Pacific 1-2-3

6433 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

stevebob
stevebob on March 19, 2008 at 1:56 pm

“This is a church, not a tourist attraction!” I knew that statement rang a bell, and I’d read it right on this site — on the page for the Los Angeles Theater, attributed to Dr. Gene Scott’s widow concerning the United Artists Theatre on Broadway.

Sheesh. Well, what about when a church is in fact a tourist attraction? What’s wrong with that, and why can’t it be accommodated? Magnificent houses of worship all over the world welcome tourists, sometimes even when religious services are being held. And yet the operators of churches within converted movie palaces seem peculiarly protective. I don’t really understand why.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 19, 2008 at 1:47 pm

I’m an atheist. Maybe it shows.

markinthedark
markinthedark on March 19, 2008 at 1:31 pm

I did fine at the Million Dollar Theatre a few years ago

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 19, 2008 at 1:23 pm

I had a similar experience. I went out taking pictures on a Sunday morning and wandered into several theater/churches to check out the interiors. About half the time I was questioned, although I was never asked to leave directly.

markinthedark
markinthedark on March 19, 2008 at 1:14 pm

I wandered into this theatre on Sunday at 1PM to take a peek after their 11AM church service. I got into the main auditorium and was promptly requested to leave by a security guard who said it was a “church today, not a tourist attraction. Shouldn’t anyone be welcomed in a house of worship?? Oh well. Anyways the screen was missing and a cross was hung in front of the exposed speaker ports. There were some people milling about doing various post-service tasks. Ironically there was a small 6-foot screen strung up where the old massive screen used to me. I was fascinated by conversion from an old movie palace into a wide-screen 1960’s palace (my favorite type of theatre), with everything in red. I’ll try to visit again if/when I am back in LA on business with a free Sunday. Hopefully I can get some photos.

EnnisCAdkins
EnnisCAdkins on March 19, 2008 at 12:59 pm

This question is for William as I’m sure he will know. I was fortunate enough to see HOW THE WEST WAS WON when this theatre was part of the old Stanley Warner circuit back in 1963. When the picture first opened, I remember reading an article in one of the LA papers that showed a picture of the theatres CINERAMA screen giving the dimensions as 75w x 26h with a 146 degree curve on a louvered screen. This was the standard CINERAMA spects for screen size.
I must admit that this was the GREATEST presentation I have ever seen in a theatre and it continues to be today.
I recently saw the same picture at the Cinerama Dome and although the presentation was good, there was no comparsion with the old Warner. I read that the Dome has a CINERAMA screen size of 86h x 32h with a 126 degree curve. Maybe the degree curve made the difference. What are your thoughts?

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 29, 2008 at 4:52 pm

I liked the comments, William. Thank you!

William
William on February 29, 2008 at 4:37 pm

Look Howard changed the intro now. I like the way he used some of the comments I made for the theatre.

William
William on February 29, 2008 at 4:15 pm

Where’s Warren when we need him.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 29, 2008 at 4:03 pm

If church services are being held in the theater, even on a part-time basis, I would say that church is the function.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 29, 2008 at 2:48 pm

If you click on the “cineminklings” link on the church website, it looks they have a film group that goes to the Arclight. I guess it really is a church in Hollywood:

William
William on February 29, 2008 at 1:14 pm

The Hollywood Pacific Theatre is owned by Pacific Theatre’s parent company. It’s been up for sale for over 10 years since I closed it.

Hibi
Hibi on February 29, 2008 at 12:19 pm

Are the theaters far apart? (I know the El Capitain is across from the Chinese for instance). I know Hollywood Blvd. is a long street…

markinthedark
markinthedark on February 29, 2008 at 12:04 pm

Does Pacific Theaters own or lease the building still?

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on February 29, 2008 at 12:02 pm

The Warner is on the same side of Hollywood Boulevard as Pantages and the Chinese. It is located west of Pantages going towards the Chinese, but not as far west as the Egyptian on the south side of the Boulevard.

Hibi
Hibi on February 29, 2008 at 11:54 am

Where is the Warner in relation to the Pantages, Chinese and Egyptian on Hollywood Blvd?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 29, 2008 at 11:23 am

I agree. Back to the theater discussion.

markinthedark
markinthedark on February 29, 2008 at 11:20 am

Moderator will probably ask us to stop soon. This is a family friendly site. And we are blogging regarding a theatre that is being used as a church…

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 29, 2008 at 11:16 am

And, depending on the type of theater, the same type of activity may occur in both.

markinthedark
markinthedark on February 29, 2008 at 11:01 am

In essence “restroom enthusiasts” and “cinema enthusiasts” are very similar: one has a “wide stance” and the other likes “wide screens”. They also both spend a lot if time sitting in a place without enough legroom.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 29, 2008 at 10:55 am

I have a wide stance too, I just don’t advertise it.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 29, 2008 at 10:27 am

Ouch. We prefer “cinema enthusiasts”.

markinthedark
markinthedark on February 29, 2008 at 10:06 am

I might have to pop by. I wonder if other theatre geeks will as well. That’s how I saw the inside of the of the Million Dollar Thatre. Wonder if the screen is still up and if the curtain will be opened or closed.

William
William on January 22, 2008 at 1:39 pm

Every time there is a earthquake the whole ceiling tile area gets banged up. When I worked for Pacific Theatres they maintained that theatre very well. That picture is of the right theatre in the complex.