Granada Theater

6427 N. Sheridan Road,
Chicago, IL 60626

JimRankin
JimRankin on June 17, 2004 at 5:42 am

The first comment here describes the GRANADA’s land owner as a “land banker” which implies that he was somehow keeping something valuable in store for the benefit of the city. Nothing could be further from the truth! Cities can create ‘land banks’ due to expected expansion, but individuals are simply SPECULATORS, people who buy any land hoping its vlaue will rise so as to be able to sell it later at a large profit. They characteristically put nothing at zll into the land, so that they can rape it for the maximum profit. In a country where 99% of the people really worship money, this is considered normal. Remember that Wolf creature who did this with the UPTOWN and was profiled in “Chicago” magazine? Sad, sad!

BobHart
BobHart on June 17, 2004 at 2:30 am

Thank you to everyone who entered comments. My first job was as an usher at the Granada in 1960. One had wonderful memories of the buildint. Very sorry to see it go. But life does go on. We used to store the Pop Corn in the original Theater Managers Office on the first floor. The Organ at that time was still in the Orchestra pit and did go up and down. The Organ pipes were behind the stage and went from the lower basement and up to the sixth floor. We had pumps running all the time to keep the lake water out of the basements. The best week-end we had there was when we had ‘Pillow Talk’ and ‘Some Like It Hot’ showing together. We extended the show for an extra projection and didn’t finish that night until about 2 or 3 in the morning. Yes I did go out with one of the ‘Candy Girls’. Thanks again for all whot have provided information.

mharkins
mharkins on April 22, 2004 at 5:22 pm

I grew up in Rogers Park and rented a beautiful victorian apartment just a few blocks from the theater when I was in my early 20s (during the early ‘80s). The very first movie I ever saw in a movie theater was the Beatles’ “A Hard Days Night”. The atmosphere was electifying as thousands of young girls screamed throughout the entire movie. It was an overwhelming introduction to one of Chicago’s great architectural treasures.

I recall seeing many films there over the years and eventually attended a number concerts there in the early-mid ‘80s. Does anyone remember when Todd Rundgren performed at the Granada? I believe that it was during the early 80s.

The Granada should have been declard a landmark building and preserved for generations to come.

edward
edward on April 17, 2004 at 10:59 am

Incredible images on the Library of Congress site. Unbelievable how large and elaborate this place was.
Was not familiar with this theatre. What a loss for Chicago.

dougiede
dougiede on April 17, 2004 at 10:21 am

I spent many happy hours at the Granada during the ‘40s and '50s. It was one of those things that one thought would always be there — it seemed so secure! By the way, the marquee of the Granada was changed (“updated”, if you like) during the early '50s. It would warm my heart to be able to see some vintage photos (like the opening of the theater in 1926, etc.) of the theater taken at various points during its halcyon days. Any help there would be greatly appreciated!! I haven’t lived in Chicago for a great many years, but the Granada will always be the epitome of THE movie palace, at least in my heart.

Dougde

dougiede
dougiede on April 17, 2004 at 10:17 am

I spent many happy hours at the Granada during the ‘40s and '50s. It was one of those things that one thought would always be there — it seemed so secure! By the way, the marquee of the Granada was changed (“updated”, if you like) during the early '50s. It would warm my heart to be able to see some vintage photos (like the opening of the theater in 1926, etc.) of the theater taken at various points during its halcyon days. I haven’t lived in Chicago for a great many years, but the Granada will always be the epitome of The movie palace.

Dougde

Tina
Tina on March 26, 2004 at 7:55 am

What a spendid opportunity to be able to comment on the Granada! I
looked hard a few years ago to find any pictures of it and the only
one I could find, until now, was from a book I found in the library.
It was taken probably in the 40’s or early 50’s. I have a copy of it sitting on my desk.
Unfortunately, I had to move from Chicago a number of years ago. It
saddens me deeply that the Granada won’t be there to visit when I plan to move back! The grandest memory I have is the night I saw
“Quadrophenia” there. Posters were being given away and after the
movie I asked about them. The supply had been quickly snatched up
before the film. However, thanks to the exceptional kindness of one
usher, I did get a poster and a short tour upstairs to the supply for
the next night. We walked behind that huge arched window and I remember feeling such a thrill to see different parts of such a truly magnificent and regal piece of history! I wish I could again
thank that special usher for a memory I will never forget!
I also talked to a member of the Theatre Historical Society a few
years ago who mentioned that there was going to be an auction of articles from the Granada. Did it ever happen and are there items
anywhere that are available?
A sincere THANK YOU to Bryan Krefft for posting the last images
of a place that touched the lives and hearts of so many of us!

ScottEnk
ScottEnk on December 17, 2003 at 5:49 pm

Okay, third try. Mea maxima culpa.

At the Library of Congress Web site listed above, click on “Search.” Then select “Photos & Prints.”

At the next screen, in the search box, type “granada theatre” and click the “Search” button. The second link that will then appear, the Historic American Buildings survey files on the Granada, will take you virtually there. Click on the icons noted above.

Scott Enk

ScottEnk
ScottEnk on December 17, 2003 at 5:43 pm

I just found out that the link above doesn’t work. My apologies; try this one. Try this link:

At the right side of the page that then appears, select the link for photographs. At the next screen, type “granada” in the search box. Click on the word “Search” to the right.

A series of links will then appear. Near the bottom is the one for our beloved, late great Granada Theatre.

Click on the icons for black-and-white photographs, photo captions, and data pages to see the respective materials. Brace yourself for awe—and tears at what we’ve all lost.

