Radio City Music Hall

1260 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 176 - 200 of 3,422 comments

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on March 26, 2013 at 10:59 am

It’s funny that you mention that. I don’t know the answer but I was going through the film vault a few weeks ago and found that snipe along with many others.

StanleyNorton
StanleyNorton on March 26, 2013 at 9:42 am

For years I have enjoyed all the comments from people who have intimate knowledge and information about RCMH. I have attended the theatre many, many times when it was operating as a movie theatre ( and for the last some 30 years as a concert venue and for the Christmas show). I have a very trivial question to ask. Why did they run a specially made trailer (rather than the studio trailer) to advertise the next feature to play? If I remember correctly it was a simple graphic presentation or scroll accompanied by the organ. Was it to personalize the information and to also say something about the next stage presentation? Just wondering. I mean it was not an introduction to a studio trailer (as most theatres did at the time) but and entity to itself.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on March 22, 2013 at 6:57 am

Sixty-eight years ago today, RCMH opened its 1945 Easter holiday show with the world premiere engagement of MGM’s B&W comedy, “Without Love,” which reunited Katharine Hepburn & Spencer Tracy and provided Lucille Ball with a scene-stealing supporting role. The two-part stage spectacular opened with the religious “Glory of Easter,” followed by the secular “Spring Is Here.”

Ian
Ian on March 15, 2013 at 2:15 am

A view of the foyer taken in 2000 here:–

RADIO CITY FOYER

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on March 5, 2013 at 9:30 am

Both “Gunga Din” and “Stagecoach” are bona fide all-time greats. Two bright and shiny jewels in the magnificent crown that was 1939 for the motion picture industry. “Made For Each Other,” its legendary stars notwithstanding, perhaps not so much.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on March 5, 2013 at 7:26 am

A letter from Lassie: Boxoffice

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on March 2, 2013 at 1:30 pm

For the curious, “Stagecoach” did not follow “Gunga Din” into RCMH. In between was Selznick-UA’s B&W “Made For Each Other” (Carole Lombard-James Stewart) with stage show.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on March 2, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Seventy-four years ago today (3/2), John Ford’s “Stagecoach,” now considered one of the greatest American movies of any genre, opened its NYC premiere engagement at RCMH. Produced by Walter Wanger for United Artists release, the B&W western had a cast of rising stars and character veterans, including Claire Trevor, John Wayne, Andy Devine, John Carradine, and Thomas Mitchell. Russell Markert’s stage revue, “Wedding Rhyme,” followed an overture of Charles Gounod’s classical melodies. Walt Disney’s Technicolor cartoon, “Farmyard Symphony,” provided a screen bonus.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on January 26, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Seventy-four years ago today (1/26), RKO’s “Gunga Din,” a B&W adventure directed by George Stevens with Cary Grant, Victor McLaglen, and Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. topping the cast, opened its world premiere engagement at RCMH. The stage show, “The Waltz King,” was entirely devoted to the beloved melodies of Johann Strauss.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on January 9, 2013 at 9:38 am

This Friday (January 11th) will mark the 80th anniversary of RCMH’s re-launching with the policy of an outstanding feature movie and spectacular stage revue. Four complete shows were given daily during the week, and five on Saturday, Sunday, and holidays. I’ve posted an ad in the Photos Section with more details.

Vito
Vito on December 22, 2012 at 3:10 am

The use of more film is good to hear, Digital has it’s place to be sure but 35/70mm has a quality all it’s own and cannot be allowed to simply vanish. Please keep us informed on any develops regarding the use of film at the Music Hall

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 21, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I guess it doesn’t look better to the people that tested film and digital last year. According to them, the film 3D looked better on the huge screen. Digital couldn’t even fill it. As far as the 2D, there was no clear winner between the 2. We still run film for the Christmas show too.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on December 21, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Really rcdt55b? Film at RCMH in 2013, when digital looks so much better in this barn of a venue.

Talk about too much time on your hands….

markp
markp on December 21, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I wish I could get copies of those pictures to add to my collection. This projectionist of 37 years only has memories left now that theatres have gone digital. All i have left is a gig in the Count Basie theatre in red bank NJ. Simplex XL’s reel to reel. (20 min.)

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on December 21, 2012 at 1:16 pm

The film projectors may be used some more in the upcoming future. We will be testing some film elements in a few weeks.

markp
markp on December 21, 2012 at 1:00 pm

rcdt55b, some people have way too much time on their hands. I loved your booth photos. I still wish someday I could get up there to see it, but I know its next to impossible. Christmas show ends next weekend so my wife will be finished there till probably next year.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on December 17, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Christimas Spectacular promotional video: radiocitychristmas

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 24, 2012 at 4:02 pm

NBC TV’s 1st look show is right now doing an inside look at Radio City’s Christmas show

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 24, 2012 at 10:32 am

I wish it was easier to get someone up here. It’s hard enough getting in myself sometimes. I do the same thing when I go to theaters. Always looking to the booth.

markp
markp on November 24, 2012 at 9:51 am

rcdt55b, I wish someday, this ol projectionist of almost 37 years could somehow pay a visit and see the projection booth. My wife works the Christmas show every year as a dresser for the Rockettes. I saw the show a few weeks ago, on the 8th. Great as always. I found myself several times looking back up to the portholes. I was 8 rows from the stage. Funny how you tend to do that when your a projectionist.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 24, 2012 at 8:50 am

We get 2 new prints, at the beginning of the run, when they change any of the sponsors. The current print started at the beginning of last years show. We just started using the backup print a few days ago.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 24, 2012 at 8:29 am

how old is the film print?

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 24, 2012 at 7:20 am

Interestingly, very few issues so far this year. They seem to have fixed the bus (finally) and video wall. Thank goodness the film is still in………

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on November 24, 2012 at 6:28 am

The New York Times has reviewed the 2012 Christmas Spectacular here: nytimes

jgraif
jgraif on November 12, 2012 at 9:31 pm

i remember standing in line with my parents in the early 1960’s, in the bitter, nyc, winter cold, waiting to enter the music hall and enjoy the xmas show. i had no idea that, in an already forgotten era, such lines were common at the “premier” houses, where patrons would be entertained by small, “lobby organs” while they waited to be seated. in my case, my father would send my mother and me down to the underground concourse that connected all of rockefeller center to seek warmth while he endured the cold. once inside, i was mesmerized by the organ and its power. all i wanted was to play it. fortunately, i was afforded the chance in 1980, when i played 8 performances of the stage show “america” as a substitute at the opposite prompt (stage right) console. i was supporting my good friend, bob maidhof, who, at the time, was the head organist. as a friend of mine remarked at the time, “if you were a baseball player, this would have been your night in yankee stadium.”