Meserole Theatre

723 Manhattan Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11222

PKoch
PKoch on February 26, 2007 at 5:30 pm

Thanks, Anniegirl. I never knew the RKO Greenpoint existed. It was fun learning about it. It was not far from the Meserole, the Chopin, the southeastern corner of Manhattan Avenue and Calyer St., where a friend of mine from high school lived, or from Calyer St. itself, where another h.s. friend of mine lived.

The marquee and entrance on Manhattan Avenue seem very small compared to the theater itself.

auntannie
auntannie on February 26, 2007 at 5:09 pm

Yes PKoch go to status look for Closed and Demolished scroll down to RKO Greenpoint Brooklyn. Anniegirl

PKoch
PKoch on February 26, 2007 at 4:43 pm

Anniegirl, where was the RKO Greenpoint ? Does it have a page on this site ?

auntannie
auntannie on February 25, 2007 at 1:30 pm

Dear Warren, I do not remember the Meserole being closed for any period of time in the 50’s, but I do remember going to the RKO Greenpoint with my Aunt’s when I was a kid in the 50’s. So It could have happened. It’s a mystery to me…….Anniegirl

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 25, 2007 at 12:00 pm

Did the Meserole have a period of closure in the 1950s? I couldn’t find it advertised circa 1955, though other Randforce theatres were. Perhaps it was being renovated, or shuttered temporarily waiting for patrons to lose interest in their home TVs.

auntannie
auntannie on February 24, 2007 at 10:41 pm

Yep PKOCH My Husband worked for that company until we moved to Long Island. He had many a good customers. At one point he was a owner-operator. It was a good company and very safe.Bway and Warren are very up on the Theater Circut information. Anniegirl

PKoch
PKoch on February 22, 2007 at 8:48 pm

You’re welcome, anniegirl. I think the phone # for the Forest Hills location of Four Ones was, and still is, (718) 441-1111. For Ridgewood, it was (718) 456-1111.

Bway is also very knowledgable about the LIRR in NYC.

auntannie
auntannie on February 22, 2007 at 6:54 pm

Dear Koch My Husband worked for the Forest Hills location of Four Ones.. Thanks for the information on the LIRR station anniegirl

PKoch
PKoch on February 21, 2007 at 2:43 pm

Yes. The last day of operation on the Rockaway Line, from Ozone Park, to Penn Station, Manhattan, was June 11, 1962.

Bway
Bway on February 21, 2007 at 1:05 pm

The Parkside LIRR station closed in 1962.

PKoch
PKoch on February 21, 2007 at 12:12 pm

Anniegirl :

The station was on the same level as the tracks, just north of Metropolitan Avenue (going towards Yellowstone Blvd.) one wooden platform on each side.

My parents and I used Four Ones Car Service when we lived in Ridgewood, until October 1999. Also Lindy’s.

auntannie
auntannie on February 21, 2007 at 11:49 am

Dear pkoch..My Husband used to work for Four Ones Car Service and we used to pass under the LIRR station all the time. I did not know that there was station under there..It’s great history. there is a Mall there now it is so congested by the Car Wash Area in the back..Anniegirl

PKoch
PKoch on February 20, 2007 at 5:18 pm

KarenN, please go see “Hannibal Rising” for me. Thanks.

The “Parkside” station of the LIRR Rockaway Line, now abandoned, used to be right near where Woodhaven Lanes is now. Go to the page for the Cinemart Theater, # 4615, click on the last link provided by Lost Memory. Scroll down to the picture of the RR overpass with the sign for the “brushless” car wash. The “Parkside” station was once just to the left (north) of that sign. The overpass is the abandoned Rockaway Line.

Bway will back me up on this.

Bway
Bway on February 17, 2007 at 6:53 pm

Yeah, the phrarmacy is right under the balcony. The cashiers are in the old lobby area. You can actually still feel the flow of the theater walking in, through the lobby, inner lobby area (although doors gone), and then entrance into the theater. They did an outstanding job.

rdittus
rdittus on February 17, 2007 at 6:07 pm

OK. I’ll make a couple of corrections to my previous post – The pharmacy counter is where the concession stand was (under the balcony) and the cahsiers are in the long hallway from the ticket booth to the concession area. The ceiling, the screen, and some of the metal trim are still obvious, as well as various aspects of the exterior. I give them a lot of credit for not just bulldozing or renovating beyond all recognition.

rdittus
rdittus on February 17, 2007 at 1:53 pm

I’m on my way to Eckerds – in the Meserole Theater. I do appreciate that there is enough of the old theater that is still recognizable, right down to the Eckerd promo shots shown on the old screen and the cashiers in the old concession area.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on February 17, 2007 at 12:57 pm

Fox Meserole was a relatively brief name for this theatre. It was originally the S&S Meserole (built by Small & Strausberg), and for most of its life the Randfoce Meserole. I don’t know if it was still operating as a cinema by the time that the Randforce circuit name was retired in favor of United Artists Theatres.

Bway
Bway on February 17, 2007 at 12:28 pm

Bob Diamond’s trolley is dead. The whole thing came to a crashing halt, and not a nice crash either. The whole thing was shrouded in controversy, and the trolleys I believe were haulded off in defalt or something. The whole thing was a mess. Not a pretty sight. Too bad.

rdittus
rdittus on February 17, 2007 at 10:51 am

I never got to take Bob Diamond’s Atlantic Avenue tunnel tour but I did take his trolley ride in 1994. My daughter (who was 2) even got her picture in the paper for being the youngest rider. I haven’t heard anything about him in years. I hope that all the red tape didn’t frustrate him to give up.

Bway
Bway on February 17, 2007 at 10:38 am

Ooops. Wrong Bowling Alley! I remember now the sign saying “Van Wyck lanes”.

KarenNieves
KarenNieves on February 17, 2007 at 1:31 am

That is a great site, it has information on the Atlantic Avenue Tunnel. Has anyone heard about the Lost Atlantic Avenue Tunnel. Bob Diamond rediscovered the tunnel around 1980 and it is rumored that a locomotive is still behind the wall of the tunnel. Bob Diamond used to give tours of the tunnel. In 1995, I was lucky enough to take the tour with my sister. Unfortunately, he is not allowed to give the tours anymore and I don’t know if the MTA has dug through the tunnel to see if the train is there..

Check the links below:

rdittus
rdittus on February 17, 2007 at 12:56 am

Great picture even if it is Van Wyck and not Woodhaven. I may need to spend some time at that site too.

michelemarie
michelemarie on February 17, 2007 at 12:48 am

Bway,See Bob D’s answer. He is correct.Anniegirl

KarenNieves
KarenNieves on February 17, 2007 at 12:18 am

Woodhaven Lanes is considered located in Glendale Queens. You can take the E train to 71st & Continental -Forest Hills or take the M train to Metropolitan Avenue-Middle Village and take the Q54 Bus to Metropolitan Ave. and Woodhaven Blvd or drive. A couple years back there was talk that they were closing down but it never happened. They are always packed so I know they won’t be closing anytime soon.

Links to Woodhaven Lanes:

PKoch, microwave popcorn and movies on demand seems more and more appealing. By the way I am planning on going to the movies next week any good movies you guys could recommend..

rdittus
rdittus on February 16, 2007 at 9:48 pm

The train that you show is the “J” train at the station on Metropolitan and Jamaica Avenues. That would be in front of the Van Wyck Bowling alley, where I bowled in a league while I was in high school. They finally built the Archer Avenue extension, and I think they finally tore that part of the line down and put a stop underground. By Woodhaven Lanes, there is some unused LIRR tracks that are heavilly overgrown but not torn down. There is now a Sports Authority and Home Depot right next to it, maybe where that multiplex was going to go, although there is still an abandoned factory there that looks like a candidate for bulldozing.