Radio City Music Hall

1260 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10020

Showing 201 - 225 of 3,430 comments

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on November 25, 2012 at 12:02 am

NBC TV’s 1st look show is right now doing an inside look at Radio City’s Christmas show

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 24, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I wish it was easier to get someone up here. It’s hard enough getting in myself sometimes. I do the same thing when I go to theaters. Always looking to the booth.

markp
markp on November 24, 2012 at 5:51 pm

rcdt55b, I wish someday, this ol projectionist of almost 37 years could somehow pay a visit and see the projection booth. My wife works the Christmas show every year as a dresser for the Rockettes. I saw the show a few weeks ago, on the 8th. Great as always. I found myself several times looking back up to the portholes. I was 8 rows from the stage. Funny how you tend to do that when your a projectionist.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 24, 2012 at 4:50 pm

We get 2 new prints, at the beginning of the run, when they change any of the sponsors. The current print started at the beginning of last years show. We just started using the backup print a few days ago.

moviebuff82
moviebuff82 on November 24, 2012 at 4:29 pm

how old is the film print?

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on November 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Interestingly, very few issues so far this year. They seem to have fixed the bus (finally) and video wall. Thank goodness the film is still in………

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on November 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm

The New York Times has reviewed the 2012 Christmas Spectacular here: nytimes

jgraif
jgraif on November 13, 2012 at 5:31 am

i remember standing in line with my parents in the early 1960’s, in the bitter, nyc, winter cold, waiting to enter the music hall and enjoy the xmas show. i had no idea that, in an already forgotten era, such lines were common at the “premier” houses, where patrons would be entertained by small, “lobby organs” while they waited to be seated. in my case, my father would send my mother and me down to the underground concourse that connected all of rockefeller center to seek warmth while he endured the cold. once inside, i was mesmerized by the organ and its power. all i wanted was to play it. fortunately, i was afforded the chance in 1980, when i played 8 performances of the stage show “america” as a substitute at the opposite prompt (stage right) console. i was supporting my good friend, bob maidhof, who, at the time, was the head organist. as a friend of mine remarked at the time, “if you were a baseball player, this would have been your night in yankee stadium.”

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on November 6, 2012 at 1:11 am

I like the diagram in that article, Tinseltoes. I remember queuing up in lines like that for holiday shows at RCMH, as a child in the ‘70’s. At that time, the line went east down 50th Street, as depicted in the Boxoffice article, but then it would zig-zag back and forth in the Plaza behind the building, like the queue for a popular Disney World attraction.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on November 5, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Before gas station waiting lines, there was always Radio City Music Hall: boxoffice

hanksykes
hanksykes on October 10, 2012 at 10:53 pm

As some folks know The Elliot Hall of Music is part of Purdue University so the level of talent was superb.

hanksykes
hanksykes on October 10, 2012 at 10:52 pm

The Elliot Hall of Music used to have an annual Christmas Show that was pre-recorded for PBS an it was as massive at the show at RCMH. My only complaint with the shows were instead of letting the home audience see the eleborate scene changes during the show the video technical directors were so busy zooming and moving the camera shots that it made one dizzy. I wish I could have been there to see the beautifully coordinated scenic crews doing their art at its best.The sets were splendidly eleborate and magical, as often as the moving shots would pause for 30 seconds.

DavidM
DavidM on October 10, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Is there anything other than the marquee title to commemorate the 85th Anniversary of the Rockettes? I assume the “85th” designation goes back to the debut of the Roxyettes at the Roxy Theater.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 10, 2012 at 6:04 pm

No changes this year including the 70MM 3-D.

LuisV
LuisV on October 10, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Not really impressed by the limited photos of the Elliot Hall of Music. In no where near the same league as Radio City. That said, this appears to be the biggest theater no one has ever heard of no? :–)

Vito
Vito on October 10, 2012 at 10:11 am

Oh my goodness is it that time again already? rcd 55b look forward to your report on how the show is getting ready, changes thus year? how about the 70mm 3-D will that stuill be used? Details and pictures please thanks so much

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on October 10, 2012 at 2:47 am

Can anyone say “Christmas Spectacular??????” Yes, we are starting up again…………

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on October 4, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Sixty-seven years ago today, MGM’s eagerly-awaited and NYC-localed “Week-end at the Waldorf” opened its premiere engagment at RCMH, with Ginger Rogers, Lana Turner, Walter Pidgeon, and Van Johnson topping the cast. The B&W melodrama had similarities to MGM’s earlier blockbuster, “Grand Hotel,” but wasn’t a remake. Leon Leonidoff’s stage spectacular, “Golden Harvest,” was reduced in length due to the film’s runnng time of two hours and ten minutes.

Ed Solero
Ed Solero on September 4, 2012 at 10:50 pm

There’s a more elaborate history for the Elliot Hall of Music here, identifying the aforementioned RCMH designer as J. Andre Fouilhoux.

Mike (saps)
Mike (saps) on September 4, 2012 at 5:40 pm

The designer for Radio City Music Hall was a consulting architect for the Purdue (Elliot) Hall of Music. Photo

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on September 4, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Bigger than Radio City Music Hall: Boxoffice

JayFMould
JayFMould on August 31, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Was just noticing the July 26th note. I was working at the Hall that morning, and as was my custom I usually went off for lunch break just after the feature started. When I and the rest of the first group got back we knew by the different activity around that something had happened. Emma Heller was the nurse on duty that morning, and she was headed for the exec car (private elevator) at the front of the house and asked what all the extra activity around the front of the house was, as we heard nothing when we were in the Service Staff Quarters on the Grand Lounge Level before as we returned from outside and trying to back upstairs on time. She filled us in. As I recall as I was upstairs that day the third mezz was closed and blocked due to a shortage of staff and the light business.

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on August 31, 2012 at 5:30 pm

The Sixth Avenue “el” did add a certain magic to early photos of RCMH: nypl

Tinseltoes
Tinseltoes on August 31, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Photos at bottom of the page in this February 1939 trade journal show the start of demolition of the Sixth Avenue Elevated Subway structure outside RCMH: Boxoffice