Syosset Triplex

565 Jericho Turnpike,
Syosset, NY 11791

RobertR on September 16, 2004 at 10:55 pm

The old lady went to the D-150 when this theatre closed.

RonMotta on September 16, 2004 at 10:45 pm

Unfortunately, it wasn’t even converted. I never realized that there was so much space there, because the theater was on this little hill that they completely leveled. I also remember the theater was run by this tough but nice old lady. My wife’s cousin worked there as an usher (long before I ever met my wife).

I always wanted to buy an old movie theater (I was thinking about the Whitman until, well, you know…) and convert it into a 2nd-run house, but a COOL 2nd-run house, with midnight showings and events and stuff like that. Back in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s, going to the movies used to be an event. Now, it' sjust there.

My friend Pab ended up buying what is now the DeMarco Cinemas in Vineland, NJ. It’s currently struggling, so show him some love (you can Google it on the web). I’ll let him know about this site and hopefully get him to post something on here.

moviebluedog on September 16, 2004 at 1:52 am

Very well put, Capt. Ron LI. That must’ve been such a treat to see the “Star Wars” Trilogy in 70mm there.

This theater was a class-act and ran a lot of roadshows during the ‘50s and '60s.

There’s an old UA in Buena Park, CA that was converted to retail space. It was a fine theater for about three years after it opened, with 70mm/THX Sound capability. It went downhill after that. As with many UA theaters, it was eventually closed. Now, you can still see where the old large auditoriums were inside of the store. Though it wasn’t the greatest theater in the world, its presentation was impressive and I have a lot of great memories there. It’s odd to see clothing racks sitting where I saw “Aliens” and “Robocop.”

RobertR on September 15, 2004 at 9:40 pm

I could not agree more, I drive in from Queens to go to the Manhasset or Squire because they still have the feeling of days gone bye. The Syosset was a class house all the way.

RonMotta on September 15, 2004 at 8:17 pm

“The day they knocked down the Pally, my sister stood and cried.
The day they knocked down the Pally, part of her childhood died."
—the Kinks, "Come Dancing”

I remember moving to Syosset at the age of 9 in 1981, about two or three years before they converted the Syosset into a triplex. The last movie they played there before the conversion was “Superman III”, I believe. I also remember seeing a triple-bill of the “Star Wars” trilogy there. My Dad was ready to kill me for dragging him to six hours of “Star Wars.”

This was such a huge part of growing up. Me and my best friends went there all the time, either just to hang out during the summer or, in high school, on dates. Saw a lot of great movies there (“Poltergeist”, “Batman”, “When Harry Met Sally”) and some not-so-great movies (“Cobra”). It was located perfectly next to McDonald’s and within walking distance of Syosset House diner and Carvel, perfect for carless teens.

When they closed the place down, I felt just like that Kinks song. It really felt like a huge part of my childhood was gone. As a result, I have refused to set foot in the retail space that now festers there on principle. It also increased my hatred of souless, anticeptic multiplexes. I’d much rather go out of my way to the Babylon Triplex, one of the last vestiges of the old-school movie theaters than to the zillion-screen megaplex off the highway.

nhpbob on November 15, 2003 at 11:17 pm

As an addendum to that last statement…i meant driving by on Jericho Turnpike, not the World Trade Center site. (A totally different version of wincing…)

nhpbob on November 15, 2003 at 11:16 pm

Ah man….memories of seeing great films on that LARGE screen: “Alien”, “Monty Python’s The Meaning Of Life”, “Pink Floyd: The Wall”, “Outland”, “The Killing Fields”, “The Shining”…and years before those films, a school bus trip to see a matinee of “Godspell” (an underrated musical that shows an empty Manhattan thru much of the film…and a then-brand new World Trade Center still unfinished, with the end of a song on top of the first finished tower!)

I wince every time i drive by….

AndrewLerner on November 15, 2003 at 6:33 pm

This modern palace used to be where exclusive engagements for Long Island were shown before the “150”. The parking lot was tremendous It was near Lollipop farm, which is now David Lerner and Associates. After being vacant for years, the Office Depot, which had replaced the theater, was doubled in footprint and stories. Its now a mini-mall palace. The two anchor stores are a Marshal’s Mega-store and a Petco, which used to be in Hicksville.

richarddziadzio on December 26, 2002 at 4:22 pm

This theatre had 3 projector Cinerama in the early 60’s. The Able and Charly booths were built into the outside walls sticking out over the walkways. I saw GONE WITH THE WIND in 70MM IN 1968. I believe the theatre had private press showings of MAD MAD WORLD IN 70MM IN 1963 before the WARNER CINERAMA IN NYC had been renovated for the No. 1963 opening.

philipgoldberg on December 3, 2002 at 9:36 pm

I believe an Office Depot was opened on the former site of the theater, yet when I drove past the place last April, the store had gone out of business and the space was for rent.