AMC Empire 25

234 W. 42nd Street,
New York, NY 10036

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on January 28, 2008 at 1:16 am

Great shot showing escalators rising from orchestra level into the old prosenium arch taking you up to the cinemas.

owenspierre81
owenspierre81 on January 27, 2008 at 1:18 am

Movies that were shown in Digital Projection (DLP) at the EMPIRE 25 from November 2003 to today

11/14/03- Looney Tunes: Back In Action
12/21/07- National Treasure: Book of Secrets
1/11/08- The Bucket List
1/18/08- 27 Dresses
1/18/08- Mad Money

Bway
Bway on January 16, 2008 at 4:49 pm

I still am amazed every time I walk past the Empire, most recently about a week ago, that it has been moved. I am just also equally amazed that they decided to do that instead of tearing the place down. GREAT photo! I still can’t understand how something like this is even possible. The building had to be lifted off it’s foundation, and it’s a brick building!

JoelWeide
JoelWeide on January 15, 2008 at 3:37 am

That is a simply amazing feat, and what is even more amazing is that American Multi Cinema was even involved with the undertaking!

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 14, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Here’s a photo taken on March 1st, 1998, when the Empire, which reportedly weighed 7.4 million pounds, was moved 168 feet to the west of its original location. The work was done on a Sunday when midtown traffic was relatively light. The balloon figures “pulling” the structure represent Bud Abbott & Lou Costello, who performed there in burlesque prior to their movie stardom: www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/empiremove.jpg

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 3, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Many people seeking information about theatres just look at the first few lines and don’t have time to read down into the fourth or fifth paragraphs of text…In my opinion, the category “Firm” should be eliminated. Some architects operate under their own names, some under company names. If a theatre listing has “Architect” blank and “Firm” with a name, one might assume that the architect is unknown and that the “Firm” was responsible for the construction work. Some of the listings for Rapp & Rapp theatres give the full names of two Rapp brothers as architects, and then Rapp & Rapp as the firm. That’s just being redundant.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 3, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Warren, you might have missed the new language of the 4th & 5th paragraphs of the Intro. (I suggested it be inserted there) Given the 1st paragraph statement, the Intro makes the architectural contributions clear.

The individual listings of Architect and firm have been subject to debate in regard to other theaters, as you know. I too often find that’s confusing. Perhaps there should be categories for Original Architect, Renovations Architect, etc. but that’s up to the webmasters.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 2, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Yes, but it only adds to the confusion. One might assume that Thomas Lamb and Beyer Blinder Belle collaborated. You might consider:
Architect: Thomas W. Lamb (original Eltinge)
Firm: Beyer Blinder Belle (current multiplex)

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 2, 2008 at 7:29 pm

The wonderfully relevant info provided by Al has been integrated into the Intro.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 2, 2008 at 4:24 pm

According to the New York Times the multiplex was designed by the architectural firm of Beyer Blinder Belle.

Harriet Irgang, the director of Rustin Levenson Art Conservation, restored the mural originally painted by a French artist, Arthur Brounet.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 2, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Here’s an article about the Empire moving:

The Introduction states Lamb designed the 1912 theater. If anybody finds an article with name of the architect who designed the multiplex, post it! then, the info might get placed in the Intro, too.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 2, 2008 at 3:11 pm

The listing of Thomas W. Lamb as architect of the AMC Empire 25 is more than a bit ludicrous. While Lamb did design the original Eltinge Theatre, only small portions remain in the replacement multiplex, which was not done by Lamb (long deceased by that time). Some note should be made in the introduction that the architect of the AMC Empire 25 is not Lamb. I don’t know the name of the person or firm who did the AMC Empire 25, but surely it can be found in press reports of the multiplex’s construction and/or opening.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 2, 2008 at 2:30 am

I don’t them on speed dial, but I do make telephone calls, and check the Net websites for the theaters that spell it out. No shock to anybody that some of us on this website are zealots in this regard.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on January 2, 2008 at 2:14 am

This may sound strange/funny, but at some of my favorite frequented theaters, I have the box office or manager numbers on speed dial on all my phones. So, I end up calling to see if such and such a movie is playing in DP or in my favorite THX one.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 2, 2008 at 2:09 am

JodarMovieFan, in Philadelphia the newspaper “movie clock” is an ad, for payment. I do wish movie theater operators would tell us, but too many don’t.

And, as you’ve noticed, there’s much less information even in the actual movie ads as to what kind of sound system, or projection, is used for the movie.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on January 2, 2008 at 12:52 am

Howard,

For years, I was complaining about this since you and I both know some auditoriums are nicer than others and have better offerings (Digital sound, projection, etc). What I’ve found out from places like Movietickets.com and Fandango is that it is up to theater management as to how they post the information. I suspect it is the same with newspapers, too. I doubt they (newspapers) advertise auditorium info at a plex as a public service.

So, if management wants to advertise that Movie A is in auditorium #1, with THX/DTS or Dolby Digital EX or Movie B is in DLP, then they need to inform the website of that fact.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 2, 2008 at 12:15 am

though the screen size wasn’t tiny, I wasn’t thrilled to be in the 120 seaters at the Top of the Empire.

Theaters could Internet post where the movies are, and change the postings if the films change. In Europe, such is identified in print. If it really can’t be done in print in the US, it could be done on the Net.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 1, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Don’t go to theaters with dinky screens. Most newly built multiplexes like this one only have decent-sized screens.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 1, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Best bet is phoning the theatre directly on the day you’re thinking of going – that is IF you can get a live person on the phone. They should be able to confirm the screen on which any given film will be shown. Be sure to specify the particular screening you wish to attend in case your title is booked into multiple rooms.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 1, 2008 at 4:05 pm

Davis, theatres avoid publishing this information as they often change screens according to demand or accommodate other screenings during the week.

davisdavis
davisdavis on January 1, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Does anyone know an online source that lists what movie is playing on what screen in a particular NYC theater? For this and other theaters, I hate showing up and then learning that my movie is playing on the dinkiest screen in the theater. The NYT prints this info in its weekend edition, but you can’t find it online.

Forrest136
Forrest136 on December 31, 2007 at 1:00 pm

The Empire needs new seats. The cushions are as flat as pancakes! Forget an IMAX screen and put the money into new cushions!

123Herby
123Herby on December 22, 2007 at 5:10 am

Again, Previous message goes out to the President or CEO of Cinema Treasure. I am greatful and blessed to know that saps is not a President or CEO. Please continue to live here on planet earth and prosper. Who cares if you don’t believe. The message is not to you. If saps has become your distraction in responding, Cinema Treasure, thank you for you time. I have accomplish my dream, just seeking as much advice as possible.
Herby

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on December 19, 2007 at 1:23 pm

Meanwhile, back on planet earth…