Uptown Theater

3426 Connecticut Avenue NW,
Washington, DC 20008

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on July 21, 2007 at 2:04 am

That was my whole point Howard. The majority of the single screens close because they can’t get the business to stay open. Amc lowering their presentation standards just made it worse. As an audience member, how can you possibly tell what percentage of the audience complains. Also, I have a lot of family, friends and people in my field that live and work near the Uptown. I trust what they tell me. I believe it too. The fact is, the presentation at the Uptown HAS suffered whether you want to admit it or not. If everyone wants to continue to pay the outrageous prices that they do for a subpar performance than go right ahead. Along with Jodar, I am sure there are plenty more people that feel the same way.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 21, 2007 at 1:26 am

JodarMovieFan, did you say something to the staff? I’ve been there since, to Spiderman 3, and didn’t see any scratches.

JohnMessick
JohnMessick on July 20, 2007 at 10:05 pm

Lafayette theater, Suffern New York

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on July 20, 2007 at 6:13 pm

Since there’s no staging area at the Uptown, there would be no room for singing or preaching., I suspect there would be just the satellite feed of the main service.

As an infrequent patron of the Uptown, they have to do it right all the time, everytime, for people to come back to this place on a regular basis. I paid $10 to watch Dreamgirls with a scratch down the screen during its play…same thing during Sith. I wonder if its still there during the current run of Potter. Based on my experiences there of late, its not worth it for me to drive into town to see movies here unless its a classic one or in 70mm.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 20, 2007 at 4:54 pm

I meant that in various theaters, sound sometimes is lowered. I didn’t mean at the Uptown.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 20, 2007 at 4:53 pm

Where do you work? New York? But, you are hearing Uptown customers complain? You are a projectionist, right? A union projectionist?

As an audience member, my perception is different. It seems that 99% of the audience doesn’t complain as long as the movie runs. If you are a projectionist, yes, I’m sure you get complaints. I often hear that the sound has been turned low because one person asked. (I’m not saying you would do that).

Yes, most single screeners are gone, but there are still some special ones that have survived. I don’t know if considering the Uptown’s huge screen, they could also host some live events (other than church).

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on July 20, 2007 at 4:44 pm

Almost nobody complains???? You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. I’m in theaters for 10 hours a day at least 4 days a week. Don’t tell me nobody complains. I hear about it all the time. I have also seen the majority of single screen theaters split or close unless used for other venues. Of course the screen and sound make a difference, but if you don’t have enough people coming, these theaters will not survive. That’s just a fact.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 20, 2007 at 3:43 pm

You’ve heard “many” complain? Really! Then pigs are flying. (Link a blog, cinematour, or other website to “many”!) I’ve been to countless theaters in numerous cities and know that no matter how lousy projection is, almost nobody actually commplains to the management. I’ve seen movies at the Uptown since 1985. Yes, I’d prefer 70 mm 6 track films with union projectionist, and 35 mm also with staff of Circle, Cineplex Odeon or Loews (which got rid of the union). However, with its enormous screen, the projection & sound at the Uptown make it a great experience!

I’m not doubting on occasion there have been problems, some mentoned above, just as there are at most movie theaters. But, most screenings at the Uptown have not been a problem.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on July 20, 2007 at 3:35 pm

I’m not the one scaring them away. I have heard many very unhappy customers complain about the presentation there since they let the operators go. I have seen it firsthand too. Believe me, I love these big old places more than anything. They are just becoming harder to find these days.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on July 20, 2007 at 3:32 pm

The only Lafayette theater I found on here with a single screen also runs other events during the year. That’s the only way it can stay around.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 20, 2007 at 3:31 pm

I’d prefer union projectionists, but strongly disagree about “destroyed” presentation. The films I’ve seen have been projected fine. The Uptown is still a great movie going experience. Please don’t scare the audience away because you are upset about the union.

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on July 20, 2007 at 3:28 pm

AMC will run this theater to the ground and it will close running movies alone. They already destroyed the presentation by getting rid of the union operators.

JohnMessick
JohnMessick on July 20, 2007 at 3:18 pm

RCDTJ..checkout the Lafayette theater.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 20, 2007 at 3:16 pm

Properly run & programmed, the Uptown still has life left in it for movies!

rcdt55b
rcdt55b on July 20, 2007 at 3:11 pm

Digital projection will not save this theater. Unfortunately, I don’t think anything will. Single screen theaters just can’t stay open by showing only movies.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on July 20, 2007 at 7:51 am

On the news last night, they reported that the community leaders are concerned about increased traffic because of the church. Maybe this will not happen at all. On the other hand, the argument about traffic can be said about the theater, itself, when it books those blockbusters that would have people lining up and around the block.

