United Palace of Cultural Arts

4140 Broadway,
New York, NY 10033

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on May 1, 2006 at 7:19 pm

Al; I have just found a Photoplay Palace Theatre in the American Motion Picture Directory 1914-1915. The address given is 176th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue, New York, NY. Could be the same theatre?

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on May 1, 2006 at 7:15 pm

Al; The 1926 Film Daily Yearbook lists a Palace Theatre, 1326 St. Nicholas Avenue, New York, NY with a seating capacity of 574. It isn’t currently listed on Cinema Treasures (under the Palace name)

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on May 1, 2006 at 6:59 pm

Make that St. Nicholas…

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on May 1, 2006 at 6:57 pm

Is United Palace (above) a theatre name? Also, does anyone know about a Palace Theatre and annex on St. Nichol showing movies from around 1918-1922?

Astyanax
Astyanax on May 1, 2006 at 6:38 pm

God bless Rev. Ike!

I passed by the theatre a few days ago and it looks fantastic. The marquee is intact and the edge-accents have been recently re-gilded. The facade remains as impressive as ever, sadly reminicent of the Loews Pitkin. If only the interior of the 175th St. should be in such grand shape.

pjacyk
pjacyk on April 25, 2006 at 4:40 am

There is a new CD just released that features Lee Erwin playing the Robert-Morton Theatre Organs at Loew’s 175th and Loew’s Kings. The Kings Wonder Morton recording on the CD is of the organ’s farewell concert. More info at http://www.gstos.org/TheWondersOfItAll.htm

Greenpoint
Greenpoint on November 20, 2005 at 4:45 am

Thanks Bway,
The link is actually fascinating, I had no idea how ornate this former theater really was, the site itself has some amazing images.

Bway
Bway on November 20, 2005 at 3:51 am

Thanks Greenpoint, so people can access it again, but they must have changed the page address since I posted that message. My link used to work….

Greenpoint
Greenpoint on November 19, 2005 at 9:30 pm

Bway,
your hyperlink of 8/24/04 was incorrect…
you had one to many .asp (Active Server Pages)extensions.

Heres the correct address:

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 14, 2005 at 11:33 am

I took the “scenic” route home from Sleepy Hollow, NY, the other day via Route 9 which eventually becomes South Broadway in Yonkers and then Broadway when it crosses into the Bronx. Anyway… passed a number of former theaters on the trip including this magnificent structure. I had never seen it in person before and I was kind of stunned by how imposing a building it is! As you approach from the north, you notice the stylish arched iron-work of the balcony fire escapes and then the huge structure that houses the lobby and foyer (where the vertical Loew’s sign remains attached). The theater occupies nearly all of the trapezoidal block bounded by Broadway, 175th Street, Wadsworth Ave and 176th street with the entrances on the corner of Broadway and 175th. The auditorium runs parallel to Wadsworth Ave so the building sort of angles away from Broadway as it runs to the north with a row of tax-payer storefronts filling out the Broadway frontage. I have to get myself inside with my camera one Sunday (services at 2:45pm according to the marquee).

While coming down Broadway, I passed a couple of theaters in Yonkers (I believe one was the RKO Proctor, and then the Park Hill further to the south) and at least one in the Bronx (the former RKO Marble Hill). I was surprised at how large the old Coliseum building was at 181st Street. I also recall a building up around 204th street in Manhattan that appeared to have been a theater at one time. Anyone know what this might have been?

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on October 18, 2005 at 6:38 pm

The Village Voice just voted this place the “Best House 0f Worship That Used to Be a Movie Palace.”

Bway
Bway on September 19, 2005 at 9:23 am

It’s nice to see they even left the vertical sign up! EVen if they took the letters off.

br91975
br91975 on May 8, 2005 at 4:23 am

Not that it’s extraordinarily relevant to this page in general, but to clarify Bway’s post from this past February 17th, the New Amsterdam has hosted in its post-renovation years a stage production of ‘King David’ and its long-running ‘Lion King’; ‘Aida’’s run was exclusively held at the Palace Theater.

Bway
Bway on April 28, 2005 at 6:51 pm

Thanks Robert!
It looks good. I notice the Veritcal Loew’s sign is still there, minus the letters.

