AMC Empire 25

234 W. 42nd Street,
New York, NY 10036

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 31, 2008 at 2:26 am

Isn’t it a little obnoxious to call an actor dead 50 years by his nickname?

MarkieS
MarkieS on March 31, 2008 at 1:08 am

Isn’t it getting a little obnoxious to continually refer to forty second street as “the deuce”? I mean, I like noir as much as the next guy, but Bogie’s been dead for 50 years.

Bway
Bway on March 30, 2008 at 3:07 am

The New Amsterdam wasn’t originally meant to show movies, nor was the Gallo Opera House (Studio 54) when they were built. I am not sure about the Beacon Theater, which originally was a Vaudville house, but may have been meant to also show movies, I dont know.

It’s true, NY has lost many theaters, but it also retains many. It had SO many, so obviously the amount lost with that vast number would be higher than other areas, as it had more to begin with.

Edward Havens
Edward Havens on March 29, 2008 at 11:02 pm

Remind me again which movie I can see today at Radio City or the New Amsterdam or the Beacon or Studio 54.

LuisV
LuisV on March 29, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Forgot to mention the Apollo and The Victoria in Harlem, though it appears we will be losing the Victoria in its conversion to a hotel/office complex, we are gaining a fully restored and renovated Apollo thanks to Time Warner.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on March 29, 2008 at 1:07 am

Plus we have about 36 landmarked Broadway playhouses, so we’re not exactly lacking theaters. Just operating movie palaces.

LuisV
LuisV on March 28, 2008 at 5:55 pm

While it is true that New York has lost so many of its grand palaces of the past, there are still many that are still with us. The same is true in Los Angeles. While Philadelphia is on the verge of losing its one remaining palace, The Boyd and many other cities have only one or two palaces remaining, New York still has a virtual embarassment of riches remaining: Radio City, The Hollywood, The New Amsterdam, The Beacon, The Ziegfeld, The Paris, The Palace, The St. George, RKO Keiths Richmond Hill, Studio 54, Loew’s Kings, Loew’s Paradise, Loew’s 175th St, Loew’s Valenica, The Brooklyn Paramount (mostly intact), etc. Not to mention the two other greats, Loew’s Jersey and The Stanley just across the river. In addition, there are many others out of the public eye that operate as churches, especially in Brooklyn.

I don’t mean to minize our losses; they have been great and tragic, but all is not lost! We still have a lot left and we need to focus on keeping what we have.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on March 28, 2008 at 1:37 pm

This is a new direct link for the “moving day” photo that I posted above on 1/14/08. Please see that posting for more explanation:

BradE41
BradE41 on March 27, 2008 at 10:40 pm

I went to this theatre a couple weeks ago, it was like climbing Mt. Everest to get to the theatre. Cannot say I liked the theatre very much, it pretty much has not character. It has been about 20 years since my last NYC visit; and I was disappointed that so many great theatres are now gone, it is worse than L.A.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on January 28, 2008 at 1:19 am

View from the orchestra level looking up to the two balcony’s showing a well preserved auditorium.

AdoraKiaOra
AdoraKiaOra on January 28, 2008 at 1:16 am

Great shot showing escalators rising from orchestra level into the old prosenium arch taking you up to the cinemas.

owenspierre81
owenspierre81 on January 27, 2008 at 1:18 am

Movies that were shown in Digital Projection (DLP) at the EMPIRE 25 from November 2003 to today

11/14/03- Looney Tunes: Back In Action
12/21/07- National Treasure: Book of Secrets
1/11/08- The Bucket List
1/18/08- 27 Dresses
1/18/08- Mad Money

Bway
Bway on January 16, 2008 at 4:49 pm

I still am amazed every time I walk past the Empire, most recently about a week ago, that it has been moved. I am just also equally amazed that they decided to do that instead of tearing the place down. GREAT photo! I still can’t understand how something like this is even possible. The building had to be lifted off it’s foundation, and it’s a brick building!

JoelWeide
JoelWeide on January 15, 2008 at 3:37 am

That is a simply amazing feat, and what is even more amazing is that American Multi Cinema was even involved with the undertaking!

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 14, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Here’s a photo taken on March 1st, 1998, when the Empire, which reportedly weighed 7.4 million pounds, was moved 168 feet to the west of its original location. The work was done on a Sunday when midtown traffic was relatively light. The balloon figures “pulling” the structure represent Bud Abbott & Lou Costello, who performed there in burlesque prior to their movie stardom: www.i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Warrengwhiz/empiremove.jpg

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 3, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Many people seeking information about theatres just look at the first few lines and don’t have time to read down into the fourth or fifth paragraphs of text…In my opinion, the category “Firm” should be eliminated. Some architects operate under their own names, some under company names. If a theatre listing has “Architect” blank and “Firm” with a name, one might assume that the architect is unknown and that the “Firm” was responsible for the construction work. Some of the listings for Rapp & Rapp theatres give the full names of two Rapp brothers as architects, and then Rapp & Rapp as the firm. That’s just being redundant.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 3, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Warren, you might have missed the new language of the 4th & 5th paragraphs of the Intro. (I suggested it be inserted there) Given the 1st paragraph statement, the Intro makes the architectural contributions clear.

The individual listings of Architect and firm have been subject to debate in regard to other theaters, as you know. I too often find that’s confusing. Perhaps there should be categories for Original Architect, Renovations Architect, etc. but that’s up to the webmasters.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 2, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Yes, but it only adds to the confusion. One might assume that Thomas Lamb and Beyer Blinder Belle collaborated. You might consider:
Architect: Thomas W. Lamb (original Eltinge)
Firm: Beyer Blinder Belle (current multiplex)

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 2, 2008 at 7:29 pm

The wonderfully relevant info provided by Al has been integrated into the Intro.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 2, 2008 at 4:24 pm

According to the New York Times the multiplex was designed by the architectural firm of Beyer Blinder Belle.

Harriet Irgang, the director of Rustin Levenson Art Conservation, restored the mural originally painted by a French artist, Arthur Brounet.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 2, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Here’s an article about the Empire moving:

The Introduction states Lamb designed the 1912 theater. If anybody finds an article with name of the architect who designed the multiplex, post it! then, the info might get placed in the Intro, too.

Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris on January 2, 2008 at 3:11 pm

The listing of Thomas W. Lamb as architect of the AMC Empire 25 is more than a bit ludicrous. While Lamb did design the original Eltinge Theatre, only small portions remain in the replacement multiplex, which was not done by Lamb (long deceased by that time). Some note should be made in the introduction that the architect of the AMC Empire 25 is not Lamb. I don’t know the name of the person or firm who did the AMC Empire 25, but surely it can be found in press reports of the multiplex’s construction and/or opening.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on January 2, 2008 at 2:30 am

I don’t them on speed dial, but I do make telephone calls, and check the Net websites for the theaters that spell it out. No shock to anybody that some of us on this website are zealots in this regard.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on January 2, 2008 at 2:14 am

This may sound strange/funny, but at some of my favorite frequented theaters, I have the box office or manager numbers on speed dial on all my phones. So, I end up calling to see if such and such a movie is playing in DP or in my favorite THX one.