Uptown Theater

3426 Connecticut Avenue NW,
Washington, DC 20008

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on July 20, 2007 at 7:44 pm

Almost nobody complains???? You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. I’m in theaters for 10 hours a day at least 4 days a week. Don’t tell me nobody complains. I hear about it all the time. I have also seen the majority of single screen theaters split or close unless used for other venues. Of course the screen and sound make a difference, but if you don’t have enough people coming, these theaters will not survive. That’s just a fact.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 20, 2007 at 6:43 pm

You’ve heard “many” complain? Really! Then pigs are flying. (Link a blog, cinematour, or other website to “many”!) I’ve been to countless theaters in numerous cities and know that no matter how lousy projection is, almost nobody actually commplains to the management. I’ve seen movies at the Uptown since 1985. Yes, I’d prefer 70 mm 6 track films with union projectionist, and 35 mm also with staff of Circle, Cineplex Odeon or Loews (which got rid of the union). However, with its enormous screen, the projection & sound at the Uptown make it a great experience!

I’m not doubting on occasion there have been problems, some mentoned above, just as there are at most movie theaters. But, most screenings at the Uptown have not been a problem.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on July 20, 2007 at 6:35 pm

I’m not the one scaring them away. I have heard many very unhappy customers complain about the presentation there since they let the operators go. I have seen it firsthand too. Believe me, I love these big old places more than anything. They are just becoming harder to find these days.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on July 20, 2007 at 6:32 pm

The only Lafayette theater I found on here with a single screen also runs other events during the year. That’s the only way it can stay around.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 20, 2007 at 6:31 pm

I’d prefer union projectionists, but strongly disagree about “destroyed” presentation. The films I’ve seen have been projected fine. The Uptown is still a great movie going experience. Please don’t scare the audience away because you are upset about the union.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on July 20, 2007 at 6:28 pm

AMC will run this theater to the ground and it will close running movies alone. They already destroyed the presentation by getting rid of the union operators.

JohnMessick
JohnMessick on July 20, 2007 at 6:18 pm

RCDTJ..checkout the Lafayette theater.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 20, 2007 at 6:16 pm

Properly run & programmed, the Uptown still has life left in it for movies!

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on July 20, 2007 at 6:11 pm

Digital projection will not save this theater. Unfortunately, I don’t think anything will. Single screen theaters just can’t stay open by showing only movies.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on July 20, 2007 at 10:51 am

On the news last night, they reported that the community leaders are concerned about increased traffic because of the church. Maybe this will not happen at all. On the other hand, the argument about traffic can be said about the theater, itself, when it books those blockbusters that would have people lining up and around the block.

If the theater becomes a satellite church, that means they will need to install some kind of satellite/digital projection system. Perhaps this new DP system will show movies as well? :)

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 20, 2007 at 10:28 am

Stand outside on Sunday mornings and protest the church if you like.

However, boycotting movies would be counterproductive! if people don’t attend movies at the Uptown, then it will for sure cease movies and become something else like a full time church, CVS, etc. For that matter, if movie attendence was higher, there would be no need to rent out the Uptown. The Georgetown megaplex has Sunday morning movies.

Hephaestion
Hephaestion on July 20, 2007 at 10:23 am

The McLean Bible Church is an aggressively anti-gay church with a ministry encouraging us gay folks to “pray the gay away…”

I, for one, will never go to the Uptown Theater again as long as they let their space be used by an organization that dehumanizes and insults me. This is an insult to their gay customers. And why on earth the McLean Bible Church would seek to locate in a largely Jewish neighborhood like Cleveland Park is also a mystery to me.

JohnMessick
JohnMessick on July 19, 2007 at 5:32 pm

Another way to make a buck, nothing wrong with that. I know of a theater in Carlisle Pennsylvania that rents to a church on Sunday mornings. Both church and theater are happy with the arrangements.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on July 19, 2007 at 5:22 pm

$300/week for theater rental on a Sun AM basis doesn’t sound bad at all to me. That’s probably more than what the theater rakes in on shows that early anyway, if they do have them that early.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 19, 2007 at 4:02 pm

According to your earlier comment, Piddy, the lease is up in early 2008, so if that’s correct, and if you are correct that AMC is who has done the leasing (for which they might need permission from the owner, depending on the lease) then either it is a rather short term rental or AMC has renewed the lease?

SWATMAN
SWATMAN on July 19, 2007 at 3:59 pm

The obviously unfocused pimps at AMC have rented out the palace on Sunday mornings from 7 am to noon for a whopping $300 per week. I am sure that will boost the corporate bottom line to new heights. This AMC is disgusting.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 19, 2007 at 3:45 pm

Ah, I found this item on the Internet from this fellow who seems to be listed as the Captain of the Washington DC blogs:

posted by Tom Bridge at 11:12 PM on July 18, 2007
There was some hullaballoo this afternoon on DC Drinking Liberally, and the Cleveland Park Yahoo Group about the McLean Bible Church buying the Uptown Theatre. Not happening. The Uptown is merely being rented on Sunday mornings as an outreach service to the public.

Fear not, you can still get your Godless Heathen on while watching Transformers.

For now.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 19, 2007 at 3:40 pm

This says it is Sunday mornings. Will the Uptown still be a moviehouse?

MBC Uptown is a Community Campus of McLean Bible Church. MBC will rent the historic Uptown Theater in Cleveland Park on Sunday mornings. The campus will impact the District of Columbia and nearby communities in both Maryland and Northern Virginia.

Ministries at MBC Uptown will include:

Videocast messages by Lon Solomon and the MBC Teaching Team
Worship led by the MBC Worship Leaders and Bands
Localized ministry teams and outreach events
Opportunities to connect in biblical community with others who live in the DC metro area
Weekly services will start in January 2008.

SWATMAN
SWATMAN on July 19, 2007 at 3:27 pm

What the F—K is with AMC. The Uptown Theatre is becoming a Church.I found this on Mclean Bible Church website. In January we will be launching two community campuses. Whether you ride the metro or not, this guide is to help you pray for our new location at the Uptown Theatre in Cleveland Park, DC. As you ride the metro to and from work use the different stops to move from prayer topic to prayer topic, or you can simply use this in your own personal time with God no matter where you are.

Van Ness- UDC Stop
As we approach the Cleveland Park stop let’s begin to focus in on our New location at the Uptown Theatre.

Pray that as we get the word out about this location of our church people would hear the message and commit to attending.
Pray that current MBC attendee’s and small groups who live in this area would commit to making this their church location.
Pray that current MBC attendee’s in this area will dedicate themselves to serving so that this location is launched with excellence.
What is God calling you to do to make our community campus initiative a success? Ask God to show you exactly what He wants you to do to make this campus a success or what He wants you to do to help pave the way for a campus in your community.

The community doesn’t like the Idea.

rlvjr
rlvjr on June 24, 2007 at 9:24 pm

For PIRATES #3 we skipped the multiplex and saw it on the UPTOWN’s huge curved screen with superior stereo. It was well worth the extra few miles for the exceptional experience. In case anyone doesn’t know, the price is the same. AMC management, however, is not the best; and a long-time customer will be aware of the difference —– as prior owners (particularly Warner, Pedas Bros) were determined to keep the UPTOWN as Washington’s shining jewel.

Giles
Giles on May 31, 2007 at 5:22 am

Piddy, what’s your source of info on AMC not renewing it’s lease on the Uptown? It will be interesting to see if any major theatre chain will step up to the plate in keeping this Washington DC landmark open. If not, I would find it essential an organization like the Avalon’s ‘Avalon Theatre Project’ be created for the Uptown. One thing that is paramount for patron’s like myself, would be if the Uptown actually had digital projection. Theatres like the Ziegfeld, the Arclight, Seattle’s Cinerama have displayed that DLP can work on huge screens – for the Uptown not to be outfitted as such, would be counterintuitive in delivering the best digital projection can provide.

Life's Too Short
Life's Too Short on May 16, 2007 at 4:08 pm

This place is cool. My recollection of the screen is that it is GIANT. I was in DC once years ago and saw a film I could care less about just to check the Uptown out: When Harry Met Sally.

Hope it lives on for another chapter.

SWATMAN
SWATMAN on April 8, 2007 at 6:47 am

I have some bad news that I heard. AMC will not renew the Lease on the Uptown Theatre. The lease is up in the beginning or spring of 2008. AMC doesn’t give a F about the Theatre. If I had the money I would keep it open.

sguttag
sguttag on February 25, 2007 at 5:10 pm

Sorry…I didn’t start showing movies in theatres until 1980 so no help for you on a 1975 question.

The introduction of 2001 was improved upon after your viewing at the AFI…much mention of it being 70mm was made as well as preparing the audience for the tapping in the surrounds for the middle 1/3 of the film.

Don’t hold your breath on 4K digital coming any time soon…Sony is the only one trying it at the moment and they don’t have the best name in the Cinema industry…even Regal has publically stated it isn’t ready and feels very much like an experimental machine. My own personal view of SXRD with 65mm source material was very underwhelming.

In case you haven’t noticed, I’m involved in some way with most of the presentation houses, especially the non-chain theatres…including the Senator in Baltimore. You may find it odd, but the Senator’s sound system and the Uptown’s are more similar then they are different!

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on February 25, 2007 at 4:52 pm

Steve,

Most of the younger generation don’t even know what 70mm is. On my AFI Silver post, I made mention of the fact that the introduction of the manager (probably someone just out of school) should have made some mention of it since a lot of the audience, for “2001: A Space Odyssey”, was probably in their 20s or much, much younger. I saw kids who were probably 5 and 6 in the front rows! Since a lot of them fuel the box office numbers these days, education is important.

I’ve written to Loews, now AMC, to no avail. Maybe the independents will have better luck like Balto’s Senator, but Mr. Kiefaber has been mum to 70mm posts for the last 3 years and has recently been preoccupied with his venue’s financial woes. But if the Uptown continues with its lousy projection, 70mm or 35mm, it will die.

I suppose the next time we see “2001” at the Uptown it will be in glorious 4K digital on the curve screen. ;)

With the Dreamgirls recent Oscar wins, I suspect it will stay around a little longer.