Radio City Music Hall

1260 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 151 - 175 of 3,432 comments

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on August 21, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Hey Vito. Don’t worry about the old projectors. We don’t cover them anymore. In fact, we started fixing up the 2 that haven’t been used for a long time. Looks like we may be using them soon……..

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on August 21, 2013 at 4:28 am

Movies on their last legs? Haven’t we heard that before? With record grosses world wide, a misstep with American audiences this summer is hardly a tragedy. We are simply no longer the major market for the industry. And you couldn’t near the theatres on 42nd street this past weekend with mobs crowding into mediocre titles.

Vito
Vito on August 20, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Very good point Stanley well said. Of course those of us who go way back miss the movies at the Hall but it’s just not possible anymore. When I think of those projectors all covered in plastic it can be sad to accept. But the Music Hall lives and that is the important thing

StanleyNorton
StanleyNorton on August 20, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Americas Got Talent has been a wonderful commercial for RCMH and what I think is so great is that Samuel Rothaphel’s original idea for this theatre has comes full circle. He designed the theatre as a “music hall” with acts of singers, choral groups, acrobats, dancers, comedians — and today that idea was fulfilled on the “Great Stage” with this TV show. Radio City Music Hall was never intended to be a movie theatre. And as you know Roxy’s “music hall” idea died without movies which were, at the time, the most popular entertainment of that day. So movies were put in with a stage show and it became the most successful theatre in history. Now, movies in theatres seem to be on their last legs and here is Radio City Music Hall doing what Roxy wanted it to be.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on August 15, 2013 at 4:16 am

I didn’t intend it as an “anniversary” post and never used that word. A friend happened to send me a copy of the ad, and I decided to post it as one of the “true” classic movies that had their world premieres at RCMH.

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on August 14, 2013 at 4:08 pm

What’s so significant about a 71st anniversary? Big celebrations are usually reserved for 25th, 50th, 75th and 100th.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 13, 2013 at 7:12 am

Spoiler alert. ..his mom gets shot.

Coate
Coate on August 13, 2013 at 5:41 am

Seventy-one? Hypocrite!

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on August 13, 2013 at 4:06 am

Seventy-one years ago today, Walt Disney’s animated “Bambi,” described as “a miracle of Technicolor beauty,” opened its world premiere engagement at RCMH. The stage revue, “Dear Diary,” climaxed with a spectacular wedding scene with the 36 Rockettes as high-kicking bridesmaids.

Vito
Vito on August 7, 2013 at 10:23 pm

NYer I appreciate what you wrote I need to accept change and be happy we still have the “Grande Dame”, as you wrote we almost lost her. I just like the Hall to stay as it was and seeing it now I get nervous we will loose the charm of the original but since this is only temporary In will try and be more accepting. Thanks again for your response to my rant I guess I needed that.

NewYorker64
NewYorker64 on August 7, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Also, you have to remember, television transmission from RCMH is high-definition now, which amps up the intensity of this visual in a big way, giving it a bit of Las Vegas gloss and less of the old-school opulence that we all love!

NYer
NYer on August 7, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Sorry you weren’t happy Vito about the look on America’s Got Talent". I think the Grande Dame looks amazing. You know how close RCMH came to being another nondescript office building. She’s alive and well on the number one show on TV. The Judges, contestants and the host all talk constantly about how iconic and important the theater is and how honored everyone is to perform on that stage. When the show ends, it’ll be put back in original condition. All new generations that have never been to NYC are seeing it shine. It’s all good.

Garth
Garth on August 7, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I recalled seeing the movie version of “1776” 40 years ago on an 8th grade class trip, in a huge Manhattan theatre. Thinking it might be The Ziegfeld I checked the NY Times archive, and it actually played here. The movie was a bore but at least I can say I once saw a film in Radio City Music Hall.

