Radio City Music Hall

1260 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 151 - 175 of 2,970 comments

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on August 23, 2013 at 12:58 am

Projector 5 will not be going back into place. We still have 4 other good ones so I think we’re okay. They do show the booth on the tours but they stay outside the doorway of the booth. It’s funny hearing some of the tour guide talk about the booth and projection. Most of them are very accurate, but some of them have no idea what they’re talking about.

As far as future projection goes, there are no upcoming movies. We did however do some extensive film testing for the upcoming “spring” show. There is a very good chance that we will be using film for it. Digital projectors will also be used.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 22, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I was watching “Born Yesterday” last night and Judy Holiday said while visiting the National Gallery that it was fancier than the Radio City Music Hall… I had to smile and think of you guys!

Vito
Vito on August 22, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Your lips to Gods ears Bill

Mark/rcdt55b do they still have the tours and show the booth as part of that?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on August 22, 2013 at 3:21 pm

rcdt55b: I guess you can’t be more specific yet, but I hope you meant the Music Hall will soon be showing an actual movie again, and not just something projected for the Christmas show. Looking forward to the answer!

markp
markp on August 22, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Hi Vito. My wife will be going back to the hall to work on the Christmas show again this year. Sure wish someday I could get to see this booth, but I know it will probably never happen. My movie days were over as of May. Digital you know, put me out of work. It sounds as if those projectors at the hall might be getting a workout soon. Lets hope…..

Vito
Vito on August 22, 2013 at 9:16 am

Mark movies will never die just the film we used to project them.

rcdtrrb you made my day with that comment please please keep us informed on what is going on. Did you ever put that 5th projector back removed for the digital effect projector?

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on August 22, 2013 at 3:36 am

Hey Vito. Don’t worry about the old projectors. We don’t cover them anymore. In fact, we started fixing up the 2 that haven’t been used for a long time. Looks like we may be using them soon……..

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on August 21, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Movies on their last legs? Haven’t we heard that before? With record grosses world wide, a misstep with American audiences this summer is hardly a tragedy. We are simply no longer the major market for the industry. And you couldn’t near the theatres on 42nd street this past weekend with mobs crowding into mediocre titles.

Vito
Vito on August 21, 2013 at 10:21 am

Very good point Stanley well said. Of course those of us who go way back miss the movies at the Hall but it’s just not possible anymore. When I think of those projectors all covered in plastic it can be sad to accept. But the Music Hall lives and that is the important thing

StanleyNorton
StanleyNorton on August 21, 2013 at 4:13 am

Americas Got Talent has been a wonderful commercial for RCMH and what I think is so great is that Samuel Rothaphel’s original idea for this theatre has comes full circle. He designed the theatre as a “music hall” with acts of singers, choral groups, acrobats, dancers, comedians — and today that idea was fulfilled on the “Great Stage” with this TV show. Radio City Music Hall was never intended to be a movie theatre. And as you know Roxy’s “music hall” idea died without movies which were, at the time, the most popular entertainment of that day. So movies were put in with a stage show and it became the most successful theatre in history. Now, movies in theatres seem to be on their last legs and here is Radio City Music Hall doing what Roxy wanted it to be.

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on August 15, 2013 at 3:08 am

What’s so significant about a 71st anniversary? Big celebrations are usually reserved for 25th, 50th, 75th and 100th.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on August 13, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Spoiler alert. ..his mom gets shot.

Coate
Coate on August 13, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Seventy-one? Hypocrite!

Vito
Vito on August 8, 2013 at 9:23 am

NYer I appreciate what you wrote I need to accept change and be happy we still have the “Grande Dame”, as you wrote we almost lost her. I just like the Hall to stay as it was and seeing it now I get nervous we will loose the charm of the original but since this is only temporary In will try and be more accepting. Thanks again for your response to my rant I guess I needed that.

NewYorker64
NewYorker64 on August 8, 2013 at 1:20 am

Also, you have to remember, television transmission from RCMH is high-definition now, which amps up the intensity of this visual in a big way, giving it a bit of Las Vegas gloss and less of the old-school opulence that we all love!

NYer
NYer on August 8, 2013 at 1:00 am

Sorry you weren’t happy Vito about the look on America’s Got Talent". I think the Grande Dame looks amazing. You know how close RCMH came to being another nondescript office building. She’s alive and well on the number one show on TV. The Judges, contestants and the host all talk constantly about how iconic and important the theater is and how honored everyone is to perform on that stage. When the show ends, it’ll be put back in original condition. All new generations that have never been to NYC are seeing it shine. It’s all good.

Garth
Garth on August 7, 2013 at 11:42 pm

I recalled seeing the movie version of “1776” 40 years ago on an 8th grade class trip, in a huge Manhattan theatre. Thinking it might be The Ziegfeld I checked the NY Times archive, and it actually played here. The movie was a bore but at least I can say I once saw a film in Radio City Music Hall.

Vito
Vito on July 29, 2013 at 11:09 am

Last nights “America’s Got Talent” was televised from RCMH; not a fan of the show but I wanted to see the Hall so tuned in. What I saw was a set that completely covered the proscenium and the gold curtain. I was not amused.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on May 12, 2013 at 3:45 pm

The 1922 Robin Hood is shown at a Broadway theater in new The Great Gatsby film. If anyone knows where, you might wish to post on that theater’s page.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on May 12, 2013 at 3:35 pm

That Robin Hood movie is still my favorite Robin Hood movie of all time. Much better than the Disney, Kevin Costner, Mel Brooks, and Russell Crowe versions.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on April 30, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I wonder if the nfl draft will continue its run at the hall…seems that it’s a popular venue for nfl fans across america. As for awards shows, the Oscars should not play at this venue….it was meant to be in hollywood.

Vito
Vito on April 30, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I watched the Tony Award nominations this morning and was happy to hear that after two years at the Beacon the award ceremony will return to Radio City this year.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on March 31, 2013 at 2:47 am

I forget which movie attraction it was (maybe “Tom Sawyer?” or Disney’s “Robin Hood?”) but I can recall seeing the trailer for “Mame” at the Hall, and it was so long, that I remember my aunt rhetorically asking, “why come to see the movie, they’re practically showing the whole thing right now?!”

Ironically, we did go back and see “Mame” at the Hall, anyway!

Vito
Vito on March 29, 2013 at 9:25 am

Thanks Robert I knew you would be the one to answer that trailers question. I recall loving the days when a new fresh box of snipes arrived from Filmack. Mike that “Curtain Raiser” term comes from the company that supplies many of the personalised trailers used today. But yes policy trailers are what they basically are.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 29, 2013 at 3:24 am

Vito calls those strips “curtain raisers” but aren’t they also called “policy trailers?”