Egyptian Theatre

6712 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

JSA
JSA on July 3, 2006 at 10:15 pm

Thank you Michael. Shortly after I posted my question, I searched in the “from script to dvd” site, and found my answer!

It is interesting to note that the Egyptian ran a 70 mm engagement of “Tora! Tora! Tora!” the following year (1971) as well.

JSA

Coate
Coate on July 2, 2006 at 11:01 pm

“Tora! Tora! Tora!” (late 1970/early 1971).

JSA
JSA on June 28, 2006 at 8:57 pm

William: When was the last time 70 mm was run at the Pantages?

William
William on June 28, 2006 at 3:57 pm

Chris don’t forget the Pantages Theatre.

segask
segask on June 12, 2006 at 2:26 am

does anyone know how wide the original screen was back before those columns of the proscenium were demolished to make way for the D-150 screen?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on June 6, 2006 at 3:01 am

Here is an interesting article about the Egyptian:

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on May 15, 2006 at 8:39 pm

While I appreciate what the Cinematheque is doing at this theatre to preserve classic cinema, I must say (as I’ve already said in other places around this website) that this theatre has no business hosting a 70MM film festival! I’ve been to a couple of 70MM film screenings here since the Cinematheque took over (My Fair Lady, Ben-Hur, Lawrence of Arabia) and was very disappointed. here Only 2 theatres in Hollywood have the skills to run 70MM as it was originally intended: The Dome and the Chinese.

SpikeSpiegel6262044
SpikeSpiegel6262044 on April 4, 2006 at 1:13 am

Pretty theater, I like! I was wondering if the premiere of
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust was shown here?

bufffilmbuff
bufffilmbuff on January 19, 2006 at 10:59 am

William—-
Curious about the eight channel D-150 sound system. How was that configured? I know Todd-Ao had six channels, five behind the screen and one surround and three projector Cinerama had seven, five behind the screen and two surrounds…. but eight channels? Was this actually part of the soundtrack on the print, a separate interlocked sound system (like Cinerama) or was this just some kind of enhancement that worked only in playback. Thanks.

trooperboots
trooperboots on January 19, 2006 at 5:46 am

Hi Ken,

To see what the San Diego Egyptian ORIGINALLY looked like when it was first built in 1926 go to…..

The San Diego Egyptian facade (in slightly streamlined form) is being retained for a condominium development being completed on Park Boulevard. There is a clear and large artist’s rendering of the building available on the following link……

Theater lovers were not happy to lose the beautiful theater, but at least we have the facade.. that’s more than most developments are doing.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 18, 2005 at 10:23 pm

Does anyone have any info on the Fox Egyptian in San Diego?

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on December 7, 2005 at 1:49 am

Here is a picture of the theater and the Pig ‘n Whistle, which has now been restored. The food is good, but a little pricey for me.

MrFootprint
MrFootprint on September 13, 2005 at 4:24 am

My grandfather, Jean Klossner was on the original Meyer & Holler construction crew that built the Egyptian, Chinese, Mayan and American theaters (among others) ….. After the opening of the Chinese, he performed the footprint ceremonies for over 40 years. He said Sid Grauman always wanted to open a complete chain, each theater with a different theme …. So different than the “Multiplex Giants” of today ……

William
William on September 1, 2005 at 1:35 pm

No the Egyptian was not equipped for VistaVision horizontal format. I believe only the first two films released from Paramount were available in the horizontal format.

Tom10
Tom10 on July 13, 2005 at 11:08 pm

William: Kind thanks for this interesting description. Could it handle VistVision in the horizontal format? Did Ampex provide the speakers and amps or just the magnetic reproducer electronics? Altec—of the some era—did a fair amount of work for movie theaters, both speakers and electronics. Both provided expensive, top-of-the-line equipment. A church I attended had an Altec monophonic amp (to drive headsets for the hearing impaired!!),an early solid state unit. It weighed a ton, was rack mounted, and cost a bundle. t.

William
William on July 13, 2005 at 1:13 pm

The D-150 process was used only on two films from Fox “The Bible” & “Patton”. In the exhibition world the Dimension 150 company had an idea to market an All-Purpose projection system to theatres. The system provided aspect ratios suitable for D-150, Todd-AO, Ultra-Panavision, CinemaScope, Widescreen 1.85 and other projection formats. The theatre would be retrofitted with a large curved screen and in most cases an Ampex 8 channel stereo sound system for full magnetic sound. The screen at the Egyptian Theatre was 90 feet wide, when opened to the fullest masking setting. You also had to pay a licensing fee to present your film in the full D-150 screen, like what MGM and a few other studios did with Cinerama.
That is just a few highlights of the system.

RobertR
RobertR on July 13, 2005 at 11:25 am

“And just think – it would play the Egyptian for a total of 68 weeks!”

We are lucky now if a film can play 68 days.

Tom10
Tom10 on July 13, 2005 at 11:14 am

What is a “D-150” screen?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on July 12, 2005 at 7:41 pm

And just think – it would play the Egyptian for a total of 68 weeks!

teecee
teecee on July 12, 2005 at 5:44 pm

Source: MPTV
Caption: Hollywood and Los Angeles Landmarks Egyptian Theater Marquee: “My Fair Lady” 1964

William
William on June 3, 2005 at 8:07 pm

I have some shots of the auditorium with the D-150 installed in one of my files on the theatre.

markinthedark
markinthedark on May 5, 2005 at 10:50 pm

Does anyone have pictures of this theatre when it had its D-150 screen installed?

Tom10
Tom10 on April 15, 2005 at 1:37 pm

G.A.DeL.: Terrific post card. It’s an amazing building.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on April 14, 2005 at 7:28 pm

Here is an old postcard showing the entrance area of the Egyptian.