6427 N. Sheridan Road,
34 people favorited this theater
Built in 1926 for the Marks Brothers circuit, this was one of the largest movie palaces on Chicago’s Far North Side, located in Rogers Park. The Granada Theater was opened September 18, 1926 with a Jack Haskell stage show “Eastern Nights” and on the screen Belle Bennett in “The Lilly”. The Wurlitzer 4 manual 20 rank thatre organ was opened by organist Alfred F. Brown The proscenium was 60ft wide and the stage 32ft deep. Seating was provided for 3,448, with 1,833 in the orchestra level and 1,615 seats in the balcony. On November 18, 1932, the theater was acquired by the Publix/Balaban & Katz chain and it was briefly closed, reopening in 1933 presenting double feature programs. The Granada Theater was originally designed by Edward Eichenbaum (of the firm of Levy & Klein) for both live stage shows and movies, but by the 1940’s, was only showing films. It remained open until the late-1970’s, operated by Plitt Theatres.
The Granada Theater was used for rock concerts sporadically during the early to mid-1980’s, but eventually closed entirely.
It was torn down in 1990, after being stripped of all its remaining decoration. An apartment/retail complex (named for the Granada) was constructed in its place.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater