AMC Empire 25

234 W. 42nd Street,
New York, NY 10036

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on January 27, 2008 at 8:16 pm

Great shot showing escalators rising from orchestra level into the old prosenium arch taking you up to the cinemas.

owenspierre81
owenspierre81 on January 26, 2008 at 8:18 pm

Movies that were shown in Digital Projection (DLP) at the EMPIRE 25 from November 2003 to today

11/14/03- Looney Tunes: Back In Action
12/21/07- National Treasure: Book of Secrets
1/11/08- The Bucket List
1/18/08- 27 Dresses
1/18/08- Mad Money

Bway
Bway on January 16, 2008 at 11:49 am

I still am amazed every time I walk past the Empire, most recently about a week ago, that it has been moved. I am just also equally amazed that they decided to do that instead of tearing the place down. GREAT photo! I still can’t understand how something like this is even possible. The building had to be lifted off it’s foundation, and it’s a brick building!

JoelWeide
JoelWeide on January 14, 2008 at 10:37 pm

That is a simply amazing feat, and what is even more amazing is that American Multi Cinema was even involved with the undertaking!

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 3, 2008 at 8:35 am

Warren, you might have missed the new language of the 4th & 5th paragraphs of the Intro. (I suggested it be inserted there) Given the 1st paragraph statement, the Intro makes the architectural contributions clear.

The individual listings of Architect and firm have been subject to debate in regard to other theaters, as you know. I too often find that’s confusing. Perhaps there should be categories for Original Architect, Renovations Architect, etc. but that’s up to the webmasters.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 2, 2008 at 2:29 pm

The wonderfully relevant info provided by Al has been integrated into the Intro.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on January 2, 2008 at 11:24 am

According to the New York Times the multiplex was designed by the architectural firm of Beyer Blinder Belle.

Harriet Irgang, the director of Rustin Levenson Art Conservation, restored the mural originally painted by a French artist, Arthur Brounet.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 2, 2008 at 10:33 am

Here’s an article about the Empire moving:

The Introduction states Lamb designed the 1912 theater. If anybody finds an article with name of the architect who designed the multiplex, post it! then, the info might get placed in the Intro, too.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 1, 2008 at 9:30 pm

I don’t them on speed dial, but I do make telephone calls, and check the Net websites for the theaters that spell it out. No shock to anybody that some of us on this website are zealots in this regard.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on January 1, 2008 at 9:14 pm

This may sound strange/funny, but at some of my favorite frequented theaters, I have the box office or manager numbers on speed dial on all my phones. So, I end up calling to see if such and such a movie is playing in DP or in my favorite THX one.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 1, 2008 at 9:09 pm

JodarMovieFan, in Philadelphia the newspaper “movie clock” is an ad, for payment. I do wish movie theater operators would tell us, but too many don’t.

And, as you’ve noticed, there’s much less information even in the actual movie ads as to what kind of sound system, or projection, is used for the movie.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on January 1, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Howard,

For years, I was complaining about this since you and I both know some auditoriums are nicer than others and have better offerings (Digital sound, projection, etc). What I’ve found out from places like Movietickets.com and Fandango is that it is up to theater management as to how they post the information. I suspect it is the same with newspapers, too. I doubt they (newspapers) advertise auditorium info at a plex as a public service.

So, if management wants to advertise that Movie A is in auditorium #1, with THX/DTS or Dolby Digital EX or Movie B is in DLP, then they need to inform the website of that fact.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 1, 2008 at 7:15 pm

though the screen size wasn’t tiny, I wasn’t thrilled to be in the 120 seaters at the Top of the Empire.

