the usual AMC Where movies live jingle, they interrupted one of those AMC fathom events ads to make the screen shorter. No AMC “Coming Soon” snipe and no AMC “Magic Coke” trailer.

moviebuff82 on February 21, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Went to see star wars episode 1 in 3d….the 3d was ok, added a little depth and wow to the weakest of the star wars franchise. The trailers looked good. Spiderman in 3d looks iffy, and so is John Carter. The Lorax looks great in 3D.

moviebuff82 on February 19, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Here’s the link to an article about the AMC BPS…http://dailyre.co/xI57eF

moviebuff82 on February 18, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Fandango is a better site. More colorful and appealing, plus the user’s ratings system is pretty neat. The mobile app is awesome. I saw Hugo in 3D, and didn’t see any cropping of the image to scope. Great 3D and sound mixing!!! It was in one of the smaller theaters, lucky #13. The 3D was a bit dark, though, with the glasses on. One thing that bothered me was that the preshow video was a bit jittery before the movie began, and there was no picture during the music that plays after and before the preshow. I also heard subwoofer noise coming from the imax, which needs to be toned down.

Danny Baldwin
Danny Baldwin on February 18, 2012 at 9:20 am

moviebuff, AMC has switched to Fandango for ticketing for all theaters.

moviebuff82 on February 18, 2012 at 6:11 am

PeterApruzzuse, I plan on seeing Hugo this weekend at AMC in 3D. Hopefullly they don’t cut the screen to scope….If they don’t go, I’ll wait for the bluray, which is less than two weeks away.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on February 16, 2012 at 9:57 am

What is wrong with the current IMAX projection here? It looks brighter to me than on any of the other large screens here already and the 3D on it has a lot less ghosting due to cross-talk between L and R images partially showing through to the wrong eye than the Real 3D screens do.

I think IMAX may be going to Barco laser projection eventually. Their really big screens, the true IMAX ones, would need that and I think have first priority. I didn’t think Rockaway was getting one as soon as Dark Knight, but I don’t really know for sure.

moviebuff82 on February 14, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Here’s a weird thing. When you click on a showtime to buy tickets on movietickets.com, it goes to a screen saying that they’re disabled at this time. directing consumers to nearby theaters that support the site. Any update on the situation between this movie ticketing giants please comment back. On a lighter side, the next time you see an IMAX movie in this theater, they will replace the Christie projectors with brighter Barco projectors, which clearview uses in some of its theaters. This will happen around the time Dark Knight Rises releases. According to the film’s wikipedia page, the director of the movie has talked to the people behind imax to show exhibitors the right way to project digital IMAX, which is what AMC needs to do.

moviebuff82 on February 8, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Speaking of advanced tickets, if you plan on ordering this week, go to fandango.com, which I think is a better detailed site than movietickets.com. Weird that movietickets.com still has showtimes online for tickets lol, and that they filed a lawsuit against Comcast, the parent of fandango. I’m sure fandango will win because it’s makes it much easier to order tickets.

moviebuff82 on February 5, 2012 at 11:38 am

Advance tickets now on sale for Secret World of Arietty (japanese anime movie dubbed by Disney) and John Carter 3D and Liemax 3D.

moviebuff82 on February 1, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I know alpinedownhiller. I can stand loud noises in the theater by the surround sound even if there’s babies crying during quiet scenes. AMC should consider lowering the volume in the IMAX screen so that there are no rumblings next to the restroom or an earthquake could happen ala sensurround. Also, AMC needs to make their seats more comfortable and the armrests more plushy ala Garden State 16.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on January 31, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Has anyone noticed how insanely loud they have the volume set in some of the screens?

Most of all now the IMAX #8 is pumped up to insane levels now,it was always incredibly loud but now it seems even louder. So over the top I had to get ear plugs and even with full size ear plugs that make even a rock concert sound not all that loud I could still even the quietest whisper of dialogue without even a strain. I even tested holding my ears for a second on top of full size ear plugs and I could still hear characters whispering at the quietest moments with ease. Even with ear plugs most of the loud parts still made my ears bleed. Insane. I know the theaters are desperate to bring people in and give an experience you can’t get in the home but there is no way those levels can’t be causing permanent hearing damage even over just a short two hour movie, even with ear plugs, at those levels since they don’t block all frequencies all that well I don’t think it can be good.

Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol had over the top volume there and Underworld was actually even turned up louder yet in screen #8.

Even the bathroom a couple screens down rumbles and you can sometimes hear the IMAX #8 audio in it now.

I should also say that people sometimes say I play movies at home too loudly too so if I think the volume at theaters is getting out of control I think it is getting out of control.

moviebuff82 on January 25, 2012 at 12:09 pm

3D movies upcoming…. Star Wars Episode I 3D and Journey 2 3D (IMAX, RealD)-February 10 Ghost Rider 2 3D- February 17

moviebuff82 on January 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm

As expected, in addition to the new releases opening this weekend, The Artist finally opens at this theater, becoming the first silent movie (albeit with sound effects and music in the digital soundtrack) to be played in this theater.

moviebuff82 on January 24, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Speaking of Hugo, it’s the most nominated movie at this year’s oscars. I’m sure AMC will show the 9 movies next week when AMC Best Picture Showcase returns….