RobertR
RobertR on April 28, 2005 at 5:10 pm

Here are pictures of the 175 St.

They should restore the vertical

Bway
Bway on February 18, 2005 at 12:54 am

Thanks for that information. I passed by the Pantages Theater about two weeks ago, and it really looked great. I didn’t realize that the old marquee had been covered, and then uncovered. Disney has done a lot for a few old theaters. In Manhattan, of course the most famous example is the old glorious New Amsterdam theater, which now houses the Lion King (but I think had Aida for a while, but could be mistaken). The meticulously restored it to it’s former glory.
Of course, also in Hollywood, Disney restored the El Capitan Theater. It looks beautiful all lit up outside at night. That marquee, while it does have an look old look, is sort of interesting. They installed one of those modern digital signs on the three sides, and had sort of poster pictures of the film that is playing. When I was there, they were showing a rerelease of “Pirates of the Caribean”, and that was in the digital display on the marquee. Very attractive.

William
William on February 18, 2005 at 12:42 am

The same thing happened when Disney was restoring the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood. The marquee and the area underneth the marquee to the front doors had been covered over by fake walls and lower ceilings. The detail under the marquee was all covered over and the neon areas were made more streamlined. So when Disney restored the Pantages for the opening of “Lion King”. They found that a lot of the original facade was just covered over.

Bway
Bway on February 18, 2005 at 12:24 am

What is interesting about the restoration of the RKO Keith’s Richmond Hill’s marquee was that they didn’t realize it was all still back there when they were going to “recreate” it. When they ripped the covering from the marquee (that must have been installed in the 1950’s over the original), there was the old marquee in it’s former diamond in the rough glory. They then restored the old original marquee instead of recreating it. Thankfully, it now remains as such today.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on February 17, 2005 at 7:14 pm

The lobby and auditorium can be viewed in later scenes in the 2002 comedy movie “The Guru”.

Also earlier in that movie can be seen exteriors of the RKO Keith’s Richmond Hill Theatre, to which the filmakers did a restoration of the marquee.

chconnol
chconnol on December 10, 2004 at 4:24 pm

Warren…thank you..that’s the one!

So…what about the one on or around 137th and Broadway that has a McDonalds in it now? It has the words Gotham Theater written there and it’s clearly recognizable as a theater. Do you if this is listed?

Thanks again…

chconnol
chconnol on December 10, 2004 at 3:40 pm

There’s a theater located just off Broadway at 160th Street. It looks as though the auditorium runs parallel to Broadway. Does anyone know if this theater is listed? Right now it’s a supermarket (must be a big one…) called Superextra or something like that.

chconnol
chconnol on November 18, 2004 at 7:43 pm

If this theater was in a more “desirable” part of NYC, it would get more press. I never knew it was there until I stumbled upon it. Now, on those rare occasions when I drive into work in Manhattan, I make it a point to drive past this theater. I always hope that I’ll get into some kind of minor traffic jam so I can get a better look.

This neighborhood is thriving…it’s no ghost town. Like Flatbush, this neighborhood (Washington Heights) was profiled in NY Magazine as being one of NY’s best kept residential secrets. Therefore, it’s secret is out. Again, if and when this area changes, what will be the consequences of this theater? I think too many people know about it now and there would be a large uproar from the architectural community if anyone tried anything “funny” with this place.

Bway
Bway on November 18, 2004 at 6:54 pm

The inside is too. Check out the links on this page. They meticulously restored the interior too. And unlike the valencia in Jamaica, they chose colors that are true to the originals. The Valencia’s new paint scheme is gaudy at best….however, it is maintained at least, so that is good.

chconnol
chconnol on November 18, 2004 at 6:50 pm

I nearly crashed my car when I once got off I-95 after coming off the GW Bridge to get out of a traffic jam and found this grand relic. My GOD this thing is AMAZING!!!!! Is it landmarked by NYC? Quite possibly the most beautiful theater remaining in NYC, handsdown. And from outside, it looks largely intact.

Bway
Bway on November 18, 2004 at 6:48 pm

I think it’s great that he allowed the theater to keep it’s projection capabilities, unlike the Valencia in Jamaica.