Comments from Bloop

Bloop
Bloop commented about Loew's Oriental Theatre exterior on Apr 17, 2015 at 8:12 pm

I was here once – for a kiddie matinee in 1972 or so.

Bloop commented about Northport Theatre on Mar 10, 2015 at 9:00 pm

I cannot believe there is only 1 (now 2) postings on this theater! Movies I have seen at the Northport Theater: 1) Thoroughly Modern Millie 2) Take the Money and Run 3) Cabaret 4) Conquest of the Planet of the Apes 5) The Poseidon Adventure (reissue from 1974) 6) Grizzly 7) Mad Monster Party (!!!!!) 8) The Changling 9) Willow 10) the Ralph Bakshi animated Lord of the Rings movie (1979?) 11) Airport 1975 (on a snowy Saturday afternoon) 12) Beyond the Door (!) 13) The Three Musketeers 14) Blame it on Rio 15) Summer Rental 16) The Adams Family 17) The Exorcist (reissue from 1976) 18) All of Me

Addendum: in the spring/summer of 1975 me and a friend went there hoping to catch Monty Python and the Holy Grail (rated PG) but the co-feature was The Heartbreak Kid (a movie we had NO interest in whatsoever). It was rated R. So the box office lady said we could not get in because we were only about 15/16 at the time. We were bummed out !

The theater was modest but almost felt like a “movie palace Jr.” sort of. One very unusual feature was that, there was a big open partition in the back wall (no exit/entrance doors). So if you went to the lobby/ conscession stand with your head towards the screen you probably would not miss much of the movie. Not sure what the purpose of this was. Also, noise from the lobby would have been awful if you were sitting in the back row of the theater.

Bloop commented about Whitman Theatre on Feb 17, 2015 at 8:25 pm

I think the pylon is now gone! (Feb. 20015)

Bloop
Bloop commented about Larkfield Theatre - 1976 - night on Oct 31, 2014 at 4:33 pm

DND; thank you so much! I have so many happy memories from this theater !!!!

Bloop commented about Larkfield Theatre on Mar 20, 2013 at 8:26 am

Still no word from the granddaughter of Sarah Baker (who ran this theater) ? I added the Dumbo / Silent Running ad. I was actually at the Dumbo/ Lobo kiddie matinee in this very ad!

Bloop commented about Century's 110-Drive-In on Jan 11, 2013 at 11:50 pm

moviegoer! Thank you for that photo! It may be THE ONLY one that exists! A friend of mine on Facebook- who lives in Melville-was at that very show! Thank you again! It really means a lot to me.

Bloop commented about Larkfield Theatre on Mar 10, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Who added the Beyond the Valley of the Dolls ad ??????? I’m amazed!!!!!

Bloop commented about Larkfield Theatre on Mar 10, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Wow! One of my favorites and 15 minutes from where I lived at the time. Too bad I was only 8 years old! Whoever added this—please email me: shango7200@yahoo . com Thanks!!

Bloop commented about Larkfield Theatre on Feb 29, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I added a new photo of Larkfield circa 1976. It was taken from an old East Northport Junior High School yearbook. Sorry for the poor quality , but you can see the sign (which had red neon).

Bloop commented about John W. Engeman Theater on Jan 31, 2012 at 5:44 pm

To the site administrators : this was a busy local neighborhood MOVIE theater for almost 5 DECADES. It should not be represented here, as a “performing arts theatre” This site is not called “Performing Arts Treasures. Com” Please address this.

Bloop commented about Whitman Theatre on Jan 23, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I so remember the big iron comedy / tragedy wall sculptures on the inside of the theater. As kids, while waiting for the movie to start, we would ponder “Geez, imagine if they fell off the wall onto the packed house?” Thankfully , no Sensurround movies ever played there.

Bloop commented about Century's 110-Drive-In on Jan 19, 2012 at 3:04 am

If you look in the background you can see a bit of the snack bar. This is probably the only existing photo of this drive in theater !

Bloop commented about Whitman Theatre on Jan 19, 2012 at 2:55 am

It’s so rare to see old signs ANYWHERE on Long Island these days. Happy it’s still there & funny that it’s not worth vandalizing ?

Bloop commented about Larkfield Theatre on Jan 19, 2012 at 2:37 am

I will look for them and post them. Never heard from Baker’s granddaughter after the old posts on here….

Bloop commented about UA Cinema 150 on Jun 6, 2011 at 5:19 pm

more pix : http://snackbar-confidential.blogspot.com/2011/06/blog-post.html

Bloop commented about Whitman Theatre on May 9, 2011 at 5:42 am

My imagination? very few theaters had benches, seats, places to sit in the lobby; but the Whitman did as I recall ?? I loved the blue (and green mixed in ?) color scheme.

Bloop commented about Larkfield Theatre on May 9, 2011 at 5:28 am

One more thought about the Larkfield; I NEVER recall standing on a line to get in. Ever. I think because all they showed was second runs.

Bloop commented about RKO Commack Twin on May 2, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Not one mention of the Will Rogers donation can collections and film clip before all RKO movies in the 70s and 80s????? Your thoughts……

Bloop commented about UA Cinema 150 on May 2, 2011 at 4:34 pm

also saw “Return to Oz” there and the “Metropolis” reissue.

Bloop commented about UA Cinema 150 on May 2, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I was there on the “Little Shop of Horrors” night. Huge crowd. we did not get in!

Bloop commented about UA Cinema 150 on May 2, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Ironic, me and my high school girlfriend saw “Animal House” at the Syosset . I saw “Sgt. Pepper” at the York in Huntington Station to a near empty house. I wanted my money back!

Bloop commented about Syosset Triplex on May 2, 2011 at 4:27 pm

was “Alien” some sort of exclusive to Syosset in 1979? Me and my then high school girlfriend drove there to see it. We lived in East Northport so for the life of me, I cannot think of why we didn’t see it in Commack or Huntington? (the Larkfield theater would NEVER get a new bit hit movie-yet we could walk to our homes from it! LOL) Ditto “Animal House” from the same year. This theater reminded me of the original Shore in Huntington before it was a “1 & 2”.

Bloop commented about Syosset Triplex on May 2, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Last movie I saw there was ‘Delores Claiborne" , early to mid 1990s.

Bloop commented about Century's York Theatre on May 2, 2011 at 4:09 pm

There was a Woolworths in the same strip of stores (next door?) . I imagine that many patrons stopped there for candy before the show!

Bloop commented about Whitman Theatre on May 2, 2011 at 8:36 am

It’s like the monolith from “2001: a Space Odyssey” !