Theaters could Internet post where the movies are, and change the postings if the films change. In Europe, such is identified in print. If it really can’t be done in print in the US, it could be done on the Net.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on January 1, 2008 at 5:04 pm

Don’t go to theaters with dinky screens. Most newly built multiplexes like this one only have decent-sized screens.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on January 1, 2008 at 4:30 pm

Best bet is phoning the theatre directly on the day you’re thinking of going – that is IF you can get a live person on the phone. They should be able to confirm the screen on which any given film will be shown. Be sure to specify the particular screening you wish to attend in case your title is booked into multiple rooms.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on January 1, 2008 at 11:05 am

Davis, theatres avoid publishing this information as they often change screens according to demand or accommodate other screenings during the week.

davisdavis
davisdavis on January 1, 2008 at 10:56 am

Does anyone know an online source that lists what movie is playing on what screen in a particular NYC theater? For this and other theaters, I hate showing up and then learning that my movie is playing on the dinkiest screen in the theater. The NYT prints this info in its weekend edition, but you can’t find it online.

Forrest136
Forrest136 on December 31, 2007 at 8:00 am

The Empire needs new seats. The cushions are as flat as pancakes! Forget an IMAX screen and put the money into new cushions!

123Herby
123Herby on December 22, 2007 at 12:10 am

Again, Previous message goes out to the President or CEO of Cinema Treasure. I am greatful and blessed to know that saps is not a President or CEO. Please continue to live here on planet earth and prosper. Who cares if you don’t believe. The message is not to you. If saps has become your distraction in responding, Cinema Treasure, thank you for you time. I have accomplish my dream, just seeking as much advice as possible.
Herby

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on December 19, 2007 at 8:23 am

Meanwhile, back on planet earth…

123Herby
123Herby on December 19, 2007 at 2:38 am

Hello. I am sending this message to the CEO or President of AMC Empire 25. I am seeking advice and possible guidance to starting/developing my business within the Movie Theater Career. If you are able to speak with me or able to give any support in my study of climbling to excellency, I can also be reached at 252-217-6408©. I am doing studies and searches to any company that are willing to assist. Again to the President or CEO of AMC Empire 25, thank you for time. If this message is unabe to reach the President or any CEO I would love to hear from their associates and members that is willing to help me make this dream a reality.

Sincerely and Professionally,
Herby J. Hyman

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 11, 2007 at 3:06 pm

That’s the show I saw, Al. The Caesar’s Palace OMNIMAX dome is gone, but I believe there is a standard IMAX theatre in the Luxor Hotel. I think the difference between IMAX and OMNIMAX was that latter’s curved dome presentation. The films geared towards dome presentation were in more of a fisheye perspective with the viewer’s peripheral vision seeming to extend up and over one’s head as well as below the point where one’s eyes would naturally fix their focus – that is, assuming one was situated among the very few “sweet-spot” seats about 1/3 of the way up the stadium and dead center on the screen’s vertical axis.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on December 11, 2007 at 2:54 pm

The Lincoln Square announcements are still there including notice of a flashing set of glasses on the screen telling you when to put them on for the 3-D sequence. William Castle would be proud. (Maybe IMAX 3-D horror will work on 42nd street!) I never noticed a platter view.

They still undersell the screen on tall IMAX documentaries due to serious sightline problems. They also used to over-report grosses to the trades but I am not sure if then can still get away with that as EDI collects them electronically.

I did see a Mount St. Helens volcano eruption film in Vegas many years ago when IMAX was just starting. That may have been at Caesar’s Palace.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on December 11, 2007 at 2:27 pm

Do they still include the IMAX introduction at the original tall IMAX facilities (such as the Lincoln Square)? There wasn’t a curtain, but there was an interesting and slowly changing lighting scheme to mask the vast whiteness of the blank screen before a show. As well, just before the feature, a voice would come over the loudspeaker to give a brief overview on the specs of the IMAX screen, film guage and projection process – during backlights would be brought up behind the screen to reveal the massive steel framework on which the screen was hung. After the show, audiences were invariably asked to exit at the rear of the auditorium and would be led around the back of the glass enclosed projection booth where they could glimpse the massive platter and projector on the way out. I’m not sure if this last glimpse behind the curtain was a part of the Lincoln Square show – I might be remembering that particular bit of showmanship from my earlier experiences with the format in Las Vegas and Niagara Falls. In the version I saw in Las Vegas way back in 1980, the format was advertised as “Omnimax” and was presented in a dome at Caesar’s Palace.