Marbro Theatre

4110 W. Madison Street,
Chicago, IL 60624

Scrabble
Scrabble on October 14, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Thanks again. Very interesting — I used the google street view and saw Church’s Chicken, Payless Shoes, and Al’s Beef. Now I have to check out your latest link with a pdf map.

OeOeO
OeOeO on October 14, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Btw. Here is a link to Jazz Age Chicago with info on the Madison Crawford area. It includes a pdf map from 1950

OeOeO
OeOeO on October 14, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Before you decide to take a physical tour I recommend you take a virtual tour with google street view.
To access click on MAP, to the right of the theater address at the top of the page. Then either,
A. Click on the balloon with the A in it, then click enter streetview.
or
B. Click and hold on the little orange man figure (left on the map) and drag him to any blue bordered street.
Directions for using streetview are at this link,

Scrabble
Scrabble on October 14, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Oeoeo: I just looked again at the pictures you were kind enough to provide thru the link, and really enjoyed looking at them. Thanks so much for posting for us. I wonder how it would look to drive over there today — maybe one Sunday afternoon, I will take a ride and head over that way (it will be a long drive, but I’m sure it would be very interesting none-the-less). It almost seems like yesterday that my Mom would take us into Goldblatt’s at Madison and Pulaski or the Robert Hall Clothing Store on Madison, just east of Pulaski. Also, I recall the Library on the east side of Pulaski which was south of Madison. Have a great day now!

BobbyS on October 12, 2010 at 1:46 am

Nor to me Scott.. Who wants to go and see glass towers that resemble one another or row houses that look like cardboard. I wonder how they would reclaim Lake St. around Pulaski? or for that matter Madison St. and Pulaski. I think Lake St. is even worse. How are you going to make the population re-locate in order to build the new buildings? Maybe they are waiting for Socialism to take root where all housing will be paid for by the government. We’ll see after Nov 2nd where this is heading!!!!

BobbyS on September 22, 2010 at 2:26 am

I was talking with a developer and said that in 50 years, most of the neigborhoods will be leveled in Chicago and new neigborhoods will be rising. Could be. I was on Madison St. in the near West Loop around Racine and I couldn'e believe how trendy and modern it looked. New stores, alot of townhomes, shops and eateries. After Racine and the Chicago Stadium it is as we recall and talked about before. So maybe there is hope. When I see it, I will believe it. Even though I will not be around for sure.

BobbyS on September 17, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Wouldn’t it be wonderful to go back when it was great. The only way to do that today is in our memory. What I really miss is the way people treated each other with respect and all the glory those days meant to me. Thanks gang!!!

Scrabble
Scrabble on September 16, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Thanks, OeOeO. What interesting photos — golly, they brought back a flood of memories. Have a great day.

OeOeO
OeOeO on September 16, 2010 at 5:19 am

Actually there are three photos, one is from the sixties and looks like the Marbro is closed.

OeOeO
OeOeO on September 16, 2010 at 5:15 am

There are two shots of the Marbro in the 30s at this link.

BobbyS on September 14, 2010 at 12:08 am

Thanks for map info. I pased there a couple of years ago when
the Eisenhower was jammed. Hard to believe it was the same place. Everybody that we knew DID NOT want to move. We were sorta forced too. We had neighbors that were wonderful. Jewish, Irish, Italians and others. We all got along fine and visited each other’s homes and had different foods of different countries. When we got to the suburbs it was nothing like that. Of course times were different also. As I said in a different posting, it seemed Chicago didn’t mind the neighborhood changing and I would like to know why? Didn't
the alderman & commiteemen want to keep their jobs and the city losing all the sales tax? Nobody enforced any laws on the books.

OeOeO
OeOeO on September 12, 2010 at 10:15 pm

FYI to see what the area looks like recently, click on MAP next to the theater address at the top of these pages. Then either click on the balloon and the click on STREET VIEW. Or drag the little orange man figure on the left side of the map to any blue bordered street.
(The blue bordered streets are where Google sent their Camera Cars).

You can rotate the view 360 degrees and tilt the views to see the tops of taller structures. To amble up and down streets either use the street arrows on the picture part or drag the little orange man on the map part.
Google has a lot of America covered and increasing numbers of overseas places.
A great way for a cheap (and sometimes safe) tour, especially down memory lane.

BobbyS on September 1, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Scott, I remember the sign being rather large for Peter Pan with
alot of neon lettering. I thought it was next to our Marbro, but I could be wrong. Could have been across the street. I was “too busy"
starring at the glorious marquee most of the time. But I do remember
those hamburgers and thw waitresses wore uniforms with little peter pan collars. That I do remember. They also had a wonderful shirt steak and great french fries. With all the candy at the shows and real butter on the gallons of popcorn I have consumed in my lifetime and all the richness of the many ice creams, I am amazed I am still alive!!! Walking daily and exercising and counting calories does have its merits.

Scrabble, what an experience you had that day! Your mother must have
been mortified. Scott is right, it was all down hill from there for poor old Garfield Park.

BobbyS on August 31, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Peter Pan was west of Pulaski Rd. and I can remember it being in the white building next to the Marbro. I kinda remembering walking
out of one door into the next. It was definitely on the north side of Madison St. Their hamburgers were large and juicy! The building is
still there. So you were a bowler Scott. My grandfather used to go there. Do you still play? Thanks Scrabbie for imput.

Scrabble
Scrabble on August 31, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I think the only restaurant I remember at Madison and Pulaski was ‘Good Food’ and those are memories which I would like to forget as a terrible fight broke out there after my Mom took my two sisters and I there for a bite to eat after we left the Marlboro Theatre (where we saw the Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason movie about pool). We were actually trembling and shaking as we ran for our lives out of the restaurant and fortunately for us my Mom was able to hail a taxi cab and we made it safely back home. We later learned that one of the workers in the restaurant had his ear cut off.

BobbyS on August 31, 2010 at 12:11 am

Does anyone remember the Peter Pan restaurant near the Marbro.
They had one of the best hamburgers I ever had. I believe it was a local chain. I know they had one near Harlem and North Ave. Of course I found myself at the Mercury theatre nearby. I spend half my childhood years in one movie theatre or another

BobbyS on August 28, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Scott, the building is owned by Bank of America and I don’t know who is putting on the films. It was Chuck Shaden some 30 years ago. Lasalle bank(former ownwers) continued the policy for good advertising. It is the oldest continuing classic film presentation
in Chicago area. They have a great loyal crowd who seems to know everythere there. But these are tough times here and cost-cutting is the name of the game. We shall see. The films are usually first-class prints and tbey have a great projection. I’ll keep you informed. If you want to help, please call Bank of America at
773 777-7200 or 773 777 7700 and tell them they should keep this valuable series. That goes for anyone out there too who are interested in clasic films and the theaters that presented them.

BobbyS on August 24, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Scott, It really isn’t a theater theater. More like an auditorium.
But it does have drapes a large screen, great sound, and a wonderful
billing. Usually a cartoon, short and then the feature. The man who does the programming also does facets theater on the north side.
The area has too amny branches since BOA bought alot of them and there is no need for all the counters for tellers. Maybe the Patio might take up the slack if the cinema closes. The only reason the building is open is for the cinema on Sat nights. They have a contract thru Dec 2010. But I think they would like to close it immediately; electricity, insurance etc. A very large parking lot sits behind the building. Only trouble is real estate has taken a dive here in Chicago and is real grim to say the least!

BobbyS on August 23, 2010 at 11:36 pm

I am trying to learn how to copy a picture of the Tiffin for Scott and Scrabbie and put it here. Glad to see you are back Scott. I thought maybe you were ill. I like our “chats”. Never been to the Plaza and never heard of it. I’ll ask my good friend who knows every
theater in Chicago a then some and has scores and scores of picture
books and details. I just heard that Bank of America wants to “pull
the plug” of their classic cinema series on Sat nights. It is on Irving Pk. near Cicero. Ever been there? Nice 500 seat theater built on the second floor. Building and parking lot for sale. Opened over 30 years ago as Northwest Federal Savings with Chuck Shaden.

Scrabble
Scrabble on August 22, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Interesting comments about a cell phone being a small device. I just purchased a new Tracfone and yesterday I received a family photo from Florida and the people are so tiny that I can barely make them out. Commenting on theatres, I loved the buttered popcorn and this was a highlight for me. Does anyone remember the Plaza Theatre near North and Sedgwick Street — this is where my Mom took me when I was a child and then later on we moved to North and Pulaski in Chicago and we saw many movies at the Tiffin Theatre. Lots of fond memories for sure. This is a wonderful site and I hope everyone has a great day!

BobbyS on August 16, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Scott, I thought the same thing too. Lots of cops walking the beat in the 20’s. Maybe no one looked up. He said lots of kids did it in all the buildings going on then. He said the dome changed colors when the Marbro opened. Anyone remember the Will Rodgers Theatre?
Belmont and Central. We had relatives there also and you guessed it,
they put us all in the show on a sat or sun to watch a movie or two and drown ourselves in popcorn and candy. I remember riding home with a tummy ache in the car. I am glad there wasn’t anything like cell phones or watching a dvd on a gadget in the back of the auto.
I wouldn’t have missed seeing all those movie palaces for anything!!!!

BobbyS on August 11, 2010 at 1:07 am

Scott, my dad and uncle were daring guys. I don’t know if the parents ever knew about that at the time, but I did remember them speaking about it years later. I asked how did you get up there? They said the scaffold and ladders were all in place when the workers went home for the night. All they did was climb them. Not only were they in the dome, but in the oval cut-outs just at the top of the facade. They would play “cops & robbers”. I said weren’t you afraid coming down especially if the sun was setting. They said it never bothered them. Good training for the army years later I bet.
Can you image on a resume: Climbing the Marbro Theater in Chicago!

BobbyS on August 10, 2010 at 12:57 am

Scott, my grandmother was sort of a prude you might say, She probably
knew of Sophie from the newspapers and of course no tv. I have no idea if she ever heard a record or two. Maybe they went there for the film and the stage show happened to have her on bill. I remembered the story. Also living two blocks from the Marbro, my dad told me he and his older brother watched it being built in the 20’s and even climbed up the building when the workers left and played in the dome on top of the facade. One can only imagine the joy to the neighborhood when all this excitement and fun came to Madison St.

BobbyS on August 6, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Probably the most sad of all, our beautiful Paradise didn’t even last 30 years. I remembered when I told you my dad and his brothers went opening week, his mother and her daughters went to the Marbro to see Sophie Tucker. My Grandmother hated it. They had to sit high up in the balcony because the place was packed. She came out in a red dress with red feathers and started to “revolve” her hips and sing suggestive songs according to Granny. She was appalled. Imagine back in ‘28 & 29" both of these two palaces were packed up to the top!