Radio City Music Hall

1260 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 201 - 225 of 2,970 comments

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 5, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I like the diagram in that article, Tinseltoes. I remember queuing up in lines like that for holiday shows at RCMH, as a child in the ‘70’s. At that time, the line went east down 50th Street, as depicted in the Boxoffice article, but then it would zig-zag back and forth in the Plaza behind the building, like the queue for a popular Disney World attraction.

hanksykes
hanksykes on October 10, 2012 at 2:53 pm

As some folks know The Elliot Hall of Music is part of Purdue University so the level of talent was superb.

hanksykes
hanksykes on October 10, 2012 at 2:52 pm

The Elliot Hall of Music used to have an annual Christmas Show that was pre-recorded for PBS an it was as massive at the show at RCMH. My only complaint with the shows were instead of letting the home audience see the eleborate scene changes during the show the video technical directors were so busy zooming and moving the camera shots that it made one dizzy. I wish I could have been there to see the beautifully coordinated scenic crews doing their art at its best.The sets were splendidly eleborate and magical, as often as the moving shots would pause for 30 seconds.

DavidM
DavidM on October 10, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Is there anything other than the marquee title to commemorate the 85th Anniversary of the Rockettes? I assume the “85th” designation goes back to the debut of the Roxyettes at the Roxy Theater.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 10, 2012 at 10:04 am

No changes this year including the 70MM 3-D.

LuisV
LuisV on October 10, 2012 at 5:50 am

Not really impressed by the limited photos of the Elliot Hall of Music. In no where near the same league as Radio City. That said, this appears to be the biggest theater no one has ever heard of no? :–)

Vito
Vito on October 10, 2012 at 2:11 am

Oh my goodness is it that time again already? rcd 55b look forward to your report on how the show is getting ready, changes thus year? how about the 70mm 3-D will that stuill be used? Details and pictures please thanks so much

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 9, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Can anyone say “Christmas Spectacular??????” Yes, we are starting up again…………

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 4, 2012 at 2:50 pm

There’s a more elaborate history for the Elliot Hall of Music here, identifying the aforementioned RCMH designer as J. Andre Fouilhoux.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 4, 2012 at 9:40 am

The designer for Radio City Music Hall was a consulting architect for the Purdue (Elliot) Hall of Music. Photo

JayFMould
JayFMould on August 31, 2012 at 10:54 am

Was just noticing the July 26th note. I was working at the Hall that morning, and as was my custom I usually went off for lunch break just after the feature started. When I and the rest of the first group got back we knew by the different activity around that something had happened. Emma Heller was the nurse on duty that morning, and she was headed for the exec car (private elevator) at the front of the house and asked what all the extra activity around the front of the house was, as we heard nothing when we were in the Service Staff Quarters on the Grand Lounge Level before as we returned from outside and trying to back upstairs on time. She filled us in. As I recall as I was upstairs that day the third mezz was closed and blocked due to a shortage of staff and the light business.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on August 30, 2012 at 9:47 am

Those sinks and hand dryers are still there.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on August 27, 2012 at 11:52 am

I just noticed that “THE BLACK CAULDRON” followed “RETURN TO OZ”.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on August 27, 2012 at 9:48 am

I think this engagement of “RETURN TO OZ” in 1985 may have been the last regular movie run at the Hall.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on July 9, 2012 at 2:17 pm

How long did that 70 x 32 foot screen last at the Music Hall?

What are the sizes of some current screens in New York, such as the Ziegfeld, Empire, Lincoln Square?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 30, 2012 at 10:06 am

It certainly was. To prove how popular Cinerama was in 1963, I saw it in Montclair, a New Jersey suburb and not a big city by any means. Now there are only three 3-strip Cinerama theaters left in the entire world.

AGRoura
AGRoura on June 30, 2012 at 9:55 am

Well Bill, your first roadshow experience must have been very thrilling, 3 strip Cinerama, wow! It’s a shame we don’t have a Cinerama house in our area.

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 30, 2012 at 9:27 am

Oh yes, they were all 35mm regular runs at “popular prices” in local New Jersey theaters. I wish I had seen them as roadshows! My first roadshow was “How the West Was Won”, in Cinerama.

AGRoura
AGRoura on June 30, 2012 at 9:18 am

But Bill, Spartacus, Lawrence and the others were two a day roadshow presentations, you had to see them from the beginning starting with the overture and the curtain closed. Are you referring to having seeing them in continuous performances in a move over, usually in 35mm not 70mm, after the roadshow engagement?

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 30, 2012 at 8:51 am

Other times (non-Music Hall) when I walked in on the middle of the movie: “Spartacus”, “Lawrence of Arabia”, “Cleopatra”, “My Fair Lady”. It really was a common practice back then. That’s why the “Psycho” restriction was so revolutionary (and effective).

Bill Huelbig
Bill Huelbig on June 30, 2012 at 8:15 am

Saps: I’d say the people on those long lines definitely came in the middle. I was on a four-hour line for the 1969 Christmas show, “A Boy Named Charlie Brown”, and we were just glad to finally get in the building. The movie was already playing, but we just found seats and tried to figure out what was going on. I also saw “The Out-of-Towners” at the Hall a few months later under those same circumstances. The line wasn’t as long, but we did walk in while the movie had already been playing for about 45 minutes.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 30, 2012 at 7:35 am

Did they come into Radio City in the middle of the show as they did at other movie theaters (“this is where we came in”) in the pre-Psycho days? It must have been mild chaos with all the comings and goings.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on June 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm

If only the Music Hall’s screen was that large!

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on June 11, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Three years before Gone with the wind became a hit.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on May 21, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I miss the 6th Avenue el, (seen in the photo five responses above this) even thought it was torn down decades before I was born.