El Capitan Theatre

6838 Hollywood Boulevard,
Hollywood,
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 10, 2006 at 6:19 pm

I recently posted more LA ads on the following pages:

/theaters/1/

/theaters/4/

/theaters/33/

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 10, 2006 at 6:15 pm

The LA Times is in the microfilm collection at the New York Public Library – Main Branch. I assumed only New York papers would be there, and they have all of them, but it was a pleasant surprise to see they carried LA as well. And it’s a self-service system, which is a big timesaver if you want to look at a lot of different dates. I’ll be going back for more very soon.

evidonr
evidonr on September 10, 2006 at 10:40 am

Good question, haineshisway. I’ve been looking for exactly these LA newspaper pages myself, and I suspect many others are too. I haven’t come across any online.

haineshisway
haineshisway on September 10, 2006 at 8:10 am

Bill, where are you finding these LA newspaper movie sections? Online? I have quite a few LA newspaper movie sections from the 50s and 60s (the actual newspapers) but I’m always looking for more.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on September 10, 2006 at 6:21 am

From the Los Angeles Times, December 1961: a rare, non-Hitchcock instance of a director starring in the ad for his own movie:

William
William on August 2, 2006 at 1:53 pm

The magazine is in my files at home, but it dates from around 1942 from that major remodel.

evidonr
evidonr on August 2, 2006 at 1:42 pm

Could you give me details of the magazine article so I can try to find it?

William
William on August 2, 2006 at 1:09 pm

I have a magazine that has an article that shows pictures of the complete remodel job that they did to the Paramount during that time. That was the best waterfall curtain in the city.

JimRankin
JimRankin on August 2, 2006 at 11:24 am

Photos of virtually every major theatre in America are at the Theatre Historical Society of America, and they can be reached via their web site: www.historictheatres.org where on their front page is the link ARCHIVE; the fee to search for and copy their photos is given there.

evidonr
evidonr on July 30, 2006 at 7:19 pm

Thanks for the photo of the Paramount exterior. Does anyone know of a photo of the auditorium from the 1950s. It was extremely beautiful, and that magnificent screen curtain raising and lowering was in its way even more dramatic than the El Capitan’s now. The end of “Vertigo” could never be as devastating at any other theatre as it was at the Hollywood Paramount in 1958.

haineshisway
haineshisway on July 30, 2006 at 3:33 pm

That’s what I’M talkin' about. :–)

BhillH20
BhillH20 on July 30, 2006 at 2:30 pm

It would be even more interesting if that site was working…

haineshisway
haineshisway on July 30, 2006 at 1:54 pm

I don’t know about anyone else here, but the photos I’D like to see would be of the Paramount. The El Capitan exists and we’ve all seen plenty of recent photos. The Paramount, on the other hand, doesn’t exist and those photos would be of interest.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 20, 2006 at 2:31 pm

Thanks for the info, gentleman.

William
William on July 20, 2006 at 2:21 pm

When Loew’s ran the house in the late 60’s it was known as the “Loews” on Hollywood Blvd.. And when GCC bought the Loews chain’s West Coast operations the theatre was known as the “Cinema” on Hollywood Blvd. and would stay like that till SRO returned the Paramount name back to the theatre.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on July 20, 2006 at 2:14 pm

Ken: The Hollywood branch of Barker Bros. furniture store may have been an original tenant of the El Capitan building. Barker Bros. was L.A.’s major furniture emporium, founded about 1880 and closed in 1992. Their huge main store on 7th Street downtown was built in the 1920’s, but the company was always one of the city’s most progressive and may have planted a branch in Hollywood in that same period. I know that by the 1940’s, they had branches in many suburban shopping districts considerably less affluent than Hollywood.

William
William on July 20, 2006 at 2:05 pm

Barker Brothers had a store in what is now the Disney store on the ground level of the building.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 20, 2006 at 1:40 pm

So what about the furniture? The public wants to know…

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on July 19, 2006 at 8:28 pm

Very cool the way they are placing marketing materials above the marquee and box office as in the old days.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on July 19, 2006 at 8:16 pm

It opened as a playhouse with the name El Capitan, was later renamed the Paramount, and then the original name was restored by the Disney Company with their 1990’s renovation.

haineshisway
haineshisway on July 19, 2006 at 8:06 pm

Yes, it was the Paramount all through the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s, right up until Disney did its thing.

Bway
Bway on July 19, 2006 at 7:52 pm

Was it the Paramount until Disney took it over, and Disney renamed it the EL Capitan?

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on July 19, 2006 at 7:34 pm

Ken: It was the other El Capitan, the one on Vine Street north of Hollywood Boulevard, which was the venue for Nixon’s “Checkers” speech. At that time, the Hollywood Boulevard El Capitan was called the Paramount and was exclusively a movie house.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 19, 2006 at 6:15 pm

I’m a little confused by this photo. I understand that Loew’s ran the theater for a while, but did they sell furniture out of the building as well? By the way, the El Capitan was where Richard Nixon broadcast his Checkers speech in 1952: