Granada Theater

6427 N. Sheridan Road,
Chicago, IL 60626

mpglefin
mpglefin on October 29, 2002 at 10:13 am

Seeking information about a painting of the Granada Theater that I saw in the late 1980’s – do not know artist – please contact me if you have any information – I would like to obtain this painting.

LouisRugani
LouisRugani on June 21, 2002 at 9:05 pm

I believe I attended the very last program at the Granada (though no one could have known it then), a Three Stooges festival in the winter of 1986 promoted by a local radio station. The half-filled auditorium was quite cold, but the audience seemed to hardly notice. Afterwards I treated myself to a personal tour of the theatre, something I’m glad I didn’t decide to postpone. (Most vivid memories: the massive proscenium, and the huge fireplace in the mezzanine alongside the main arched window.) I also recall a last-ditch preservation effort led by a brave lady (whose name escapes me) that was publicized in the Chicago Tribune. And I want to reinforce what others have said here: the Granada Theatre was indeed in very good condition both inside and out on that night I was there, which I believe was its last night open.

hpropp
hpropp on May 14, 2002 at 6:26 pm

Nate Ruttenberg was the last operating manager of the Granda. He was the brother-in-law of Harry Balaban.

MariamP
MariamP on January 29, 2002 at 8:00 am

I was actually in the building during a delay in the demolition. There was very little wrong with this building.Loyola U wanted the land.This was the second theatre they had demolished in the area.The Uptown must be saved, although in my opinion it did not have the beauty and grandeur of the Granada. There is also a small chandelier from the Granada in the Music Box theatre on southport.

DavePlomin
DavePlomin on January 19, 2002 at 8:09 pm

Hi,
I was in the Granada many times for films in the 70’s and saw a production of Rocky Horror live, as well. The theater was NOT falling down, just purposely neglected. Loyola University also wanted it closed for their own purposes…SAD…..Let’s not have this happen to the Uptown Theater!

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on October 26, 2001 at 8:58 am

I have a brick from this theatre. It broke my heart to see it being torn down.

Shawn
Shawn on October 6, 2001 at 3:29 pm

I think Styx actually rehearsed for their ‘83 “Kilroy Was Here” tour in the Granada as well. Kudos to Dennis DeYoung for the entire Paradise Theatre concept.

Shawn S.

DaveWiegers
DaveWiegers on August 29, 2001 at 6:26 am

The facade of the Granda is considered by many to be the model for the Paradise Theatre featured on the front and back cover of the STYX album “Paradise Theatre”. The marquee is not modeled after the Granada’s.

tim
tim on August 28, 2001 at 12:32 pm

I have to agree with SBGrieg’s assessment. The original decline in business in the 70’s was caused by the building of a high-rise on the adjacent lot and another building project across the street on Sheridan Rd. This took away most of the available parking spots in the area. It was all downhill from then on.

SBGreig
SBGreig on June 28, 2001 at 5:58 pm

I followed the Granada quite a bit in its last years and I question if it was closed due to its “poor condition”. The land banker that came to possess the theater at the end purposely let it go to pieces in the mid-late 1980s. Before that, from my recollection, it was in good shape.