Vito
Vito on July 29, 2013 at 12:09 am

Last nights “America’s Got Talent” was televised from RCMH; not a fan of the show but I wanted to see the Hall so tuned in. What I saw was a set that completely covered the proscenium and the gold curtain. I was not amused.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 12, 2013 at 4:45 am

The 1922 Robin Hood is shown at a Broadway theater in new The Great Gatsby film. If anyone knows where, you might wish to post on that theater’s page.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 12, 2013 at 4:35 am

That Robin Hood movie is still my favorite Robin Hood movie of all time. Much better than the Disney, Kevin Costner, Mel Brooks, and Russell Crowe versions.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on May 12, 2013 at 4:07 am

Seventy-five years ago today, WB’s “The Adventures of Robin Hood,” a Technicolor epic starring Errol Flynn, Olivia De Havilland, Basil Rathbone, and Claude Rains, opened its NYC premiere engagement at RCMH. The five-scene stage spectacle, a musical fantasy entitled “Stars at Midnight,” used Respighi’s “Pines of Rome” for the overture.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on May 3, 2013 at 3:57 am

Sixty-eight years ago today, MGM’s “The Valley of Decision,” a B&W melodrama teaming the Hall’s boxoffice queen Greer Garson with rapidly rising Gregory Peck, opened its world premiere engagement at RCMH. Leonidoff’s stage revue, “Summer Idyll,” included the Corps de Ballet in a new spectacle set to the music of Frederic Chopin.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 30, 2013 at 9:29 am

I wonder if the nfl draft will continue its run at the hall…seems that it’s a popular venue for nfl fans across america. As for awards shows, the Oscars should not play at this venue….it was meant to be in hollywood.

Vito
Vito on April 30, 2013 at 9:18 am

I watched the Tony Award nominations this morning and was happy to hear that after two years at the Beacon the award ceremony will return to Radio City this year.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on April 15, 2013 at 3:55 am

Seventy years ago today, RCMH opened its 1943 Easter holiday package with RKO’s “Flight For Freedom” on screen. Starring Rosalind Russell and Fred MacMurray, the B&W patriotic thriller was loosely based on the disappearance in the South Pacific of famed pilot Amelia Earhart, which remains a mystery to this day. The Music Hall’s stage revue opened with the expected “Glory of Easter,” followed by “Easter Parade,” which included the Rockettes as war factory workers on the “swing shift.” The grand finale was a “stunning and realistic” enactment of “April Showers” (but minus Al Jolson).

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on April 7, 2013 at 6:16 am

Future legend Lana Turner played a tiny bit part as a harem hand-maiden, wearing a black wig and Oriental make-up. Many years later, when “Marco Polo” was re-issued, Turner received co-star billing with Gary Cooper in the advertising and on marquees!

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on April 7, 2013 at 4:26 am

Seventy=five years ago today, RCMH opened its 1938 Easter Holiday Presentation with the world premiere engagement of Samuel Goldwyn’s “The Adventures of Marco Polo,” a B&W historical epic starring Gary Cooper and introducing Sigrid Gurie. The two-part stage revue opened with the pious “Glory of Easter,” followed by “Mickey’s Circus,” in which beloved Walt Disney characters cavorted with RCMH’s resident entertainers. Disney’s “Silly Symphony” Technicolor cartoon, “Wynken, Blynken and Nod,” provided a screen bonus.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on March 30, 2013 at 3:47 pm

I forget which movie attraction it was (maybe “Tom Sawyer?” or Disney’s “Robin Hood?”) but I can recall seeing the trailer for “Mame” at the Hall, and it was so long, that I remember my aunt rhetorically asking, “why come to see the movie, they’re practically showing the whole thing right now?!”

Ironically, we did go back and see “Mame” at the Hall, anyway!

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on March 30, 2013 at 5:34 am

Seventy-four years ago today, RCMH opened its 1939 Easter holiday show with the world premiere engagement of “The Story of Vernon & Irene Castle,” a B&W musical biopic that marked the final RKO teaming of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Leon Leonidoff’s spectacular revue, “Easter Greetings,” opened with the religious “Glory of Easter,” followed by “In Quaint Old Williamsburg.” Walt Disney provided a screen bonus with the Technicolor cartoon, “The Ugly Ducking.”