Radio City Music Hall

1260 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 126 - 150 of 3,422 comments

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on September 9, 2013 at 1:54 pm

A “teaser” ad in yesterday’s New York Times said that full details of the March 2014 presentation will be announced on September 29th (apparently in the NYT on that date, which is a Sunday).

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 9, 2013 at 11:22 am

The Hall’s own website does have a dedicated page for the new show – which the site page seems to refer to as the “Spring Show.” Right now, there’s little more than a form for one to leave their email address and cell phone, to be notified at some future date, once details regarding the show are made public. I presume we’ll find out ticket prices at that time.

I agree with NewYorker64, that the prices will likely be less than those for the Christmas Spectacular, but I’m not sure the difference will be quite as significant as 30-40%.

NewYorker64
NewYorker64 on September 9, 2013 at 10:14 am

LOL. That site is a ticket brokerage, so they’re a bit inflated… just a bit(!). I suspect actual prices direct through RCMH will be 30%-40% off the Christmas show $$$.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 9, 2013 at 9:52 am

I just checked ticket prices — Zone A (up front) are only $651. each.

Put me down for two!

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on September 9, 2013 at 6:24 am

“Hearts and Lights,” a new stage spectacular starring the Rockettes in a tribute to New York City, will start previews at RCMH on March 27th, 2014, and run officially from April 4th through May 4th. Here are details: newyorkcitytheatre

Vito
Vito on August 23, 2013 at 12:48 am

Thanks for the update rcdt55b please keep us informed. It’s comforting to think that with film pretty much toast that the Hall would find use for it. Not surprised projector#5 wont be put back since you still have 4

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on August 22, 2013 at 8:58 pm

The United States is not the world.

There is no online video market in China, India, Russia or any of the biggest movie-going markets in the world. Americans need to stop thinking this is 1949 and television is a problem. It’s just no longer about us.

StanleyNorton
StanleyNorton on August 22, 2013 at 8:46 pm

For me there was nothing grander than seeing a movie at Radio City with a stage show. In an earlier post I said it seemed movies were on their last legs IN THEATRES. Even Spielberg and Lucas admitted as much: “Mr. Lucas predicted that blockbusters would eventually become big-ticket events, like ballgames and Broadway plays, and that the rest of the movie business would migrate to online video — a trend that’s already begun to happen. Mr. Spielberg offered a more radical vision. At a time of ubiquitous screens — video, movie and computer — he predicted an end to on-screen entertainment. Instead, he said he thought we’d have a kind of enveloping, wraparound entertainment.” NYtimes

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on August 22, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Projector 5 will not be going back into place. We still have 4 other good ones so I think we’re okay. They do show the booth on the tours but they stay outside the doorway of the booth. It’s funny hearing some of the tour guide talk about the booth and projection. Most of them are very accurate, but some of them have no idea what they’re talking about.

As far as future projection goes, there are no upcoming movies. We did however do some extensive film testing for the upcoming “spring” show. There is a very good chance that we will be using film for it. Digital projectors will also be used.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 22, 2013 at 8:22 am

I was watching “Born Yesterday” last night and Judy Holiday said while visiting the National Gallery that it was fancier than the Radio City Music Hall… I had to smile and think of you guys!

Vito
Vito on August 22, 2013 at 7:39 am

Your lips to Gods ears Bill

Mark/rcdt55b do they still have the tours and show the booth as part of that?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 22, 2013 at 7:21 am

rcdt55b: I guess you can’t be more specific yet, but I hope you meant the Music Hall will soon be showing an actual movie again, and not just something projected for the Christmas show. Looking forward to the answer!

markp
markp on August 22, 2013 at 6:42 am

Hi Vito. My wife will be going back to the hall to work on the Christmas show again this year. Sure wish someday I could get to see this booth, but I know it will probably never happen. My movie days were over as of May. Digital you know, put me out of work. It sounds as if those projectors at the hall might be getting a workout soon. Lets hope…..

Vito
Vito on August 22, 2013 at 1:16 am

Mark movies will never die just the film we used to project them.

rcdtrrb you made my day with that comment please please keep us informed on what is going on. Did you ever put that 5th projector back removed for the digital effect projector?

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on August 21, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Hey Vito. Don’t worry about the old projectors. We don’t cover them anymore. In fact, we started fixing up the 2 that haven’t been used for a long time. Looks like we may be using them soon……..

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on August 21, 2013 at 7:28 am

Movies on their last legs? Haven’t we heard that before? With record grosses world wide, a misstep with American audiences this summer is hardly a tragedy. We are simply no longer the major market for the industry. And you couldn’t near the theatres on 42nd street this past weekend with mobs crowding into mediocre titles.

Vito
Vito on August 21, 2013 at 2:21 am

Very good point Stanley well said. Of course those of us who go way back miss the movies at the Hall but it’s just not possible anymore. When I think of those projectors all covered in plastic it can be sad to accept. But the Music Hall lives and that is the important thing

StanleyNorton
StanleyNorton on August 20, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Americas Got Talent has been a wonderful commercial for RCMH and what I think is so great is that Samuel Rothaphel’s original idea for this theatre has comes full circle. He designed the theatre as a “music hall” with acts of singers, choral groups, acrobats, dancers, comedians — and today that idea was fulfilled on the “Great Stage” with this TV show. Radio City Music Hall was never intended to be a movie theatre. And as you know Roxy’s “music hall” idea died without movies which were, at the time, the most popular entertainment of that day. So movies were put in with a stage show and it became the most successful theatre in history. Now, movies in theatres seem to be on their last legs and here is Radio City Music Hall doing what Roxy wanted it to be.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on August 15, 2013 at 7:16 am

I didn’t intend it as an “anniversary” post and never used that word. A friend happened to send me a copy of the ad, and I decided to post it as one of the “true” classic movies that had their world premieres at RCMH.

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on August 14, 2013 at 7:08 pm

What’s so significant about a 71st anniversary? Big celebrations are usually reserved for 25th, 50th, 75th and 100th.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 13, 2013 at 10:12 am

Spoiler alert. ..his mom gets shot.

Coate
Coate on August 13, 2013 at 8:41 am

Seventy-one? Hypocrite!

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on August 13, 2013 at 7:06 am

Seventy-one years ago today, Walt Disney’s animated “Bambi,” described as “a miracle of Technicolor beauty,” opened its world premiere engagement at RCMH. The stage revue, “Dear Diary,” climaxed with a spectacular wedding scene with the 36 Rockettes as high-kicking bridesmaids.

Vito
Vito on August 8, 2013 at 1:23 am

NYer I appreciate what you wrote I need to accept change and be happy we still have the “Grande Dame”, as you wrote we almost lost her. I just like the Hall to stay as it was and seeing it now I get nervous we will loose the charm of the original but since this is only temporary In will try and be more accepting. Thanks again for your response to my rant I guess I needed that.