Jackson Heights Cinema
40-31 82nd Street,
9 people favorited this theater
Located in the Jackson Heights section of Queens. The Jackson Theatre opened December 26, 1924 as a single screen movie theatre with a total seating capacity of 1,500. The theatre was equipped with a Wurlitzer 2 manual, 7 rank theatre organ. It was built and operated by the small Grob & Knobel chain, who sold it to William Fox in 1928. He lost it in bankruptcy in 1930 and the Jackson Theatre, together with the Boulevard Theatre were taken over by Skouras Theaters Corp. chain.
The stadium style raised seating area at the rear was later halved to allow for two small theatres, each seating 228. However, the main floor auditorium, with 601 seats, its original stylings intact, and Dolby digital stereo, was arguably the best “Cinema Treasure” theatre still operating in Queens until it closed on October 20, 2009. The operators were evicted by the Sheriff for non-payment (presumably of rent). The Jackson Heights Food & Film Festival, due to take place on October 24, was cancelled due to the closure.
In recent years as a triplex, re-named Jackson Triplex Cinema, it had been showing first run Hollywood releases with Spanish subtitles to cater for the area’s large Latin American population. It was closed in October 2009 and a ‘For Rent’ sign was the only message on the marquee.
It was reopened on May 22, 2010 as the Jackson Heights Cinema.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater