Uptown Theater

3426 Connecticut Avenue NW,
Washington, DC 20008

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on March 31, 2008 at 2:51 pm

If they do DLP the Uptown, they’d better go with something a little ahead of the game. Supposedly Muvico was to install Sony 4K systems in their venues, but nothing has happened that I’m aware of, yet. They don’t even advertise that they have DP movies when they have them.

If and when AMC does a DP install here, they’ll have opportunity to tout this venue as DC’s premier state-of-the-art motion picture venue. I wouldn’t mind frequenting this place again for DP movies rather than either the smallish AMC Georgetown or Regal Gallery DP auditoriums, if its done well. When they premiered “The Guardian” here a year or so ago, they supposedly temp installed some kind of DP system.

Judging by the looks of the “Speed Racer” trailer, that would be an excellent candidate for a large screen DP presentation. The exaggerated color schemes brings back the memory of how when color tv was new in the 70s.

Giles
Giles on March 31, 2008 at 9:18 am

Given the news that AMC would begin the slow rollout of DLP'ing all it’s screens – I would assume the Uptown can and might be upgraded (if AMC doesn’t go with it’s rumoured plan on not keeping the theatre after it’s lease expires) – can a screen this large and degree of screen curvature prove problematic – the only incentive of DLP is that the projector darkness that some films have had in the past might be corrected, likewise color contrast and brightness will be more consistent.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on February 5, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Pedas owns the Uptown & did a GREAT job as Circle Uptown in operating it. They know the value of having excellent standards in the theater, and could bring 35 mm blockbusters & 70 mm classics to the huge screen.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on February 5, 2008 at 1:39 pm

If that’s the case, let Pedas re-open the MacArthur since the CVS conversion was minimal as I surmise the lobby area is the store front today. :)

rcdalek
rcdalek on February 5, 2008 at 10:49 am

The Pedas Brothers own a lot of property in and around the District. I believe that Ted Pedas is still involved with the local National Association of Theater Owners and he definitely supports the local theater scene. Also I wonder how long the non compete clause was when they sold Circle to Cineplex. Maybe AFI could do that double billing?

Myrna38717
Myrna38717 on January 17, 2008 at 7:06 pm

My understanding is that one of the Pedas Brothers (who used to run the Circle) owns the Uptown, not AMC. A long time ago, when the brothers closed the Circle, they promised to reopen it — and they did, sort of, via the Foundry and Jenifer discount theaters. But it was never quite the same; the spirit of the Circle just wasn’t there. I know they’re probably ancient by now, and that they support local theaters (always see their names onscreen at the AFI before the movies) but I think they still owe the moviegoing public on that old promise — I have one friend who is still holding onto his Circle ticket book for just that day. They can start with a double bill of “Picnic at Hanging Rock” and “The Last Wave”. Who’s with me?

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on January 17, 2008 at 6:44 pm

I suspect the Indian staff that are there may be the same ones that were running the theater when I saw the last SW film there back in ‘05. They do speak English, but I think the better question to ask is if they know how to run a theater..the projector, make sure the picture looks and sound the way it is supposed to. If they offered Indian snacks like samosas and pakoras, along with the usual theater food, I would buy them! :)

They should at least mix up the programming to include classic films (70mm) and not just the latest Hollywood offerings.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on January 17, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Stating the facts is not encouraging people to stop going. This has been an ongoing issue with the big chain theaters. They just don’t care about the customers.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 17, 2008 at 12:29 pm

I haven’t perceived any of those problems, including with “I am Legend” last month. The staff does speak English.

We can sit around whining about ALL or almost all of various national chain theaters, but we can’t be assured anybody else would operate any such theater! I doubt RIVJR is going to lead the Uptown effort. The Avalon effort was a lot of work, for a smaller theater that found an arthouse niche.

The Uptown is still an incredible experience. Again, encouraging AMC to depart or people not to attend may simply lead to permanent closure. The last minute effort to get another theater operator to Mann’s National in Los Angeles is answered now, with demolition.

rlvjr
rlvjr on January 17, 2008 at 12:23 pm

I’ve enjoyed hundreds of movies at the UPTOWN over the past 5 decades; but unfortunately AMC has apparently targeted the UPTOWN to be driven out of business. In the familiar pattern of new owners wanting to close an unwanted outlet, AMC has turned to providing the poorest service to customers, hoping they don’t return; then citing low attendance as justification for closure.

For over 60 years, under both Warner and Cineplex Odeon ownership, the UPTOWN was the crown jewel of excellence, including the finest projection and sound on their giant screen. But now, under AMC bad management, the projection quality has become the poorest in DC. The picture is big, of course, but is sadly lacking in sharpness, contrast and brightness. Not just with the current I AM LEGEND, but with ALL of the previous 7 pictures we’ve seem there. Also, the all non-English speaking staff lingers in the lobby, with lobby doors open, yacking away through the show.

Washington’s other stand-alone theatre is the AVALON, further up Connecticut Avenue. Although the Avalon is much older, their picture quality is now superior to the UPTOWN’s intentional low quality.

The only hope for a continuing survival of the UPTOWN is to shed the destructive AMC ownership and have it in the hands of persons who appreciate the fine venue the UPTOWN was from 1939 through 2005.

Giles
Giles on January 15, 2008 at 8:14 am

is there any new news about the future of Uptown? I thought the end of lease for AMC was looming?

JackCoursey
JackCoursey on January 15, 2008 at 7:19 am

Here and here are my contributions to the photo gallery. By chance does anyone have any interior photos they would like to share?

JackCoursey
JackCoursey on January 15, 2008 at 7:19 am

MikeRadio
MikeRadio on January 13, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Now that AMC has closed the DUpont Circle 6, I hope the Uptown (which can’t make any money during the week during a movie that has been out awhile) is not next!

rcdalek
rcdalek on December 29, 2007 at 10:48 pm

The reason that your national guard commercial sounded better at the UPTOWN is most likely that the uptown is still using actual film stock for their pre show commercials thereby using the same sound setup that they would use for the movie. If I remember correctly the uptown still just has the slide projector for ads, while MAZZA is part of AMC’s National Cinemedia Network so that the commercials are being run through the HD projector and the sound is being presented through an aux or non-sync channel which is not as rich as the 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby Digital systems.

SWATMAN
SWATMAN on December 25, 2007 at 5:42 am

Yes Howard you are right. The Uptown did have the D.C. premiere of “Charlie Wilson’s War” that week.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 25, 2007 at 3:17 am

I meant to continue: as far as I’m concerned, there’s no other film experience like the Uptown from New York to D.C. I certainly hope the Uptown continues to show movies!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 25, 2007 at 3:15 am

JodarMovieFan, Mazza Gallerie’s auditoriums WERE THX certified when GCC opened it in 2000. I saw Day After Tomorrow June 2004 at the Ziegfeld, so you haven’t been to the Mazza Gallerie in awhile. AMC didn’t present a THX trailer on Sunday. The National Guard trailer looked small on the Mazza screen (Aud 2) compared to the Uptown, and the Mazza did not have the sound turned up for it! Sound better for the movie, but not compared to the Uptown sound which rocks! They told me biggest Aud is 1. 1 & 2 are first in. I’ve seen one movie each in Auds 1 to 4.

I don’t know what AMC plans are, whether they depart the Uptown next year.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on December 24, 2007 at 7:21 pm

Howard, but all of Mazza’s screens are THX certified! How can this be?? Actually, at Mazza, my favorite is the largest one as you get off the escalator. I’m assuming its #1, but am not 100% sure. The sound is always terrific with discernible surround sounds and good sight lines. The last movie I saw there (#1) was..Day After Tomorrow.

Any word on its possible demise? Or it being sold? (The Uptown, not Mazza)

longislandmovies
longislandmovies on December 24, 2007 at 1:22 pm

HOW MANY PEOPLE FOR THE SHOW AT 7PM????

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on December 24, 2007 at 12:26 pm

I saw “I am Legend” 7 PM Saturday eve. I’d rather union projectionists but the projection was fine. Sound was great- the Uptown always has one of the most powerful sound systems on Earth!

Sunday, I saw Charlie Wilson’s War at the Mazza Gallerie. The National Guard commercial, showing helicopters & soldiers, wasn’t one bit as impressive as it was at the Uptown’s screen the day before!

Washington Post mentioned a D.C. premiere of “Charlie Wilson’s War” the week before. Piddy, was that at the Uptown?

unc1dmo
unc1dmo on November 29, 2007 at 3:35 pm

The Washington Post
Date: Oct 29, 1936 (NOT 1933)

The Uptown Theater, Warner Bros, new picture playhouse, located on Connecticut avenue at Newark street, will be dedicated this Thursday evening, October 29, at 8:15 o'clock, according to an announcement made late yesterday by John J. Payette, Warner Bros, gen- eral zone manager.

SWATMAN
SWATMAN on November 5, 2007 at 8:59 am

It’s the premiere of “Lions for Lambs” this Wednesday.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 5, 2007 at 3:42 am

Somewhere online says “Blade Runner, the Final Cut” is a 2 week engagement.

There’s no movie listed online at AMC website for this Wednesday.

Perhaps the premiere of “Lions for Lambs” or “No Country for Old Men”?

bufffilmbuff
bufffilmbuff on October 30, 2007 at 8:11 am

I was there for the Saturday screening of BLADE RUNNER and the projection and sound were great. Let us hope that this theatre stays open. There is nothing like seeing a film on the giant curved screen.