Egyptian Theatre

6712 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 6, 2007 at 9:11 am

hollywood, why’d you delete them? They seem so tantalizing, both here and on other pages.

markinthedark
markinthedark on August 6, 2007 at 7:37 am

The thing is that they did not “restore” the theatre in the proper sense of the word. Rather, they built a modern theatre within the restored shell of the Egyptian.

KramSacul
KramSacul on August 6, 2007 at 7:30 am

Bunch of slackers over there aren’t they? A real shame too because I would certainly go to the Egyptain Ruins if they had some interesting Q&A screenings as those kind of events have pretty much dried up at Arclight.

How can a “restored” theater not have curtains?

terrywade
terrywade on August 6, 2007 at 7:07 am

The problem with the lack of people knowing what is playing at the New Egyptian. When I visit Hollywood I walk past the front gates, many out of town tourists go by don’t even have a clue of the inside. The last time a few weeks ago the main neon was only part on. The fountain long shut off because of leaks and the dirty courtyard was bad news, now the ice cream place on the left is gone. When they did the bad remodel why did’t someone put a old type marquee on the front to let people know what is going on at the theatre? The inside has no showmanship. No curtains on the screen (someone from our group THS offered the Egyptian a set of curtains,they refused) I look up today at the ceiling, and always tell the candy manager why don’t you put some blue or red lights up in the only art left up on the ceiling, he just shrugs. I'ts sad with a little color lights during the film or a nice waterfall curtain and slite curve of the screen they can bring back some showmanship. The place is going broke. Bring in some new blood into management.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 23, 2007 at 1:54 pm

The photobucket link didn’t work. Can you post it again?

vcarville
vcarville on July 6, 2007 at 12:18 am

Last movie I saw here was Freddy’s Dead in 3D. I also saw Cinderella that was playing here as well in the 80s. (It had it’s opening for one of the Exorcist movies (3 perhaps) I was so excited when it was restored. But the beauty of the exterior though beautiful couldn’t compare to the interior which was totally breathtaking, my heart sunk in my chest when I saw the final product at a screening of bus stop, I couldn’t believe it, it was ruined sad to say. The splendor that the interior once was, was completely lost…

trooperboots
trooperboots on July 5, 2007 at 4:06 am

Can anyone tell me if the Lucille Ball movie “The Magic Carpet” (1951) premiered here? If so, what the date of the premier was? Thanks so much!

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 16, 2007 at 4:43 pm

Here is an interesting 1923 photo from the LAPL, not so much for the theater but for the view of Hollywood Blvd in its early days. No highrises.

monika
monika on February 19, 2007 at 11:57 am

Visited the Egyptian for the first time yesterday for the taping of the pre Oscar episode of “Film Week”, what a treat. Hollywood Blvd still has that magic feeling to it.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on December 7, 2006 at 2:59 pm

I’ve always been impressed by the design of this ad for the epic “Hawaii”:

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on October 3, 2006 at 12:57 pm

There was a nice view of the Egyptian circa 1974 in the fourth episode of Kolchak-the Night Stalker, season 1.

William
William on October 3, 2006 at 12:37 pm

That’s the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on September 25, 2006 at 1:36 pm

The Los Angeles Public Library says that this photograph is of an “unidentified theatre”, but the five aisles, the enclosed space where the balcony would normally be and the Egyptian decor clearly identify this as a rare early photo of the interior of Grauman’s Egyptian seen from behind the orchestra pit.

William
William on July 5, 2006 at 2:01 pm

The Norelco’s are still there at the Panatages.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 4, 2006 at 4:34 am

This really belongs on the Pantages page, but I will note that theater was further restored a few years back. Merely because William says that in the early 1990’s it was re-equipped to run 70 mm doesn’t mean the projectors are still there.

I wander if they were thinking premieres or 1st run films? Even if only once a year for Last Remaining Seats, it would be wonderful to have the chance to see a film (35 or 70) in the Pantages. The Egyptian seems to have an excellent film program, but it isn’t the movie palace history tells us it was. The Pantages is still a movie palace with lots of glamour.

JSA
JSA on July 3, 2006 at 9:47 pm

Thanks William! It’s good to know that the theater has 70 mm capability. One can only hope that someday the general public may enjoy a few 70 mm presentations at the theatre.

Regards,
JSA

William
William on July 3, 2006 at 2:40 pm

Michael’s right to a point. Yes that was the last legit 70MM engagement open to the public at that theatre. But the 70MM equipment was removed when the theatre went to stage only shows in the late 70’s. During the early 90’s the theatre was re-equipped to run 70MM again. During that time of the reinstall we ran a few titles after hours. The reinstall was to re-equip the theatre only for future use. The after hours screenings were for tech work and not open to the public. But it was fun to run that booth one last time.

JSA
JSA on July 3, 2006 at 2:15 pm

Thank you Michael. Shortly after I posted my question, I searched in the “from script to dvd” site, and found my answer!

It is interesting to note that the Egyptian ran a 70 mm engagement of “Tora! Tora! Tora!” the following year (1971) as well.

JSA

Coate
Coate on July 2, 2006 at 3:01 pm

“Tora! Tora! Tora!” (late 1970/early 1971).

JSA
JSA on June 28, 2006 at 12:57 pm

William: When was the last time 70 mm was run at the Pantages?

William
William on June 28, 2006 at 7:57 am

Chris don’t forget the Pantages Theatre.

segask
segask on June 11, 2006 at 6:26 pm

does anyone know how wide the original screen was back before those columns of the proscenium were demolished to make way for the D-150 screen?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on June 5, 2006 at 7:01 pm

Here is an interesting article about the Egyptian:

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on May 15, 2006 at 12:39 pm

While I appreciate what the Cinematheque is doing at this theatre to preserve classic cinema, I must say (as I’ve already said in other places around this website) that this theatre has no business hosting a 70MM film festival! I’ve been to a couple of 70MM film screenings here since the Cinematheque took over (My Fair Lady, Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia) and was very disappointed. here Only 2 theatres in Hollywood have the skills to run 70MM as it was originally intended: The Dome and the Chinese.

SpikeSpiegel6262044
SpikeSpiegel6262044 on April 3, 2006 at 5:13 pm

Pretty theater, I like! I was wondering if the premiere of
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust was shown here?