AMC Rockaway 16

363 Mount Hope Avenue,
Rockaway, NJ 07866

Showing 151 - 175 of 1,502 comments

moviebuff82 on February 1, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I know alpinedownhiller. I can stand loud noises in the theater by the surround sound even if there’s babies crying during quiet scenes. AMC should consider lowering the volume in the IMAX screen so that there are no rumblings next to the restroom or an earthquake could happen ala sensurround. Also, AMC needs to make their seats more comfortable and the armrests more plushy ala Garden State 16.

alpinedownhiller
alpinedownhiller on February 1, 2012 at 5:27 am

Has anyone noticed how insanely loud they have the volume set in some of the screens?

Most of all now the IMAX #8 is pumped up to insane levels now,it was always incredibly loud but now it seems even louder. So over the top I had to get ear plugs and even with full size ear plugs that make even a rock concert sound not all that loud I could still even the quietest whisper of dialogue without even a strain. I even tested holding my ears for a second on top of full size ear plugs and I could still hear characters whispering at the quietest moments with ease. Even with ear plugs most of the loud parts still made my ears bleed. Insane. I know the theaters are desperate to bring people in and give an experience you can’t get in the home but there is no way those levels can’t be causing permanent hearing damage even over just a short two hour movie, even with ear plugs, at those levels since they don’t block all frequencies all that well I don’t think it can be good.

Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol had over the top volume there and Underworld was actually even turned up louder yet in screen #8.

Even the bathroom a couple screens down rumbles and you can sometimes hear the IMAX #8 audio in it now.

I should also say that people sometimes say I play movies at home too loudly too so if I think the volume at theaters is getting out of control I think it is getting out of control.

moviebuff82 on January 25, 2012 at 8:09 pm

3D movies upcoming…. Star Wars Episode I 3D and Journey 2 3D (IMAX, RealD)-February 10 Ghost Rider 2 3D- February 17

moviebuff82 on January 25, 2012 at 8:06 pm

As expected, in addition to the new releases opening this weekend, The Artist finally opens at this theater, becoming the first silent movie (albeit with sound effects and music in the digital soundtrack) to be played in this theater.

moviebuff82 on January 24, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Speaking of Hugo, it’s the most nominated movie at this year’s oscars. I’m sure AMC will show the 9 movies next week when AMC Best Picture Showcase returns….

moviebuff82 on January 18, 2012 at 8:01 pm

This weekend, Underworld 3D opens in RealD 3d on one screen, one 2D screen with one showtime, and IMAX 3D on one screen. Hugo is still playing in 3D.PeterAppruze, did you see hugo yet? Have they solved the cropping problem?

moviebuff82 on January 11, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Advance tickets now on sale for “Underworld: Awakening”, the first movie of 2012 to be shot in real 3D, in both Real D and Liemax 3D, as well as Haywire and Red Tails. None of these movies will do well at the box office due to NFL playoffs and other diversions.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on January 4, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I have commented hundreds of times about this so called Theatre Business,Sure, it was a Business when I worked for ABC,PLITT and GCC,However, back then to almost a man,weren’t many ladies managing,they were showmen,We had trained UNION operators,not teenage kids trying to figure out how to lay the candy girl.Moviegoers were treated like moviegoers,Today, sadly only cattle in these monster screen houses,Yep, Glad I got out in 1983.I saw this coming.

moviebuff82 on January 4, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I agree. Many people say that AMC and Regal and Cinemark are like the Big Brothers of movie theater exhibition. AMC for one isn’t publicly traded but will plan an IPO in the near future unless fewer people go to the movies because of issues like this. This is why people are staying home and watching movies on their mobile devices, consoles and bluray players, computers, and cable and sattelite tvs so they can enjoy the theatrical experience at the comfort of their own home.

fred1
fred1 on January 4, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Pete ,thathas been a problem esp. with AMC and Regal. It just laziness of those companies and non expierenced employees

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on January 4, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Let’s hope that this time they get the aspect ratio of Hugo correct. When I went to see it Thanksgiving day it was cropped to ‘scope when it is supposed to be shown at 1.85. Totally ruining the 3-D photography of the best film of 2011. And no one at “Guest Services” understood a thing that I was talking about.

