57-02 Hoffman Drive,
23 people favorited this theater
Architects: John W. Schladitz
Previous Names: Queensboro Theatre, Loews Cineplex Elmwood
News About This Theater
- Sep 18, 2008 — Endangered: UA Brandon Cinema
The Queensboro Theatre was built in 1928 and opened on September 17, 1928 with Margarita Fischer in “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” on the screen and Paul Specht and His Orchestra plus 5-acts of vaudeville on the stage. It was the first ‘Atmospheric’ style theatre to be built in Queens. It was equipped with a Link 3-unit organ. In 1946 it was taken over by the Interboro Circuit Inc. and renamed Elmwood Theatre. This once proud vaudeville and movie house along Queens Boulevard in the Elmhurst section of Queens closed on February 28, 2002. It is now home to the Rock Church in the shadows of the Queens Mall and the Long Island Expressway.
A plan to demolish the theatre after the creation of an 18-screen megaplex nearby stalled. Meanwhile, the Elmwood Theatre has recently been reconverted into a single auditorium space after years as a four-screen theatre. Restoration and renovation of other areas of the theatre were completed in 2012.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.