Scott Enk

ScottEnk
ScottEnk on December 17, 2003 at 5:33 pm

Thanks, Bryan Krefft, for that link. In fact, there are over 30 photos of the Granada, exterior and interior, available at the Library of Congress Web site at the following Web address:

Most of these pictures were taken shortly before this irreplaceable treasure was torn down, so they show the theater in heartbreakingly bad shape. Nonetheless, the grandeur of the Granada shines through.

I was there only once, in November 1981 for the opening night of the Chicago International Film Festival and a showing of the classic 1924 silent film Peter Pan, complete with a live orchestra playing the original score. Steven Spielberg and Francois Truffaut were presented with awards. If I am correct, King Vidor was in the audience that night.

It was unforgettable—and so was and is the Granada.

One of the Theatre Historical Society of America’s recent annuals covers the work of Edward Eichenbaum, who designed the Granada’s interior. Does anyone know of any other sources of photographs, historical information, or other material on this theater?

In my hometown of Milwaukee,we’ve already lost many wonderful theaters of our own; the Avalon, our city’s last atmospheric theatre, is in grave danger of being gutted for offices. You can find more information about this on this Web site at its entry for the Avalon. Sad.

I second (and third) the sentiments of a previous poster. Whether or not you live in Chicago, don’t let what happened to the Granada (and what almost happened to Chicago’s Oriental and Chicago Theatres!) happen to Chicago’s incomparable Uptown Theatre!

Scott Enk

sduros
sduros on November 25, 2003 at 6:42 pm

I grew up three blocks from the Granada, and I saw many classic movies there. I saw the movie Easy Rider there, which changed my life – good or bad? – both! One flew over the Cuuckoo’s Nest premiered there, and I saw Taj Mahal and a couple of other bands there. I wax poetically about the Granada in this prose poem I wrote about growing up in Rogers Park…

My understanding is that the Granada met its end because it was allowed to deteriorate by a known slumloard, and Rep. Dan Rostenkowski worked the ropes to get funding from Congress so that a seniors building could be constructed there. Lo, after the old Granada was torn donw, the senior housing failed and the building went to Loyola University, of which Rosty is an alum.

unknown
unknown on October 26, 2003 at 8:22 pm

I worked as an usher at the Granada in the late 60’s. What a masterpiece it was. It was once included in a list of the top 50 Balaban and Katz “Movie Palaces”. Another one that was allowed to die was the Howard, also in Rogers Park. I understand the crowds have been gone for a long time. But preservation of history has to have some priority! We must not let this continue.

mpglefin
mpglefin on October 29, 2002 at 10:13 am

Seeking information about a painting of the Granada Theater that I saw in the late 1980’s – do not know artist – please contact me if you have any information – I would like to obtain this painting.

LouisRugani
LouisRugani on June 21, 2002 at 9:05 pm

I believe I attended the very last program at the Granada (though no one could have known it then), a Three Stooges festival in the winter of 1986 promoted by a local radio station. The half-filled auditorium was quite cold, but the audience seemed to hardly notice. Afterwards I treated myself to a personal tour of the theatre, something I’m glad I didn’t decide to postpone. (Most vivid memories: the massive proscenium, and the huge fireplace in the mezzanine alongside the main arched window.) I also recall a last-ditch preservation effort led by a brave lady (whose name escapes me) that was publicized in the Chicago Tribune. And I want to reinforce what others have said here: the Granada Theatre was indeed in very good condition both inside and out on that night I was there, which I believe was its last night open.

hpropp
hpropp on May 14, 2002 at 6:26 pm

Nate Ruttenberg was the last operating manager of the Granda. He was the brother-in-law of Harry Balaban.

MariamP
MariamP on January 29, 2002 at 8:00 am

I was actually in the building during a delay in the demolition. There was very little wrong with this building.Loyola U wanted the land.This was the second theatre they had demolished in the area.The Uptown must be saved, although in my opinion it did not have the beauty and grandeur of the Granada. There is also a small chandelier from the Granada in the Music Box theatre on southport.

DavePlomin
DavePlomin on January 19, 2002 at 8:09 pm

Hi,
I was in the Granada many times for films in the 70’s and saw a production of Rocky Horror live, as well. The theater was NOT falling down, just purposely neglected. Loyola University also wanted it closed for their own purposes…SAD…..Let’s not have this happen to the Uptown Theater!

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on October 26, 2001 at 8:58 am

I have a brick from this theatre. It broke my heart to see it being torn down.

Shawn
Shawn on October 6, 2001 at 3:29 pm

I think Styx actually rehearsed for their ‘83 “Kilroy Was Here” tour in the Granada as well. Kudos to Dennis DeYoung for the entire Paradise Theatre concept.

Shawn S.

DaveWiegers
DaveWiegers on August 29, 2001 at 6:26 am

The facade of the Granda is considered by many to be the model for the Paradise Theatre featured on the front and back cover of the STYX album “Paradise Theatre”. The marquee is not modeled after the Granada’s.

tim
tim on August 28, 2001 at 12:32 pm

I have to agree with SBGrieg’s assessment. The original decline in business in the 70’s was caused by the building of a high-rise on the adjacent lot and another building project across the street on Sheridan Rd. This took away most of the available parking spots in the area. It was all downhill from then on.

SBGreig
SBGreig on June 28, 2001 at 5:58 pm

I followed the Granada quite a bit in its last years and I question if it was closed due to its “poor condition”. The land banker that came to possess the theater at the end purposely let it go to pieces in the mid-late 1980s. Before that, from my recollection, it was in good shape.