Regency Bruin Theatre

948 Broxton Avenue,
Los Angeles, CA 90024

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 30, 2005 at 7:08 pm

Here is a photo of the Bruin Theater.

suller
suller on September 14, 2005 at 11:59 pm

I am currently the union projectionist/engineer for The Mann Bruin, Westwood, and other Mann theatres in the Westwood area. I have been here since april 2003. The Bruin is still a first run theatre, and is often used as “overflow house” for the big premieres across the street at The Village. It is also still host of its own premieres. The last one was Dreamworks’ Red Eye in August 2005. I am very interested in any pictures or film shot at The Bruin over the years. Please let me know….

webfox
webfox on May 20, 2005 at 1:48 am

I worked as projectionist at the Bruin from 1975 until 1997. I ran some great films there, lots of premiers.“All the President’s Men” was the first premier I worked. Quite often, I would meet celebs there. Biggies I remember were “Terms of Endearment” played there exclusive for several months.As William (above)wrote, The Bruin installed 70mm in 1978. I was working there at the time and worked on the installation of the Norelco AAII Projectors. As he said “Capricorn One” was the 1st of many 70mm pix to play there.Some of the HUGE Boxoffice pix in 70mm were “Road Warrior” Blade Runner"
I have pictures of many of the marquees, as well as pix of the projection installation. I also made a short comedy film called “Walk-In' at the Bruin and used theatre staff to play customers. People still laugh when I run this film. Soon hope to make this available on DVD. Anyone interested?

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on March 22, 2005 at 1:39 pm

The photo posted by J.F. Lundy above has “Boy Meets Girl” playing on the marquee which dates it at 1938, a year after the Bruin opened.

scooty
scooty on August 6, 2004 at 6:37 am

Like Westwood itself, the Bruin is in need of a makeover inside.

jflundy
jflundy on July 19, 2004 at 12:10 am

Here is an opening year photo at this link:

genordell
genordell on July 13, 2004 at 11:07 pm

Mann altered their website, official webpage / showtimes now at

edward
edward on March 19, 2004 at 8:03 am

Website for Mann’s Premiere Theatres:

William
William on February 12, 2002 at 6:37 pm

The Bruin became a 70mm house in 1978. The first film to play in 70mm was “Capricorn One” from Warner Bros.. The two Norelco AAII projectors came from the Carthay Circle theatre. The #2 machine head was changed out in the early 90’s.

BHousos
BHousos on January 16, 2002 at 3:18 am

Correction: The Bruin opened in 1937. Architect was S. Charles Lee.

AdamGarrie
AdamGarrie on September 29, 2001 at 5:42 am

This theatre was built in 1931 the same year as the larger Village across the street. It was as well a Fox West Coast Theatre. In the 70’s it became a 70mm theatre and is state of the art today.