Loew's Paradise Theatre

2413 Grand Concourse,
Bronx, NY 10468

AntonyRoma on May 24, 2007 at 12:02 pm

EdS, the image opened fine today, with reduced size map and controls to one side, vs map wholly filling pannel yesterday.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on May 24, 2007 at 11:26 am

‘Tonino… If you click the link and then open the window fully, you can close the map that obscures the image by clicking on the small up-arrowhead next to “2D 3D”. You can alos close the “Welcome” pane at left by clicking the “X”. That should offer you a clear view of the image.

AntonyRoma on May 24, 2007 at 12:20 am

EdS, Your ‘aerial image’ opened as a google map with the Van Wyck Expy going thru the middle. ????

AntonyRoma on May 24, 2007 at 12:12 am

EdS, I would asssume that exterior signage must be consistent with naming designation contained in the Landmark Commission Report. For a theater to be worthy of landmark designation, I would guess the name used would be its name when originally opened.

Michael____ the guy from ?Forest Hills? who is associated with the commission, or researches landmark projects would knoe the specifics

Shalom, ciao, and excelsior

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on May 23, 2007 at 3:19 pm

‘Tonino, you bring up a point that I’ve been mulling over regarding this theater. Is the “Loew’s Paradise Theater” sunburst sign covered by the building’s landmark designation? The name “Loew’s” is now owned by AMC… I thought that signage that included company brands were exempt from landmark protection. Just wondering if the name “Loew’s” will ever be physically removed from the building. I presume that the owners would be able to replace the name on the sign, provided they did so in a manner that was consistent with the original design and met with the LPC’s satisfaction.

I agree with Warren that “Utopia’s Paradise” is a clumsy and ill-advised moniker. It sounds very fly-by-night.

Not to go off-topic here, but this is a well attended page and I’d like to beg the indulgence of all by inquiring about a building on 144th Place just north of Archer Ave in Jamaica, Queens. I noticed it from the window of an LIRR train as I was pulling into Jamaica station and it appeared very much to be a former theater building. My curiosity piqued, I took a drive to the area and discovered that it was a nightclub/performance space currently knows as the Amazura Music Hall. The building itself is old and has a peaked roof very much like those of most old theaters and the facade is ornamented in a way that also suggests it might have been a theater or perhaps ballroom? The address is 91-12 144th Place and all I can find is a build date of 1968 (the structure is certainly much older than that) and info that shows it was converted from a warehouse in the 1990’s.

Does anyone know of this building’s history and/or any possible affiliation with movie or theatrical presentation?

Here’s an aerial image of the building looking west towards the entrance.

AntonyRoma on May 18, 2007 at 4:14 pm

The name currently on the building is Loew’s Pardise,the same as it was when built. See photo in the Norwich Bulletin article (below the clock and above the sunburst). I have emailed the reporter to ask where she got the name she included in the caption to the photo.

In the NY Times article of October 22,2005, Lieblich stated that one of the keys to making the project profitable, is renting the 30,000 square feet of commercial space that is part of the theater building to a significant retailer. By LM’s premise, continuation of the name ‘Loew’s Paradise’ seems assured.

Shalom, ciao, and excelsior

AntonyRoma on May 18, 2007 at 12:42 pm

Warren, thanks. I now see “Utopia’s Paradise” under the ticket column. It appears only in hype by Gentile, one of the principals of Utopia Ltd. They appear to be the promoter’s of shows who are tenants in the builder still owned by the developer, Gerald Lieblich, according to the article posted by Lost Memory. (Big thank you LostMemory, ;–)) First Paradise Theater Corp. is the name of Lieblich’s company. The theater will always be known as the Paradise to Bronxites.

Just this kid from Glendale,
Shalom, ciao, and excelsior

AntonyRoma on May 17, 2007 at 7:04 pm

“[urlhttp://www.evcforum.net/WebPages/UBBCode.html]This website[/url]” w/o = operator for display purposes

This website

Thanks. works here, now. But I know I used those brackets originally. Shouldn’t it work in email too?