If the theater becomes a satellite church, that means they will need to install some kind of satellite/digital projection system. Perhaps this new DP system will show movies as well? :)

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 20, 2007 at 7:28 am

Stand outside on Sunday mornings and protest the church if you like.

However, boycotting movies would be counterproductive! if people don’t attend movies at the Uptown, then it will for sure cease movies and become something else like a full time church, CVS, etc. For that matter, if movie attendence was higher, there would be no need to rent out the Uptown. The Georgetown megaplex has Sunday morning movies.

Hephaestion
Hephaestion on July 20, 2007 at 7:23 am

The McLean Bible Church is an aggressively anti-gay church with a ministry encouraging us gay folks to “pray the gay away…”

I, for one, will never go to the Uptown Theater again as long as they let their space be used by an organization that dehumanizes and insults me. This is an insult to their gay customers. And why on earth the McLean Bible Church would seek to locate in a largely Jewish neighborhood like Cleveland Park is also a mystery to me.

JohnMessick
JohnMessick on July 19, 2007 at 2:32 pm

Another way to make a buck, nothing wrong with that. I know of a theater in Carlisle Pennsylvania that rents to a church on Sunday mornings. Both church and theater are happy with the arrangements.

JodarMovieFan
JodarMovieFan on July 19, 2007 at 2:22 pm

$300/week for theater rental on a Sun AM basis doesn’t sound bad at all to me. That’s probably more than what the theater rakes in on shows that early anyway, if they do have them that early.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 19, 2007 at 1:02 pm

According to your earlier comment, Piddy, the lease is up in early 2008, so if that’s correct, and if you are correct that AMC is who has done the leasing (for which they might need permission from the owner, depending on the lease) then either it is a rather short term rental or AMC has renewed the lease?

SWATMAN
SWATMAN on July 19, 2007 at 12:59 pm

The obviously unfocused pimps at AMC have rented out the palace on Sunday mornings from 7 am to noon for a whopping $300 per week. I am sure that will boost the corporate bottom line to new heights. This AMC is disgusting.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 19, 2007 at 12:45 pm

Ah, I found this item on the Internet from this fellow who seems to be listed as the Captain of the Washington DC blogs:

posted by Tom Bridge at 11:12 PM on July 18, 2007
There was some hullaballoo this afternoon on DC Drinking Liberally, and the Cleveland Park Yahoo Group about the McLean Bible Church buying the Uptown Theatre. Not happening. The Uptown is merely being rented on Sunday mornings as an outreach service to the public.

Fear not, you can still get your Godless Heathen on while watching Transformers.

For now.

HowardBHaas
HowardBHaas on July 19, 2007 at 12:40 pm

This says it is Sunday mornings. Will the Uptown still be a moviehouse?

MBC Uptown is a Community Campus of McLean Bible Church. MBC will rent the historic Uptown Theater in Cleveland Park on Sunday mornings. The campus will impact the District of Columbia and nearby communities in both Maryland and Northern Virginia.

Ministries at MBC Uptown will include:

Videocast messages by Lon Solomon and the MBC Teaching Team
Worship led by the MBC Worship Leaders and Bands
Localized ministry teams and outreach events
Opportunities to connect in biblical community with others who live in the DC metro area
Weekly services will start in January 2008.

SWATMAN
SWATMAN on July 19, 2007 at 12:27 pm

What the F—K is with AMC. The Uptown Theatre is becoming a Church.I found this on Mclean Bible Church website. In January we will be launching two community campuses. Whether you ride the metro or not, this guide is to help you pray for our new location at the Uptown Theatre in Cleveland Park, DC. As you ride the metro to and from work use the different stops to move from prayer topic to prayer topic, or you can simply use this in your own personal time with God no matter where you are.

Van Ness- UDC Stop
As we approach the Cleveland Park stop let’s begin to focus in on our New location at the Uptown Theatre.

Pray that as we get the word out about this location of our church people would hear the message and commit to attending.
Pray that current MBC attendee’s and small groups who live in this area would commit to making this their church location.
Pray that current MBC attendee’s in this area will dedicate themselves to serving so that this location is launched with excellence.
What is God calling you to do to make our community campus initiative a success? Ask God to show you exactly what He wants you to do to make this campus a success or what He wants you to do to help pave the way for a campus in your community.

The community doesn’t like the Idea.