They also need to fix their non-3D auditoriums as Sherlock Holmes in #3 this past weekend was dim since they were running it through the 3-D lenses. And fix that annoying subwoofer boom while they’re at it :)

moviebuff82 on January 4, 2012 at 8:11 pm

This friday, Hugo returns in 3d, tinker tailor soldier spy opens (great reviews), and The Devil Inside opens on two screens, hoping to become the 2012 version of Paranormal Activity. Once again, fewer people will go to the movies this weekend because of nfl playoffs including a big giants game on sunday which will hurt the amc rockaway box office.

moviebuff82 on January 2, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Went to a 10 am showing of Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol, since the IMAX showing was during the afternoon. Movie was good popcorn fun, although I had to sit through too many trailers before the movie began, in addition to the pre-show. I can see where they would show certain scenes in full imax, such as the tower climbing scene and the sandstorm in Dubai. Great soundtrack. My suggestion if you see a long movie, then go to the bathroom before the movie begins as to avoid long lines.

moviebuff82 on December 23, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Last night went to a 7:40 showing of Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. Was not dissapointed. Very entertaining film. Great cinematography, including some shots that were filmed using the Phantom HD camera that looked sharp. The sound was awesome. Lots of great trailers, including the Dark Knight Rises trailer. Only gripe was that there was one guy handling tickets with a long line, and then another cashier came in. They also had a seizure warning card at the box office for the twilight movie, from which I didn’t have any seizures. They also offered free MI:4 small posters, not to mention offering gift cards. Happy festivus and merry xmas and a happy new year next year!!!

moviebuff82 on December 23, 2011 at 5:30 pm

moviebuff82 on December 21, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Today is a big movie day. Tintin is being shown in blown-up Liemax 3D, regular 2D, and real D 3D, Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol is showing in digital 2D (the imax version has 30 minutes of footage, including the famous climb by Tom Snooze over the largest building in the world), and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is being shown in 4k, the 10th film to be mastered at that format, which is a milestone. The next 3D movie to come out is the Darkest Hour, which looks like Ghostbusters meets Aliens. Hopefully people will come back to the theaters as the shopping is done, as the box office has been on a slump the past few weeks. Ticket pricing remains steady.

moviebuff82 on December 21, 2011 at 8:09 pm

moviebuff82 on December 14, 2011 at 11:38 pm

AMC is running a great promotion where if a family buys 3 tickets to Arthur Xmas, Happy Feet Two, Muppets, or Puss in Boots, they get a fourth one for free. Just like movie passes, surcharges do apply (fake IMAX, digital 3D). So much for jolting the weak box office where there’s nothing good to see right now.

moviebuff82 on December 11, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I plan on seeing Hugo 3D tomorrow at this theater, although they’re showing fewer showtimes…btw, I hear that WB will show the Dark Knight Rises trailer before MI IV in IMAX digital. Hopefully it has some IMAX footage. I think MI:4 will make more money than the current IMAX 3D movie Happy Feet two. About 30 minutes of footage was filmed in IMAX for this movie. I wonder how many minutes of footage will be used for Dark Knight Rises?

moviebuff82 on December 7, 2011 at 8:30 pm

BTW, the new Tom Cruise movie will open 5 days before being shown in sharper digital projection in normal theaters. The next 3d movie to come out will be Tintin, which has been out for some time in Europe and enjoying a huge success. I grew up with Tintin from watching the HBO cartoon as well as the 1960’s dubbed series, so hopefully this one is pretty good.

moviebuff82 on December 5, 2011 at 1:54 am

Yup. I hope they improve the IMAX theater’s projection.

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on December 5, 2011 at 1:51 am

STill talking about this AMC theatre..Must be a great place.or the only theatre in town,

moviebuff82 on December 5, 2011 at 1:46 am

Last week on tuesday night went to a screening of “The Muppets” in one of the big auditoriums. It wasn’t that crowded. Presentation was pretty good and the surround sound was awesome. One minor thing that I didn’t like was that were was a crying baby during the show. The Toy Story short was pretty funny.

moviebuff82 on November 27, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Went to see Twilight 4.1 last night at a packed house in Rockaway. The presentation was pretty good for a digital movie, especially the special effects. Sound was great, and the audience behaved great.

moviebuff82 on November 23, 2011 at 9:08 pm

advance tickets are now on sale for several big december releases, including Girl with Dragon Tattoo and War Horse. My Week with Marilyn is now playing, as well as The Descendants, alongside Muppets as well as Hugo in 3D as well as Arthur Xmas in 3D. The next IMAX movie to play will be MI: 4. Some of the scenes in that movie were shot with imax cameras. The trailer for Dark Knight Rises will be shown with Sherlock Holmes 2 the same day that the prologue will be attached to 70mm IMAX prints of MI: GP.