AntonyRoma on May 17, 2007 at 5:36 pm

lostmemory, thanks. The procedure is straightforward. And should be idiotproof. !!!! But I can’t get it to work in these comments or in trial email. groan. I can’t figure out what is wrong. 100 years from now. (url=www.whatever.net)groan(/url). I’ve been usin real urls

Shalom, ciao, and excelsior

AntonyRoma on May 17, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Patrick Crowley, one rarely gets to praise theater highlights these days. May I suggest that you update the description for the Loew’s Paradise to include information contained in the NYC Landmarks Preservation Report of May 2006.

Shalom, ciao, and excelsior

AntonyRoma on May 17, 2007 at 2:14 pm

LostMemory, how do you imbed an active URL into descriptive words the way you do?

Shalom, ciao, and excelsior

AntonyRoma on May 17, 2007 at 2:11 pm

Warren, what was the site where you saw several mentions of “UTOPIA"S PARADISE”?

Shalom, ciao, and excelsior

AntonyRoma on May 17, 2007 at 2:09 pm

Lostmemory, thanks for your interest in my query of May 3rd. The Norwich Bulletin’s reference to Gerald Lieblich’s apparent, new tenant wqs the first reliable one between Utopia Studios Ltd/Joseph Gentile. Lieblich is the owner and responsible for the Paradise’s renovation. Gentile falsely claimed those honors recently, and appears to be a high end flim-flam artist. I posed my question on this to learn what, if any, involvement Gentile had in the Paradise’s ownership or renovation.

Shalom, ciao, and excelsior

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on May 15, 2007 at 11:36 pm

They did get it. That is a pretty cool story.

shoeshoe14
shoeshoe14 on May 15, 2007 at 10:47 pm

They got it. We don’t sell tickets to movies…

rabbitlaz
rabbitlaz on May 15, 2007 at 9:15 pm

I took a group of school kids on a tour of the theatre today. They were in awe at the beauty of this gem. Kids being kids, they asked a few classic questions of the tour guide. “How did they find people so tall, to paint the ceiling?” “With all this cool stuff, who would want to watch a dumb movie?” The staff were very hospitable and even let the kids eat lunch there.

AntonyRoma on May 3, 2007 at 11:53 am

Does anyone know what interest, if any, Utopia Studios Ltd or Joseph Gentile played in the restoration or ownership of the Paradise?

Shalom, ciao, and excelsior

charliek
charliek on March 27, 2007 at 8:22 pm

I live and work in Fordham (grew up in Kingsbridge Heights), so I walk by the Paradise all the time. Was thrilled when I found out the place was being renovated. But, like many of you, became quite disappointed to find out that it would only be used for high-end special events, and then only infrequently. Thus, the poor folks who live right in the neighborhood will have little opportunity to spend time there. On Fridays and Saturdays I walk past and see it dark, and think what a shame that this venue is not being made available for some kind of inexpensive entertainment on a weekly basis. If I win the mega-lottery, I’m going to buy (or lease) the place from the guy who is currently mis-managing it, and turn it back into what it was designed for: a movie palace. No first-run shows (too expensive). Just double- and triple-features of old classics, particularly movies that were filmed in NYC. Ticket price: $10, all the time. Plus, I’ll revive the old-fashioned policy that allowed patrons to stay through multiple showings. Stay all day if you want. Below are my suggestions for double- and triple-features for the first 10 weeks – all movies shot (wholly or partially) in da Bronx:

Gloria (1980)
Fort Apache: The Bronx (1981)

John and Mary (1969)
I like It Like That (1994)

Marty (1955)
The Wanderers (1979)

Awakenings (1990)
Flawless (1999)

Odds Against Tomorrow (1959)
The Gambler (1974)

Serpico (1973)
Carlito’s Way (1993)

Pride of the Yankees (1942)
Babe Ruth Story (1948)

Sins of the Fleshapoids (1965)
Way Out (1967)
The Incident (1967)

True Love (1989)
Love Is All There Is (1996)

Wolfen (1981)
Bronx Warriors (1982)
Emperor of the Bronx (1989)

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on February 16, 2007 at 12:46 pm

50 ft seems puny to me because I remember the large screens of the Rivoli, Warner and Criterion. I understand that in the midwest Cinerama theaters( now destroyed) had screens were up to 90 to 100 feet in width. If only I could have seen them!

