Loew's Valencia Theatre

165-11 Jamaica Avenue,
Jamaica, NY 11432

PKoch
PKoch on December 21, 2006 at 9:02 am

Thanks, Warren. What year is this from ?

mikemorano
mikemorano on November 13, 2006 at 8:29 am

It is not an attack fella. I am pointing out the obvious as you have done to many others. Perhaps you should follow your own advice instead of trying to advise other people. Why is it that you question my contributions but say nothing to the many deadbeats that come here and post no comments.

Bway
Bway on November 13, 2006 at 8:24 am

Can we PLEASE stop this petty crap anytime someone on either side of this war of you guys posts something?
It’s getting tiring seeing this petty crap in every theater listing.

mikemorano
mikemorano on November 13, 2006 at 8:09 am

Cool ad fella. You posted the exact same comment in four theatres. haha

robbiedupree
robbiedupree on October 9, 2006 at 2:30 am

What a shame. Aside from a few off color remarks, I found the exchange of memories quite entertaining. Oh well -robbie

robbiedupree
robbiedupree on October 7, 2006 at 12:51 am

can anyone explain to me why there are no postings on the Embassy, Willard anymre ? robbie

mauriceski
mauriceski on October 3, 2006 at 12:08 am

I,also have not received any e-mails

Bway
Bway on September 12, 2006 at 6:46 am

But the strange thing is, it stops coming from ALL theaters when the problem comes up. I didn’t get one email from the site since Sept 8th Even theaters I posted in about a week ago. I figured it was just “slow”, but then I randomly checked ones I constantly get emails from, and sure enough, the Keiths, Valencia, Ridgewood all had recent comments, but I didn’t get the emails.
This didn’t happen to everyone even back in June when it happened to me the first time.

I posted in 5 theaters yesterday, and am getting the emails again from the ones I just posted in yesterday, like the Valencia, etc, but not all the others. Strange.
I don’t feel like commenting in every theater I want email updates from again like I did back in June, the last time it happened, but I guess I’ll have to slowly do it over time.
I wish there was a way to turn on theaters again without commenting, like a “watch this theater” box or something.

Bway
Bway on September 11, 2006 at 7:07 pm

Is anyone not getting the “someone replied to” emails again from cinematreasures? I figured something was wrong since I haven’t gotten one of those comments since the 8th, and sure enough, my suspicions were correct, it couldn’t be just that no one was commenting about anything….
Anyone else having this problem again?

PKoch
PKoch on September 7, 2006 at 8:05 am

These ads have a certain aesthetic as well as a set routine. The style of the vertical ellipse on the right side with the stand-out faces has been copied in Metro-North RR posters for the current TV show, “It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia”.

PKoch
PKoch on September 1, 2006 at 11:54 am

Thank you, DavidM.

DavidM
DavidM on September 1, 2006 at 11:12 am

The question “Is is bigger than a breadbox?” was first posed by Steve Allen, not Miss Kilgallen. Over the years, it became a running gag on “What’s My Line?”. Back on topic, I am going to make my first visit to the Valencia in a couple of weeks. I can’t wait.

PKoch
PKoch on September 1, 2006 at 10:49 am

It’s a bit before my time to remember that show’s original sponsor.

Dorothy Kilgallen had no armpits ?

What about Tom Posten ?

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on September 1, 2006 at 10:12 am

Stopette served as the original sponsor of that show, no? It always seemed difficult to imagine Ms Kilgallen applying it to hereself. Arlene Francis, o.k., and Bennett Cerf, sure; John Daly, definitely. But Dorothy?

PKoch
PKoch on September 1, 2006 at 9:27 am

Possibly. The reference was to Dorothy Kilgallen’s famous question on “What’s My Line ?” : “Is it bigger than a breadbox ?”

Stopette, Sure, Mitchum, Right Guard …

Or, they could have had their underarm sweat glands excised.

Or maybe they flew on their brooms …

BoxOfficeBill
BoxOfficeBill on September 1, 2006 at 9:21 am

That breadbox must’ve had wings to transport those ladies from the Kings to the Valencia between 9:30 and 10:30 pm. The interview couldn’t have lasted more than fifteen or twenty minutes, no? The mad dash would have made them grateful for Stopette Deodorant, yes?

PKoch
PKoch on September 1, 2006 at 8:25 am

Cool ! I guess the severed head is smaller than a breadbox !

RobertR
RobertR on August 29, 2006 at 8:11 pm

First Run at COOL Loews Near Your Home

BrooklynJim
BrooklynJim on August 22, 2006 at 11:17 am

It’s hard to be neutral, mikemovies, when your last comment cracks me up like this! ROFLMFAO!

mikemorano
mikemorano on August 17, 2006 at 11:21 am

I bet $10 on the monkey. haha

PKoch
PKoch on August 16, 2006 at 10:08 am

Interesting that the Valencia part of the ad, under “Vaudeville”, mentions Borrah Minevitch, with, presumably, his “Harmonica Rascals”.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on August 14, 2006 at 10:55 am

“South Pacific” enjoyed a re-release at the two big Loew’s houses in Queens, late spring of ‘64:

Showcase Presentation – LI Star Journal 5/18/64

This “Showcase Presentation” also included bookings into a number of Century’s Theaters, according to another ad elsewhere in that paper.

Bway
Bway on June 18, 2006 at 7:30 pm

She could, but it all depends on how old she was at the time. If she was a teenager, she could still be alive. Chances are slimer and slimer that she’s still alive if she was any older than a teenager.

PKoch
PKoch on June 15, 2006 at 1:06 pm

Welcome, Wasu ! Thanks for posting your experience here. I have heard from others about how magical the Valencia Theatre was. We could very much use someone here of your age and experience. I hope you enjoy, and continue to contribute to, this site.

You might be of particular help to some of us younger members who are trying to probe and figure out the past, such as the Ridgewood Follies Theater, or the Gem or Embassy Theaters in the Cypress Hills section of Brooklyn.

As you are about my father’s age, I would appreciate any help you may have to offer about the Bushwick, Bklyn theaters he remembers attending, such as the Decatur, the Monroe, and larger movie houses like the RKO Bushwick, Loews Gates, and the Colonial.

wasu
wasu on June 15, 2006 at 12:57 pm

I saw Tarzan the Ape Man at the Valencia in Jamaica in 1932. I was thirteen years old.

I don’t know what thrilled me the most, the movie or that magical ceiling with its movable clouds and stars.

I have never had a theatrical experience to equal it.

WASU