Elmwood Theatre

57-02 Hoffman Drive,
Elmhurst, NY 11373

Bway
Bway on January 19, 2006 at 5:19 am

Good article. I see you are quoted Warren!

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 19, 2006 at 4:19 am

An article about the renovations was published in today’s NY Daily News:
www.nydailynews.com/01-19-2006/boroughs/story/383881p-325879c.html

Bway
Bway on January 16, 2006 at 7:53 am

Ah yes, it could be your browser or the settings on your computer.
When I just leave the pointer over the photos, the location comes up in a little white box.

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on January 16, 2006 at 7:47 am

Warren, I just went to that link and I get the whole page of unidentified photos, with the Elmwood as the fifth one down. Bway, I can’t get that to happen with my mouse. I suspect these differences are probably because I’m on a Mac and using the Safari browser.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 16, 2006 at 7:45 am

Thanks, I can connect to it now. What a difference a comma seems to make!

Bway
Bway on January 16, 2006 at 6:39 am

Warren, here’s the theater link. If you hold the mouse pointer over the photos, without pressing, it will automatically give the address of the location of the theaters:

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 16, 2006 at 3:12 am

Jeffrey, have you been to that link lately? It might have been re-structured since your last visit. I could not bring up a page of theater photos. I could only find the Elmwood photo under the link for Elmhurst. I might be able to identify some of the other theaters if I knew where the photos were.

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on January 15, 2006 at 6:44 pm

There’s a good photo of the Elmwood exterior undergoing renovations at View link if you scroll down that page of theater photos. Unfortunately, what’s infuriating about Bridge and Tunnel Club is they post no captions or explanations whatsoever. Although they provide a link to Cinema Treasures, they have a whole page of great photos of ex-NYC movie palaces with no way to tell which theaters half of them are!

cinemaguy220
cinemaguy220 on January 2, 2006 at 7:06 am

Thanks Warren! If anyone sees anything else going on there, I’d appreciate a post here so I know about it. I remember going to the Elmwood about 6 or 7 years ago.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 2, 2006 at 3:50 am

Cinemaguy, please note my post above of 11/05/05…While passing by on a bus yesterday (1/01/06), I noticed that the entire front of the building, from sidewalk to roof, has been covered by metal scaffolding. Perhaps to repair/restore the decorative stone work, whch hasn’t been little attended to since the Queensboro Theatre first opened in 1928.

cinemaguy220
cinemaguy220 on December 31, 2005 at 10:14 am

Does anyone know the latest about happenings at the Elmwood? I haven’t heard anything recently and am wondering how work on the church is moving along. I’m also a bit worried that some history inside could be destroyed.

cinemaguy220
cinemaguy220 on December 31, 2005 at 10:14 am

cinemaguy220
cinemaguy220 on December 31, 2005 at 10:14 am

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on December 20, 2005 at 2:28 pm

Hi Jeffrey! Thank you very much for your help!!!

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on December 20, 2005 at 2:17 pm

A Google search turned up:
Rock Community Church
(718) 651-2950
5702 Hoffman Dr
Flushing, NY 11373

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on December 20, 2005 at 1:17 pm

Hi!
Does anyone have a phone number or e-mail address for the Rock Community Church, which is housed in the Elmwood Theatre? Please post or e-mail Thanking you in advance!

roadwarrior23249
roadwarrior23249 on December 17, 2005 at 4:39 pm

Ed, an off topic thing, you mentioned “Jack’s” in flushing which was the last one to go, while visiting my sister in law in Housten Tx. I found there to be a Jack’s on every other block. Gotta love those greasy tacos! Too bad there isnt a fantasy land where there is an old theater every other block.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 16, 2005 at 7:51 pm

Jeffrey… you are correct. It was P.S. 13, so my memory is a bit off. Is it 56th Ave that Justice Ave feeds into near the old Macy’s? If so, this is the street the school was on. About a block in from Junction. Now that I think about it, the block the school was on came to an end at Junction… so if that sounds like 56th Ave then that was it. I’ll check out that queensboard site. Thanks.

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on December 16, 2005 at 4:00 pm

EdSolero: I certainly do recall that pizzeria. It was called Pizza Pit, and was indeed in from the corner on Junction. I have quite a few photos of that corner. I will let you know when I can get them onto PhotoBucket — but in the meantime, check out the Photo Gallery at The Queens Board (http://queensboard.com/) — especially pages 3 and 4; I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. (However, I’m not familiar with any P.S. 16. I attended P.S. 13, which was between 55th and 56th Aves on 94th St., from 1963-66; it sounds like I was about 10 years ahead of you.)

