Loew's Valencia Theatre

165-11 Jamaica Avenue,
Jamaica, NY 11432

PKoch
PKoch on January 29, 2007 at 9:13 am

Thanks, Bway ! A pleasant reminder of when I used to “live” on nycsubway.org !

Thanks, Warren, for the anecdotes, and for the link to the newspaper ad.

Bway
Bway on January 23, 2007 at 7:56 am

Yes, thanks Peter! Quite a few…actually here’s a more direct link:

PKoch
PKoch on January 23, 2007 at 7:18 am

Thanks, balloonhedz. There are several similar photos on

www.nycsubway.org

balloonhedz
balloonhedz on January 23, 2007 at 5:10 am

My late mom took my sister and me to see THE TEN COMMANDMENTS at The Valencia. Early early 70s. Shortly after it was sold and became Tabernacle of Prayer, I was documenting the soon to be demolished station at 168 on the BMT and got this shot.
Not bad for a cheap hand me down camera.

PKoch
PKoch on January 19, 2007 at 6:03 am

Thanks, youngnyer1. I’d like to see more photos from those NYC archives myself.

youngnyer1
youngnyer1 on January 18, 2007 at 9:18 am

This photo from 1941 shows that the movies “Our Wife” starring Melvyn Douglas, Ruth Hussey and Ellen Drew was playing on a double bill with “Texas,” which starred William Holden, Claire Trevor and Glenn Ford.

This photo is from the NYC Municipal Archives. Between 1939 and 1941, for tax purposes, the City of New York took photos of every standing building.

Please keep an eye open for other photos from this collection in other comments of mine.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 21, 2006 at 7:30 am

Was the actor Ralph Byrd appearing in person as his on-screen persona, or just some square-jawed schnook in a yellow trench coat and fedora?

PKoch
PKoch on December 21, 2006 at 6:02 am

Thanks, Warren. What year is this from ?

mikemorano
mikemorano on November 13, 2006 at 5:29 am

It is not an attack fella. I am pointing out the obvious as you have done to many others. Perhaps you should follow your own advice instead of trying to advise other people. Why is it that you question my contributions but say nothing to the many deadbeats that come here and post no comments.

Bway
Bway on November 13, 2006 at 5:24 am

Can we PLEASE stop this petty crap anytime someone on either side of this war of you guys posts something?
It’s getting tiring seeing this petty crap in every theater listing.

mikemorano
mikemorano on November 13, 2006 at 5:09 am

Cool ad fella. You posted the exact same comment in four theatres. haha

robbiedupree
robbiedupree on October 8, 2006 at 11:30 pm

What a shame. Aside from a few off color remarks, I found the exchange of memories quite entertaining. Oh well -robbie

robbiedupree
robbiedupree on October 6, 2006 at 9:51 pm

can anyone explain to me why there are no postings on the Embassy, Willard anymre ? robbie

mauriceski
mauriceski on October 2, 2006 at 9:08 pm

I,also have not received any e-mails

Bway
Bway on September 12, 2006 at 3:46 am

But the strange thing is, it stops coming from ALL theaters when the problem comes up. I didn’t get one email from the site since Sept 8th Even theaters I posted in about a week ago. I figured it was just “slow”, but then I randomly checked ones I constantly get emails from, and sure enough, the Keiths, Valencia, Ridgewood all had recent comments, but I didn’t get the emails.
This didn’t happen to everyone even back in June when it happened to me the first time.

I posted in 5 theaters yesterday, and am getting the emails again from the ones I just posted in yesterday, like the Valencia, etc, but not all the others. Strange.
I don’t feel like commenting in every theater I want email updates from again like I did back in June, the last time it happened, but I guess I’ll have to slowly do it over time.
I wish there was a way to turn on theaters again without commenting, like a “watch this theater” box or something.

Bway
Bway on September 11, 2006 at 4:07 pm

Is anyone not getting the “someone replied to” emails again from cinematreasures? I figured something was wrong since I haven’t gotten one of those comments since the 8th, and sure enough, my suspicions were correct, it couldn’t be just that no one was commenting about anything….
Anyone else having this problem again?

PKoch
PKoch on September 7, 2006 at 5:05 am

These ads have a certain aesthetic as well as a set routine. The style of the vertical ellipse on the right side with the stand-out faces has been copied in Metro-North RR posters for the current TV show, “It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia”.

PKoch
PKoch on September 1, 2006 at 8:54 am

Thank you, DavidM.

DavidM
DavidM on September 1, 2006 at 8:12 am

The question “Is is bigger than a breadbox?” was first posed by Steve Allen, not Miss Kilgallen. Over the years, it became a running gag on “What’s My Line?”. Back on topic, I am going to make my first visit to the Valencia in a couple of weeks. I can’t wait.

PKoch
PKoch on September 1, 2006 at 7:49 am

It’s a bit before my time to remember that show’s original sponsor.

Dorothy Kilgallen had no armpits ?

What about Tom Posten ?

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on September 1, 2006 at 7:12 am

Stopette served as the original sponsor of that show, no? It always seemed difficult to imagine Ms Kilgallen applying it to hereself. Arlene Francis, o.k., and Bennett Cerf, sure; John Daly, definitely. But Dorothy?

PKoch
PKoch on September 1, 2006 at 6:27 am

Possibly. The reference was to Dorothy Kilgallen’s famous question on “What’s My Line ?” : “Is it bigger than a breadbox ?”

Stopette, Sure, Mitchum, Right Guard …

Or, they could have had their underarm sweat glands excised.

Or maybe they flew on their brooms …

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on September 1, 2006 at 6:21 am

That breadbox must’ve had wings to transport those ladies from the Kings to the Valencia between 9:30 and 10:30 pm. The interview couldn’t have lasted more than fifteen or twenty minutes, no? The mad dash would have made them grateful for Stopette Deodorant, yes?