Comments from bolorkay

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on May 19, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Hi, Would anyone know if there is something “amiss” with the Loews Jersey web site? Whenever I tried to log onto their official site (using the link here at Cinema Treasures) I recieved what appeared to be un-decipherable “symbols” and some ads for “Cartier Wallets!!

???????????

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Apr 14, 2016 at 2:13 pm

Hi Pete, I was there for the Bond and Harryhausen presentations during those “Big Screen Classics” weekends… wouldn’t have missed them for the world on the Lafayette’s giant screen. I just think that some of us are hoping that the Bond and Harryhausen films (just to name two of the many film series that had been featured at the Lafayette.) should not be forgotten within the current “scheme” of things.

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Apr 14, 2016 at 8:47 am

I’ll more than second your suggestion, Sam83 and (as I always do), how about some of the great Ray Harryhausen films?

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Feb 26, 2016 at 4:10 pm

This makes me appreciate even more what Pete and Nelson did with the “Big Screen Classics” program at the Lafayette for so many years.

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Feb 17, 2016 at 11:07 am

Any word on what the Spring Classics program might have to offer?

bolorkay commented about Film Forum on Feb 15, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Are there any thoughts as to what the future might hold with Film Forum beyond the month of May and into the spring and summer? FF is a true “city resource”.

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Feb 15, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Hi,

For those of us so inclined, the next Classic Film Weekend at the Landmark Loew’s Jersey Theatre will feature the following films:

-Friday, Feb. 19 – “Twelve Monkeys” (Terry Gilliam)

-Saturday, Feb. 20 – “Sullivan’s Travels” and

- "Arsenic and Old Lace"

(all presented in 35 mm.)

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Feb 15, 2016 at 3:08 pm

I totally agree, Sam83….“everyone needs to pay” for a ticket… everyone. (and this is coming from someone who is considered a “senior”) If we truly appreciate something such as the Classic Movie program at the Lafayette we need to open up our wallets every time at the Lafayette box office.

bolorkay commented about Summit Hippodrome Theatre on Dec 28, 2015 at 11:06 am

Very quiet around here for a few years!!! Is the Summit officially “dead in the water” awaiting some local contractor to take over? A true shame. I guess Union City has no need for this great little local cinema with the advent of the Secaucus and Ridgefield theaters many years ago. I still think that whoever owns this property should take a “cue” from what the FOL is doing with the great Loewe’s Jersey at Journal Square. The Friends of Loews is keeping that theater quite viable!

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Dec 3, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Very well said, RHETT52 albeit a somewhat sad admission for me as well. The former Big Screen Classic program was at its height when Nelson and Pete were running the show, so to speak. They always brought to the table films of various interest levels and styles which reflected the involvement of two people who really enjoyed their films. I’m wondering if that’s still the case with the current management group who runs The Lafayette these days. As you said, Nelson and Pete, whether it was with the Bond films, a tribute to Ray Harryhausen, a musical or two, the weekend animation festivals or… the Horror-Thon always brought to the Lafayette their unique perspective and wonderful cinematic variety. It’s a true shame that the patrons of the Lafayette did not seem to appreciate the two showmen who were running the “Big Screen Classics” at the time and their sense of (dare I say it) “good old-fashioned fun” that they presented each weekend at the Lafayette. I guess if this were the case during the last couple of years of the “Big Screen Classics”, perhaps Nelson and Pete might have been able to turn a profit.

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Nov 13, 2015 at 9:58 am

Hi mdvoskin,

Does the Loews have the ability to run digital? I always thought they were a strictly 35mm house. In any event the Loews is a venue that should be admired and supported in their efforts to keep a wonderful “movie palace” alive and well and for making an important chapter in film history available to us all.

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Sep 3, 2015 at 4:20 pm

Hi,

Any thoughts yet on the 2015 Ramapo Saturday Film Festival?

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Jul 5, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Vidanpar, Yes, there is a roadshow edition of Sand Pebbles (196 min. from 1966, I believe.) Not sure if the edition I saw at the Lafayette was newly – struck or an original from 1966 but it certainly was an almost flawless presentation. Robert Wise at the height of his directorial skills.

