Comments from bolorkay

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Jul 5, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Vidanpar, Yes, there is a roadshow edition of Sand Pebbles (196 min. from 1966, I believe.) Not sure if the edition I saw at the Lafayette was newly – struck or an original from 1966 but it certainly was an almost flawless presentation. Robert Wise at the height of his directorial skills.

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Jul 5, 2015 at 11:33 am

Hi JeffS and (a belated) thank you for your attention to and clarification of my neglect in my not giving attention when attention is due to Pete Apruzzese for his program contributions during the “good old days” of “Big Screen Classics”. Certainly not intentional on my part. I just finished listening to excerpts from Elmer Bernstien’s score from “To Kill A Mockingbird” and this started me thinking about all of the great films that I saw for the first time on the big screen at the Lafayette. (The roadshow version of “The Sand Pebbles”, the Japanese version of the first “Godzilla” (Gojira), those great Harryhausen’s… to name a few) Here’s a thought for the Christmas holidays… how about bringing back the 1951 Alastair Sim “A Christmas Carol” or “The Bishop’s Wife” ?

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on May 29, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Congratulations to the FOL.

Great news indeed.

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on May 23, 2015 at 11:16 am

Point well taken, Mdvoskin. Personally I still enjoy the great Lafayette theater. I always made it a point to set aside a couple of hours every Saturday over the past ten years or so to attend the Film Classics series at least seven or eight times each season… but the films seemed a bit more “unusual” then, not the usual “cable classics” fare. It seems that, to some degree Nelson’s absence is being sorely felt.

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on May 23, 2015 at 9:09 am

This is just speculation on my part, but the last time I visited the Loews there was some discussion of a “Sci-Fi Weekend” for the end of this month. Any word on this yet?

bolorkay commented about Rosebud Theater on May 13, 2015 at 9:30 am

So sorry to hear this! It was a great alternative to the mall theaters especially because they featured “classic” films. Wishing the manager (and his daughter-in-law who helped run the establishment, I believe) well! I hope they find another, more lucrative way of bringing classic films to the masses who cannot always get to the Film Forum or the IFC center in New York.

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Aug 6, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Hi Altoblanco… “What does the Loews Jersey mean to me?” (Sorry, I don’t want this to sound like an elementary school “post-summer” creative writing essay !) But for all of us who love film, this question really should be answered. For me, if I were to respond to this question with one word, it would have to be “heritage”, both “personal” and “communal”. As a resident of Hudson County for the first 31 years of my life, just about every weekend would find me on the #1 Boulevard bus on my way to Journal Square, final destination.. the great Loews Jersey! (and occasionally the Stanley and the State.) I find it more than a bit disturbing that “heritage” is a concept that has such little value these days. (just about now, I am imagining those cries of “nostalgia” or “why don’t you stop living in the past !”) But where would any community be without a sense of its history and a respect for the foundations of that community? The Loews is one of those very few venues where I make it a point to attend not always for the films they present (although there have been some great programs such as the James Bond weekend, the Film Noir presentations and the early Sc-Fi Festivals) but just to sit and take in the surroundings of this grand architectural marvel! (a kind of “meditation” for me, if you will.)

Our Heritage needs to be preserved! (The FOL have done a wonderful job in this respect.) Bob

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Jul 31, 2014 at 10:51 am

Thanks, Movieguy for posting the Fall “Film Classics” schedule. Shaping up to be a very promising season. (On The Waterfront, Godfather II, Amadeus… who could ask for more?)

Perhaps I’m beating a “dead horse” but is there a chance for the return of the “Horror-thon” from a couple of seasons back ? One of my favorite film series at the Lafayette (although I guess I’m in the minority on this one.) but my guess is that it was not a very big money-maker for the Lafayette.

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Jul 8, 2014 at 7:14 am

At one of the last screenings of the spring season, it was mentioned that an advance list for the fall “classics” is available… will that list be posted here ? Thank You

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Jun 6, 2014 at 8:59 am

Any word yet as to what the films might be for next weekend, June 13 and 14 ?

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on May 29, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Has “Little Shop of Horrors” been removed from this weekend’s “Classisc Film” schedule? The Lafayette web site mentions that the next film on this schedule is “Rebel Without A Cause” on June 7th.

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Mar 28, 2014 at 11:00 am

Agreed, movieguy. “Glorious” is certainly the word for what the Loews does with their 35mm film programs!

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Mar 28, 2014 at 8:38 am

Just got the e-mail on 3/26…. John Huston’s “The African Queen” (with Bogart and Hepburn) will be screened this Saturday at 7 P.M. at the Landmark Loews Jersey.

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Feb 17, 2014 at 10:38 am

I know it’s way too early but, any thoughts as to what the Spring (weekend) Film Festival might bring ? Cabin feaver strikes again! R.I.P. Mr. Barker.

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Feb 16, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Very quiet (in terms of films) for the remainder of this month and into March… I hope all is well at this great theater.

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Feb 5, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Thanks, FOL for that great 35mm presentation of “Jaws” this past weekend. One of those movies that just keeps getting better with time, especially on Loew’s huge screen. Very nice turnout for a film that did not recieve very much advance publicity. Looking forward to the rest of February and March to see what surprises are in store for us.

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Jan 28, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Yes. “Jaws” will be screened this Sat., Feb 1 at 7 P.M.

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Jan 11, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Hello,

Any news/thoughts on the up-coming Classic Film Weekends at the Lafayette?

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Jan 6, 2014 at 9:48 am

NYCer, In a year-end email from the Friends of Loew’s summarizing some of the great programs of 2013 one of the “frustrations” mentioned was that the government funding coming from Jersey City never seemed to materialize. (If I have my facts straight.) Would this be the same funding/support for renovations mentioned in your post of Nov. 12 ?

bolorkay commented about Teaneck Cinemas on Jan 1, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Hi, Would anyone know if the new owners of the Teaneck Cinema will continue to use the services of Moviefone.com to up-date their showtimes ? (For me, this is my main source of movie information.) I’ve only noticed thier showtimes on Fandango.

bolorkay commented about Loew's Jersey Theatre on Jan 1, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Any thoughts yet on the monthly film programs for the month of January ?

bolorkay commented about Teaneck Cinemas on Dec 24, 2013 at 9:27 am

Does anyone know if there are plans to bring into the Teaneck Cinema a “classic film” program as was the case with the former owners?

bolorkay commented about Lafayette Theatre on Dec 24, 2013 at 9:24 am

Happy and Healthy Holiday wishes to everyone at the Lafayette family.

Looking forward to many film classics in 2014.

bolorkay commented about Teaneck Cinemas on Dec 20, 2013 at 12:21 pm

This is very good news, John. Can’t wait to pay a visit during the holidays.

Would you know if they have the capacity for both 35mm and digital, or are they 100% digital, now?

Happy Holidays, Bob

bolorkay commented about Film Forum on Oct 10, 2013 at 7:22 am

Praise and a heart-felt thank-you to Film Forum for bring back The “Sci-Fi Festival” this year. I hope it was a big money-maker for you. Love to see this come back every summer, again.