Remember when the Jersey plays a wide screen film it fills only half of the screen space as opposed to when they play a film in 1.85 which fills the entire screen. In effect what they are forced to do is letterbox the print which is the exact opposite of what wide screen was trying to do.
By the way I hear the Fox theaters in the midwest have nice large and wide screens.

The widest screen I ever saw was Sevan Brides in the true early cinemascope at Radio city in the late 70’s. Wow that was great. Their Panavision and 70mm screen is no comparison.

PeterApruzzese
PeterApruzzese on January 30, 2007 at 2:54 pm

Bob –

When we were at the Paradise last spring I seem to remember that the proscenium measured out at about 50-55 feet, pretty much the same as the Jersey’s.

Bway
Bway on January 26, 2007 at 12:05 am

Speaking of narrow prosceniums, the Meserole in Brooklyn! That’s the smallest one I have ever seen. It’s now an Eckerd’s pharmacy, and the theater is completely intact (minus the seats of course), and they even project slide sales on the old screen area!
But wow, check out the photos linked there, the proscenium is TINY!

BobFurmanek
BobFurmanek on January 25, 2007 at 8:36 pm

Loew’s Jersey has a narrow proscenium? Geez, at 50 feet with the screen filling that width, a widescreen movie looks pretty good there.

How wide is the proscenium at the Paradise?

VincentParisi
VincentParisi on January 25, 2007 at 7:30 pm

What happened to West Side Story and members of the cast?. This place was built for MGM films from the Hollywood factory days. I want that to be my first visit. How about some cinemascope movies from the 50’s. They would be great there as opposed to the Loews Jersey with its narrow proscenium.

rabbitlaz
rabbitlaz on January 25, 2007 at 6:54 pm

Ed, the Loew’s signage still remains on the facade. As someone who has taken advantage of both the tour and a concert, I would highly recommend it. You’re right the tour was considerably cheaper (only six dollars) but there was something special about attending a concert with the large crowd. I think many posters a reluctant to attend a show for a few reasons…show may not appeal to one’s taste, apprehension about the neighborhood, and/or the feeling that it can never be like “the good old days.” Give it a chance, you might be pleasantly surprised. I went on a tour with my elderly mother who had a fantastic time. In addition, I attended a 70’s soul show with my sister, and we both enjoyed it. Even though I was “not in my element” (we are white and the majority of the audience was black) we were treated warmly and never felt out of place.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 25, 2007 at 2:24 pm

I would also throw in that this theater might appeal to those who are partial to the “atmospheric” design. There aren’t many of those left in NYC. The former Loew’s Valencia in Jamaica is still open as a church and remains in fine condition, although the original color scheme has been obliterated and the atmospheric effect ruined with the inclusion of a large chandelier hanging from the auditorium ceiling. I haven’t been in the fomer Queensboro/Elmwood Theater in Elmhurst long enough to determine if the original atmospheric sky is being restored by the church that now occupies the site. The RKO Keith’s in Flushing has been completely violated and stands only as rubble-strewn ruin awaiting redevelopment. That leaves only the Paradise and (if one crosses the Hudson) the former Stanley in Jersey City (beautifully preserved by the Jehovah’s Witnesses) as examples of this particular style.

Does anyone know if the “Loew’s” signage remains on the facade of the Paradise? Is it protected by landmark designation even though the brand is now owned by AMC Theaters? I’m curious if there is anything going on in that regard by way of litigation between BX Entertainment and AMC.

And just to follow up on rlvjr’s last comment… An excellent suggestion, provided the programme appeals to one’s tastes. I would remind everyone, however, that a tour of the theater would be considerably less expensive, if all one wants is to see the facility itself. The website also contains contact information regarding guided tours. I haven’t taken advantage of this offering yet, but I think I might do so in the Spring.