TCL Chinese Theatre

6925 Hollywood Boulevard,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Showing 176 - 200 of 1,541 comments

RogerA
RogerA on October 7, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Things in the Chinese Theater do rattle with heavy base. It takes a lot of audio power to fill that theater and there are a lot of things to rattle.

KramSacul
KramSacul on October 7, 2013 at 11:17 am

Anyone else notice the rattling behind the screen during bass heavy scenes? I think a speaker is either blown or something is not secured. Needless to say it happened a lot during Gravity.

Still really impressed with the presentation. 3-D, picture, sound is really top notch not to mention the spacious seating. Yes, I wish they would mask the top and bottom for scope films but that’s a minor quibble since the blank space disappears into the darkness.

Cliffs
Cliffs on October 6, 2013 at 8:42 am

Well, I’ve read that Lincoln Square is 97'x76', so the Chinese is almost the same width (97' vs 90'), but not nearly as tall (76' vs 46'). Doesn’t really matter with Gravity though, because Gravity is a constant 2.4:1, so both screens use up roughly the same real estate.

And yes, some LA theaters do still offer matinee discounts except they’re like $12 or $13 now. But Arclight doesn’t… no.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 4, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Hello From NYC-

i will be seeing Gravity tomorrow at the Loew’s Lincoln Square IMAX auditorium which has reserved seating. when i purchased my ticket and the screen comes up with the seating plan i noticed all the seats in the middle had been taken which was fine by me. i’m tall and have no idea what the leg room space is between seats. i chose an aisle seat on the right with no seat in front of it which is great since i have long legs. in terms of overall size if the Lincoln Square screen is a 10 what’s the Chinese screen?

also do theaters in L.A. still have the discount before 5p.m. they still did when i was last out in Spring 2004. all AMC theaters have a discount before 12p.m. on weekends so i got that discount plus a senior discount so the ticket cost $15.

Cliffs
Cliffs on October 4, 2013 at 1:26 pm

They’re leaving it unmasked (for now). I suspect they are trying to impress people with the screen size in these early days. It’s also the reason I think they have the curtain open before the show, because they closed it when it was over. There also was no pre-show, although we walked in about 2 minutes to showtime so maybe it was just over by then. I just think the game plan is to try and wow people upon first entering the theater. I know I was wowed. Yes, I’d like to see them start using the masking, but I’m willing to cut them some slack these first couple months. I honestly never even really noticed the lack of top/bottom masking. I can say for sure… I feel sorry for the people seeing Gravity at the Dome.

KramSacul
KramSacul on October 4, 2013 at 11:33 am

Are they masking the screen for 2.35:1, leaving it unmasked (yuck) or is Gravity taking up the whole screen? I guess I’ll find out tomorrow. They really need to get rid of the Screenvision preshow. Totally ruins the atmosphere and it looks like garbage.

Cliffs
Cliffs on October 4, 2013 at 10:37 am

The IMAX renovation at the Chinese is GORGEOUS!! Definitely feels different, but was great to see the place so busy for Gravity. There was a line on Hollywood Blvd to buy tickets and for a moment, I was confuse as to why all those people were there (It’s been a while since she was this happening).

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on October 4, 2013 at 4:52 am
  1. Reserved seating is in use by almost all of the major theaters in LA nowadays. I love it. A lot less hassle…no more standing in line for hours trying to get a good seat.

2. The ticket price here is $1 less than the ArcLight Cinerama Dome around the corner – which is not IMAX but is 3D capable. ArcLight members get $1 off their ticket which only equates to 50 cents less than Chinese.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on October 3, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Hello From NYC-

I read in one of the first comments posted after the theater re-opened that the people showing you to your seats were a bit overwhelmed by the crowd. what’s wrong with the good old fashioned first come first served policy? good old regular 2-D movies are rather expensive at least in Manhattan. 3-d films are are that much more expensive and IMAX 3-D films are additionally more expensive. so no matter how good the film might be are reserved seat IMAX 3-D films really worth what i’m guessing is a really expensive ticket?

dctrig
dctrig on October 3, 2013 at 3:52 pm

The large ceiling light cover is new, as well as the lanterns against the sides of the auditorium. I never see a movie at Arclight when I can see “Gravity” at the Vista, $5.50 senior and $6.50 first show.

markinthedark
markinthedark on October 2, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Chinese 6 now has showtimes for Gravity as well. I wonder if this will be the new booking pattern: Chinese complex plays IMAX titles, Arclight rejects and move-overs. Arclight plays anything they want. Will be interesting to see what happens with the next Disney IMAX title.

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on October 2, 2013 at 2:36 am

Ditto for Chinese’s competitors around the corner…

markinthedark
markinthedark on October 2, 2013 at 1:17 am

Both the Chinese and the Chinese 6 now have tickets on sale for Hunger Games: Catching Fire

markinthedark
markinthedark on October 1, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Now that we know Chinese IMAX and Arclight Hollywood will be playing Gravity simultaneously the question are will the Chinese 6 be showing alternate showtimes as well (no listings yet on the website) and could the Chinese share future bookings with other theaters like the El Capitan (Episode VII playing across the street from each other!!).

The Seattle Cinerama books the same films as a Regal and AMC that are only blocks away.

Cliffs
Cliffs on October 1, 2013 at 7:25 am

Well, Good luck to those willing to suffer the world’s worst 3D in the Dome when there is a superior alternative down the street.

Escott O. Norton
Escott O. Norton on October 1, 2013 at 7:19 am

dctrig, As others have mentioned, the ceiling and other historical elements were not changed, just better lit. LEDs were used to replace some old incandescents, but there are still a lot of original lighting that is not being used. As RogerA mentioned, there were 3 different circuits of color in the ceiling, my understanding is that those are not in use at all. I hope to report later with more details on the lighting!

Escott O. Norton
Escott O. Norton on October 1, 2013 at 7:09 am

BigJoe, In my opinion the 3D IMAX version of Wizard of Oz was wonderful! I have seen the movie countless times, including on the big screen twice. The 3D was subtle, not over-the-top “in your face”, but just accentuated the already beautiful photography. Small parts worked best for me, the Wicked Witch’s fingers, flowers in Munchkin Land, etc. The IMAX large screen conversion was much more impressive, I noticed things I have never seen before, camera moves that were amazing, subtleties of the actors faces, details of the production design, etc. The tornado scene was absolutely terrifying! For me it was VERY worth seeing in 3D IMAX!

Chris Utley
Chris Utley on October 1, 2013 at 6:49 am

So (ahem)…just found out that GRAVITY is also playing in the Cinerama Dome. Yup. The same movie at Chinese and the Dome. Absolutely insane.

Oh well…IMAX trumps Dome all day every day in my book!

Shout out to CT member BRADE48 for first posting the info.

RogerA
RogerA on September 28, 2013 at 4:27 pm

It was a wise decision to use LED lights. At one time there were three different lighting circuits in the ceiling with three different colored bulbs. Changing the intensity of each color would produce a different effect. All those incandescent bulbs took a lot of electricity.

CTCrouch
CTCrouch on September 28, 2013 at 4:11 am

dctrig: as far as the ceiling goes, it looks different because they switched over to LED lighting; bringing out a lot of the detail which was not as visible under the previous incandescent lighting.

dctrig
dctrig on September 28, 2013 at 1:51 am

Went to the 10PM “Metallica” show on Thursday night with about 700 other people. Because of the glass box office partition I could not see the seat numbers the clerk showed me on the tablet. I pointed to one but ended up once inside with a much farther back seat. I moved up one or two rows to an aisle seat on the right aisle. It turned out fine as far as a viewing experience. If I go again I will buy at the upstairs box office where I can confirm my selection with no glass barrier. I noticed the two Chinese prints in the mens room foyer have been replaced by black and white celebrity photos. The seats are better than before but the seat cushion is a bit hard. I hope someone posts side by side before and after photos of the main ceiling and other areas, showing the various changes. The restoration gets an A- from me.

bigjoe59
bigjoe59 on September 27, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Hello From NYC-

aside from the hoopla about the Chinese re-opening has there been much talk in the press about the 3-D IMAX The Wizard of Oz? the film opened last Fri.9/20 at 2 of the 3 IMAX screens in Manhattan with no publicity whatsoever.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on September 26, 2013 at 8:09 am

One final post from me tonight, I am sure if they really wanted to put in a screen as tall as Metreon or Lincoln square they could have, but it would have come at a huge cost, the loss of the beautiful historic architecture.

I think what the chinese has now is the best of both worlds You have all the historic beauty intact and an incredibly large screen, and a return of great movies to the chinese and great crowds for shows playing in the middle of the week.

with 15/70 going bye bye there is no need for a taller screen than what they put in.

I am sure some will disagree, but thats my outlook on it.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on September 26, 2013 at 7:59 am

its funny when you call up and ask Citywalk the management refuses to say how big the screen is, I have called several times to ask and I get the same we don’t know response or we are not permited to say.

Robert_G_Kelley
Robert_G_Kelley on September 26, 2013 at 7:57 am

Hdtv I think the numbers you found for the Metreon are off a bit,
The Lincoln Square IMAX is actually bigger than the Metreon not the other way around.