Elmwood Theatre

57-02 Hoffman Drive,
Elmhurst, NY 11373

Heiscallingyou
Heiscallingyou on November 19, 2004 at 8:47 am

e-mail at we can talk mroe there.

Heiscallingyou
Heiscallingyou on November 19, 2004 at 7:38 am

CP, what is your real name? I’m a La Roca Veteran I’m curious to know….

cpinedo
cpinedo on November 18, 2004 at 11:37 am

Marisabel, sorry. I she saw me mistake her name with another ex of mine, she’d hurt me.

cpinedo
cpinedo on November 18, 2004 at 11:30 am

Anyone know my beautiful Colombian ex-girl Maribel? She used to go to La Roca.

cpinedo
cpinedo on November 18, 2004 at 11:29 am

Hola Rockeros. Anyone out there?

cpinedo
cpinedo on November 12, 2004 at 6:47 am

My story in RCC was quite complicated. I was there for several years and experienced when many people came and went. There was a point in my life where I considered them my “family” above my own. I don’t regret taking part in the church and playing a role in their activites, even managing one or two, but over time, as I saw many things that disturbed me mentally and even questioned my faith, I decided that the best thing for me to do was move on to another church where I wouldn’t be as involved, especially in power struggles and internal beliefs that I did not morally agree to.
I have much respect for Pastor Withrow for bringing in people seeking to find themselves and their calling. Despite the negativity that surrounded the church when I left, at least she gave Latinos something to believe in instead of them finding the wrong answers out on the streets of Jackson Heights. Were you at the church during the “basement” times? If so, we most certainly know each other. What is your story at the Rock? Do the CrossRoads cafe still exist? Are there still talent shows going on to bring in the youth? Do you know who are the people who are still there from the basement days? I was quite fond of a few of them and if they are still there, I’d like to know how they’re doing years later.

zoegirl
zoegirl on November 11, 2004 at 9:14 pm

C.P. Pastor Lydia Withrow is in charge of the Queens RCC church. There are still a lot of people in the church that have been around since the “basement” days. I am interested in your story with RCC. They have been renovating the Elmwood. For those interested in the renovation of the Elmwood, they are suppose to open the whole floor back up on December 5, 2004.

RobertR
RobertR on November 11, 2004 at 2:05 pm

In the 70’s the Elmwood, Keiths and Meadows were the big 3 in Queens. Movies like The Godfather opened in these houses to never ending lines. The manager of the RKO Keiths told me for The Godfather the begining of the line met the end all around the block. If anyone has ever been to The Keiths they know how stupendous this was.

cpinedo
cpinedo on November 11, 2004 at 1:02 pm

If anyone else has more information, without me having to actually go there, let me know.

br91975
br91975 on November 11, 2004 at 1:00 pm

I don’t, unfortunately; I Googled them and found only their street address and phone number.

cpinedo
cpinedo on November 11, 2004 at 12:43 pm

I’m glad to see they’re moving up in the world. I remember when they were located at that dinky little basement spot on Roosevelt Ave., although the Crazy chicken people next door used to love them being there. It was so good for business. I guess the Crazy chicken people got fried! in terms of business. Bad joke. I know. Thanks for the feedback. I’m wondering who the pastor is now and which of the old-school members are still there? Would you happen to know this?

br91975
br91975 on November 11, 2004 at 12:33 pm

The Rock Community Church, C.P., has indeed moved into the former Elmwood Theatre space. They don’t have a web site, but they do have an active phone # – 718.651.2950.

cpinedo
cpinedo on November 11, 2004 at 12:19 pm

Is this where the RCC is now located? Interesting. It has been a while since I last heard that name. The Rock Community Church. Do they have a website? If so, I’d be interested in knowing what it is. They are the ones who brought me into the Christian faith and also made me leave; but I’m curious to see how they are doing five years later. If anyone has any information on their website, please post it up. Thanks.

Bway
Bway on October 20, 2004 at 1:27 pm

I remember the Elmwood being quite ornate on the inside. I haven’t been in the theater since 1985 when I saw the last movie I saw in the theater, “Back to the Future”. Part of the fun of the movies was actually looking at all the intricate details before the lights went out, and the movie started.
I am also curious, does this mean they are renovating the Elmwood as a theater? That would sure be good news.

Mikeoaklandpark
Mikeoaklandpark on October 20, 2004 at 12:28 pm

Does this mean the Elmwood is reopening as a theater?

jdeweese
jdeweese on October 20, 2004 at 9:51 am

I’m a reporter working on a story about renovations at the Elmwood and I would love include some people’s memories of what the place was like when the theater was open.

RobertR
RobertR on October 12, 2004 at 1:06 pm

That plan was scrapped along with the plan Loews had that made them let the Elmwood go. That area is soooo congested with traffic, and alot of the Forest Hills crowd wont venture that far when we have the Midway and Cinemart.

Mark1
Mark1 on July 27, 2004 at 8:18 am

When Viva Las Vegas played there, I believe it was Dorothy Kilgallen who commented in her column that she might be witnessing the end of an era, because she noticed that they billed Ann-Margaret over Elvis Presley.

DavidHurlbutt
DavidHurlbutt on July 16, 2004 at 12:30 pm

Too loose or tight, the Trylon is too great great a treasure to lose.

DavidHurlbutt
DavidHurlbutt on July 16, 2004 at 12:27 pm

During the 60s, I lived in Rego Park when the Trylon, Drake and Elmwood were in full operation. They were all maintained with the Elmwood getting the first run films. I remember seeing THE CINNCINATI KID at the Elmwood one afternoon when all of New York was at a stanstill because of the subway strike, and I also remember seeing the ticket seller with lit candle sitting guard in the Drake’s ticket booth the night of the first blackout. I agree the Trylon is too great a treasure too loose.

zoegirl
zoegirl on July 16, 2004 at 9:00 am

The Rock Community Church is trying to restore the Elmwood to its original beauty. They have already installed a new ceiling, and they are going to duplicate the Spanish Castle that is surrounding the stage area. Half of the castle was destroyed due to the lack of maintenance through the years. If anyone has pictures, I am sure they could use them while trying to restore the interior.

RobertR
RobertR on May 14, 2004 at 8:44 am

When Loews bought the Elmwood from Interboro it was still a huge single. The twinning was done around the time of Blue Lagoon. It also was a triplex for awhile If I remember right. I think they split the downstairs in half and left upstairs alone for awhile. The problem was Interboro had long ago painted the whole interior royal blue totally covering up any gilding or ornateness.

Bway
Bway on May 13, 2004 at 8:13 pm

When was the elmwood divided up into four theaters? I had seen a few movies there, the last one back in the mid 80’s was “Back to the Future”. For the life of me, I can’t remember if it already was chopped up. I think I remember it being one theater at that time, but it’s nearly 20 years ago, so really can’t really say for sure.

fred1
fred1 on February 13, 2004 at 3:26 am

the name of the treatre where joeAbbracciamento is was the drake theater
it was seen in howard stern’s private parts