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Jul 5, 2015 at 11:33 am

Hi JeffS and (a belated) thank you for your attention to and clarification of my neglect in my not giving attention when attention is due to Pete Apruzzese for his program contributions during the “good old days” of “Big Screen Classics”. Certainly not intentional on my part. I just finished listening to excerpts from Elmer Bernstien’s score from “To Kill A Mockingbird” and this started me thinking about all of the great films that I saw for the first time on the big screen at the Lafayette. (The roadshow version of “The Sand Pebbles”, the Japanese version of the first “Godzilla” (Gojira), those great Harryhausen’s… to name a few) Here’s a thought for the Christmas holidays… how about bringing back the 1951 Alastair Sim “A Christmas Carol” or “The Bishop’s Wife” ?

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on May 29, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Congratulations to the FOL.

Great news indeed.

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on May 23, 2015 at 11:16 am

Point well taken, Mdvoskin. Personally I still enjoy the great Lafayette theater. I always made it a point to set aside a couple of hours every Saturday over the past ten years or so to attend the Film Classics series at least seven or eight times each season… but the films seemed a bit more “unusual” then, not the usual “cable classics” fare. It seems that, to some degree Nelson’s absence is being sorely felt.

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on May 23, 2015 at 9:09 am

This is just speculation on my part, but the last time I visited the Loews there was some discussion of a “Sci-Fi Weekend” for the end of this month. Any word on this yet?

bolorkay commented about Rosebud Theater on May 13, 2015 at 9:30 am

So sorry to hear this! It was a great alternative to the mall theaters especially because they featured “classic” films. Wishing the manager (and his daughter-in-law who helped run the establishment, I believe) well! I hope they find another, more lucrative way of bringing classic films to the masses who cannot always get to the Film Forum or the IFC center in New York.

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Aug 6, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Hi Altoblanco… “What does the Loews Jersey mean to me?” (Sorry, I don’t want this to sound like an elementary school “post-summer” creative writing essay !) But for all of us who love film, this question really should be answered. For me, if I were to respond to this question with one word, it would have to be “heritage”, both “personal” and “communal”. As a resident of Hudson County for the first 31 years of my life, just about every weekend would find me on the #1 Boulevard bus on my way to Journal Square, final destination.. the great Loews Jersey! (and occasionally the Stanley and the State.) I find it more than a bit disturbing that “heritage” is a concept that has such little value these days. (just about now, I am imagining those cries of “nostalgia” or “why don’t you stop living in the past !”) But where would any community be without a sense of its history and a respect for the foundations of that community? The Loews is one of those very few venues where I make it a point to attend not always for the films they present (although there have been some great programs such as the James Bond weekend, the Film Noir presentations and the early Sc-Fi Festivals) but just to sit and take in the surroundings of this grand architectural marvel! (a kind of “meditation” for me, if you will.)

Our Heritage needs to be preserved! (The FOL have done a wonderful job in this respect.) Bob

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Jul 31, 2014 at 10:51 am

Thanks, Movieguy for posting the Fall “Film Classics” schedule. Shaping up to be a very promising season. (On The Waterfront, Godfather II, Amadeus… who could ask for more?)

Perhaps I’m beating a “dead horse” but is there a chance for the return of the “Horror-thon” from a couple of seasons back ? One of my favorite film series at the Lafayette (although I guess I’m in the minority on this one.) but my guess is that it was not a very big money-maker for the Lafayette.

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Jul 8, 2014 at 7:14 am

At one of the last screenings of the spring season, it was mentioned that an advance list for the fall “classics” is available… will that list be posted here ? Thank You

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Jun 6, 2014 at 8:59 am

Any word yet as to what the films might be for next weekend, June 13 and 14 ?

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on May 29, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Has “Little Shop of Horrors” been removed from this weekend’s “Classisc Film” schedule? The Lafayette web site mentions that the next film on this schedule is “Rebel Without A Cause” on June 7th.

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Mar 28, 2014 at 11:00 am

Agreed, movieguy. “Glorious” is certainly the word for what the Loews does with their 35mm film programs!

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Mar 28, 2014 at 8:38 am

Just got the e-mail on 3/26…. John Huston’s “The African Queen” (with Bogart and Hepburn) will be screened this Saturday at 7 P.M. at the Landmark Loews Jersey.