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on December 16, 2005 at 10:51 am

The marquee installed for the Elmwood in 1946 is still there (until the church decides on its future). The only changes have been removal of neon borders, which were replaced by stainless steel or chrome, I’m not sure which.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 16, 2005 at 10:15 am

Jeffrey… I attended P.S. 16 on — was it 57th Ave? — for 3rd grade in ‘72-'73. I remember I used to take the city bus down Junction Blvd by myself from the house on 41st Avenue to get to this school. The principal was Mr. Zoller. After school, I used to go across Junction Blvd to the pizzeria that was right off the corner there and, with a dollar bill, I’d order two slices, a small coke and have a dime left over for the juke-box. Just about every day I would play one of 3 tunes: “Joy to the World” by Three Dog Night, “Crocodile Rock” by Elton John or “You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)” which was The Beatles’ B-side to the “Let it Be” single.

Do you recall that pizzeria? I can’t think of the name. It may have been right on the northeast corner of Junction and 57th, but in my memory it was a door or two up Junction from the actual corner. I remember that 57th didn’t quite line up plumb as it crossed Junction, with the east side of the intersection shifted slightly to the south from the west side. You could have probably seen the joint from your apartment windows.

As I write this, it also strikes me that I was of an awfully tender young age to have been riding a city bus and crossing a major thoroughfare like Junction Blvd all by myself, but those were different times. The streets of Elmhurst were a bit safer than they probably are now and parents weren’t quite as overprotective of their children as they most certainly are these days. In any event, I survived the daily routine for an entire school year and can’t recall a single untoward incident. It’s amazing how visiting this site and thinking about a particular movie theater can stir so many unrelated memories. I love it… keeps me sharp! Thanks for indulging me once again.

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on December 8, 2005 at 9:01 am

My remark about the multiplex was based on the comment at the top, “A plan to demolish the theater after the creation of an 18-screen megaplex nearby stalled,” and I wasn’t sure if what had stalled was the plan to demolish the theater, or the creation of the multiplex. However, after re-reading the subsequent posts, I see that the plan to build a multiplex—which had grown to 30 screens!—was abandoned.

The ground floor of the white building, around the ‘68 period, housed a Chemical Bank, a Chinese restaurant, and an “Anna Kalsø’s Earth Shoe” store. I think I remember the Sam Goody’s coming in a bit after those, although I’m pretty sure I bought a replacement phonograph cartridge in that Goody’s. (As I write these sentences, I’m wondering if anybody under 30 will understand a single reference other than “Chinese restaurant”!)

I lived on the 4th floor of the 6-story Rego Park Gardens building at 57-10 Junction Blvd., but my windows faced the Junction Blvd. side. I took these photos on what might have been the only occasion when I was in our next-door neighbor’s apartment, which faced the rear of the building. As best I can recall, when I saw the view out of their window, I raced back to get my camera. (Anticipating, of course, the development of the Internet and how useful the photos would become!)

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 8, 2005 at 8:07 am

Jeffrey… thanks for those images! I am not aware of a multiplex in this vicinity. The 6 story white building on the left in both photos (it is partially obscured by a foreground apartment building in the 1st photo) is still there right where the Queens Blvd exit ramp on the westbound LIE leaves you. There used to be a Sam Goody as well as a big chain bookstore (can’t recall which one) located in the ground floor of that building. Anyway, everything to the right of that building along Queens Blvd (and directly facing the Elmwood and St. John’s Hospital) was part of the original Queens Center Mall construction. The Mall has since been expanded to the east (covering the parking lots in the center of each photo), but there is no multiplex within the center.

Were these photos taken from the Lefrak office building on Junction Blvd or perhpaps from one of the apartment buildings across the steet from it?

As for the marquee… the one depicted in your 1969 image was still intact when my Jr High graduation ceremonies were held at the Elmwood in 1979. I have a photo or two somewhere from in front of the theater that might show a glimpse of the marquee and facade… but then, if I scanned and posted them, eveyrone would see whatever dorky hairdo and period clothing I was wearing at the time!!! I’m not sure the marquee was ever entirely replaced with the multiplexing, but at the very least some flashing was installed to obscure the original neon trim and red “ELMWOOD” lettering.

You’re right about Nathan’s taking over Wetson’s! That didn’t last very long, although there are still a couple of standalone Nathan’s on Long Island (right outside the Herricks Theater on Hillside Ave for one). I remember a Roy Rogers restaurant occupied that spot for a number of years. Not sure what’s there right now. And Jack in the Box became Jack’s – where they specialized in taco’s and other fast food variations on Mexican fare – which was in turn put out of business by the success of Taco Bell. Last Jack’s I recall was on Norhtern Blvd in Flushing/Auburndale.

NativeForestHiller
NativeForestHiller on December 8, 2005 at 6:30 am

Hi Ed! To answer your question, landmarking would automatically apply to the exterior of the Elmwood, unless the interior was emphasized in a Request For Evaluation (RFE) form.

Enjoying my trip down memory lane!!!

Jeffrey1955
Jeffrey1955 on December 8, 2005 at 5:26 am

Sorry about that…I don’t know why those links aren’t working. Let’s try that again.
First Photo:
Second Photo:
According to my preview, these should work.